Game Jam: What Would Molydeux?

By Adam Smith on March 30th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

imagine a game in which you play a book in the process of being read, nightly, by a lonely English teacher. Using a Kinect controller, attempt to alter your punctuation to guide his decisions and ultimate fate.

@PeterMolydeux operates a twitter feed of brilliant ideas, inspired by the thoughts and imaginings of an unspecified developer, which has been a source of intrigue and belly laughs since its inception. Just looking at today’s feed I see these startling visions: “Just imagine a kart game where you spend most of the game building one with your mother in a shed, you are the only people alive on earth” and “you play a baby in a pram and can only see your parent’s faces. Studying those faces deeply is the key to true progress”. This being the year of the Game Jam, a global 48 hour extravaganza will take place this weekend, exploring the visionary’s finest brain-eggs. Livestreams, chat and more await here.

, , , , .

1. Metonymy says:

I wish he would make another dungeon keeper, and not make those other games, that make me so very sad.

• LionsPhil says:

<PeterMolyneux> The new Dungeon Keeper will let you actually see the unique facial features and behavioural traits of every one of your minions, including the imps, each of which will have full, strong AI driving them with a complete pyramid of needs dictating their actions from simply needing to stuff their face with chickens in the hatchery to achieving their wildest life-long dreams and ambitions. Your imps will let you carve your dark domain infinitely in any direction through a realistically modelled set of geological strata, encountering and conquering other keepers before breaking the surface and taking on the entire armies of good, upstanding man. Also you will be able to marry as many Dark Mistresses as you want.

(2012, and still a comment system that silently eats angle brackets. Sigh.)

• timmyvos says:

An accessible Dwarfortress where you play the baddies? That might be OK.

• moagsgw says:

Attention all! Come to your local jam site and jam. It is not too late! You can make a videogame this weekend!

The Apple iPhone 3G (8GB) with free in expedited shipping is only $ 169.99!Do not miss it! http://srt.bz/1

• Premium User Badge The Sombrero Kid says:

I wonder how long it will take you to figure out why? ;)

• LionsPhil says:

Because someone still thinks it’s a good idea to mangle XHTML in a half-arsed and inconsistent fashion with regexps, of course. If I type “I <3 Deus Ex", IIRC it will automagically escape that to &lt;.

In fact, editing this post again, it’s even turned one of the quotes into &quot; on a whim. Not that editing and saving a post again is a no-op on this shoddy system…

• Paul B says:

@LionsPhil – I read that as Sombrero Kid’s reply to Metonymy but, saying that, there’s always room for discussion about RPS’s comment system, or lack of a decent one.

2. Ironclad says:

Clarification before the flood: this is NOT the real Peter Molyneux. It’s a Fake. This does not mean that the real Molyneux won’t copy some ideas wholesale though. Nor that it’s a bad twitter. It’s downright brilliant!

3. Drinking with Skeletons says:

The fact that this fake account is indistinguishable from the real thing is hilarious.

4. eaprivacypolicy says:

Peter Molyneux would hype a game or two, that’s would Peter Molyneux would deux.

5. The Dark One says:

I’m really impressed how this whole thing has come together, considering it started off as some casual back-and-forth musing on twitter.

6. Keith Nemitz says:

I’m just now finishing getting my tools in order. My team will be at the Oakland location. We’ve picked the tweet: “You play a babysitter. You turn up, and the baby is made of cardboard. Would you stay? I want games to start asking more ethical questions.”

Ours will be an Interactive Fiction.

see ya-all on the other side, Sunday night,

7. Duckee says:

What does Peter Molyneux actually think about this? Also, is it an a sarcy comment about the persona or a tribute? I am so confused.

• The Tupper says:

Don’t be confused – think the best of people and assume no sark. It’s much easier.

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

He loves it, really.

• tungstenHead says:

As circadianwolf notes above, Peter Molyneux is participating in What Would Molydeux. If he ends up making a game full of angry penises, we may assume he’s none too thrilled about the whole thing.

• Bhazor says:

I think all penises look at least a little cross. Either passive agressive and filled with self loathing (flaccid) or throbbing with rage (erect).

• v21 says:

Last night I was at the opening night of the London Molyjam. Peter Molyneux was there. He gave a speech (an epic speech), and went round to talked to the people and gave them design advice. He is a lovely man. I didn’t specifically ask him what he thought of the parody account, but he’s definitely in favour of the jam. And of hiring people from the jam…

• TechnicalBen says:

Interesting. I guess he was well intentioned all along. Just those sights were REALLY high. :P
        Oh, loved most of the games still!

8. Bhazor says:

No link to his youtube channel? For shame.

Believe.

• timmyvos says:

Thanks for posting that, it’s not like I wanted to sleep anyway.

• PleasingFungus says:

It’s… it’s so beautiful…

• frenz0rz says:

Jesus shitting christballs, I should not have watched that at 3am in a dark, empty house.

• PodX140 says:

4am here. NOT SLEEPING TONIGHT.

That link is definetly NSFL

• PodX140 says:

Bahz, your profile pic makes you seem so friendly, then you show up with this. Why!?!?

Seriously though, I think I may never look at nintendo or mario the same. Officially reached more disturbing levels then playing majora’s mask at age 7.

9. Tiax says:

“Game in which you create the end cinematic. Then you work your way from the start of the game to make a perfect connection into that ending.”

F*** me, that’s actually super-clever !

10. GiantRaven says:

How will the games be made available? Will they be available? Will they cost anything?

• Jad says:

According to the FAQ, teams can send their executable into Molyjam 2012 to be made available after the jam is done (for free).

Not sure how they will be distributed, but Patrick Klepek said on a recent Bombcast that a just putting out a torrent would be a possible method.

11. Premium User Badge LMichet says:

I am participating in Molyjam at the Oakland site. I’m here right now, actually. Things are already pretty interesting!

• RakeShark says:

Oakland? Well I guess an armpit city constantly consumed by wildfires and Raiders riots could be interesting…

12. brulleks says:

Great. Now I’m going to have ‘What would Brian Boytano do?’ going round my head all day.

13. Tei says:

Wen I die, all my fortune will go to the next person that make a Magic Carpet game.

14. buzzmong says:

Is anyone sure it’s not Molyneux parodying himself? It would be fitting.

• AtomicB says:

I’m certain it’s not him parodying himself. I used to work with the guy at my previous company (I forget his name though).

• v21 says:

Streamline? So many awesome devs I know hated working there…

• AtomicB says:

We were both briefly at frontier developments. He most likely remembers me as well as I do him!

15. v21 says:

16. ThaneSolus says:

dungeon keeper sequel, proper syndicat, black white, populus, AND NOT FOR CONSOLES, developed for PC, and then maybe ported to that horrible platforms.

Also a nice Fable for PC would be awesome too.

17. nobody says:

Oh, I ended up making something for this: These Automatic Arms. Maybe you would like to play it? (30.5 MB, Windows only, top-down, action-y, punk/scratchware-ish.)