More Of The Samorost: Screens From Samorost 3

By Adam Smith on March 26th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

A boss battle! He flips it onto its back and then repeatedly stabs it in its weak underbelly.

Less challenge, more weird and wonderful environments to discover. That was the message I took from our interview with Amanita Design’s Jakub Dvorský, at least as far as Samorost 3 is concerned. The previous games, which you can and should play right now (Samorost 1, Samorost 2) are tranquil and inventive, politely requesting that your brain pays attention to the beauty and strangeness of the environments rather than troubling itself too much with complex puzzles. The third game will be much larger and here are the first pictures showing a few of the places the space gnome will be visiting.

Yes, that’s the same picture as the one at the top but with more stars. Perhaps if we identify the constellations we can work out where all of this oddness is and then fly there in a bird-powered bucket.

The pictures were actually extracted from a talk by Dvorský at the TEDxBrno Conference, so they’re not entirely new but it’s the first time a lot of people will be seeing them, including me when I saw them earlier at Indiegamemag.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. lordcooper says:

You had me at space gnome.

2. brulleks says:

I had no idea this was even on the cards. I’d assumed Amanita Design were concentrating on Botanicula over anything else at the moment. Great stuff.

3. iGark says:

Unlike some genres, the pictures don’t always look like the sam(e)orost(er).

4. EdenCrow says:

Am I the only person that things that all the other work by Amanita Design is much better than the Samorost series?

• Eddy9000 says:

Can’t say whether you’re the only one or not, but I’d defend them by saying that they were their earliest games, sold for a few bob, whereas Machinarium took years to create and was sold as a mid-range, and the polyphonic spree one had polyphonic spree.

• Lambchops says:

You aren’t alone but I suspect our opinions differ as while I don’t think Samorost is the best thing they’ve done it’s still utterley charming and lovely and I’m pleased to see more of it.

(clearly replying to EdenCrow and not Eddy, brand new comment style = brand new ways to reply fail)

• MD says:

I wouldn’t say all of their other work. Clearly Machinarium is a billion times better, but Machinarium is a billion times better than most games. I found Samorost 1 and 2 pretty charming. I don’t love them, and they are pretty forgettable (for me), but I enjoyed playing them.

• bill says:

You might not be the only one who is wrong. But you would clearly be wrongy mcwrong.

I was so disappointed that Machinarium was such a chore after the fun that was Samorost… hopefully 3is a little more like 1, and a little less like Machinarium and the end of samorost 2.

5. Randomer says:

Speaking of Dvorsky, the Kooky movie he worked on is finally available for purchase in a dubbed English format! Unfortunately, the only distributor I found is iTunes. :/

Anyway, it’s delightful and charming, and the animation style is fantastic. I think repeat viewings might suffer from a few parts being a little slow, but all in all it was an enjoyable experience. Except for having to install iTunes on my machine. *sigh*

• Tom De Roeck says:

How about you find out how to pay the artist directly, and get the movie “off the net” ?

• ABoretz says:

@Randomer, You can buy the English dub of Kooky via Jan Sverak’s eBAY shop. (search for seller: biografjs) Note: only available in PAL format

6. Jerakal says:

And this leaves me wondering where Botanicula is.

7. Raiyan 1.0 says:

SO PRETTY!

Amanita and Frozenbyte – I would do crazy stuff to you guys if I ever found you. :)

8. Hodge says:

For anyone who speaks Czech the actual talk can be found here.

9. Temperance says:

If the music is still done by whatever strange, mystic creature did the music in the others, I am in.

• ABoretz says:

@Temperance, I posted the wrong info earlier…

Tomas Dvorak (aka FLOEX) WILL be composing and creating the soundtrack to Samorost 3. ( i got confused and thought you were asking about Botanicula – that S.T. was done by DVA )

10. Zephos says:

Yay!

11. Navagon says:

Botanicula would be enough by itself. More Samorost is just spoiling us.