The Rock, Paper, Shotcast Episode 2: TeaBoss

By Alec Meer on March 27th, 2012 at 4:04 pm.

Kieron always wants to sit on Adam's lap

Assembling for the second ever Shotcast are these reprobates:

Alec Meer (mumbly), Adam Smith (Northern), Jim Rossignol (bored), Kieron Gillen (not Northern).

Discussed: tea, Mass Effect 3′s bugs, Half-Life, the problem with bosses, Perpetuum Online, Darksiders 2, games journalists singing Metallica, tower defence, Notch’s space game and Assassin’s Creed III.

Audio quality: Still wonky. We’re working on it. We need to get hold of some expensive microphones, soundcards, headphones and replacement larynxes, basically.

Download/streaming links: below.

Listen to it RIGHT HERE:

Or download your own personal copy RIGHT HERE.

Alternatively, you can grab it and former episodes of the late Electronic Wireless Show here. And, if you’d like to subscribe via iTunes (the worst piece of software in the known world), hopefully this should work.

, , .

Makariel says:

Lovely!

But does the personal copy come with always-on drm?

• mentor07825 says:

But the real question should be: Does it come with dragons?

2. sinister agent says:

You can’t fool us by putting on a variety of silly voices, John. We all know RPS is the product of your lunatic brain meld, with some assistance from the Quinns-Bot due to your atrophied legs.

• McDan says:

This is true, even KG is just his most successful alter-ego. Also excellent words again chaps!

3. Jams O'Donnell says:

I closed the window and my podcast stopped playing. Why, technology, why?

• sinister agent says:

It’s all a clever trick. Downloading the podcast simply alerts RPS to your address, so they can beam into your neighbourhood and shout through your window.

4. Milky1985 says:

Awesome! Thanks very much!

Sometime to listen to as i attempt to get healthy at the gym (then get hungry on the way home and get a mcdonalds :P)

[EDIT] I agreea bout iTunes, not letting that piece of crap anywhere near any of my machines from now on, i still don’t know why it needs to install so much stuff JUST to use a media player/downloader.

Durkonkell says:

I was JUST thinking “I need something to listen to, I wonder when the next RPSCast is out”. And here it is!

And Uncle Kerion is in it. Remarkable.

6. Alexander Norris says:

Is Kieron standing in a teapot for the entire recording?

• Sarlix says:

I’m not convinced he’s even in the same room.

It sounds like he’s shouting from a very distant hallway, which is underwater.

• terry says:

He borrowed John’s cream tea pot for the occasion.

Hodge says:

If you really want to sort out your sound troubles you may have to take your PCs apart and reassemble them on the rooftops of your houses.

8. wcanyon says:

4 months with no podcast, then 2 in 2 weeks???? Alec, I’m sorry that you have cancer and only have 2 months to live.

9. Xaromir says:

Somehow i really like cutting my nails while listening to this. It’s not a negative thing and i can not explain it but that’s the way it is. Cool episode. :)

10. The Tupper says:

Bloody iTunes. Y’know it steals your DVD drive if you try to uninstall it?

liquidsoap89 says:

I… Am having a hard time understanding Kieron. CURSE MY NORTH AMERICANNESS!

12. John Walker says:

Hang on? No John Walker? Then what’s the point of listening?

yandexx says:

Pods have been cast! \o/

14. Gesadt says:

what is this vile sorcery of podcast actually coming out regularly

15. westyfield says:

“Kieron Gillen (not Northern).”

What? Gillen is so northern it hurts.

• Edgar the Peaceful says:

I think Stafford is technically the West Midlands. Its certainly ‘on the way’ North though.

• Katsumoto says:

Stafford is soooo not the north. His accent is classic midlands (he sounds like my MOM – which is Midlandish for Mum).

• Chris D says:

I grew up near Inverness. Anyone from below Dundee counts as a Southerner in my book.

16. danimalkingdom says:

Adam Smith is northern? Disgusting, i bid you good day

17. Unaco says:

Adam Smith is Northern? So where in Scotland are you from then Adam?

Keymonk says:

Any transcripts? I’m afraid I’m disabled in the aural reception area (my attention span can’t handle just sound), so is this possible? I don’t want to sound terribly lazy, but… I can pay more attention if it’s written, it’s truth.

