SWTOR Free Weekend Incoming, For Newcomers Only

By Jim Rossignol on March 21st, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Me? No, it was like that when I got here.
The second free weekend for Star Wars: The Old Republic has been announced. The SWTOR team writes: “…we are excited to announce that individuals who did not take part in the first Weekend Pass Free Trial will have another opportunity to live out their very own Star Wars™ saga, for free, with the second Star Wars: The Old Republic Weekend Pass Free Trial! Participants in the previous Weekend Pass Free Trial and any other free trials are not eligible for this upcoming Weekend Pass Free Trial period.” This free weekend runs Thursday, March 22nd at 12:01AM CDT or 5:01AM GMT to Monday, March 26th at 2:00AM CDT or 7:00AM GMT. It also has the same limitations as the first, with a level cap, and chat exclusions. And it’s free! Freeeeeeeeeeee! Ahem. Sorry. I’ll make some tea.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. lordcooper says:

How much does it cost?

2. trjp says:

I did the last one (thoughts already posted in the forums here) – summary

“It’s WoW with lightsabers and a bit more story – download it for the CGI intros alone which are STUNNING”

It’s free – as he mentioned – and free is OK (the 12GB download is a bit brutal – as is the 20Gb of HDD space it swallows tho)

I made it to Level 12 and it was fast turning into a walk and grind the likes of which I cannot face again tho – I may as well go back to WoW for that (Scroll of Resurrection anyone? ) :)(

• Moraven says:

Message me on forums, same name. For scroll. If interested.

• mondomau says:

Same. Logged in on friend invite – Got lightsaber and got off planet, did a heroic instance or two, got bored. Combat was as dull and unoriginal as expected.
      I enjoyed the dialogue instances where you felt like your input really mattered, but mostly it was just wall of text spoken out loud.
      After the fairly unpromising Secret World video, I am now pinning all my hopes on GW2 as an MMO I can actually get into.

• ninasbusal says:

Fun stuff! Chocolate lighter! http://vork.us/go/hvs9

3. Hoaxfish says:

Kinda seems a little convoluted to start throwing all these things around for a “successful MMO”.

I don’t really see much point in 2 days of an MMO, when I think you only really get a feel for most MMOs after a month of two.

• Moraven says:

Wish they had a 14 day trial, or level cap trial.

• Supernaut says:

Well, the 2 days will give you a taste of what you’ll be doing until you reach 50. Then, you’ll almost be doing the same flashpoints (hard mode) and warzones, just to pick “new” gear (cause the only thing that changes is the color). This is the 2nd month i’m playing, and don’t know if i’ll renew the subscription. It’s not an awesome MMO, but it’s not that bad, you can waste some time until D3 comes out.

4. Mordsung says:

Like many games before it, SWTOR’s biggest PvP failing was the addition of gear with a PvP specific stat. The PvP in SWTOR is fantastic from level 10 to 49, but once you hit the 50 bracket the game and balance really breaks down under the stress of Expertise (similar to Resilience from WoW).

Time to kill becomes widely different from class to class. Some classes become beasts with PvP gear (my Juggernaut, once I got to about 550 Expertise, was able to dominate nearly any class 1 v 1. Many classes, such as Snipers/Gunslingers, I could win 2 v 1 due to how badly they’re affected by defensive stats) while other classes saw very little return from Expertise (such as the aformentioned Snipers/Gunslingers.) Healing classes like the Op/Scoundrel, due to a mechanic that allows quick successive instant self-heals, became far too tanky for a healing class.

The gear grind began to overshadow the evolution of a player’s own skill and PvP began to resemble the gear grinds of PvE content.

Good MMO PvP has to try and take gear out of the equation as much as possible, else skill becomes second to time spent playing and that is never a good thing for the longevity of a PvP system.

If they ditched Expertise all together, I’d argue SWTOR has some of the best PvP mechanics I’ve ever played with, but Expertise seriously ruined it enough for me to unsub and uninstall.

• Moraven says:

But the problem is what do you play PvP for? What do you get rewarded with? PvP stat is in there so people who do not raid can PvP and have their own progress. Vanilla WoW the raiders were the people grinding to top ranks because they could overpower people in BGs.
      So maybe raid and pvp drops be the same? Most PvP rewards are from simply grinding and having fun. You play PvP for fun, over time at a point you can buy new stuff. It is not the same as the dedication it takes to organize a guild and raid together. The playerbase would not like this.

