Epic Mickey 2 Coming To PC, Via 800 Devs

By Jim Rossignol on March 30th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Eight hundred? Well, sort of. They’re not all working on it all of the time, but as Warren Spector explained to Eurogamer: “You can either build a studio that has 700 people, which I desperately don’t want to do, and didn’t and don’t and won’t, okay? Or you can find partners around the world… So we have people working in Leamington in the UK, in Bulgaria, China, Canada, California, Utah. We have an enormous virtual team.” That’s a bit like how RPS works, too, except we have five people. And some cats. They’re useless.

The Epic Mickey sequel – dubbed “The Power Of Two” because of its co-op shenanigans – will be out on PC in September, and we’ll be scanning the horizon for other details as they emerge. Trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. adonf says:

Sweet. Now can they release the first one on the PC too, like Double Fine did with their previous games? I never got around to buying it for the Wii toy.

• D3xter says:

You can already play it using something called “Dolphin”, good game but the WiiMote seemed a bit like a pain to handle though. Wouldn’t mind a direct port either tbh if they offered :P

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I attempted to play epic mickey on the wii once. Couldn’t figure my way out of the first room…

• trjp says:

I’d not get too excited – whilst it has some lovely ideas, Epic Mickey has god-awful controls, a camera controlled by an epileptic madman and graphics from the PS2 era.

That’s not to say you won’t get some fun out of it – but you’d not want to spend any serious money on it either…

• Jason Moyer says:

If they’re porting this to systems besides the Wii, presumably it will, at worst, be playable at much higher resolutions and with things like FSAA and Anisotropic Filtering. Plus, the worst part of the controls of any Wii game are that you’re using a crappy light gun, er, “motion” controller instead of a mouse, so mouse control shouldn’t be too hard to port over.

• Bhazor says:

It would take more than AA and upping the resolution to make this look good. Its just bad art design. Nice style terrible execution.

• InternetBatman says:

That’s doubtful given the mixed metacritic reviews. I do wish Brutal Legend would come over though.

Also, I really enjoy my Wii. The form factor is brilliant and I think that with some better underlying technology pointer control in one hand for camera/ aiming and analog in the other for running and movement would be combining the best of mice and controllers.

2. Bo Steed says:

Because as everyone knows, the fastest way to success when handling a delicate operation like porting a game from one system to another is to spread the team out as faaaaar as possible from one another. If you could put up a few language barriers it would work even better!

3. DocSeuss says:

I cannot understand why they need 800 people to do this.

I’d like to believe Warren Spector is secretly working on three Deus Ex-type games and one System Shock underneath it all.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

The bit where Mickey uses his stealth upgrades to slice Goofy’s neck from 800 yards will be controversial.

4. faelnor says:

That picture.
    I don’t really… understand… how Mickey’s ears… uhhh… work.

I… I… uh.

• Eclipse says:

yeah mickey’s ears always face the camera and to do that they kind of slide on his head :)
      It’s not just the picture, check the video, they look ALWAYS round no matter the point of view. Mickey’s ears are made of magic!

• Lars Westergren says:

So he has two flesh colored lumps scuttling back and forth across his skull. I wonder if this ear mimicry is a symbiotic relation or a parasitic?

Anyway, good news, the first game sounded fun even if it didn’t live up to all its promises.

• MacTheGeek says:

“You know, I’m a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with those ears.”

5. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Because spreading your work across hundreds of people you will never physically meet or be able to directly oversee is always a wise business decision. I mean, come on, Human Revolution’s boss fights would’ve been amazing if they had just used a few hundred more people in a few dozen more nations to get the job done. Go team!

6. Jason Moyer says:

I hope he goes the Epic Mickey 1 route and focuses on old school, crazy Mickey. I guess you almost have to if you’re basing it on the cartoons since he’s done fuck all since the 1930′s.

7. The Army of None says:

Yay, games for PC! Woooo, etc. Will probably pick this up if only because Mr. Spector is an amazing man

8. Xercies says:

Interesting but heard the first one really wasn’t that great so will have to know more about it. 800 people seems a lot though for one game!

9. Maktaka says:

“except we have five people. And some cats. They’re useless.” Who’s useless? The people or the cats?

10. Kleppy says:

Warren Spector sure slipped me an Epic Mickey.

11. MadMinstrel says:

Gee, I wonder how much they had to pay to license the character that was stolen from the public domain.

12. MichaelPalin says:

Ah, c’mon!, why is the medium wasting Mr. Spector’s talent on another fucking Disney game, wasn’t it enough with one?

• Khory says:

Cuz Disney pays the bills:)

• MSJ says:

Because making games for Disney has always been a dream of his. If Disney ask him to make a new Ducktales game it would be delayed for 6 months because they need to wake Spector out of his joy-induced coma first.

• LionsPhil says:

Moving away from The Mouse into something of theirs with an actual cast and setting of vague interest could only improve things.

13. Dare_Wreck says:

The biggest news to me is that RPS is 5 people – did I miss an announcement that the fifth position was officially hired? Or are you counting Craig during his temporary stay? Or maybe it’s no longer temporary?? //wishful thinking, enjoys his writing

14. Gnoupi says:

“That’s a bit like how RPS works, too, except we have five people. And some cats. They’re useless.”

“The cats are fine, though”

15. pilouuuu says:

It’s good times for PC gaming indeed!

16. Bfox says:

What sort of jobs do the cats get?

17. The Tupper says:

Mickey Mouse is so bland as a character it may as well be two Coca-Cola cans co-op’ing.

• Bhazor says:

When was the last time he did something that wasn’t a thinly disguised advert.

It is wierd, its like he’s just a corporate mascot now. Do Disney even do short animations anymore?

• Arglebargle says:

And yet, Disney’s desire to keep Mickey’s rights in-house have completely hosed IP laws for everyone. They are the deep evil of content control.

18. Daryl says:

For a moment, I thought it was very strange that a Wii exclusive was coming to PC. Then I checked and realized that Epic Mickey 2 was actually a multiplatform game. I guess it might be one worth looking into when it comes out later on.

19. The Sombrero Kid says:

Everyone knows the bigger the team the worse game so why Warren Spector gets into this pissing match I don’t know, 800 devs means nothing if, as it seems, none of them know how to write a renderer

20. noodlecake says:

the long eared one looks particularly sinister

21. rockman29 says:

Looks pretty lame tbh.

22. Rivalus says:

Is it only me or the classic mickey spinning ear look awfully like tails in sonic game? which also a sidekick for the main character.