Diablo 3: When I’m Hunting Demons

By Alec Meer on April 3rd, 2012 at 9:39 am.

“Survival depends on striking a balance between hatred and discipline” is, by a strange coincidence, RPS’ mantra. Only without the discipline. So we’re a little galled to discover that Diablo III’s Demon Hunter has the same outlook on life. Here’s a look at what an armed and fully operational Demon Hunter can get up to. She seems to be quite the whirlwind of destruction in the right hands, with a brutal mix of dark magicks and explodey techology.

I’m in a funny place with Diablo III. I will absolutely be playing it on Day One, presuming Blizzard don’t send their enforcers to my house to stop me, and I’m quite sure I’ll be staring at the download progress bar with some excitement for far too many hours, but at the same time I can recall very little of my time in the beta. I had a good time, but it didn’t leave an impression. Hopefully that’s just a consequence of playing such a small section of the game.

Anyway, demons and the hunting thereof, with a narration that sounds a little Starship Troopers:

This might well be the class for me. I do like a nice turret.

Now, can someone adapt the entire lyrics of this legendary song to be relevant to hunting demons, please?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Swanny says:

In before someone brings up Torchlight 2….

• undu says:

Path of Exile!

• Velvetmeds says:

Torch who?

D3 > Grim Dawn > toilet paper > PoE = Torch2

Disclaimer: my opinion

• Gilead says:

Wow, you think Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, a piece of toilet paper and Path of Exile *combined* are equal to Torchlight 2?

I’m looking forward to Torchlight 2 myself, but you’ve taken it to the next level. Still, I respect your opinion.

• NathanH says:

I’m not entirely sure, but I think he is defining Torchlight 2 to be equal to the value of the logical statement D3 > Grim Dawn > toilet paper > PoE.

• adammtlx says:

In which case, Torchlight 2 = false.

TORCHLIGHT 2 IS A LIE.

• Syra says:

The logic seems pretty obvious to me, I guess you need to know maths?

• kevinzana says:

Left side of assignment operator must be variable or property.

• elnalter says:

Okay so he failed out of pre-algebra, but his opinion is still valid. Right guys?

Anthile says:

Wait, don’t all the playable folks in Diablo hunt demons?

Skeletor68 says:

No, I think one of them is a physician for witches.

Not quite sure how that will work out for him. If he wears a red cross symbol will the demons still attack?

• pkt-zer0 says:

But what if you could TALK to the demons?

Skeletor68 says:

Bioware do Diablo?

Paragon option: Give Bishibosh a hug.

Renegade option: ‘Stay a while and lis… *Punch*

• gschmidl says:

Oh man, that’d be great, like the dialog-interrupting options in Asura’s Wrath.

[A] Shut shopkeeper up.

• noerartnoe says:

Sooo… D3 meets ME meets Megaten ?

Hmmm…actually, that sounds like something I might like to play.

• AlexanderMangel says:

optional DLC class called ‘psychiatrist’

3. luckystriker says:

Explodey, yes…but not as explodey asthe WD’s exploding frogs.

4. Torn says:

For the astute observers – massive spoiler quest objective at 1:40.

5. pkt-zer0 says:

Isn’t it a bit weird that Diablo 3 supposedly doesn’t have Diablo himself in it? You’re going to kill the rest of the Big Evil Demons (Azmodan and Belial, I think?), and that’s your quest done.

…so, cliffhanger ending that somehow brings them back in the expansion, or somesuch?

• MrMud says:

Where did you get that information from?

!!!SPOILERS!!!
      The current running theory is that diablo will take Leah as his host and turn her into Sheablo (look at those hips on the diablo artwork and tell me that is not a female version of diablo).
      I would be shocked if Sheablo is not the end boss of D3.

• pkt-zer0 says:

From one of the BlizzCon lore panels, with Chris Metzen and Leonard Boyarsky. IIRC, they said that that’s the two big baddies you’d get in D3, since that’s the last of them. And then… who knows what? Mystery!

But yeah, Leah seems rather obviously added in just so she can tragically die at the end or something.

• deke913 says:

Leah is actually pretty stupid. She sees her uncle knocked into hell by a meteor and demons and undead attacking the town she is in, and yet plays the part of the skeptic later and jumps all over Deckard for being stupid enough to believe in the horadric texts.

I wanted to kill her myself. So yeah…shes doomed.

• Soon says:

I like to think Tyrael has orchestrated the whole thing from the start. But I’m not overly familiar with the lore. I’ll get to see on youtube.