Lv 10-49 pvp gets ruined eventually by twinks. Not about skill, about who has time and money to have the best possible setup at that level.

If you want balanced pvp, really have preset arena servers where all is the same. Or play a MOBA.

• Mordsung says:

Twinks don’t work in SWTOR as they can’t turn off PvP XP and the bolster buff makes it as though you’re wearing pretty much the same gear as everyone else.

As for “Why would you PvP?”

Same reason people have been playing CS1.6 for over a decade. If you make the game fun, people will play it forever without any need for reward.

These companies need to build a game into an MMO, not build an MMO into a game.

• jonfitt says:

Opinions on PVP are fascinating to me because this aspect of TOR is nothing that I will ever care about, but to some it is the only reason to play the game.
      Story content is the only thing that appeals to me, and when that’s done, I’m probably done too.

• cyrenic says:

Carebear!

• jonfitt says:

The Carebear stare is totally OP.

• jonfitt says:

If there was a PVP mode more like a MOBA where everyone starts with equal powers and the only differences are cosmetic I’d be up for that.
          I played one half round of PVP “Huttball” and it was the worst multiplayer game I’ve played in years. Everyone else was unkillable and could kill me instantly. It was like playing UT’s bombing run ball game where everyone else has shields and Redeemers and I was stuck with a Quake 2 pistol. I guess that could be considered fun? By weirdos.

• trjp says:

The only PvP I tried (it’s not what I’d play a SW MMO for) was a game of Huttball.

If I ever have to do that again I WILL cry – it was DREADFUL.

• jonfitt says:

Ah you too!
        You get the “You should try PVP it’s kewl” quest, so I tried it once. Never again.

• trjp says:

It’s ironic – the combat in-game has a decent sense of weight and looks OK but in PvP it’s just a lot of people chasing around waving glowsticks…

The arena was poorly designed for a game where you move REALLY SLOWLY too – and trial players lack most of the skills which would make them useful in any sort of PvP situation (I just did the super-stampy move and threw people off platforms for giggles or whirlwinded them on flame pads!!) :)

Every MMO I’ve played has managed to capture my attention for PvP to some degree EXCEPT this one. Sure, they all turn into grinds after a while but this one felt like a grind on my one and only try!!

• derbefrier says:

Heh I didn’t like hutt ball at first but once I figured it oit and found some competent teammates it really is a pretty fun little game. I am only a casuap pvper and focus mainly on pve but a little huttball everynow and then is good fun.

• Simon says:

As an all-round casual MMO player this statement is very true. Huttball is brutal to begin with, especially at lower levels when you don’t have access to a lot of the necessary CC skills. At least you don’t have to fight fully PVP geared level 50s as a noob now…

• Brun says:

Expertise is fundamentally different from Resilience.

Resilience has functioned differently over the course of its life, starting out as a reduction to critical hit chance and later evolving into a flat damage reduction. Resilience in WoW had two primary purposes when it was first introduced. The first was to provide a PvP-only stat to provide dedicated PvP players with a sense of progression, like you said. The second – and far more important – purpose of Resilience was slow down PvP combat. The single most common complaint about WoW PvP before Resilience was introduced was that it was too bursty. This is why in all of its implementations, Resilience has always been a purely defensive statistic.

Contrast that with Expertise. Expertise increases the damage/healing you do to other players as well as reducing the damage you take from other players. In other words, Expertise has equally powerful offensive and defensive components. When everyone on both sides of the PvP conflict has full PvP gear (and thus the same amount of Expertise), Expertise will do nothing at all except boost healing, because the offensive and defensive components will cancel each other out. In short, the point of Expertise seems to be simply to make people who have it better at obliterating people that don’t have it – which is completely irrelevant at the highest levels of competitive play, where EVERYONE has it.

The true flaws with both Resilience and Expertise is that they dramatically increase the value of healers – especially healers with innate durability – while reducing the value of good damage-dealers and generally making PvP a frustrating affair for them. Resilience did this by reducing the damage players took without any kind of corresponding reduction in healing power. This is why abilities that reduced healing (Mortal Strike, Wound Poison, etc.) have always been viewed as requirements for competitive PvP – it was the only way to reign in healing to the point where it was in line with the damage being dished out.

Expertise accomplishes it by including a healing power component, while the offensive and defensive damage components cancel each other out. It comes as no surprise then, that the most powerful (and durable) healer in SWTOR (Sith Sorcerer) is also considered one of the most brokenly overpowered (even when ignoring their utility spells like Sprint and Force Pull).

