Set Face Holes To ‘Watch’: The Siege Of Markarth

By Craig Pearson on March 22nd, 2012 at 2:15 pm.

Tell my wife... 'hello'
I know the setting of Skyrim is a broken world, tearing itself in apart in a civil war while giant death beasts roam the sky, but I’m waiting for a romantic comedy machinima set in Whiterun. There’s so much ‘war this and death that’ that it could use a little levity. The Siege Of Markarth is well made death this and war that, to be fair. 8 minutes of killing, but it also tells a story – I was captivated, as the assassin… hmmm, nope. You’ll have to watch to find out. I’m not going to be that guy and ruin it for you.

I’d rather be this guy: “As the walls fall and a city is overrun, a shadowy figure uses the cloak of blood to fulfill his dark mission.”

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Sweedums says:

For the Night Mother!!!

2. MrWolf says:

Oh god….machinima as conceived by Michael Bay.

Way too much panning.

• Mattressi says:

I think the cameraman had a bomb strapped to the camera, which was set to blow if the camera stopped moving. In all fairness, I did see one quick shot where the pan was more of a zoom with only a little bit of pan.

• Casimir Effect says:

I was going to remonstrate you for being snarky, but dear god you’re right. Just because you can move a camera doesn’t always mean you should.
      Like how in a Powerpoint presentation you can make every object appear with a different animation and every slide transition in a new way, but no one will like you any more. Even your parents.

• Jason97 says:

So you prefer static shots to a moving camera? Don’t know much about action films do you.

• Casimir Effect says:

Some panning is fine, but this is like the camera is attached to a bird. This video isn’t alone as many modern action films think that panning makes everything better. Good action scenes make use of many different styles, for example:

Heat

• Jason97 says:

Heat is a multi million dollar production. That video is a Machinima of a game with a bad animation system. You can’t hold on to a shot for more than a second or two in Skyrim without the poor animation quality showing itself which would ruin the illusion. You’re acting like the maker could do whatever he/she wanted when inface they were working within the tight limits that the game offers which makes all your criticisms void

3. povu says:

That was very cool.

4. squareking says:

…until I took an arrow to the forearm.

5. LTK says:

This video is eerily fitting considering the previous newspost, “The trouble with clones”.

6. SlappyBag says:

Fuck did I just watch.

7. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I originally read the header as “Set Face to Holes.” Seems appropriately violent for the subject matter.

8. Godwhacker says:

Surely you want to be invisible before climbing to the top of a hill where everyone can see you?

9. bit.bat says:

Electrified hand in front of mouth when coughing made me laugh.

10. Shooop says:

Now if only there were DB missions like that in the game. Assassinating multiple targets in the middle of a battle would be a lot of fun.

11. deke913 says:

What kind of douche has a stag party then waits till the last minute to bring the girls out?

12. Splynter says:

Why was he back-flipping while making long, forward jumps? Seems rather impractical.

13. B L Z Bubb says:

Good lord.

What absolute bollocks.

None of this made any sense.

Nor did it look that good either.

• rapier17 says:

My sentiments exactly. Came across, to me, as the creator just wanting to sate & share their love of the Dark Brotherhood. I can appreciate the time & effort, but not the execution, intent or story.

• Jason97 says:

Are you serious? How can it not make sense, how dumb are you? The Forsworn are trying to take Markarth back (which is lore related) and on the same night the Dark Brotherhood have sent someone to kill the king. So what are you talking about lol.

• LTK says:

Ironic how you seem to have entirely missed the point of the assassin.

• Jason97 says:

lol no, that was the point of the assassin. To complete the contract given to him by the Dark Brotherhood, which was kill the king, and anything else that got in his way. Seems you’re the one that has missed the point :)

• maninahat says:

Why did the assassin even bother? Looked like the “Foresworn” had it sorted without him.

• Jason97 says:

The Dark Brotherhood wanted the reputation for killing the king, it’s no good to them if the Forsworn kill him as how are people going to fear The Dark Brotherhood if they can’t even kill their targets? How stupid are you people, god help you if you actually watch a plot heavy film.

