Yes, Dark Souls PC Might Actually Be Happening

By Jim Rossignol on March 21st, 2012 at 11:06 am.

Namco are busy teasing a Dark Souls announcement on their Facebook page, and it looks like it could be confirmation for the heavily petitioned-for PC version. That is not clue enough on its own, of course, but it seems that Australian PC mag PC Power Play are teasing their next month’s edition with a page reading “You Died”. HmmMMMMmmmmMMMMmmmmm!

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dominic White says:

As fantastic as this game is, I expect to see a whole lot of people here hating it – it’s pretty much the anathema of a ‘pure’ PC game. No quicksaving, no fast aiming, heavy, slow combat with an emphasis on the physics of your weapon, one save-slot, no communication in multiplayer, no difficulty options. It really is rather focused and spartan in it’s design – entirely to it’s advantage, IMHO, but quite a few will disagree.

They also need some seriously heavy anti-cheat stuff set up, because the 360 version already has people running around with clearly hacked god-characters, one-shotting people. PS3 version, fortunately, seems immune for now.

AmateurScience says:

The whole campaign for a port for this game has generated a whole lot of these kind of pigeon holing comments “PC gamers will *love* this’ ‘PC gamers will HATE this”PC gamers don’t like to not be able to quick save’ ‘Console gamers hate difficult games’.

It does a disservice to the community as a whole to make sweeping generalisations like that. Particularly when the platform in question is wider than a wide thing and broader than a thing which is broad. Lets just hope they decide to port it so that those of us who wish to play it on a PC, can.

ffordesoon says:

This.

Very well said.

• DOLBYdigital says:

I agree with both Dominic and Amateur…. While I also don’t like general sweeping statements, I think this game doesn’t appeal to a ‘wide’ audience. It should have decent sales but it’s not the type of mass appeal game that usually comes out these days. This is partly why I like it… Either way, I’m very excited about this and would love if they re-released Demon’s Souls as well since that was an amazing gem too.

• Hatsworth says:

I think Sony’s involvement makes Demon’s Souls impossible.

Snidesworth says:

I’m sure people will be able to overcome old prejudices if those features are actual features working in favour of the game.

Very excited about this. I already own Dark Souls, but superior graphics and performance (Blighttown) is an attractive prospect. The potential for the next Souls game to make it to the PC is the real treat here.

• Mista Bojangles says:

I felt the lag added to the Blighttown experience. Like my disc was struggling to spin through thickened bile.

• MidoriChaos says:

PS3 version had bugs that allowed ‘hacks’, although I believe they’re fixed now. I had a guy try to one shot me with a barrage of thrown knives (you could do some duplicate stuff I don’t know how, but it basically shot knives like it was a machine gun) but unlucky for him I had just summoned a player so we toasted him with fireballs. The ghost I summoned died mind you :P

• e82 says:

The item-duping glitch was fixed. It let you use the Dragon Head to spew out any consumable item – most people used it to get souls.

On the XBOX360 though, people were hacking their save game files – being level 1, but with 99 in all stats type thing, super fast HP regen, enabling spells that had been removed from the game (but still in the data files).

• Yuri says:

“no communication in multiplayer”

Except, ya know, the PC. Teamspeak, Skype, Mumble and god knows how many other VOIP clients.

• Dominic White says:

Except that you don’t know who you’re connecting to. There’s no servers, lobbies, etc. All you see is a glowing glyph on the ground. You use it to summon the player who placed it into your world, where they appear as a glowing ghost.

The glyphs you can see is determined by a mixture of class/faction alignments, level ranges and network proximity, but you don’t get to pick or filter anything.

Snidesworth says:

People did figure out how to meet up with their friends, at least on the PS3, but it required a fair bit of patience. If memory serves both players went to the same location, one threw down a summon sign and the other told him if it appeared. If not the first player quit out, reloaded and hoped to connect to a different matchmaking server. The usual level range constraints apply, of course.

• Khemm says:

But’s THAT’S THE POINT! You’re a lonely in a dangerous world, you’re not meant to have your Team Fortress 2 friends nagging you, you’re not supposed to troll a chat and so on. It’s about a certain experience.

PoulWrist says:

Sort of a roguelike you say, why that’s the epitome of PC gaming :p

• Dominic White says:

Funny you should say that – roguelikes have been a commercially viable genre on consoles for far longer than on the PC. Even Nintendo did it – there’s an entire Pokemon roguelike series out there.

PoulWrist says:

When was commercial viability ever a factor? :p commercial unviability is like the next epitome of PC.

• subedii says:

We’re too hipster to care about popular stuff. Why do you think we asked for Dark Souls?

• Leandro says:

Yes, the epitome of PC is we take games with an open mind and an open heart. Dark Souls will be welcomed :D

• Xan says:

Seriously just one save slot? With potential file corruption this isn’t good. Hopefully they add more save slots for the PC.

Quicksave isn’t an issue since the game is designed with checkpoints in mind.

• Dominic White says:

There’s no checkpoints. It constantly saves, and if you screw up and end up killing a useful quest or plot NPC? Well, you’ve just got to live with that decision. You can’t undo anything – it’s a large part of why the game is so atmospheric.

I don’t think there’s a single NPC that you can’t either kill or drive off in one way or another, but the game is completable no matter how randomly murderous you are.

• lordfrikk says:

This sounds so awesome! (no irony)

• Kdansky says:

I accidentally killed the first spell vendor because the stupid PS3 controller sometimes presses L2/R2 when you put it down*. I played a wizard (mostly, everyone uses weapons). Extra difficulty until I got to the next merchant! And it was still totally doable, just a bit harder.

