In Which The Man In Prototype 2 Uppercuts A Helicopter

By Craig Pearson on March 23rd, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Now then. I’m not going to get into the hyperbole of this Prototype 2 trailer, titled the “Top 11 Reasons You Need PROTOTYPE 2″. Frankly if you do need, actually need, something as grim as Prototype 2 in your life then I have concerns about your well-being. There are piles of inventive, awful deaths in this catalogue of cruelty, but it’s nothing anyone could need. I can’t even begin to describe what happens at number 10. But for all the smeary, gloopy, wobbly innards flying past the camera, my favourite is number 6: he gently places a soldier down on the edge of the building and the slight momentum causes him to stumble off the edge. I like my evil with a smidge of elegant cruelty.

Dare you click to see the horrors inflicted on the citizens of New York?

I can’t believe you did. A quick recap: it’s a game where you have immense superpowers and all of New York to use them in. You are not a nice person. The original game let you run up a skyscraper while carrying a taxi. I don’t need to add any more.

The PC won’t see it until Summer, July 24th.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mordsung says:

While I enjoyed the first, as responsible PC consumer I can no longer give money to Activision.

It’d be like giving a dog a treat after it shit on your rug.

• D3xter says:

I employ this way of thinking too and have been for the past ~3 years, although it extends to Blizzard, only reason I haven’t rebought Vampire Bloodlines and some other titles on Steam is that only Activision would profit from it.

Good thing they also included a few reasons not to buy their game to even it out, namely their Logo and “Colossal Mayhem DLC included FREE with Collectors Edition!”. Wow, FREE? Can’t say no then, huh?

2. InternetBatman says:

That was honestly not that impressive. It was like Ultimate Spiderman and Just Cause 2 had a humorless ugly baby.

• ArtyFishal says:

Humorless? I chuckled at the first line.

• Octopi says:

I was just thinking that. I’m not that impressed, in terms of graphics or promising gameplay.

I also laughed when they noted that certain examples “require the Colossal Mayhem DLC pack”.

3. zoombapup says:

You’ve got to be shitting me. Is this what they really think of when they market to gamers? I mean it’s not even trying to be anything other than crass idiotic bullshit is it?

I feel sorry for developers who have had to work on this for a good chunk of their lives and then it gets given to a bunch of marketing retards who completely destroy any artistic value it had.

• Haecid says:

Damn! You might want to examine what is in your cereal next time before you eat it.

• Steven Hutton says:

Artistic value? Never played the original Prototype did you? There’re no artistic value on Prototype. It’s just childish (not even adolescent) violence draped over some thin excuses. Which is, of course, the whole reason it is fun.

I can’t get behind this kind of mindless violence in movies but sometimes I just want a game where I can unleash my raging id on a bunch of innocent by standers for an hour or so. Prototype is the second best game ever for doing that. (#1 is Hulk: Ultimate Destruction by the same studio).

• yabonn says:

Never played it, but I could – even it it lack some funny, it’s quite open about the player being there to smash stuff, and doesn’t get in the way.

Consider, on the other hand : “So you blasted these the mediocre to average critters in a corridor! Well well Commander Shepard! I see it was true what they said about you having the biggest penis this side of the planet Glukx!”.

In the first case, the reward is things going boom on the screen : stupid and sometimes funny. In the second case, it is a compliment from the uncanny valley : stupid and icky.

• RegisteredUser says:

I find it worse that they think they can just add 3 new subpowers and paint on a “2″ and then demand full price money for a “new game”.

Then again I guess people making Call of Samegameisthesame 9000 the world’s biggest seller might have something to do with thinking you can just resell the same crap over and again if you just market it right.

I found Prototype 1 to be an enjoyable game for some hours of novelty at least, although it does eventually get a bit old.
      What I mean is that I am fine being marketed to via gore and death; I am not so much a fan of sameysamesame. This could just be a video for a mod of Prototype.

And worse yet, it seems to be two thirds cutscenes(i.e. stuff not “you” do, but only gets shown). I think I saw 3 new moves for the powers, that’s it so far.

4. magnus says:

Hopefully Prototype 2 won’t have a final Boss fight finishing with a stupid time limit right at the end like the first one did!

• Karl says:

I kinda liked the first one despite all it’s flaws (overcomplicated controls being the major one I hope they will fix) but yeah, the last boss fight was horribly frustrating, took forever and was way harder than anything before it. And I remember people having big problems with the boss on Times Square also.

• TechnicalBen says:

I hear they are saving the “Protochild” character for the ending of the last game in the trilogy. He tells you your only choice is to destroy all the life on earth so the mutants don’t destroy all the life on earth. Or am I thinking of a different game?

5. Archie says:

While I enjoyed the unrestricted destructive nature of prototype, I cannot bring myself to buy a game where two of the eleven reasons the marketing department think best describe the game are part of exclusive DLC. What a shame.

• gory says:

I was worried noone would notice…

• blind_boy_grunt says:

Those are some of the sneakiest placed youtube annotations i’ve ever come across, at first i didn’t know what you were talking about, then i watched it again. But in their defense they perhaps were not talking about the monster but the rocketlauncher.

• RegisteredUser says:

Holy cow, I did not see that.

6. 1Life0Continues says:

Did I see Day 1 DLC in the bottom corner?

• Starky says:

It is cosmetic crap and a few random novelty (reskinned SFX) powers in a single player game – perfectly acceptable day1 DLC.

So long as it isn’t crucial to the plot (NPC characters for example), or gameplay (and I’d wager that vortex power will have something functionally exactly the same with a different special effect) then it’s fine.

In other words, anything made by the art department (when they’ve got nothing else to do towards the end of the development) is fine.