• Syra says:

Diablo is in it, he is the end boss. They more or less said it a while ago. Also they released loads of artwork for the new diablo’s look.

• Swanny says:

My best guess is that Deckard Kain is getting it this time. He’s got a replacement in Leah. I think it would be cool if Kain were the some demon like the Lord of Chaos, everywhere he goes the end times follow.

• Necroscope says:

Diablo is in the game. Check out the GDC 2012 talk about the art of Diablo 3 Christian Lichter shows the evolution of their designs for him

6. Godwhacker says:

Bit confused about the beta myself. It’s definitely very good, just a bit… dull. It might just be because it’s the very easy end of the game and the loot lottery doesn’t have time to get it’s hooks in, but it still seems far more like a violent spreadsheet interface than the previous two.

Also the voice acting of the companion you pick up is dire.

• Svant says:

Ontop of his bad voice acting the latest patch also made him completly and utterly useless. He deals less than 10% of your damage.

• MrMud says:

Not sure if I agree with D3 being more of a spreadsheet than D2 (because there is more maths involved with the skill trees in D2). I would also say that the lack of excitement in the beta stems from the lower level of challenge.

I was able to get into the two “secret” areas of the beta when they were discovered a few weeks ago (before the loophole was closed in a day). And this was a lot more challenging for my lvl 8 wizard and subsequently a lot more fun.

• Velvetmeds says:

I wouldn’t be too worried about the difficulty, about ~80% of the beta is basically the game’s tutorial.. And you can always play it on hardcore to make things feel more dangerous, seeing as how you can die from overconfidence lmao

• Moni says:

I’m cautiously optimistic. I think the pace that you get skills in the beta is deliberately slow, being basically a tutorial. From the looks of the the skill trees on the official site, it’ll probably get much more interesting later in the game.

• Necroscope says:

I’ve played through once as a Wizard and it is grim dark with bright and rather brilliant pyrotechnics. Got a great sensation of power from most of the abilties. Very satisfying! Easy to see that they’ve crafted this game to the usual Blizzard seal of game play polish. As an intro to a game, it’s perfectly ok.

Tom De Roeck says:

attack of the breast monster again.

• Askeladd says:

Run! and try not to get eaten by it! … Oh, wait

• deke913 says:

Run toward it… with hands at ten and two.

• frypiggy says:

Considering it’s a monster, I doubt it would be 10 and 2… more like 7:30 and 4:30… ew.

8. Milky1985 says:

Does the demon hunter have an immunity to the server crapping itself when you get into a fight, causing the game to basically freeze up while you mash the potion key hoping the command gets through the lag/freeze/wierd behaviour

But then the server wakes up and your dead cause the zombies have nibbled at your toes for the last 30 seconds.

(I always seem to break things :P)

• Necroscope says:

Yes. I experienced game stuttering late last night which made the game almost unplayable at times. This morning though the game ran smooth as butter. I really hope there aren’t those stuttering issues at launch or I will be flipping desks.

• 2late2die says:

I’d say you need more than just hope. I suggest some sort of praying or a ritual involving pentagrams and some goat blood. Maybe sacrifice a small creature or something.

• Milky1985 says:

I hope they have no issues as well, otherwise they are goin to have support hell with people with hardcore characters.

In fact actually i hope they have MAJOR issues so they will stop the sodding always on thing that isn’t needed by anyone (except shareholders)

• MrMud says:

Blizzards stance are pretty firm regarding HC characters. No matter what happens they will not restore them. Even if blizzards server spaz out.

• Milky1985 says:

Doesn’t mean they won’t get support hell. People will still call (in my opinion if its based on a blizz server issue rightly so, but i know why they will have a no restore whatsoever policy) . I know this from working in support for various companies, even if its clearly written down they will still call.

It will cause support issues, its will cause stories 2 months from release (top player loses character cause of server crash), unless the servers are 100%.

• Screamer says:

“I’d say you need more than just hope”

With the servers going to be at its busiest at launch, and not just a few Beta players, I’d say they are going to have to pull off the best launch in history for “hope” to pay off

• Necroscope says:

Connection has been smooth each time today I’ve logged on for a session. No complaints here at all. Last night was a wobbler, looks like the storm has past. The desks are safe…for now.

