It Grimrock No Bozo, It Gold

By Alec Meer on March 26th, 2012 at 1:30 pm.

Game over? but it's not even out yet!

“Everybody at the office is totally jazzed up and we really can’t keep in our pants much longer.” Almost Human, you sicken me. Surely there’s a less sexy way of declaring that much-anticipated indie first-person dungeoneering RPG Legend of Grimrock has gone gold? Gold as in ‘finished.’ I do share their excitement, however, even if it’s evidenced by my brain rather than my under-trouser parts. Almost everything we’ve seen of this Dungeon Master-like looks exceptionally promising, and it’s all been done without Almost Human having to kick any starts whatsoever.

We’ll find out full launch details later this week, but all being well we can expect it in April. Someone else on RPS already has Grimrock review code, and they’re not sharing. I’m going to go and burn their house down to teach them an important lesson.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. UncleLou says:

Nice, just the thing to tide me over until May 15.

I wonder if it’s just the PC version that has gone gold, or also the iOS one? Be temped to buy it for the tablet if it’s the same game.

edit:

Ah, the FAQs say they release the Windows version first, so PC it is then for me.

2. torchedEARTH says:

That’s a beautiful screen shot, but I was worried slightly when it said Game Over. I was all ready to scream Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! But I didn’t have to.

3. SandmanXC says:

Y U BREAK THEIR SITE?

4. 2late2die says:

It’s funny. I barely remember these types of games, (I think) I played a Ravenloft game of this type, and something else that I can’t even remember, but somehow I’m super excited about Legend of Grimrock. There’s just something about going back to the simplicity of a “fixed position” party where you don’t have to worry about them screwing up path finding or blocking your character or much of bad AI nonsense in general – it’s just your equipment and your stats against the enemies in a beautifully rendered environments.
    In short, I am looking forward to nice long evenings playing with my LoG.

• dreadguacamole says:

You’re probably thinking of the Dreamforge games – can’t remember the first one’s name (stradh’s something), but the sequel was called Stone Prophet. They were, as most of the stuff Dreamforge put out, lovely – or at least I thought so.
      They weren’t similar to the Eye of the Beholder games at all, though – they weren’t step-based, they were full 3d first person exploration games, similar to the last few might and magic games.

• Wizardry says:

Indeed. Strahd’s Possession and Stone Prophet. Both came out in mid-90s. However, I thought the games were very much mediocre, but they weren’t as bad as Menzoberranzan.

But yes, this game is a step by step kind of game like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder.

• dreadguacamole says:

Maybe – hence the qualifier on my praise. I doubt I played any RPG I didn’t like in my teens/early twenties.
          What this put me in mind is SSI’s Veil of Darkness, which was a ravenloft game in everything but the year it took place on. It was also a great blend of graphic adventure / RPG, inspired no doubt by Ultima 7.
          Interesting; the (gushing) Wikipedia says it’s an action RPG? I could have sworn the battles were turn based, similar to the fallout games….

• Wizardry says:

Veil of Darkness was a Dreamforge game too.

• dreadguacamole says:

Hah! That’s brilliant – didn’t know they were the same as the Event Horizon guys. Summoning, Sanitarium, WH Rites of War, Anvil of Dawn… man, they made some of my favorite games from that era.

5. RedViv says:

Will I buy it? Yes. Will I enjoy it? I don’t know, action-based Wizardry is not a big genre.

• Torn says:

I’m throwing my wallet at the screen but nothing’s happening. Confusing.

Anyway, there’s quite a few of em on the iPhone app store – ‘Undercroft’ is a pretty good (albeit simple) one, and ‘The Quest’ series of games is fairly similar and more involved.

• Casimir's Blake says:

“action-based Wizardry is not a big genre.”

It really, really should be. But I guess most people want the same FPS / superhero sandbox rubbish instead, hence the 360 / PS3 library.

I will be buying Grimrock at least twice, just to show my support. I’m pleased to see that I’m not the only person here absolutely desperate to throw my money at [any developer making a game like] Grimrock.

• Wizardry says:

“Action-based Wizardry”, as you seem to call it (correct or incorrect), actually was a HUGE genre in the early 90s. In fact, probably half of all RPGs that came out at the time were Dungeon Master clones. Almost every developer wanted to make one and it became very difficult to wade through them all.

• ResonanceCascade says:

It’s true, I have an old CD-ROM collection from the 90′s that has about 15 of them on it . Most of them were crap, but there were a couple great ones.

• RedViv says:

I should have used the words “these days”, referred to the genre (which back then was “RPG”, and does not mean the same thing today) instead of the only still ongoing franchise that is similar, and more clearly explained that I am more wondering about what modern design aesthetics will do to the concept of EotB, DM, and the various clones.
        That was merely an impromptu comment.

6. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Never played a game of this style before, but I’m more than willing to give it a shot. Assuming it’s a DRM-free download.

7. Prime says:

I love you, Alec.

8. Neurotic says:

I played the living shit out of DM on my Amiga, and I’ll be caining the knickers off this too.

9. brulleks says:

Excellent news. Just watched the trailers again and I can’t wait to try it out.

10. Moraven says:

Real time combat like Might and Magic.
    Dungeon crawling, hooked recent years with Etrian Odyssey.

Sign me up.

11. Ed123 says:

Meh, I’m not one of those morons like Wizardry/MMXI who think that turn-based is inherently superior, but this is the kind of game I’d rather play using such a system.

12. Robert says:

I just broke my monitor cause I threw my wallet at the screen.

13. JackDandy says:

Woooohoo!

I simply can’t wait to play this. Following this project was tons of fun.

14. AJ says:

Been waiting for this. fan-freaking-tastic!
    Best game genre reborn!
    /hug eye of the beholder
    /hug dungeon master