Panda Ayes: Sign-Up For WoW Mists Of Pandaria Beta

By Craig Pearson on March 21st, 2012 at 1:30 pm.

First in line! Score!
Blizzard likes betas. I’ve never known a company to be quite so willing to let people prod at their work-in-progress game stuff. It’s almost as if they get something out of it in return! My theory is while you play, they take the vast amounts of data that you generate and output it as raw code. That code is then tinted green and displayed on a black background and just continues to scroll day and night. When Blizzard’s monitors have been on too long with no interference from the user, the code is then displayed. Internally I believe this to be called a “Matrix Screen Saver”. So a beta to their upcoming World of Warcraft expansion Mists of Pandaria™ was inevitable, because after Diablo III’s launch everyone at Blizzard will be taking some much needed foot-on-table time, and those screens will need looking after. And if you’d like to hop into the Pandaria beta, there are a few instructions for you to follow.

You can head to Battlenet and sign-up for a beta at the beta opt-in page. This obviously puts you in a big virtual queue of people, with no guarantee of entry. If you fancy getting preferential treatment, Blizzard will be inviting all Annual Pass members to join. Access via that will take into account how long you’ve been a player a subscriber. Then it’s the waiting game.

Via Blizzard.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. SanguineAngel says:

I had somehow missed this before…. Yikes. Wow what happened to you? You used to be such a classy gal.

Well… classier

2. Oof says:

I’d like everyone to do an exercise:

Remember Warcraft 1, 2 and 3. Now think of WoW.

• Nevard says:

I thought of it
      I pictured a graph of “time spent enjoying game” and “date released”
      It was an upwards pointing diagonal line

• Strabo says:

I have a smile on my face thinking of any of them. WoW is the one I spent most time with and had most fun with (and most frustrating moments too of course).

• Biscuitry says:

It’s not really at all reasonable to compare WoW with the other Warcraft games. They have about as much in common as… well, Command & Conquer does with Everquest, if you look at their ancestry. There’s some shared fiction, much of which got rewritten for WoW anyway, and that’s it.

• 2helix4u says:

@Biscuitry

Thats not really true though. The reason WoW plays like it does compared to other MMOs is because it is based off of the WC RTS engine.
        Thus its tight, responsive controls but relatively inflexible engine when it comes to ways the player characters can interact with eachother and the world.

• DrZhark says:

Hold on…
      Diablo1, Diablo 2, Diablo 3…..
      ???? WoD World of Diablo? HELL!

• Arglebargle says:

Didn’t particularly care for any of them.

Whatever is special for other people about the Warcraft lineage does not seem to affect me.

• Jerakal says:

It helps if you:
        -Grew up playing them.
        -Got drawn into the lore.
        -Like RTS games. (Or in WoW’s case, MMORPGs)
        -Have a soul.

3. Calneon says:

Currently have a ton of fun playing on a vanilla private WoW server. Completely different game to what retail is now.

• Biscuitry says:

You probably shouldn’t be mentioning that you’re doing that in a public forum.

• codename_bloodfist says:

Why not? The Blizzard Police is going to ban him from RPS?

• Xaromir says:

Their fault for not offering a often demanded service. People have been asking for Classic servers since BC, and since WotLK it basically became a cry and now WoW is dead and nobody wants to play it anymore. Besides that, they can ban his account as much as they want because he dosn’t need it if he plays on a free shard.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

“now WoW is dead”

You mean apart from having several times as many players as any competitor in their market.

• MidoriChaos says:

I’ve been playing since one of the open betas (I can’t remember which one now) and I have to say the only thing I miss about vanilla wow is the people I used to play with that don’t play any longer. While I do admit I wish people were a bit more social in PUGs through LFR/LFG (by social I mean at least replying to greetings and polite questions, and asking if they don’t know what it’s about) I can’t say I miss the talent system and classes being shoehorned into specific roles because certain specs were just bad, although you always had some people picking the ‘bad’ specs anyway.