9. LuNatic says:

Now I go killin’ demons, to earn an honest bob
    For a violent adventurer, it’s an interestin’ job
    Now it’s a job that just suits me
    A demon killer you would be
    If you could see what I can see
    When I’m killin’ demons

Zombie raisin’ witches dance
    In outfits that are mighty scant
    You’d be surprised at things they chant
    When I’m killin’ demons

In my profession I’ll work hard, But I’ll never stop
    I’ll grind these blinkin’ loot drops
    Till I get right to the top
    The chantin’ witch, she looks divine
    The zombie he is doin’ fine
    I’d rather have his job than mine
    When I’m killin’ demons

And that’s all I got :P

10. Marinetastic says:

“I’m quite sure I’ll be staring at the download progress bar with some excitement for far too many hours”
    You can do that right this moment, the downloads have been up since they announced the release date, you just can’t install the game yet.

Martel says:

Sweet, thanks for that link.

• Necroscope says:

Heh, I must’ve downloaded the client the moment blizz made it available. I tried to install…the look of desperation on my face would fetch tears!!!!

11. Bensam123 says:

“…but at the same time I can recall very little of my time in the beta.”

Describes my beta experience, as well and Blizzards general entourage of games since WC3, baring WotLK. Blizzard doesn’t seem to produce truely memorable games anymore; They’re too concerned with pissing off fanbois and producing something that doesn’t live up to their standards, which usually leads them around in a circle going back to what they’ve done before without really improving or innovating.

Take SC2 for instance. The best part of the game was the campaign, the CG, the little quirks and perks… the gameplay felt wholly out of place being paired with it. You go from epic dialogue of the battle to come to a top down barely 3D battlefield.

• Moraven says:

Try the Diablo 3 campaign first. Maybe you will like it as much as the SC2 one.

This is a Beta, not a demo or trial to sell you on to like the game. It is to test game systems and find bugs.

12. MiniMatt says:

I know this has been done to death already, but just wanted to restate to any Blizz beancounters reading their latest bit of press coverage that I for one pretty much lost all interest in D3 when it became clear that I wouldn’t be able to play in the airport, at the train station, at a forces base in the middle of nowhere, or when you shut the servers down. Or when I couldn’t pause to go for a wee. Or answer the door.

I appreciate anti cheating measures in an online game. I just don’t see why that should affect my single player experience so negatively.

What would have likely been a day one purchase is now a never purchase. Plenty of others in the hack/slash’n’loot arena who will be getting my cash instead.

• MrMud says:

Your first arguments are all valid and understandable. I would argue that if you are obsessive enough about the game that you need to play it on airports or train stations that you could enjoy the game enough while not being at those locations.

But thats a minor point, however lets all stop propagating the untruth that you can’t pause D3. Because you can. It was added in a beta patch a few months back.

• Malk_Content says:

Its not so much obsessing over a game that you have to play at those locations, its being unable to play at locations that a) the style of game should be perfect for and b) you often have a variable amount of time to stay at.

• MiniMatt says:

Fair play, I wasn’t aware of the added pause feature so I’m happy to concede that one.

You’ll forgive me if I feel that personally the other points remain more than sufficient to keep my money in either my pocket or that of a D3 competitor.

• kud13 says:

I support this, and would like to add that Blizzard officially lost me as a customer the day they removed (with a patch) my ability to log into StarChraft II in offline mode other than a “guest”–on a copy I bought on release day, but haven’t had a chance to play for 3 months after going back to school.

I am a single-player gamer. Untill Blizzard once again starts to provide products that satisfy my preferences, they will not see any of my money.

• Screamer says:

“I just don’t see why that should affect my single player experience so negatively.”

They don’t want you to play offline, they want you online and in the action house, the thing the game was designed around…..

• f1x says:

indeed, the game its been always marketed as an “online” game, without fees

13. Mordsung says:

I cannot, as a responsible PC gaming consumer, continue to support anything related to Activision and their generally anti-gamer policies.

D3 also does unfortunately look like it’s been dumbed down significantly.

• Unaco says:

Surely, Anti-Gamer policies wouldn’t involve spending several years and millions of $’s developing a video game. Would it? If they want to get rid of Gamers, they’re doing it wrong.

• Mordsung says:

Is a wolf pro-sheep? They need sheep, they have developed evolutionary instincts that generally prevent them over-eating their local prey population, but could you consider them pro-sheep just because they don’t actively try to completely wipe them out?

Activision’s relationship with PC gamers is quickly resembling a predator-prey relationship, except they’re eating our dollars instead of our flesh.

• Unaco says:

“Is a wolf pro-sheep?”

Not the point. The question should be, are Wolves anti-sheep. Why turn it round and bring in the ‘pro’ arguments? Also, completely pointless because Activision and Gamers are not Wolves and Sheep.

