Potomac Primed – Gettysburg: Armored Warfare

By Adam Smith on March 23rd, 2012 at 9:14 am.

You'd hate to see his maxigun

Combining RTS and third-person action isn’t enough for Gettysburg: Armored Warfare, which also chooses to put miniguns into the hands of Confederate and Union forces, and zeppelins in the skies above the battlefields of the American Civil War. I’ve been eager to try out the multiplayer oddity ever since Jim first brought it to my attention but I’d assumed I’d have to wait a lot longer. However, the game, built almost completely by one brave man, will be released for digital download on March 27th for $9.99. That’s so close I can practically smell the gunpowder and moustache wax.

I’m as excited by the map editors and modding capabilities as I am about the core of the game, although some of those feaures will be added via the Steam Workshop and may not be available immediately at launch. The history meets future concept is immediately appealing to me but I’m not entirely sure how the balance of strategy and action will play out.

I suspect I’ll want to spend most of my time with the Army Skirmish mode, which pits four players against each other in a strategy-off and allows them to take direct control of any existing unit on their side. The 64-player enormous deathmatch could be fun too but it might all be a little overwhelming and uncoordinated. I demand coordination in my games of historical perversion and mass slaughter.

More thoughts when we have them.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Phantoon says:

Boy, that’s quite a thing. I am excited for this, if mainly for the mustaches.

2. Oof says:

One man (mostly) did this? Colour me impressed.

3. MajorManiac says:

I’m seriously looking forward to this. I may be making a huge leap here, but does anyone know if this is in anyway connected to the technology, or talent that made Mount and Blade?

4. atticus says:

This should turn in to a series of games, as all pre-1900 conflicts surely benefits from miniguns and Zeppelins thrown into the mix!

Gaius Marius: “Listen up ya’ll! In order to counter the threat of the barbarian hordes at our borders, I propose a reform of our military: Miniguns and zeppelins gentlemen, MINIGUNS AND ZEPPELINS!”

The Senate: “Omg, lol!”

Gaul: “WTF?”

• westyfield says:

“This is blasphemy! This is madness!”
      “No… this is SPARTA!

*miniguns Persian into a pit*

• atticus says:

“Spartans & Miniguns”…. it would be the most epic movie ever.

Persian messenger: “Our arrows will block out the sun!”

Spartan soldier: “Good! That’ll stop our miniguns from overheating!”

5. G-Lord says:

I didn’t expect this so soon. Sounds like chaotic fun I have to support.

6. mbp says:

This farce is pants.

I have long wanted to play an American Civil ware themed vide game that wasn’t strictly designed for grognards but this isn’t it.

I could go for Call of Duty: Gettysburg
    or perhaps even beter Company of Heroes: Gettysburg
    but no one seems to be interestedin making one of those games. The only thing that came close was Call of Juarez 2.

• Winged Nazgul says:

Just finished watching the trailer for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter so this news just continues the theme and is most welcome. Can’t wait to try it out.

• Gimvi says:

It may not be exactly what you are looking for but there is a really good mod for Mount and Blade: Warband called Mount and Musket which is based on Napoleonic warfare.

There is Civil War mod in the works for it also.

• Torgen says:

Just seconding what mbp said. I could totally get into this if it didn’t have the steampunk stuff in it (which is curious because I’m usually all about the steampunk.) I’d love an engine where one could mod some of the huge number of 19th Century conflicts at a company/regimental level.

• Zwebbie says:

mbp: Darkest of Days plays partially during the American Civil War. You get futuristic weapons at some point, but you don’t have to use them.

7. mbr says:

Assassins Creed 3 STEP DOWN!

8. Trelow says:

I cannot express my anticipation and excitement in mere human words.

9. Bogart says:

Any word on weather or not we get a single player skirmish mode or something similar? It looks good, but a lot of the mods won’t be touched if they each require a server to run it and have players join. We’ll end up with the top 10 mods played and the rest overlooked.

10. Easy says:

Oh and I’ve been rooting to get a group together, so head down to Rock, Paper, Bayonette (RPS_S) on Steam and let’s pew pew those handsome little men in uniforms.

11. Geen says:

Mustaches? Miniguns? ZEPELLINS? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

12. Brothabear says:

Amazing, I been posting about this game for a while in the forums. Less enthusiasm , more jerks…