A Kraken Good Time: Risen 2

By Adam Smith on March 26th, 2012 at 10:30 am.

Is this a cove? It looks covey.

I’d love to be a pirate. Not a real one because I don’t think I’d enjoy murdering strangers to make ends meet, but I can certainly see myself drinking rum on a tropical island. Essentially I want to go on holiday somewhere warm and tranquil, and despite the mythical sea beasties, slavery and violence, Risen 2 is set in the kind of island paradise where a man could spend an eternity watching clouds lazily drifting across the sky, galleons sharply cutting through the calmness of the waters and lead shot efficiently puncturing the rear of a rear admiral. Judging by the video below, people are going to expect me to do more than bask in the sun though. Shame.

All these higher purposes and unknown journeys sound like they might be exhausting but I’ll agree that it looks like a world worth fighting for. If only someone else would do all the fighting so I could just kick back and enjoy the scenery. Jim quite enjoyed waving his sword at monkeys and spiders (but not, presumably, spider monkeys) though so maybe I’ll be happy to join in with the fighting. World in turmoil or not though, I’ll mainly be in it for the beaches.

, .

1. Turbobutts says:

Animation looks a bit clunky at point but I’m really looking forward to it. Can’t wait to be a pirate fighting spider monkeys in a current gen game with actual colors.

2. somini says:

Is it Krah-ken or Krai-ken? Krah-ken comes from latin, right?

• Ultra Superior says:

No! It comes from under the water…

• westyfield says:

Wikipedia says it’s ‘kray-ken’ (a as in base) or ‘kraah-ken’ (a as in father), which is weird because I always pronounced it ‘krack-en’ (a as in back). It’s from the Norwegian ‘krake’, which apparently means the same monster.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Kraiken are only found in Ireland. Mostly in pubs.

3. Ultra Superior says:

All you need is one Quen-spamming Witchaa !

4. kataras says:

I m looking forward to it but WTF were they thinking when setting the price? 1 cent shy of 50 euros is crazy.

• TormDK says:

Pre-ordering gives us free DLC though.

50 Euro doesn’t seem like that unnormal a price for an AAA game.

• kataras says:

Depends on what the DLC actually is (how long etc) but 50 is a bit too much and it’s not even AAA (even then it’s not justified for me). I would gladly pre-order for 30 though.

• Burky says:

I only buy AAAAAAA games

• HaVoK308 says:

Well I only by AAAAAA games that score at least a 96 on Metacritc! Cuz its all about the Numbers yo! And I’z so hardcore!

• Xardas Kane says:

I would like to hear what your definition of an AAA game is. Rise 2 is gigantic, I think about 70-80% the size of Skyrim, it’s beautiful and it comes from a developer that has proven time and time again they can deliver. And they actually already have a pirates game behind them – the Gothic 2 expansion Night of the Raven. Honestly, I don’t see how the game doesn’t deserve it’s 40-50 EU price tag.

• kataras says:

I am not debating what is and what is not an AAA title, nor am I bashing the game. I am actually really looking forward to it. I am just saying that for a game that doesn’t have the fanbase of MW3, it’s risky to charge 50 euros for it. Few games have done it and most of them have an established fanbse that’s huge and are milking it for all it’s worth. I just can’t see any game justifying a 50 euro price tag really, especially since you ‘re just getting a license and you don’t even own it.

• paterah says:

MW3 and other big-name titles charge 60 not 50. Every game that is not by a new indie company charges 50.

• The Colonel says:

Don’t think I’ve ever paid more than £24.99 for a PC game. What is going on!?!

• Azhrarn says:

You’re British, the retailers have maintained the price of games at the same level as when the pound was worth considerably more than it is today. Something that I envy the Brits for, but I’ll happily order my games through Amazon UK to get the same savings over here in mainland Europe.

5. wodin says:

Combat looks very dumbed down from Risen. Infact my memories of Risen was it looked great, better than this. Though I maybe wrong.

Chaz says:

Yeah but that looked like cut scene stuff rather than proper in game combat.

• Burky says:

The amount of combat cutscenes is strange for Gothic/Risen, which usually as a rule made cutscenes pretty much dialogue only.

I really hope there isn’t some Bioware influence going on here.

RedViv says:

Let’s hope it’s not two chapters good, one of meh, and all boring dungeon crawl against the same enemies over and over after that.

Also, the Piranhas have learned how to create female models. Surprisingly.

• Urthman says:

I’m not gonna believe it’s really a Piranha Bytes game until I see a character do that goofy hand salute gesture while he’s talking.

7. TheDreamlord says:

Sorry, but forty quid on Steam? Get the feck out of here…

• Contrafibularity says:

Outside of sales and indie titles, has Steam ever been cheap? No. The last few dozen new “AAA” (ugh) titles I’ve searched for on Steam were, without exception, in the 50-60€ range, lol.

8. Burky says:

Day One DLC is a bit naff

but Gothic/Risen is my second favourite series of all time so they’ve already got my pre-order the ruthless bastards

• Burky says:

oh haha it’s 40 quid/50 euro?

am I in some bizzro world where games in Australia are half the price of European releases, instead of the other way around?

9. StingingVelvet says:

Wonder if the Xbox version of this will be as crap as the original Risen’s port. Been thinking of going console lately.

stahlwerk says:

This really makes me want to finish Gothic 1 after all these years.

Maltose says:

Anyone else think that kraken looks a lot like the one in berserk (the mouth-tentacle thing especially)?

12. The Colonel says:

VOICE ACTING AHOY!!!! (Not the good kind)

13. PostieDoc says:

Is this being made with PC as the primary platform or are the rumours true that they have gone with the Xbox this time?

• Burky says:

PC is primary, console port done by the same people that did the Risen 1 port.

14. Alistair says:

It’s 50 USD in the States.

Things that would make it worth it: Exploration and interacting with factions.

Things that would make it not worth it: Linear / combat heavy sections.

Place your bets… seriously for $50, ok, maybe, but 40 quid?

15. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Interesting to see the price discussion. In the US, new PC games are pretty close in price to new console games. AAA games are at best ten dollars less, and they are more and more frequently debuting at the same price. So in Europe PC games start at lower prices rather than benefit from aggressive sales and soon-after-release price slashes?

16. deadly.by.design says:

Maybe I’m just ruined from console-ported shooters, but did that FOV look goofy/huge to anyone else? It was almost Quake-y at certain points.

Hopefully this will have a demo. R1′s demo saved me the cash of buying the first game, but I’m willing to try the sequel.

17. fish99 says:

Not gonna pay more for this than Diablo 3 or Skyrim. I’ll wait till it’s £20-25. TBH it takes me so long to get round to playing most games I really should stop ordering stuff in the first 6 months after release. That’d probaly cut my game expenditure in half.

This’ll probably be £9.99 in a steam sale next christmas.

18. ulix says:

Seriously, why is everyone wondering that this costs 50€?
    It’s the standard (suggested retail) price for PC games today in mainland Europe…

And you can get it cheaper, depending on where you order: Amazon.de sells it for 43€.

Sure, some games may have a suggested price of 45€ or 40€, but the developers have a huge (and loyal) following especially in Germany, and for a huge open world RPG 50€ sure isn’t that much more expensive than could have been expected?

19. Ultra-Humanite says:

You wouldn’t make much booty as a pirate if you murder the strangers you are supposed to ransom.