*Seriously, the PS3 controller is a joke, it’s so bad. It has antiquated layout, bad ergonomics and crappy ideas like batteries + rumble function.

• Delusibeta says:

Two words I’m hoping to hear in the announcement: “Steam Cloud”. Save corruption issues resolved.

(Of course, this is Namco Bandai we’re talking about, so odds on GfWL will be involved)

• InternetBatman says:

I’m not super excited for it. I might throw down money when it gets cheap, but I hate games without quicksave.

• Herr Dr. Face Doktor says:

There is a weird pseudo-quicksave, but it’s automatic. Every single thing you do, down to buying things from NPCs, killing individual enemies, and dying, causes the game to autosave. When you die, you don’t load a save point so much as you respawn, and since there’s only one autosaving save slot, this all makes everything you do permanent. So you have to take a lot more into consideration because the consequences are lasting and can’t be artificially changed.

• Mista Bojangles says:

Don’t let that affect your decision. Dark Souls was, among other things, a study of how saving can function as a pressure on the player. As people have noted above, the game saves constantly, making your every decision a crucial, irrevocable one. With quicksaving, a player can noncommittally progress, but Dark Souls instills a unique fear for the player’s ability to truly fuck up the crumbling world. The people in it are mortal and you are their greatest threat.

Most games try not to make the saving process an issue, and I assume it is poor checkpoint systems that have you hating games that don’t include quicksaving, but if you try Dark Souls you’ll see the potential in messing with death/respawn mechanics in games.

• Brun says:

There’s nothing wrong with a game not being able to quicksave as long as that design decision fits with the overall feel of the game. From what I have heard that is the case with Dark Souls. The whole point is to create a feeling of tension and risk that would be destroyed by a quicksave ability. The lack of a particular metagame feature (quicksave) in this case is turned into a true game mechanic.

PC gamers have a problem with checkpoint-only games when the only reason for a lack of quicksave is that the Xbox 360 doesn’t have enough buttons to accommodate it. Games like that are typically linear and end up forcing you through the same patches of unchanging, linear campaign over and over until you can reach a certain point.

• subedii says:

You seem to be trying awfully hard so far to try and convince me that this is the kind of game that I hate because I’m a “PC Gamer” or something.

I don’t think you’re succeeding.

EDIT: To expand on that somewhat: One of my favourite games of all time to date is SWAT 4. A tactical game with no saves (separated missions, but no option to save mid-mission), punishing difficulty, an inability to predict exactly what you’re going to face around the next corner, and gameplay that emphasises the fact that if you fail, it’s because YOU messed up and did something wrong.

I couldn’t call it anything other than an archetypal PC game in those respects. Console side equivalent, you’ve got the Rainbow 6 series (which started off in a lot of the same places), which went to console, and started trying to channel Hollywood action films instead.

• hosndosn says:

I think what’s most important are expectations. If you make a new Syndicate game or an X-Com sequel, yes, people will expect certain features from the original, some of which rather PC-centric. But if you port Dark Souls, it’s essentially like playing Super Mario 64 in an emulator. You don’t want that shit to feel like a PC game.

Another example: Recettear. Everybody could accept that this is a quirky Japanese game and that console controls are simply the gold standard there. I believe with Dark Souls people will feel similar. I know I would.

AmateurScience says:

So can anyone explian why one would tease the announcement of an announcement for a port of a game. Instead of just announcing the announcement. Because I do not understand. PR!

Also: good news!

3. Valvarexart says:

Dear creator, please let it be so!

• Lord Byte says:

Yes! I’ve been holding back on the PS3 version just so I could buy it when it came out on PC :) That and the fact that I hardly ever play anything on the PS3, still got a shit-load of titles though :(

4. Insidious Rex says:

The only problems I have with Dark Souls are the resolution and framerate in places, a PC version could easily solve both of these. Yes please.

• Meat Circus says:

Yes, I can’t wait to experience BlightTown at 60fps on my 27″, or the Anor Londo reveal.

SQUEEEE!

Snidesworth says:

Hell, I’d can’t wait to experience Blight Town at something above 15 FPS.

• Insidious Rex says:

The change from the claustrophobia of Blighttown and the castle, to the wide-open and sunny Anor Londo is possibly my favourite part of the game.

• DiTH says:

Thats for sure.I would be double happy if they also gave us PS3 owners a discount :P. Want to feel the game to the max but paying full bucks for it? dunno.

5. wu wei says:

I’m a huge fan of the D* Souls games but I’m absolutely confused by the PC gamer demand for it. It embodies everything about console games that people here regularly rail against.

Is it simply the claim of its “hardcore” nature that makes its absence so galling to PC gamers?

• Jiggeh says:

It could also, conceivably, be because it’s a bloody brilliant game.

• Network Crayon says:

I feel a bit like this, i don’t really think it’ll feel the same on pc.
      that said though, it’s a great game and letting more people have a chance to play it is a good thing:

• Kdansky says:

It’s not so much a typical PC-game, as it is an atypical current-gen console-game. It has more in common with Zelda 1 than with Kingdoms of Amalur.

• Eich says:

Well thank god, Kingdoms of Amalur is shit and Zelda 1… well I don’t have to point out that
        Zelda 1 is great, don’t I? ^^

• Alexander Norris says:

People round these parts don’t usually complain that console games are too hard or well-designed or have too much substance and depth. Usually, they’re complaining about the opposite. :P

• Khemm says:

And what is “oh so consoley” about Dark Souls? I’ve mentioned Severance Blade of Darkess countless times already and pointed out how similar those two games are… I don’t recall anyone ever saying that Severance wasn’t a brilliant PC game.