• db1331 says:

Oh my god. I didn’t know you could still do that. I would absolutely still play WoW if I could go back to vanilla.

• Calneon says:

The server I’m on is World of Scriptcraft, there are a few bugs and small annoyances but in general it’s very similar to how vanilla was. Multiple guilds raiding AQ40, more in MC/BWL. Definitely give it a try, hit me up on there (same name) if you need any advice!

4. SlappyBag says:

World Of Warcraft: Kung Fu Panda Edition!

5. jezcentral says:

Hurrah! An expansion is coming out for a game that I have never, and will never, play, but will bring joy to many who will.

And that makes me happy.

6. It's not me it's you says:

I rock up in WoW once or twice a year and have a jolly good time. In fact, this goes for any MMO I’ve ever played. I’ve played most of them, though some not very much.

Between EQ and WoW however, I have spent months and months of my life. I’ve played them with my wife, with my friends, I’ve made new friends while playing and have also, on occasion, played them by myself (Illusion mask camps in EQ, what’s up?!). I don’t regret any of it, I’ve always enjoyed playing and once the enjoyment waned, I paused my subscription for a while and got on with my life until interest was rekindled.

I don’t get why people get so passionately bitter about these games. :/

(And yes, I’ll go and play with the pandas for a bit when this comes out. I’ll probably have a good time then, too!)

7. TheWhippetLord says:

Gritty voiceover man + happy panda people = incongruity

8. Moraven says:

That is a lot of Beta servers they have to setup for the Annual pass people.

Disappointed they put back in auto attacks for Monk. Thought it worked when I played the starting area at BlizzCon. Scenarios, challenge modes, and bunch other stuff to do should hopefully make content last a long time. And if you do get through something, there is something else to do other than level alts.

• jjujubird says:

I agree. I’m sure a ton of alpha testers were going “wahh it feels different I don’t like it!!!” but I don’t think they should have given in. Taking away auto-attack adds a lot of interesting dynamics to a class. More emphasis is put on using the best specials possible depending on the situation. The class is a bit burstier, which gives it more of a potent ninja/monk feel. Graphics-wise, each attack looks more calculated and meaningful when the monk isn’t swinging at such a regular pace.

9. baozi says:

“Ren” (as in pandaren) means “people” in mandarin, thought that was a funny. Coincidence though probably.

10. qqqq says:

Go take another look at the Cataclysm trailer.

Or the Lich King trailer.

As somebody who has little interest in WoW, I mean, both of these trailers are simply amazing, stunning trailers. Spectacular and impressive enough to make me curious about the game and wanting to see more. Compare that to the Panda trailer which has to lean on the past expansions to make itself interesting, combined with a flat, monotonous tone that leaves me with nothing but a “well that’s, OK, I guess.”

• Nevard says:

You’re comparing the Cinematic Trailers with a preview video, they’re not the same thing
      The Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Trailer isn’t out yet ;)

11. Ragnar says:

I played WoW for 4 years, through vanilla and BC, until I got burned out from leading a raid guild. I loved the raiding and instances, PvP battlegrounds were fun, and general leveling and quests were ok at best.

I just played the free SWTOR weekend, and have lost all interest in going back to WoW. I have no idea what the end game of SWTOR is like, but the quests and leveling process are so much better designed, and so much more fun. It’s amazing how much more interesting and engaging a quest is when you’re involved in a dialog, and have choices to make, rather than being hit with a wall of text.

12. UnravThreads says:

Wait. Wait. Is that the female model revealed months before an expansion releases?

Jebus H, Blizzard must really be trying this time.

13. pipman3000 says:

prediction: wow players will hate pandarens because they are fat and nerds hate fat people because they are also fat and they hate themselves for being fat.

• netarangi says:

Hahaha strong steriotyping. I’m a bodybuilder, I’m 79kg at 8-10% bodyfat, lowest I’ve hit is 5% for competition time.

Fat, you say?