If Activision were Anti-Gamers, they wouldn’t be making video games for those Gamers to play.

• Mordsung says:

Is a wolf anti-sheep?

Well yeah, they sort of murder them and devour their flesh for sustenance. The only thing preventing them from sheep genocide is natural instincts, not any sort of decision making or morality.

Replace “murder” with “dupe” (for example, they said they’d put dedicated servers in MW3, which they did… but you can’t level up and unlock anything on a dedicated server, so you MUST play matchmaking to progress in MP. Bait and switch) and replace “flesh” with “money”.

And instead of being stopped by instincts, they’re stopped by the few laws and protections that prevent Activision from just outright robbing us blind.

• TsunamiWombat says:

As a Wolf American, I assure you I am 100% pro sweet delicious sheep. I invest financially in many sheep charities, and volunteer time down at the YMCBaaaaaaaa

• SkittleDiddler says:

Analogies, do you understand them?

• CptPlanet says:

Please, tell me how I’m completely irresponsible for buying a Diablo 3 collectors edition…

• Mordsung says:

Because Activision consistently screws over PC gamers by either not providing industry standard PC features, or providing them at sub-par service levels, and even going so far as to shut down fan-made improvements to their own server systems for games that they no longer support.

And then Blizzard, a company that has lost many of the people that created the games we all love, generally tries to cash in on created games and content that relies more on nostalgic desire that true innovation of gameplay.

My only recourse is to make a statement with my money. I dislike their business practices and therefore it would be irresponsible of me to provide them money for continuing these business practices.

• CptPlanet says:

“I dislike their business practices” that is nonsense. You either like what you get for your money or you don’t. They don’t disassemble people and with their blood make these games. For the PC arguement, Diablo 3 is a pc game first and foremost, as has been anything Blizzard creates which is why they haven’t bothered with the consoles yet. Secondly, most cod games allow excessive modding on PC, I would love to hear what fan-made improvements you are talking about here.

Blizzard might have lost a few people (no more than a handful obviously) but Diablo 3 is the successor to Diablo and no matter what way you look at it, it will have that same quality that a company as big as Blizzard carries. They don’t try to “cash in”, they have been working on Diablo 3 for many many years and put in invaluable time and money so Diablo fans can enjoy one more game.

• Mordsung says:

We obviously have very different ideas on quality and acceptable business practices. Blizzard hasn’t released anything I truly enjoyed since vanilla WoW. That combined with their business practices are why I won’t be giving them money anymore.

The original WoW devs now work for Arenanet, the original Diablo boys left Blizzard a long time ago. What’s left is a group of people that haven’t made a game I enjoy. The people who made the games I enjoy no longer work there.

I’m still kicking myself for 60 bucks wasted on Starcraft 2, a game I got maybe 10 hours of before uninstalling it. I won’t do the same with D3.

• CptPlanet says:

Only one ex Blizzard dev currently works for ArenaNet (Mike O’Brien). Again, you talk about business practices and giving no examples whatsoever, try giving some insight.

• Mordsung says:

Did you just gloss over the MW3 example? They said “Here, have dedicated servers PC gamers” so people bought it… only to find out you can’t progress on the dedicated servers.

Or how about shutting down the fan-created dedicated servers for MW2?

How about releasing Starcraft 1 with a graphics upgrade and charging 60 dollars for it?

Releasing D3 with “online only” DRM.

How about butchering their own lore on an expansion by expansion bases in WoW? Example? Sargaras was, originally, corrupted by the Eredar… now he was the one who corrupted the Eredar. Originally, Orcs grew about 3 times faster than humans (Grom Hellscream became leader of the Warsong clan at age 5, but now they say Orcs and Humans have nearly identical life spans.)

How about hiring an ex mouthy EQ player to design their raid content after their dev team ran off?

Splitting SC2 into three games instead of one game and two expansions.

Need I go on, really?

• f1x says:

To Morsung:
          I think you are mistaking activision policies with blizzard policies, even if they merged they are still different companies, the devil you are looking for is more likely Vivendi thant Activision
          As I mentioned somewhere, Blizzard, unlikely many other companies has yet to release day 1 DLC, or sell items to players that enhance their game over the others (they only sell cosmetics and merchandising), and also they have stayed true to the PC platform, so I dont know really what business practises you are refering too, is it the always online of Diablo 3 ? Well its basically Battle.net concept thats been around for quite a decade
          Regarding that Ex-EQ player turned designer, if you are talking about the famous XIII or whatever was his nickname he was already designing encounters in Vanilla (AQ40) and along TBC, the most beloved expansion so Im not sure he was actually so incompetent after all

• UncleLou says:

It hasn’t been dumbed down. Quite on the contrary, actually.