• Kdansky says:

Severance was incredibly brilliant, and actually really similar to Dark Souls. Thanks for pointing this out.

• Khemm says:

It’s an incredible game indeed, it was also one of the first to use dynamic lighting which makes it look very good even today. Definitely a cult classic which deserved a better marketing on release, what makes me happy is that more and more people are discovering it recently due to word of mouth.

• Runs With Foxes says:

The Souls games are definitely the closest I’ve seen a game come to Severance. The combat still isn’t as intimate and gruesome as Severance’s, but it’s in the neighbourhood.

• baozi says:

Uuh, it’s similar to Severance? This just made Dark Souls more interesting to me.

• Eversor says:

Holy nostalgia bomb, Batman. I had completely forgotten about Blade of Darkness. My feeble youngling gamer’s mind was not ready for it back then… I remember it being the only game where cheating to turn on god mode hardly made it easier. That was such a brutal, dark and difficult game.

• Mordsung says:

What we like, we’ll keep.

What we don’t, we’ll mod.

Even the most consolized game can be fixed when put in the hands of the PC community. We don’t even need mod tools, just game files that aren’t locked down.

• Dominic White says:

The game will almost certainly be non-moddable. The multiplayer is integrated completely into the singleplayer, so hacking around with your own game will likely screw things up for others.

• Mordsung says:

There can still be ways to mod it, though it may result in the need to run a private server which would possibly lead to legal problems.

Snidesworth says:

Modding is something antithetical to Dark Souls, however. Modifying a game gives you power over it, and Dark Souls is very much a game about rendering the player largely impotent and forcing them to rely on their own skill and ingenuity to overcome the obstacles ahead of them.

• Mista Bojangles says:

Thank you. This is my biggest worry for the PC version. The few complaints I saw about Dark Souls on release were generally directed at its sometimes “unfair” difficulty. If there’s one thing to be said for console gamers its that they are more willing to power through games that PC gamers would simply dismiss as broken. That trait goes both ways, of course.

There’s an element of trust to gaming that I think is almost missing from the PC community. We seem to think that commercial games these days are jumping-off points for modders who can scratch the hardcore gamer’s itch. For the most part, I agree. But trust me, Dark Souls deserves to remain untouched. At least for one playthrough.

• Yuri says:

I believe multiplayer connections on the PS3/Xbox are handled via more or less direct P2P connections.
        If you invade someone’s realm, you literally enter his/her campaign. It also goes for when someone invades you.
        Someone can invade your realm at any moment, if certain conditions are followed. You can deny invasions temporarily, but in that case you too can’t invade other realms.

Editing any game files would be extremely counterproductive to that sort of connection process.

To be honest the D* Souls games are quite boring when played as pure singleplayer games. It’s the threat and risk of invasions that gives it an extra level of excitement and difficulty.

• Eich says:

I think most of the people will play with severd inet connection then ^^

• Dominic White says:

But then you’d miss out on all the really clever multiplayer details, like seeing notes of advice scrawled by other players, or being able to watch the last few moments of someones life just before you encounter whatever killed them. Just the silent camraderie of seeing ghostly other players sitting around a campfire with you is heartening.

There’s some more subtle stuff, too, like how whenever a player – somewhere, anywhere – rings the Bells of Awakening, you can hear it and it’ll give you one free charge on your estus flask. While they celebrate beating their first key bosses, everyone gets a reward and a nudge in the right direction.

You’d be missing the point of the game if you forced yourself into offline mode.

• Brun says:

@Dominic:

Indeed. When I read the review for Dark Souls the original and creative way that they integrated multiplayer into the single player game was one of the things that intrigued me most.

• derbefrier says:

Yes multiplayer is one of the most unique features this game offers. It’s still fun offline but your really missing out if you play offline. It’s such a cool system and adds a lot to the gameplay.

• Mista Bojangles says:

While the multiplayer added a lot, I found playing offline to be uniquely rewarding. It was lonelier, scarier, less marred by message-litter, and the game’s many surprises were never spoiled.

• Max.I.Candy says:

@ Yuri,
          Thats bullshit.
          Dark Souls stands up perfectly fine as a single player game. On my first playthru i had no outside help or interference at all and i frakking loved it to peices!(still connected but just didnt do any pvp or coop)

• Meat Circus says:

It’s an amazing game, and will look Flipping Gawjus on a high-spec PC.

• Unaco says:

And what? Are we all exactly the same here Wu Wei? Generic? Homogeneous? There is 1 opinion and we all follow it blindly? We’re all individuals, we aren’t some cult, unable to think for ourselves. We can have our own opinions, and they can differ from the opinions of others. Just because some people rail against certain things does not mean that we all share that opinion.

• InternetBatman says:

It’s probably because everyone keeps running around, saying how great it is.

PoulWrist says:

So it’s dumbed down, made accessible to the masses, doesn’t concern itself with fiddling mechanics and in general is a smooth, streamlined experience that’s so polished it becomes bland? Gotcha. I won’t be playing it, then.
      Since I had the idea that it was more a long the lines of a roguelike, only without the permadeath bit.

Also I don’t care if it’s the worst console game ever. It should be on PC too.

ffordesoon says:

Except It isn’t any of that, at all. It’s one of the purest, most hardcore gaming experiences ever made for any platform.