• B L Z Bubb says:

@ Jason97

Ah Jason….while you only have my word on it, I assure you I am not dumb.

I watched an 8 min video of a game, which in my opinion, was a very poor showcasing for something that should have been immersive and intriguing.

I know nothing of the lore of which you speak, and obviously you are familiar with it. I therefore have no context other than what I was presented with, to make comment on.

What I saw was complete nonesense (and I am quite au fait with having “willing suspension of disbelief” in order for the fantastical and Sci Fi based games to have appeal) and it was also really, really graphically sub-par for the potential of even an average graphics card today.

Verdict remains : Bollocks.

But each to their own old chap!

• Jason97 says:

It’s a video game, anything goes. What made it nonsense to you…an army attacking a city, a lone assassin, magic etc etc….as what do you expect it is a VIDEO GAME. Also those look like Maxed Skyrim graphics to me, not to mention all those NPC’s on screen at once and not much of a FPS drop is impressive. You really do not know what you are talking about.

• B L Z Bubb says:

Jason….(sigh….)

I am aware that it is a video game….I visit this site because I have an interest in all things gaming…kind of you to clear up any ambiguity I may have had, despite that fact.

” those look like Maxed Skyrim graphics to me” – really??? Jesus dude, you must have a shite graphics card if those looked “maxed”. You poor bastard….I’ll try and organise a whip-round.

“not to mention all those NPC’s on screen at once and not much of a FPS drop is impressive” – wth are you talking about??? I counted several FPS drops…..have you seen a Specsavers ad…or is that an oxymoron?

” You really do not know what you are talking about.” – eh, I do actually….I’m talking about my opinion, which is as equally valid as your own.

Don’t take this personally man, I’m merely expression an opinion that may run contrary to yours, but it is just as relevant.

Like I said, each to their own.

P.S. It’s still Bollocks.

• Jason97 says:

You still haven’t said what was nonsense about it? The FPS drops are minimal considering the amount of people on screen. The actual game can only render 10 people on screen without lag (see the Battle of Whiterun mission in the game as an example and this video does hundreds) And no those graphics are on at least high settings, have you even played Skyrim, even if the graphics were on low (which they are not) it still looks 10 times better than the console version.

14. doom rpg says:

“I was captivated”

I can’t understand why.

15. niasyn says:

Teleport spell? I haven’t seen that one.

16. SkittleDiddler says:

That did nothing for me but highlight how bad the combat animations in Skyrim truly are.

• B L Z Bubb says:

Thank you Skittle!

Couldn’t agree more!

Despite all the hype, the combat animations in Skyrim are really naff.

Immersive world? Sure!

Depth of game play? Undoubtedly!

Superb versatility by Modding capability? Unparalleled.

Undermined by woeful combat animations? Definitely.

• Davie says:

And yet somehow, exponentially better than those in Oblivion and probably a whole order of magnitude better than those in Morrowind. Bethesda’s learning. Slowly, but by the time TES VII rolls around we should have some decent combat.

17. Stellar Duck says:

What makes a man turn neutral … Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

• Jade Raven says:

Seeing the true faces of both sides of a conflict would turn anyone neutral.

Watching this it reminds me of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Reading that will show you how people end up neutral, reading further show you that even Neutral is a side.

18. Davie says:

Excellently presented–it’s nice to see Skyrim actually has some machinima potential, unlike previous TES games, but something about the whole “sneaky backflip katana ninja” thing kind of rubs me the wrong way, if only because of the setting. I know the DB are a long-established part of the lore and everything, but I still think a proper Nord assassin would just shout down the door and hit his target in the face with an axe.

19. Hidden_7 says:

The whole time I was thinking “what’s a Nightingale doing getting involved in this big overt battle, Nocturnal is all about the shadows,” and then when I got to the end and it was the Dark Brotherhood I was just like “well that makes no sense whatsoever!”

So, yeah, I’m a bit of a nerd.

The editing was neat, though!

Comment on this story