Of course we will have to wait for the final game and balancing before a definite statement is possible, but the tools/skills at a player’s disposal are quite a bit more complex than they ever were in Diablo 2.

• Mordsung says:

From what I’ve seen, and what I’ve played around with the skill tool, it definitely is not as complex as D2.

And D2 itself isn’t even nearly as complex as Path of Exile, which has 111 skill points at max level to be spread among an absolutely behemoth skill wheel.

Combined with the fact that even a few misspent points can make or break your build in “Merciless” difficulty, it’s a game that caters much more to those of us who enjoy endlessly fiddling with skill trees.

• derbefrier says:

People seem to think different equals dumbed down. Everything I have read says quite the opposite it just.seems the absence of talent points really confuses people and they jump to the conclusion that the game is some how dumbed down. It’s perfectly understandable to say you don’t like the system but it has been proven over and over that this new system allows for more flexibility amd expierimentation than the same old talent point system we see in most other arpgs

• Mordsung says:

No, I’m all for different. Path of Exile uses a very different system to old Diablo and other similar games, but it is a game with incredible depth.

D3’s system lacks subtlety. Every change is this massive huge change to the way the ability works.

A good system has both significant variation and lots of subtlety.

A good example is Pathfinder’s expansion of the feat system (Pathfinder is a PnP game in the vein of Dungeons and Dragons). There are feats that are huge changes to the way you play your character, and there are feats that add 1 damage here, 1 to hit there.

The combination of both these types of feats means that no two characters are going to be the same.

Blizzard’s D3 system,and WoW’s new MoP talent system (which are very similar to each other) looks like it is going to be a system that rewards cookie cutter builds. Some abilities are so synergistic that to not use them together would be stupid.

Going back to PoE, it has a skill wheel so large, and you get 111 skill points to distribute, that while cookie cutter builds will exist, there is a ludicrous amount of variation possible in PoE.

Not to mention that your melee characters can even equip caster spells, and a ranger (A Dex based class) could work towards going deep Strength or Intelligent on the skill wheel if they wanted to be different.

In D3, when you run into a Demon Hunter, you’re going to know generally what their toolbox consists of.

In PoE, you could run into a Strength Witch, who you expect to cast spells but instead beats you to death.

I’ll take 111 skill points over a small handful of gems to socket in abilities.

• Necroscope says:

I haven’t noticed anything dumb in the beta, nor dumbed down. Seems like an awesome game. After watching the 2011 blizzcon lore panel there’s enough complex subject matter to get involved with.serves as decent enough backdrop to me.

14. Moni says:

I quite like the look of the skill where… *LAG* *LAG* *LAG*… You have died.

15. InternetBatman says:

Seriously? Hatred and Discipline? The sad thing is whoever thought of that is probably proud of themselves. Also, she looks just like Sylvanas or any other dark Blizzard woman.

• Hoaxfish says:

That, along with “Shadow power” makes it all sound like an advert you get during children’s television for some new doll/action figure.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Welcome to the wonderful world of fantasy clichés! Diminishing returns since J.R.R. Tolkien.

16. Pharos says:

I seriously hope those grenades can do more than just decimate enemies.

• Qwentle says:

I agree Pharos. Grenades that kill only 1 in every 10 of the enemies they’re thrown at are very silly grenades indeed.

• Necroscope says:

The witchdoctor has some sexy grenades that spill spiders that attack on impact which are satisfying to observe..:)

17. BooleanBob says:

When I’m Hunting Demons 95 (obsc.)

18. DigitalSignalX says:

Windrunner from DOTA called. She wants her Shackleshot™ back. Think of something new please Blizzard.

19. Strangerator says:

What Diablo 3 is missing…

Light radius – None of those dungeons even looked close to dark enough. That was a big part of the atmosphere in the first couple games, not knowing if something terrible is lurking just beyond your field of vision.

Potions – As goofy as the potion thing was, it just doesn’t feel like Diablo without them. It was a resource you had to manage, sure. But it also gave you that periodic frantic feeling of being close to death followed by a surge of confidence as your potion kicked in (or utter terror when you ran out). Combat now, with the little health spheres, just seems like it will become quite monotonous. Potions could be overpowered and unbalancing, but it also allowed the monsters to be the same. Most bosses could ding off 90% of your health in one hit.