If that was sarcasm, I apologize, but this is one of those games that’s so good that people ignore tge existence of sarcasm for any chance to talk about how great it is.

• fooga44 says:

@Wu wei

PC gamers are a not a monolithic group. The majority of PC gamers are multiplatform gamers and grew up on consoles. Only a tiny loud minority are PC only and hate consoles for no reason. The more mature PC gamers care about game quality and if you compare first person shooters on the PC to what console-centric design has done to them, they have definitely been dumbed down and had their gameplay frozen in time. Compare any modern FPS to a game like UT2004 or quake 3 w/mods.

What PC gamers complain about is publishers being assholes really and fucking up game quality.

6. Hakkesshu says:

I’ve already finished it and while I didn’t like it nearly as much as Demon’s Souls, I would still buy a PC version in a heartbeat. It really seems like the kind of game that could potentially gain even more gamer goodwill (which it already has boatloads of) by catering to a PC-based community.

Really, it’s just a well-made, very creative and very deep dungeon crawler and we could always use more of those.

• Kdansky says:

I played Dark Souls first, and found Demon’s Souls to be a lot worse. Equipment carry weight is a constant annoyance, moss can be farmed and used to power through any fight without learning it properly, and the fixed level structure stifles exploration, and the black/white world tendency is a bad mechanic: I suicided in the Nexus after every boss kill. That’s just stupid. Where Demon’s Souls is irritating, Dark Souls is polished. Where Demon’s Souls is good, Dark Souls is brilliant.

• Hakkesshu says:

Really? Did you skip Lost Izalith completely? It is by far the nadir of the Souls series. Everything after Ariamis takes a complete dive in quality.

Snidesworth says:

Lost Izalith was hell. It was a whole different brand of suffering, one based on tedium rather than challenge. Hopefully they’ll turn the bloom down in the PC version.

• Crane says:

Lost Izalith?
            Bounding Demons, you say?
            Dragonslayer Greatbow, you say?
            NON-RESPAWNING DEAD BOUNDING DEMONS AND A BUCKET OF EXP!

Bed of Chaos, you say?
            Ergh. Yeah.

• Kdansky says:

I had to look up Lost Izalith on youtube to know which region you were talking about. Amusingly/shockingly, I seem to have actually missed a bonfire there, which made it a lot harder than it should be. It still wasn’t much of an issue. I had a lot more trouble with the boss (he’s a trick-boss) than the region in front of it. Izalith isn’t so bad after you figure out a good route (which is quite hard to do, I’ll grant you).

While not my favourite region, it’s hardly as annoying as Demon’s Souls 5-2, where you have to run along a narrow ledge, while getting shot in the back by untargetable flying mantas. I found that part very frustrating, because you can’t do anything about it, you just need luck. There’s a lot more luck involved in Demon’s Souls anyway: If the mindflayers use their projectile, you survive. If they use their stun-lightning, you die. It’s random. Or dragon-breath timing, which is really hard to spot: If you don’t touch the flames when going in, you’re not going to make it. If you touch them a little, you don’t take any damage. If you touch them a little more, you take 60% health, and stagger, and die. A dragon-breath should be a more gradual thing, and this feels completely unfair.

Dark Souls has better (Undead Burg, Forest, Anor Londo, Ariamis, Crystal Cave, Sen’s Fortress) and worse (Izalith, Sewers, Giant Tree, Blighttown, Necropolis) areas. But so has Demon’s Souls, though in Demon’s Souls, I only remember 1-x and 2-1 fondly.

Considering I didn’t find that region very annoying,[b] even though I missed a bonfire[/b], it’s acceptable. ;)

• Hakkesshu says:

I do agree that Dark Souls is generally a better game, at least up to the point of Lost Izalith/Crystal Cave/Tomb of the Giants, all of which are incredibly boring from a gameplay standpoint, but even besides that, I think Demon’s Souls just had better atmosphere. Both Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement are some of the most genuinely horrific places I’ve visited in gaming – and being that I’m a horror fan, I tend to gravitate towards that stuff, which there isn’t as much of in Dark Souls.

But those last three areas or so really put a damper on the whole experience for me. I agree that Demon’s Souls has a lot of superfluous elements like the World Tendency stuff, but to me it’s just more cohesive overall. I also don’t particularly care for any of the bosses in Dark Souls, but that’s a matter of taste.

shaydeeadi says:

I thought the Prison/Asylum in Demon’s Souls was fantastic, not the toughest part of the game but a great little adventuring area. 1-X was great, and the mines were pretty sick too, especially dodging that silly minecart full of explosives on every respawn.

• Max.I.Candy says:

TBH i really didnt mind Tomb of the Giants that much. It just seemed a natural progression from The Catacombs (which I absolutely LOVED).
            Lost Izalith was horrible i admit and Bed of Chaos was cheap, but Crystal Cave was ok and if you threw down those shiny beacon thingys (ive forgotten what they are called), to highlite the path in front of you, then that invisible walkway that hangs over the chasm is a peice of piss to navigate.

7. Teronfel says:

Let’s hope it’s true.

• Khemm says:

What else can I add? Nothing, this pretty much sums it up – let’s wait and hope the PC version indeed sees the light of day.

8. Flukie says:

Looks really good and worth my time and money, can’t wait for it to come to the platform of my choice.

9. CaLe says:

The last game I played through for a second time was Mario Bros. 3. Don’t think this will change that, unless there’s a load of new content. A story would also be nice.

