Everybody’s Free: Starbreeze’s Next Game Is Free-To-Play

By Craig Pearson on March 26th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Ah, Syndicate. Er, nice try.
We have a name, Cold Mercury, and we have a vague notion as to what the business model will be, free-to-play, but that’s all there is to know about Syndicate developer Starbreeze’s next game. Business smarties GamesIndustry.biz dug up the details from Starbreeze’s CEO Mikael Nermark. He said.

“Starbreeze will not leave the AAA segment. We are discussing with several leading game publisher on publisher financed games, but we will broaden our product portfolio of games in the new business models and segments that have arisen in the games industry. I am convinced that Starbreeze will be successful with the new games.”

So what are we looking at, here? Adam reckons “The first in a series of episodic FPS games following the career of American Music Club. The next one will be called Temperate San Francisco.”

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. JerreyRough says:

Oh look, another free-to-play shooter. It might be good, but the market is already getting over-saturated with F2P arena shooters. :(

• Dominic White says:

The quality of them is spiralling upwards as of late. Seriously, check out Blacklight: Retribution. It’s clearly Call of Duty inspired, but with enough cyberpunk elements and big stompy mechs to set it apart.

Interestingly, while there’s a shitton of cash-shop stuff, almost all of it is ‘sidegrades’, and the basic default assault rifle is remarkably deadly and accurate.

2. Kdansky says:

“Episodic Shooter”?

So, one game in fifty years, then, like Valve?

• Brun says:

I’d rather have one excellent, incredible, genre-defining game every fifty years than a yearly repackaging of the same game with some slightly different maps at the same price (Call of Duty).

• DaftPunk says:

That sounded stupid.

• eks says:

Think about that for a minute. You would rather have one “great” video game every 50 years over 1 “average” one every year? The same video game for your entire life…..
        Hyperbole can sometimes be fun and can make a point, but here it just sounded stupid and overly defensive.

• TechnicalBen says:

What!?

So, Episodic now means 1 every 10 years…
        Sequals mean 1 every year?

I’ll get my coat, because I’m out of this confusing back to front place called “gaming”.

• Kdansky says:

It was a jab at Valve mostly, for their (actually not really) “episodic” HL2.

I’d rather have one awesome game every 50 years than a mediocre one yearly. Note that since there is more than a single developer on the world, we’d still have ample games to play during the wait. I don’t actually need sequels when I can have a different game instead.

3. sasayan says:

One might say their next title will be free as the breeze.

4. ZIGS says:

All I want from them is another Riddick game

5. Cinnamon says:

What Syndicate said to God when it’s name wasn’t found in the book of sales charts.

6. bVork says:

That screenshot is ghastly. It’s like they tried to make real one of those parodies of modern interface conventions. Like this one: http://s13.postimage.org/pxs9oukx3/1332780537153.jpg

7. ZIGS says:

Anyway I hope their new game will have copious amounts of bloom and lens flare

8. Tei says:

I have bought Syndicate 2 at full price, and feel bad about it. The game don’t have the length of legs that other coop games have. I have put way more hour in games like EyE, Borderlands, Dungeon Defenders or Minecraft. Is weird, because Syndicate 2 has quality, but it feel like one of these soulless AAA productions. EyE had insanity and the same gameplay, and I can be more than half a weekend wasting time in Dungeon Defenders doing something horrible insane boring, and still have fun. Borderlands was a blast.

Perhaps coop games need better networking, and more graphic options, and … I don’t know. I know I get way more joy from Dungeon Defenders than 1000 games like Syndicate 2.

9. Vernalagnia says:

I liked Enclave. That’s about as far as I ever got with Starbreeze.

10. JerreyRough says:

Ahhh the bots are taking over the comment sections :(

11. TwwIX says:

This developer is a wonderful example of one hit wonders.