Shoot Many Robots Optimised For PC, Released 6 April

By John Walker on March 28th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Where is my continuity?!

Shoot Many Robots, Ubisoft’s co-op side-scrolling shooter, has a PC release date for Steam. The 6th April. It’s been out on console downloads for a while now, and has garnered an extremely confusing mix of reviews. The super-angry Destructoid loved it with an 8, while the pathologically generous IGN broke their score machine by going as low as 4.5. So I don’t know what to think. About anything. Pre-ordering the game will score you a few bonuses. Get three copies and they’ll throw in a fourth, along with some aesthetic Valve-themed changes for the game – the likes of Gordon Freeman as a playable character, or Portal turrets as enemies, along with some TF2 shenanigans.

The PC version is also receiving some better graphics, with up to 2560×1600 resolution for people who play games on the side of their house, along with new controls and interfaces specifically designed for PC, Steam’s matchmaking (and Facebook’s, apparently), along with voice chat. In fact, developers Demiurge seem to be straining themselves to prove they love the PC, despite the delayed release. Boss man Albert Reed grovelled,

“We’re dedicated PC gamers here at Demiurge Studios, and we wanted to make sure and take the time to do the PC version right. We rebuilt the controls for PC and overhauled all the user interface so it won’t feel like you’ve turned your keyboard into a gamepad that makes clicky sounds – every detail has been considered to make this an optimized and seamless experience.”

Have a trailer:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. int says:

I have never seen Gordon’s warface before!

Faldrath says:

That poor turret :(

3. Prime says:

The PC version is also receiving some better graphics, with up to 2560×1600 resolution for people who play games on the side of their house.

Can we clarify, John, that “better graphics” and higher resolutions aren’t the same thing? You say better graphics, I think higher textures, SSAO, etc. Not just switching up to more pixels.

• TotalBiscuit says:

But higher resolutions do make the graphics look better

• Calneon says:

More pixels = more detail = better graphics.

• Prime says:

Really? I’ve been playing Blood Omen 2 recently, a 2002 title, at the res of 1920×1080, and I have to say I’ve played many a game with better ‘graphics’ at far lower resolutions. I don’t believe it’s helpful or accurate to lump the two together.

Unless you’re saying Blood Omen 2 has equivalent graphics to Skyrim?

• evilmatt says:

No to mention that 2560×1600 isn’t even that high anyway. Currently enjoying ME3 at 6048×1080.

• Berzee says:

edit: ohh I get it now.

(you’re right — higher res, with no other changes, just means you get to have more graphics hitting your eyes at one time…but not necessarily more-graphical graphics)

• Nic Clapper says:

I guess at least a resolution was given instead of some buzzword garbage like “HD”.

Carra says:

“with up to 2560×1600 resolution for people who play games on the side of their house”.

Or on their new IPad.

5. DK says:

“We’re dedicated PC gamers here at Demiurge Studios, and we wanted to make sure and take the time to do the PC version right.”

Also known as “we signed dumb exclusivity contracts with Microsoft and Sony which stop us from admitting the fact”

• tossrStu says:

I kinda doubt it; it would be a pretty rubbish exclusivity agreement that lets MS and Sony both release the game — a relatively minor downloadable title at that — on the same day on the 360 and PS3 but stops it from coming out on the PC for, what, three and a half weeks? I’d be more inclined to point an accusatory finger at Ubisoft instead, seeing as how delaying the PC version of their games by a month seems to be their MO. Or hey, maybe the devs really are slavishly beavering away to satisfy the PC MASTER RACE with a nicely-done port. But I’d be genuinely surprised if it WAS anything to do with some kind of exclusivity contract

HermitUK says:

Demiurge ported the first Mass Effect to the PC, which wasn’t a bad effort. UI at least was much better than the console one. Though they did flub soundcard support horribly.

6. Mman says:

Gordon’s being followed by three people very vaguely arranged like a Lambda symbol. Obviously a Half-Life 3 reference!

7. Nintyuk says:

Gordon Freeman! This looks like a good purchase.

8. trjp says:

Hmmmmm – the 360 demo left me stone cold for 2 reasons.

1 was personal and subjective – I thought it looked like shit. REALLY like shit, they’ve adopted a grimy style which is just unpleasant to stare at IMO

2 was more of an issue tho – I thought the game itself was repetitive and dull. It plays like a cross between something like Turrican and a Diablo game (the loot, the loot) but for the most part of the 360 demo I felt either underwhelmed or overrun – it didn’t feel like there was some skill to fending off the enemies, it felt just like a massive grind.

Perhaps it opens-up a bit but opinions have seemed to vary in reviews with a few noting the lack of imagination in levels and the lack of a feeling of ‘mastery’ which you look to get in games like this (e.g. you’ll just end-up taking damage and slogging on instead of nimbly leaping around avoiding it).

I’d like to be proven wrong but the demo on 360 didn’t sell it to me 1 iota – and “moar pixels” isn’t enough to do that either.

9. Secundus says:

this whole self explanatory title thing is starting to spiral out of control, pretty soon my steam games list is gonna look like it was from repo man

10. mondomau says:

I dunno, the animation looks kind of stiff and awkward and the gunfire seems less frenetic than I was hoping. Oh well. Waitin’ on a demo I guess.

11. pilouuuu says:

This looks like Metal Slug without the humour. I don’t know how good the gameplay might be…

12. wodin says:

Looks fine to me anyway.

13. dysphemism says:

My mini-review based on the 360 version:
    Take the aesthetics and loot obsession of Borderlands, mix it with Contra, dumb it down, and you’ve got SMR. Can be fun with sitting-next-to-you friends, but it tires itself out rather fast, as it ends up feeling a bit like Progress Quest; gear and character levels affect your performance waaaay too strongly, and there isn’t enough skill or variety involved to keep it from feeling like a grind. I’d buy it again for $5, but not more than that.
    Too bad, too, as this could’ve scratched a serious itch. I miss having friends by to play TMNT: Turtles in Time, Sunset Riders, Super Smash Bros, and the like… XBL should’ve been a haven for games like that, but they really missed the mark.

14. edit says:

This is one of those games with such an amazingly generic title that I basically forget it exists within a few minutes. What were we talking about?

15. Durandir says:

They have a great Quick Look of this over at Giant Bomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-shoot-many-robots/17-5804/
    I do kinda want this, but seems it is a lot more fun if you play with friends. So… not sure yet.

16. TheManfromAntarctica says:

It really does look like Metal Slug!
    Why don’t they make a 2D HD remake of the Metal Slug series with online co-op on Steam?
    It would easily sell millions of copies.

• cosmicolor says:

It would probably bankrupt SNKP to make, sadly. KOF XIII nearly did, even.

17. E_FD says:

Are we sure this isn’t some reskinned localization of Metal Slug? Because it looks suspiciously similar.

18. mountainman says:

Anyone know where I can find a wallpaper size version of that picture?

• The Tupper says:

There’s a user who sometimes comes on here (goes by the name ‘zzyhhkakak’ or some variation) that may be able to help.

He offers substantial discounts, apparently, on a range of products, from JOYSTICK to XbOx QuALiTY H@rdware and ViAgARA.

With that depth of stock one can only assume a poster reproduction would not be beyond his purview.

19. hjd_uk says:

“Hello, is anbody ther – AAAAAaaaaaaaaa…….”

20. trjp says:

Just waking this a bit to say that anecdotal evidence (Steam Forums) suggests that the conversion to PC was quite thorough.

Amongst other things, they removed joypad support (yes, the 360 controller or anything else unless you map it yourself somehow)

That’s thorough!!

If it’s true it’s also pretty damned stupid.