• Kdansky says:

Adding pointless crap to a great game doesn’t improve it.

beekay says:

While I appreciate that not every game needs a heartrendingly beautiful story, it’s interesting that anyone would ever refer to it as “pointless crap.”

Or maybe I should be sitting here amazed that anyone would label *content* as being pointless crap. That’s not too much worse, really.

• Kdansky says:

I’m being serious. There is no story that would improve Dark Souls. All it would do would take away the focus from the great gameplay. I refer to the essay “Narrative is not a game mechanic” as to why, and to the Dinofarmgames blog.

shaydeeadi says:

The game has a story and IMO enough to serve as a vehicle and motivation for the game. If he means there is an unsatisfactory amount of cutscenes then thats true, although there is definitely a plot but it is just delivered in a minimalist way, through snippets of conversation, some crumbling statue or distinctive architecture.
          Once you meet Kaarthe then he spells it out for you anyway, so you can look forward to that, 5-40 hours in depending on skill and drive of individual.

• CaLe says:

@Kdansky

Who said anything about adding pointless crap?

• Kdansky says:

Name me a franchise that didn’t have a story in its early stages and added one later on, and that improved the game.

I can name a ton where the correlation goes “less story = better game”, such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid.

All of them were far better games when they had little to no story. Games are about gaming, not about story-telling. Dark Souls is about playing a game, not about listening to long-winded exposition.

Snidesworth says:

“Games are about gaming, not about story-telling.”

While I don’t disagree with you that adding a more prominent story to Dark Souls will be a bad idea, that’s a rather foolish statement. There are games which are quite explicitly about storytelling, and their strong narratives don’t render them un-games. It’s a lack of interactive elements that does that.

• JackShandy says:

Dark Souls has a story. Therefore it seems Kdansky deduced that by “Add a story” you meant “Add more cut-scenes, dialogue options, romance-able companions.” That stuff would be useless crap in DS.

• CaLe says:

There’s nothing wrong with having motivation for what you are doing. It’s the only thing I felt was lacking in the game. I was doing stuff, just for the sake of it. It would be nice to have a reason.

• JackShandy says:

Hmmm. So, say, the end boss kidnaps your girlfriend?

The problem there, of course, is that Dark souls doesn’t tell you what the end boss is, or where he is, or how to get to him. Finding out these things is pretty much your only motivation. It’s deliberately mysterious. Providing a goal like “You need to get to Anor Londo” would ruin the sense of surprise when you get to Anor Londo.

• Kdansky says:

@JackShandy: That was my point exactly.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Dark Souls has all the motivation it needs: it’s entertaining and satisfying to play. It’s kind of hilarious and depressing that people think we need some emotional cutscenes to give us motivation to play a game. Imagine how much more money the old arcades would have pulled in if only they added some cinematics!

Dark Souls just throws you into a setting and lets you piece it together. It barely even mentions an objective. If you weren’t listening at one point you wouldn’t even know you’re supposed to ring a couple of bells to start with.

And it works because the story and macro objectives don’t matter. What matters is killing the next undead, the next skeleton, progressing through a map and killing the next boss, finding the next bonfire. That’s what players understand right from the start, and they don’t need several NPCs and a quest log to tell them so. And they sure as hell don’t need some shitty revenge story to get them motivated.

Oozo says:

The Souls-games do take a completely different take on storytelling: It’s all backstory, not much stuff up front. Which does not mean that there is not tons of lore in there; I was completely baffled when I had a look at “Demon’s Souls” Lore wiki, where a guy convincingly puzzled together the literally hundreds of threads and micro-stories that build the background of the game:

I can understand why you wouldn’t like that approach; but I’m with JackShandy. I think it was really refreshing and, in a way, liberating. (Tom Bissell’s piece on the storytelling in Skyrim and Dark Souls, and why he thinks the latter is more successful, might also be an interesting read.)

PS Yes, I have read way too much about those games. But, you know, somehow, they bring forth a lot of really decent writing. (As well as a certain obsession in me, I guess.)

10. pkt-zer0 says:

I want this game on PC only because it has a cute puppy in it. Or giant wolf boss, whatever.

11. Prime says:

An RPS feature on what Dark Souls is and why we should care would be nice for those of us that are still baffled by the whole thing after listening to the frenzied hordes screaming about it for months. Is this nigh-announcement A Good Thing? Is it An UnGood Thing? We just don’t know.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Not a bad idea.

• Novotny says:

Get Florence on it.

Mungrul says:

I’m also guessing it would be a great way to write about a game you’ve been dying to talk about, eh Jim?

• Quizboy says:

The very medium that delivers you RPS might make it possible to find out!

• Meat Circus says:

Dark Souls *matters*.

• JackShandy says:

I do think not many people have really cut to the heart of what makes Dark Souls good. If you want the short version, though, it’s just an old school Megadungeon.

Oozo says:

It was none other than a certain Quintin Smith who convinced me to buy “Demon’s Souls”, and even after having finished it and “Dark Souls”, his text still is, in my opinion, the one which gets closed to the secret of the game’s success:

I also found Chris Dahlen’s shot at explaining its appeal by an analysis of one level kinda convincing:

Which doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t love to read a RPS take on the game, of course.

• Kdansky says:

One thing that always gets overlooked, stolen from that text:

>Dark Souls may be a hard game to play, but it’s an easy one to spectate.

YES!! My girlfriend all but begged me to play it*, because she was so engrossed watching it. Which made it a lot more fun for me too, because I am a cynic, and I know that getting excited will make me play worse, so I deliberately try to be calm and distant, which is actually not as enjoyable as being immersed fully. But I could share all emotions through her cries of shock or joy, gasps of fear and shouted warnings. It was a brilliant experience.