19. Swabbleflange says:

I got stuck in that same spot in ME3. Luckily I had an autosave from moments before where I was at the galactic map. Had it happen later in the game too. Seemed to trigger from standing in the centre of the cockpit, talking to Joker, the talking to EDI.

20. Amun says:

As an american, I can attest that you all sound exactly identical. Well done!

• Katsumoto says:

If its any consolation,I have to try reeeeaaaalllly hard to tell any difference between US/CA and AU/NZ accents.

• hoobajoo says:

American here, I can tell the RPS crew all have different ways wot you talk, but I cannot explain in words what the difference is, or what specific 10 cubic kilometer stretch of land to attribute them to.

21. Radiant says:

Hah!
    Worlds greatest ‘fuck this shit’ sigh at the end.

felisc says:

hey there rps. maybe rather than buying new mics and soundcards, you should just avoid a rec through skype. for example each of you could record his own voice on his computer with any basic recording software, and then just stack the 3 or 4 .wav together in a free sound editor.
    for sync you all clap your hands at (approximately) the same time at the beginning of the recording, and that’s it.
    well, that was my advice.

oh and also, i highly enjoy these podcasts.

• Alec Meer says:

We do that, but the individual recordings are still crappo due to poor kit/surroundings. We’re working on getting better stuff though.

felisc says:

oh ok !
        well the poster downstairs has it right then. thommann offers plenty of cheap opportunities indeed.

23. MikoSquiz says:

I mentioned on Twitter but I’m not sure if you caught it:

The Samson C01U is a large-diaphragm condenser microphone (in plain English: a swanky high-fidelity mic like wot the pros use) that plugs directly into USB with its own built-in analog/digital converter, obviating the need for a nice sound card; it comes with a desktop stand, since it’s meant for podcasting and the like.

So, all you need in one package. It’s reputed to be amazing value for money at the £95 RRP, as microphones go, and thomann.de has it for £63. (They also do a rather less impressive own-brand knockoff for £32, but that doesn’t come with a stand.)

• Alec Meer says:

Cheers. We’re doing some research and will hopefully have a bunch of new stuff soon.

• Gabe McGrath says:

Alec, another option (when you have 2+ people in the one place) is the Zoom H2.

It’s a stereo mic/recorder combo designed to capture multiple speakers around a table.

These guys use it for their podcast (http://www.gametaco.net/) and the quality is *great*.

Also (assuming you don’t have an ‘audio nutter’ on the team doing this already) I’d suggest running a compression* over the final audio file to improve its listenability.
        (*As in the kind of compression they do in studios/radio/TV, not ‘mp3 compression’)

• terry says:

Seconding this, Zoom equipment is freaking great for mobile recording. If you can pick up a refurb/demo model they’re even cheap.

• MikoSquiz says:

Oh, yeah. Stay close to the mic (if you’re like two foot away it’s gonna pick up a lot of room acoustics), normalize the signal afterwards and compress it a little. No, a little. No, now it sounds like you’re sucking on the microphone, that’s really offputting to headphone listeners, take it off again. A LITTLE compression. There. Good. You generally shouldn’t need to EQ unless your microphone is a piece of shit. Or if you’re extremely close to the mic you may want to cut the bass a little. Don’t go sticking flangers and echo-reverbs on just because you can, that’s silly.

piratmonkey says:

I personally use a Blue Yeti microphone and find it suitable for all sorts of audio capturing. :D

• MikoSquiz says:

Oh! Blue also do the Snowball, which is also a relatively-cheap-large-diaphragm-condenser-USB-mic-with-desktop-stand-for-the-podcastings, commonly used and much liked. That’s in the £100 range RRP too.

24. Max.I.Candy says:

i had zero crashes or bugs in my 2 playthrus of ME3……(but i played it on 360).

25. Kebab says:

Surely it should be Rock, Paper, Shoutgun?

And you should speak through megaphones into the mic.

26. YourMessageHere says:

Good fun. Too short, though. Can’t you, I don’t know, plan what to talk about beforehand? Just a little bit? Maybe you’d all have a bit more to say about things, then.

I for one have absolutely no problems with the sound quality. Then again I listen to Radio 4 a lot while in a reinforced concrete building that does weird things to reception so I’m used to distortion.