7. Milky1985 says:

So one of the reasons that I should get hte game is only in the collectors edition dlc??

Think i’ll pass on both the dlc and the game thanks.

I have spent a lot less on games recently, due to partly there not being many out but also due to teh ublishers attitude to dlc, not getting tekkan x streetfighter cause of the on disc content, not getting mass effect 3 cause of hte cut out day 1 dlc.

May need to find a new hobby :/

• Starky says:

Seriously you’re passing on the game because a cosmetic skin that lets you appear as the main character of the first game is bonus DLC for the collector edition?

There are times to be angry when game makers take day 1 DLC too far, but this clearly isn’t one of them.

8. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I like how they advertise content which requires pre-order DLC or achievement-hunting to obtain. Classy.

• Shooop says:

It worked with BF3, why not use something that obviously works?

9. Jesse L says:

It looks, in its mechanics, like fun, and yet…so grody. I wish they hadn’t chosen “gross” as their guiding aesthetic theme. I like to bust stuff up as much as anyone, but please. “That fat jelly thing can have New York, I refuse to touch it with my hands.”

10. Kdansky says:

All it takes is a look at the main character and his clothing to know that this game (just like the first one) is a cheap cash-in on a specific target demographic. Loud, obnoxious, without style but pretending very hard.

• Steven Hutton says:

Come on now. Lets be fair. Prototype isn’t even pretending to have style. It’s just the smashing things and being angry game. Which, yeah, great!

It’s like the developers finally realised that the most fun you can have in GTA is just rampaging around the city with a tank and a grenade launcher. Then made a whole game that was just that.

11. Shooop says:

So two of the reasons for getting this game are available only in the DLC. The rest being things you basically already could do in the first one.

12. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

There may be no limit to the number of things I wish to uppercut.

13. Shazbut says:

Butt-Head: “Hu-huh-huh huh huh huh”

14. Hug_dealer says:

The game has style, it just might not be the style you want. Style is style, the fact that you have your pants around your knees and only have 1 arm going through your shirt sleeve doesnt mean you dont have style, its just i find your style to be uninteresting.

The game pretty much provides the kind of entertainment that certain people want, and expect. How many of us grew up reading various comic books like spawn, and wildcats and such were it was over the top violence etc. Now we are to good to allow it in our video games?

This game touches me in places that other games in the same genre dont. And i like it. But i wont be purchasing because of who is involved in the game.

If you are going to knock a game for something, maybe it be something that the game does badly, not because its not what you want.

15. DOLBYdigital says:

Man I remember when there was no such thing as DLC… I mean there were expansion packs and similar but you could tell lots of time were put into the expansion packs. Now a days, it seems like they actually leave or strip out content from the game, just to call it DLC and charge for it. It started a couple years ago and is now becoming the standard. I didn’t like it when I first noticed it and now I hate it. The more the gaming scene turns into an industry with big money publishers, the less I like about it. Still love the indie and modding scenes though!

….. *sighs* whew, sorry about that! Just had a rough day so had to let that one out. Feeling better now, thanks for putting up with that if you read it :)

• RegisteredUser says:

I feel the same way.

Simply do not financially support the bastards, keep giving it to the indies.

• Shooop says:

There is DLC which is somewhat well done, that acts like expansion packs like Borderlands. But since BF3 proved people will happily buy day-one DLC it’s going to be used as another cash-in method by most publishers.

• Starky says:

Seriously starting to get silly now the number of people complaining about DLC these days…

Games have cost the same for the past 2 decades, and in fact are cheaper than ever (or at least don’t hold value anywhere near as long – unless made by blizzard).

Yeah DLC that withholds vital game content or gives unfair advantage in multiplayer games should never be accepted – and rightfully so.
        But what is wrong with games companies making a few extra bucks on a title by selling utterly optional and purely cosmetic (or at least non-essential/sidegrade) extra’s for people who like such things?

• Saiko Kila says:

I feel almost the same. Games hold less value now, and they are often tied to an account, or need online servers (both DRM and content) with limited lifespan. Publishers would love all games to be like services. Most monies are spent on marketing. Content is cut and devs are limited because they need to cater to wider masses, which means finding a lowest common denominator, so publishers are playing safe. But it also means lower quality – not because lack of money, as it was common decade ago, but because of marketing needs.

I think the DLC and day-0 DLC are kind of middle-ground between traditional games (the game is a finished piece, both from artistic and – hopefully – technical point, which you buy once and optionally can trade, like a DVD or a book) and full services (where the idea is to suck you cash on regular basis while limiting your customer rights, and to dose content like a medicine, to prolong it maximally). Of course it’s all about money for them, but the greed is too much spoiling the gaming industry.

16. deadpan says:

I really enjoyed the first one as a sandbox game but this just looks like more of the same. It feels more like an expansion pack than a full sequel.

But I’ll certainly get it during the next Steam Christmas sale when it’s 66% percent off with DLC available for pennies.

17. AlwaysRight says:

Is this the sequel to Dear Esther?

18. bill says:

I wish they’d make another Hulk game. Somehow upercutting helecopters or using two halves of a police car as knuckledusters is much more fun with a big green guy and more cartoonish violence. I want to throw cars at people, but I don’t want to have explosions of gore when i do it!*

*like real life.

19. Oof says:

I prefer inFamous.

20. Yuri says:

So, correct me if i’m wrong, but they’re actually introducing an online component to Prototype in the form of Radnet as an added achievement list with equally silly assignments just so you could unlock something in a singleplayer game?
    And they’re also putting out Day 1 DLC?

Wow. Talk about milking. I really can’t see this being all too well received on the PC once it comes out.

Pity. Prototype was great mindless fun.