*When you get home, and your GF (who NEVER plays games) asks: “Will you play Dark Souls today? I looked up a strategy on that boss you got stuck yesterday!” you know it’s a good game.

Skystrider says:

I do believe I will want this.

Where do I pre-order? ;)

13. raphaell says:

Now someone should make a petition list of the following games:
    The Newest Naruto
    Asuras Wrath
    Red Dead Redemption
    Vanquish and Bayonetta
    Fable 2
    The Castlevanias
    DmC
    Dragons Dogma
    UMvsC3
    MK9
    […]

felisc says:

Arent all the dmc available on pc ? Or is it just 4 ?

• Khemm says:

Just 3 and 4. 3 was a disaster ported by SourceNext, DMC4 PC on the other hand is the best version of the game period.

• Kdansky says:

Just a shame that 4 is a bad game. Boring and repetitive. Instead of a thrilling encounter with a single lizardman you get to fight the same ten lizardmen every time you enter the room, through which you have to backtrack ten times. And you can’t run past them, because the doors are locked until you kill them all. They don’t stand a chance, but sometimes take a sliver of health off you, and the attrition will kill you after ten minutes. It’s unbelievably bad design.

• Khemm says:

Agree, it isn’t the best game in the series for sure. Luckily, not as bad 2.

• ColdSpiral says:

Red Dead Redemption in particular. If it meant I’d get to play it on PC at all, I’d buy a rubbish port of it in a heartbeat. Why wasn’t this kind of momentum generated then? Given the current state of affairs, with former exclusives like Dark Souls, Alan Wake, and Binary Domain suddenly making it to PC, I’d say Rockstar have missed a real opportunity here.

shaydeeadi says:

Why would anyone buy Asura’s Wrath? A game that is an 8 hour QTE?

• marcusfell says:

You have the wrong impression. One of my friends got it, and while he was playing I was watching and honestly, it was one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had. The game goes way farther as a episodic series like Dragonball Z. Just having one player with eight other guys, and every single person’s jaw is lolling about on the floor, I say it was worth it. The story is also really, really good.

I’m not sure if a PC port would help it all that much. The game is 1000x better when you’re not alone.

• Khemm says:

Dragon’s Dogma might appear on PC at some point, they showed the PC build to journalists a while ago iirc (the game didn’t run on consoles, but on PC is what I’m trying to say). Capcom has been good to us of late, so maybe there’s a chance.
      DmC – again, Capcom-published, so… The official facebook page says “PC”, too.

Mungrul says:

I own Vanquish on the PS3; I love it to death; I’d even go so far as to say that from a graphically technical point of view, it’s one of the most stunning achievements on this generation of consoles and gets nowhere near enough recognition for this.

Yet if it came out on PC, I’d buy it in a heartbeat, at full price.

Another Japanese spin on a Western genre (the cover-based shooter) that invigorates and innovates in thrilling new ways.
      People are always saying these days that the Japanese are making crap games now. I don’t think those people are looking hard enough.

14. PearlChoco says:

What’s so awesome about it?

15. Prime says:

While I’m thinking about it, assuming Dark Souls does come to PC do we have faith Namco can bring the game to us preserving the best of the console experience while also catering to our platform’s unique capabilities and tastes? For instance, not coding an FPS limiter like so many console ports do? Variable FOV? Seamless integration between pad and/or Mouse+keyboard? Namco don’t look to have had much experience at this, after all…

• Khemm says:

FOV slider, while nice to have, is not necessary. I agree that the framerate shouldn’t be limited to 30 or something like that.

• Crane says:

You’d never be able to play DaSo with a mouse and keyboard (and live).
        There is no way in hell you could move with the requisite precision without an analogue stick, especially not for some of the (really awfully designed) platforming parts. Thank god there weren’t too many of those (GREAT HOLLOW!)

Snidesworth says:

I agree that analogue movement is a huge boon in the game, but a walk key should suffice for most situations. It won’t be as good as an analogue stick, but it would hardly be disastrous.

• theleif says:

“FOV slider, while nice to have, is not necessary. ”
        Except for people like me that gets nausea when the FOV is too narrow. Both Sanctum and Borderlands was pretty much unplayable for me without changing the FOV.

• Khemm says:

I’m pretty sensitive to FOV too, but for the most part only in FPP games. In third person, where you can see the whole character on the screen, it isn’t a problem.
          Are you in the same boat? Or are you sensitive when it comes to TPP games, too?

• theleif says:

It’s not nearly as bad in 3rd person perspective, but even then, for example while driving a car in Borderlands, I feel it after a while (the FOV hack in Borderlands didn’t work while driving).

16. Dominic White says:

To those asking ‘What is this game and why should I care?’, just hit Metacritic and look up some reviews of the console versions. Video-reviews, especially.

17. Eldray says:

Awesome!

How about a petition for Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 next, whose Crystal Tools engine already supports PC according to Wikipedia?

18. RegisteredUser says:

I’m all for getting more of these kinds of games to PC. In my opinion we have far too few good brawlers/dismemberment/slasher/tactical-slashing-games(Ninja Gaiden, where art thou?).

Maybe eventually they’ll realize we all own controllers, too, by now, and could actually get developed for in the first place, thus making the engines more geared towards visual fidelity/flexibility and maybe, just maybe allowing saving(make it limited amounts if you are worried about the hardcore aspect; I just don’t want to lose progress if I have to leave for something etc, same reason I want an “anytime” pause key for videos/gameplay) and maybe even game updates past 1.0 ShoddyPortPro.