While I think that the Expertise issue is part of the PvP problem in SWTOR, it’s hardly the only one, or the most important. The insufficient diminishing returns system is the most serious problem.

5. Chaz says:

Tried the free week that subscribers could give out to their mates. After spending ages downloading the gargantuan 25Gb+ client over several nights, I only spent about 3-4 hours tops playing it. Just found it very boring. Apart from the Star Wars veneer there’s nothing really there to differentiate it from any other MMORPG currently doing the rounds.

6. TsunamiWombat says:

You’ll hit lvl 10 by the time you finish your ‘intro’ planet which barely scratches the games surface. Pretty weak trial.

• trjp says:

I made Level 12 – the cap was certainly higher last weekend!? :)

It took longer to get from 10-12 that it did from 0-10 tho – so I don’t think you’d get much further without giving-up eating and sleeping :)

• Matt says:

The cap is at level 15, which puts you into the tail end of the second planet you have access to.

• trjp says:

1 level before you get your spaceship tho??

I’m not sure I’d have made it anyway – it really was turning into a walkathon and the combat (I only tried one class – the Sith Inquisitor) was getting really, really dull.

7. speedwaystar says:

have fun trying to download the client in under a weekend. it’s 25+GB, and i was getting <100K/second when i grabbed it for the free 7 day trial.

8. Inglourious Badger says:

I played last weekends and…. enjoyed it. It’s a very grindy, old-skool MMO but the personal storyline and the choices you get to make in each quest do make it a lot better than my previous MMO experience of LOTRO. The writing is very Bioware, so if you liked KOTOR there’s a lot to like here. Just a shame there’s nothing particularly new going on.

I would happily pay a couple of months subs to carry on levelling my Bounty Hunter, or pay an up front fee, but not BOTH!? It’s not the best game ever, so I refuse to pay the most I’ve ever paid for a game to carry on. Until one of those price barriers goes, or it ends up free-to-play I am patient enough to wait.

• trjp says:

I did enjoy piling-up the dark-side points BUT it’s not always obvious why you get light/dark points (or points for your ‘pet’).

In one case I applauded someone for committing human sacrifice and got light side points – erm…

• Simon says:

It can be a little inconsistent at times!

The companion “likes” and “dislikes” are listed in the Codex entry for that character and there is an option for showing lightside and darkside gain on the conversation wheel buried in the menus. Once I had those figured out most of the confusion went away…

9. Rinox says:

Played the week-long invitation last week, and I must say I enjoyed some parts of the game a whole lot. Something that rarely anyone seems to mention but that left the biggest impression me was the group dialogues (if you’re playing with friends). It’s very cool to see everyone’s response to a given situation and how one person can steer it in one direction based on the roll/choice he makes. Granted, most dialogue is pretty one-sided, but the choices do matter (on a small scale) a lot of the times.

• trjp says:

I’d love to comment on the group stuff but no-one wanted to group.

Trial players can’t talk in general chat so you’re stuck whispering others directly – and that seldoms works.

the one time someone asked me to team-up with them was 1 min before I was due to head-out so I had to decline – shame but that’s trial weekends for you :)

10. jonfitt says:

I’m enjoying TOR. So far I’m playing it as a single player RPG with the occasional bit of co-op with the missus.
    I’m hoping that the later game doesn’t force me to play with other people. That would suck.
    One thing that occurred to me, and I think it illustrates why SP RPGs will always be better, is the portrayal of Taris.
    You can visit the world that was destroyed by the baddie in KOTOR as he was searching for you. There are fetch/kill quests all around the ruins. But that’s just it, you play around the ruins of a planet in TOR, in KOTOR the entire planet is destroyed as the baddie attempts to kill you and only you. The difference in scale and import of your player character is immense. In TOR I will never be as important as Sith/Jedi Revan

11. Eldray says:

It’s really stupid that apparently you can’t start downloading the client right now…

Although perhaps you can download it somewhere else and it will still work with this?

12. jrodman says:

You can download the client now, you go halfway through the signup process, right until where they want the card. At that point they know about your account and will let you download.

13. StingingVelvet says:

Was really hoping this MMO would be less MMO-y so I could enjoy the story, but it was arguably more MMO-y than WoW in the areas of annoying me with filler and long waits.

Such a bummer to get this instead of KotOR 3.

14. Adi5 says:

When is this game going to be released in more countries :( I’m from Bosnia and really want to play this but they have yet to announce when it will be released in this region.

Comment on this story