Second Wave: Defender’s Quest Free Gold Update

By Andrew Smee on March 22nd, 2012 at 5:30 pm.

Tower Defense. Power Tree Fence. Cower Prevents. Louder Air Vents. Pound And Cents. Proper Tense. Coward Offense. Chowder Incense. Flower Suspense. Sour Condense. I've just wasted 5 minutes on this and I don't even know why. Dowry Expense. Shower Sense.

It’s all go in the free update business. First The Witcher 2, and now Defender’s Quest, the wonderful indie RPG squad-based tower defense game from Fortress of Doors we’ve covered in the past. Like Geralt, it’ll soon be receiving a totally free Gold update in the near future. These guys have always been keen to offer support befitting of a PC release, and this new update sounds like a meaty serving, starting off with a lovely new art style courtesy of Karen Petrasko and running the gamut through new features, enemies, side quests and replayability in the form of a hugely expanded New Game Plus option.

I’m most excited about New Game+ as my high level team is routinely stomping all over even the highest difficulty level bosses. It doesn’t sound like an easy ride for much longer, as in a recent blog update, developer Lars Doucet promises a raised level cap to deal with new enemy monster types wielding different abilities who’ll appear during the second playthrough as well as unique side quests that change up the formula. He mentions tower restrictions as an example, and the few levels that forced you to change tactics in the original game highlighted the need for innovative thinking to overcome the odds. I just hope to make enough money this time round to buy Slak that epic sword he’s always had his eye on.

I really enjoyed Defender’s Quest and the enigmatic Mr Smith did too. It delivered a highly customisable tower defense experience carried by a plot that actually gave strong motivation to carry onto the next battle populated by characters easy to care about, while always managing to retain a strong sense of humour about itself. It’s a great little game, so if you’re at all interested in Tower Defense and you haven’t yet already, give it a go. At least pick it up before the Gold edition hits and you’ll have all that tasty content for free. The substantial demo is hosted on their site if you’d like to have a try.

Follow the development over on the Fortress of Doors blog.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Berzee says:

Excited for this new art style!

Faldrath says:

Ooh, Defender’s Quest is great and everyone should play it! I didn’t know about this update, really looking forward to it.

3. WrongThinker says:

Wonderful! I bought it last night (before this post came up), since I had been meaning to buy it for a while and it just kept slipping off my radar… but this game is incredible. It’s tower defense, but also a legit RPG with levelling up and powers. Surpasses Kingdom Rush and Pixel Junk Monsters as my favorite TD games. Truly fantastic.

ALL MUST BUY!

Revisor says:

Seconded the recommendation, this game really excels in writing and gameplay.

It’s the only tower defense I felt compelled to play to the very end (not to the completionist end, mind you, although that would be fun too).

There is a demo, if you hesitate, try it.

skalpadda says:

The best alt text :)

Keymonk says:

It’s a very cheap, and very, very good game.

7. MisterS42 says:

Highly recommend this game as well. Not even a TD fan, but I love RPGs. This just really appealed to me!

Devan says:

Awesome news! I loved Defender’s Quest and wished it could keep on going after I reached the end. Turns out now it can!

9. Raticus79 says:

Curious to see what Slak looks like next!

10. Miltrivd says:

BAH! RPS and their freaking recommendations, yeah, yeah, I’m downloading the demo, it will probably be a good game and I’ll end up spending more money… What’s that? Another Kickstarter? Another Indie game? AREN’T YOU ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES, MY WALLET HURTS, YOU KNOW???

• Miltrivd says:

See? You goddamned selfish bastards! I couldn’t play past the 3rd battle and I was already typing credit card numbers in my screen, against my will!

The game is so much fun!

• Koozer says:

RPS have a lot to answer for.

11. Robin_G says:

Great! It was only the other day I fired it back up to see if any more post game stuff had been added. I’d love some more stuff to play through. I had already played enough to buy that expensive sword.

12. RaytraceRat says:

I’m so glad I bought this game quite a long time ago, I will forget most of the stuff before Gold comes out, and I can play it again :)

Carra says:

One of the best game I’ve played so far this year. Well worth the little money they ask for it.

14. larsiusprime says:

You guys are the best. Just the best.

(I’m the lead developer of DefQ)

15. CaspianRoach says:

And still no Steam version. Damn you, Valve!

• larsiusprime says:

We keep knocking on their door but no answer just yet. :)

My sources tell me that they are absolutely drowning in submissions these days so it’s nearly impossible to get noticed from the slush pile, but also that they do apparently follow Rock Paper Shotgun and give a lot of weight to the editorial crew over here. Maybe there’s hope yet?

That’s just what I’ve heard.

• Waneta says:

If I buy it now and it comes to Steam later, would I get a Steam key? Or would I have to buy it again? It actually probably won’t make a difference for my decision, but I’m curious.

• larsiusprime says:

This is the most common question we get :)
          The answer is – Maybe, because it’s not entirely up to us.

IF we get onto Steam, and IF they let us, we’d love to give previous purchasers Steam keys. That’s entirely in Steam’s hands to decide, but we’re cool with it from our side of things. So, it’s something I’d love to do but I have no ability to make promises, unfortunately :(

RedViv says:

Well, let’s hope the new and vastly improved art can convince them to pick you up. Your game deserves that much, considering Valve agreed to sell many games of vastly inferior quality.

Thermal Ions says:

I do hope they get around to you. When I saw the above article my first thought was “great”, and my second was “I wonder if this is on Steam yet to make it easy to gift a copy or two to people on my friends list”.

It’s probably not fair I know, as I could buy it from your site and email the keys, but I’m realistic that there’s less chance of me doing that. I’ll try to make the effort though as I have enjoyed the game immensely.

16. Hordriss says:

Can’t wait for this – along with Crusader Kings 2, it’s my game of the year.

17. purpledoggames says:

That’s the quickest conversion from demo to sale I’ve ever had. Such an accessible game, thanks once again to RPS for shining a light on some hidden gems. Great open and frank website for the game too, that inspires confidence and made me want to give him money.