• mckertis says:

“Maybe eventually they’ll realize we all own controllers”

They did. Unfortunately, they all think we have controllers with buttons that have “button1″ through “button12″ printed on them.

• Hindenburg says:

Little known fact: if you quit to the menu the game saves pretty much exactly where you parked, anywhere.

So every time you need to save or pause to pee or whatevs, just quit to the menu. Game loaded quite quickly on the xb2, so should be ultraquick on the pc.

19. db1331 says:

How awesome would it be if it was a Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls bundle? I’m not sure if that’s possible though, what with having a different publisher for each game.

I’ve actually been making a fair bit of progress on Dark Souls on the PS3 the last few days. I finally rang the 2nd bell and have now started getting my ass kicked in Sen’s Fortress.

• malkav11 says:

If they didn’t go on to port Demon’s Souls to 360, I’m fairly sure that a PC version is not in the cards either.

shaydeeadi says:

I started in there last night. Killed that wheel turning lizard, went to explore what I opened up and some other lizard got back on the machine and I got mowed down, not happy, 25K lost and going back with gritted teeth makes you make mistakes. I’ll try again tonight with a clear head.

• db1331 says:

Yea it seems like a nasty area for sure. I was actually human when I got there, so I summoned someone to give me a hand. Everything was going great until we got to that first bridge with the swinging blades. I didn’t realize I couldn’t clip through a summoned phantom, and he stopped as soon as he walked by the first blade, so I got stuck and knocked into the pit. I didn’t die right away, but there are some nasty, nasty enemies in that pit.

shaydeeadi says:

That Titanite Demon is a grade A fuckwad. I don’t even get to stand up :(

• Rudel says:

Try using a bow, especially the first one is really easy. You can fry later ones fairly easy with Heavy Combustion (Pyro)

shaydeeadi says:

@Rudel
            I roasted the one guarding Darkroot, but the ones in Sen’s Fortress have the advantage of starting on you when you have a flicker of health since you just got knocked off of a walkway 30m up by a swinging iron blade.
            I have that heavy combustion I think, but I’m not using it yet since I have Orb for larger enemies, spent some stupid amount on Fire Whip to discover it’s really unhelpful; high damage, but suicidal to use.

20. Zeewolf says:

This is one of those games I have in my large “to buy”-list of console games. Since I never buy anything from that list these days (too busy with my humongous “to play”-list of games on Steam and GOG as well as several big stacks of boxed PC-games), I might as well wait.

21. Pelikanol says:

Better get an XBOX 360 controller for the PC, for those of you who don’t have one; I can’t see how they will manage to get a decent kb/m controls scheme.

I don’t know…
      I always hear things like “Batman Arkham series is barely playable with k&m, get a controller” and I completely disagree, the k&m controls are so much better and faster (gadget swapping and so on). Controller is just slow, sluggish and I can never control Batman properly for some reason.

I bought the 360 gamepad for Windows for DMC4 and Dead Rising 2 however, and for those games, it works really well.
      I guess it depends on the person, not necessarily the game, though getting Dark Souls to control well with the keyboard would require some adjustements, I admit.

• Brun says:

From what I understand there are elements to movement and/or combat that depend on the analog functionality of a controller. Such analog behavior would be difficult to replicate on a purely digital input like KBM.

• Khemm says:

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory did something like this, and pretty brilliantly. It used the mouse wheel to emulate analog control for movement – it was amazing, very comfortable and intuitive.

• subedii says:

Yeah whoever said that Batman is bad with KBAM or needs a controller, man I cannot disagree more. I mean if it’s a matter of opinion then fine, but I’ve heard people saying it like it’s a simple fact. I mean I certainly didn’t have trouble 3-starring all the challenge rooms. I’d personally even go one further and say that KBAM works better in some respects because it gives you simultaneous control over movement AND camera whilst allowing you to continue attacking. That’s actually really valuable in a game that’s all about being aware of your surroundings. Other games like DMC typically have to compensate for this by having a much wider angle on the player character, or by fixing it so that enemies cannot initiate attacks if they’re off-screen.

What also impressed me with Arkham is that they even did really good work with the key mappings. No other game that I’ve ever played default mapped my mouse buttons 4 and 5, and not only that, but did so for logically stuff that when I used it, felt natural and I didn’t want to change it.

22. MuscleHorse says:

I’m one of those chaps who doesn’t read the general gaming press any more, preferring certain forums and RPS and as such know nothing about this game. It seems like everyone commenting is the opposite, having already played it or read about it.
    The thing I have to remark on is how some people are saying that certain features are integral, such as random match-making for multiplayer or no quick-save. Surely that would just be the hallmark of a poor port? Also, to the people looking forward to a better FPS in certain areas, that’s hardly a given with Capcom’s track record. Resident Evil 4 didn’t even have mouse aiming when it finally appeared on PC.

• UncleLou says:

A normal save/quicksave system wouldn’t work with this game, not at all. It would just completely turn the whole game design upside down. Mind, you can quit the game anytime, anywhere and continue exactly where you left.

Same goes for the multiplayer. It is not how it is because of technical limitations of consoles.

Though maybe I misunderstood you, I am not sure if you meant changing these things would be the hallmark of a bad port, or leaving them how they are.

And to be fair, RE4 was a long time ago. And it was Capcom to boot, not Namco.

• Khemm says:

RE4 wasn’t done by Capcom, it was ported by SourceNext.

