Scoping Out Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 And Sniper Elite V2

By Craig Pearson on March 22nd, 2012 at 11:00 am.

The most skilled sniper can take out targets directly behind their heads
Morning sniper fans. Remember when there were no sniper related games around? The army’s stealthiest strategist has never commanded an audience, preferring camo and a nice bush to kicking down doors and shouting bad things about your various female relatives. But soon there will be two sniper game vying for your beady eyes. I’ve already spoken a bit about Sniper Elite V2, so the newest kill-cam from that will be relegated to second place. Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, however, has managed to elude my scopes thusfar. What I need is a short, explanatory video, I’d say about a minute or so in length that shows off the sort of distances bullets will be traveling, and maybe the locations as well. If that could somehow happen, maybe dropping in below, then I’d be the happiest sniper.

Pow! A video! Yay. And it exactly conforms to my previous specifications: it’s actually more of a tech show-off for the Cryengine 3 rather than a game breakdown, but you do get to see those ludicrous bullet trips, and the lengthy levels give me some hope that it has plenty of scope. It’s very pretty, and there’s a range of environments to ponder the bullet’s trajectory in. I’m not forgetting Sniper: Ghost Warrior was a bit rubbish, but I have a weakness for games where the camera follows the bullet, and I’m interested in the co-op and multiplayer. Sniper duels are promised.

It’s listed as coming soon. I fear that means he can already see us. Eep. Next up is the latest from the bone-crunching series of Sniper Elite V2′s weekly kill-cams. This one isn’t so great: I quite like the parsing of details when you hover over the prospective targets, but the position the sniper takes is, frankly, bizarre. He’s so out in the open, and sat framed on either side by open fires. That’s a problem I had with the original game: it wasn’t very stealthy. He might as well wear a one-man-band suit and dress in a suit of mirrors.

, , , , , .

1. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I honestly contend that Sniper Ghost Warrior, much like Wet managed to sell two million copies solely because of contemporary shooter enthusiasts walking past the display and seeing the box ‘Sniper Ghost Warrior‘.

2. Astrosaur says:

Both of these games will suck.

3. DestructibleEnvironments says:

If only you could talk to the bullets.

4. zaphod42 says:

I really want to like both of these games, I love proper sniping and a game built around those perfect snipe moments sounds fantastic. However, both games had pretty shoddy reviews the first time around, so I didn’t bother trying them. I’m hoping these’ll be a bit better, but not expecting much.

• BoboDaHobo says:

I actually really enjoyed the first Sniper: Elite. I didn’t look at it as a realistic game, per-se, but one that gave you the feeling of being a badass sneaky commando type. More Splinter Cell: Conviction than CoD, but no ArmA or OFP.

• mr.black says:

And I actually liked S-GW. I didn’t have great expectations, but it turned out to be nice little diversion.. Exactly what proper 7.5/10 rated game should be – an ok game. Not for anyone, but if you like the genre and if there’s nothing better, you’ll get by nicely with this game.

5. Shooop says:

If they ever make a game that mimics what a sniper actually does (shoots only select targets instead of entire bases and escapes) I’ll be interested.

They will never make that game though.

• Chris D says:

Hitman?

Dr. Evanzan says:

@Shooop,

There are such missions in the (original) Operation Flashpoint/ArmA games.
      You could also get ArmA 2 and just make your own such missions in the mission editor if you didn’t want anything else.

6. RegisteredUser says:

Know who also prefers a nice bush?

Stoya.

7. ZIGS says:

(…)and the lengthy levels give me some hope that it has plenty of scope.

*rimshot*