• UncleLou says:

Yeah, they outsourced the port. Irrelevant, though – was still a Capcom game. Not Namco.

shaydeeadi says:

Matchmaking is done on a basis of the Covenants you join in game, the level of your character (limits of 61 and 120 for differing PVP bands I think.) The region of the game world you are in and whether the boss in that area is defeated or not, there are a couple of covenants dedicated to PVP in differing rulesets, the Dragon covenant for example is a group where you challenge each other, Darkwraiths invade etc. The is an object called the ‘book of the guilty’ which is kinda like a leaderboard for game ruiners which you get put in by being indicted by your victims. This in turn makes you more likely to get invaded by other covenants which are there to hunt down guilty players.
      When you invade a world you are joining their solo game and no dedicated server comes into it. (I think this stuff is correct)

As for quick save, the game quick saves every time you kill an enemy, or die, or open a container. The challenge of getting back through a trecherous area to get your souls back, or stealing them from under the wing of a Drake, is pretty exhilarating. It is brilliant design all over.

23. cjlr says:

Yes, if there was a PC release, I’d probably buy it eventually, but I really don’t see how it’s possible to get too excited. I already own a copy, after all.The fancy-ass overpriced box version, no less. But Demon Souls was better!

And it’s really just a big ol’ grindy dungeon in the end. It just happens to have a very tight combat engine, good level design, and slightly less forgiving saving mechanics than a lot of people are used to.

24. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I will go to my grave believing that this game could have been easier and would have been better for it. I don’t mean it should have had more direction or a map or anything like that. I just think that enemies–at least non-boss enemies–could have been a little easier to deal with. Bosses would still prove nasty, and would have made nice roadblocks, but more manageable mooks would have made the exploration element much more fun.

25. theleif says:

Something tells me that this is a game that will come with an always on DRM. There just seem to be too many gameplay elements that relies on you being online. Anyway, based on what I know, this is one of the few games where I could tolerate it. That said, I have no idea if you can play it offline on the consoles. If so, disregard this.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

You can play the game offline. In fact, there are (according to the guide, at least) some NPCs who can be summoned and allied with/fought against in the same way as actual players, acting as a tutorial of sorts for online play.

• theleif says:

Ah, then it probably won’t, unless they decide it to be necessary to prevent cheating, I guess.

26. Synesthesia says:

I actually pulled my arms up in the air and said YES in the coarsest voice i could muster. I just stopped to write this. I’m going back to it now, just thought id let you guys know.

RedViv says:

More people to recount tales of the challenges and grand victories with. That is very good indeed.

28. elnalter says:

YES PLEASE

29. zergrush says:

That’s pretty freaking great.

If it’s true I’ll only need a few Monster Hunter and Tekken ports to have no need for a console again, ever (:

30. goettel says:

*sound of wallet hitting screen*

31. JackDandy says:

You have no idea just how glad this makes me. I’ve really been wanting to play this game- I’ll be delighted to share my adventures with the scores of people already playing.

32. AltF4 says:

1. update the low res textures
    2. makes sure 360 pad is supported
    3. dont forget about the window mode in the config

33. Splynter says:

Some tips for newbies to the series that will make things easier when you start playing:

1. If it has a tail, attack the tail first. It will likely fall off (eventually) and give you a fancy weapon.

2. Get the Drake Sword early on. See tip 1.

3. Cheesing with a bow is recommended if you are having trouble, though not as easy to exploit as in the first game.

4. This game is awesome.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

As a newbie to the series, I have no idea what most of that even means.

• Splynter says:

Ah, sorry. I left the comment fairly vague in the interest of avoiding spoilers, as small as they would be in this case.

34. Reapy says:

I’m a bit worried about the multiplayer. I think that PC users will find a way around the peer to peer problem and messages hardly getting upvoted…though I know hacking saved games and character stats will become trivial, and that is going to suck for the dark souls that invade you with maxed out stats.

Overall I found the PVP end of it a tad boring, I felt like you had a long wait for getting into a game, either co op or pvp, even at the ‘right’ level. Sometimes it felt overly laggy depending who connected to since no region filtering. Then finally at the end the combat felt mostly like you were hunting for backstabs, which would fire off due to lag when the guy was in front of you sometimes.

Sure it was skill oriented to find the other guy’s back, but the maneuvering you needed to get there just felt like, meh.

Single player and co op though this game should not be missed AT ALL.

jrodman says:

Looking forward to mod support so we can add super easy mode.

36. mckertis says:

So i’ve watched a bit of a LP on Dark Souls and…the game seems mediocre-okayish sort. Kinda like Prince of Persia 5 mixed with Elder Scrolls. Dont see what the fuss is about, really.

Also, looks like it has the worst kind of camera positioning.

• JackShandy says:

Every part of that is a really weird thing to say. Where did you get Prince of Persia from? By “Elder Scrolls”, do you just mean “The game has numbers that go up”?

I think you’ve been given some bad information.

37. lichen says:

I bought a PS3 just to play Demon’s Souls. I know I wont be the only one to re-buy Dark Souls if/when it comes to PC…

I’m so excited! And I’ve completed it twice! That is NOT A NORMAL THING.

Edit to add:

I think one thing that could ruin this on PC is one of the aspects of PC gaming that is normally great: modding and customisation.

This is a game that needs to be locked down so hard. You have to be completely and utterly at the mercy of the creators, and have only the exact feeling and tools they want you to have. It is such a well-crafted experience that to mod it would be to completely and immediately ruin it… I really hope they manage to lock it down.