• CaptMyron says:

Strangerator: u should really check out Path of Exile – the darkness and relatively zoomed-in mode of the camera currently (the devs say it’ll be zoomable in the final product) in dungeons was awesome. Scary stuff – you could see baddies wriggling around in the darkness just before they swarmed you. The potion management system is very interesting – you could various sizes of mana and health potion bottles and you’re limited to five at one time. As you kill stuff, they refill – but you have to kill stuff to make them refill. If you’re looking for that frantic feeling Path of Exile has it for me. And NO I don’t work for Grinding Gear Games :)

• Necroscope says:

The opening certainly seems grim dark enough. There’s no pitch darkness but it’s got a grimy gothic horror vibe I’m satisfied with…just wish 15th may was sooner…:)

20. CaptMyron says:

I played THE CRAP out of Path of Exile over the weekend and I’m pretty impressed with it – reminded me a lot of Diablo 1 in atmosphere and the character development system was very interesting. Admittedly I have not played the D3 beta (but it is in a state of catlike readiness on my hard drive), but a guy who has was watching me play PoE and was also pretty impressed. According to their website Grinding Gear Games is going to be giving away beta keys soon to people who “microtransact” with them – I’ll definitely be taking part.

• Mordsung says:

I was also incredibly impressed with Path of Exile, in both the gameplay and atmosphere areas. My favourite part of Diablo 1 was the first boss, the Butcher, and his room of meat. This was a level of brutality not often seen in games at the time, and not often seen now. We get violence, we get blood, but we rarely get real meaty gore.

So I boot up Path of Exile, I’m walking along the beach thudding zombies in the head with my hunk of wood, and I see it…

Laying there in the sand, a sickly colour of blue-white…

I walk my character over to it, and I exclaim “No way. Game companies aren’t that brutal anymore… no way.”

I stare at the object for longer, trying to figure out what else it could be… nothing else fits.

Yes, below my character was the bloated, dead, waterlogged corpse of an infant.

All the internets go to Grinding Gear Games for that one. Finally, brutality in a game that warrants it.

• CaptMyron says:

Mordsung, did you get as far as the Prison and battle Brutus the Warden – yeah it was a shameless D1 ripoff, but man did it bring back memories :)

• Jorenm says:

I tried Path of Exile but found it to be too bland and boring for me to want to play more than an hour. The zones are just big and colorless with a heavy scattering of samy enemies everywhere. D3 on the other hand I found instantly caught my interest.

• f1x says:

I’ve played the Path of Exile beta, and its certainly a very promising game, indeed that butcher scene on diablo1 was fantastic and really brought chills to my spine back then
      I would like personally, the camera to be not so close to the characther… because yes it gives a more opresing sensation but also kills a bit the sense of strategy regarding packs of mobs, specially if you play a ranged class
      the only thing that bothers me about PoE is the F2P system, aslong as its not to Pay2Win it will be fine, I mean of course the game is free so they have to finance it with microtransactions, but still its funny how people find anything microtransaction related to D3/Blizzard awful, but then for PoE its no problem, actually PoE its also “always online” and that also seems not to be a problem apparently

21. Shortwave says:

I went through this strange time in my life when I used to hitch hike and busk a lot.
    I used to sing that song wherever I went man! I can’t believe you referenced this classic, haha.
    I tip my hat to you good sir. You are the awesome.

Sorry, what about a game?
    /me dances around to Ukelele

22. TreeBeard says:

I don’t know what it is that makes people who aren’t supporting a game feel the need to pipe up and derail the comments with “Well I won’t be buying X from Y because Z!” … That’s honestly your prerogative, and its great that you are standing on principle and not putting money toward something you do not support, but honestly – I don’t need to know. At least not every single time a Diablo post appears.

As someone who has played the beta and has yet to have fallen foul of the way the online authentication is implemented: everyone is a cynic. The game is certainly not *built* around its auction house, as some have suggested here. Honestly, there are bigger problems in life than a game requiring my (always on anyway) internet connection. If you fall under the category of people who would be affected by this requirement (and call me weary but I feel a lot of the complaining might be coming from would-be pirates masquerading as indignant customers) then I’m sorry that circumstances are such that you might not enjoy Diablo 3 to its fullest, but see my first paragraph.

The way games are developed and played, and the expectations of both aspects are changing. I think I’ll have a better, less stressful time if I just accept that, instead of spitefully playing another, similar, torchlit title while looking over the shoulders of other people playing D3 and grumbling about it.

(and before anyone suggests I’m the sort to throw my money around without considering the consequences of who I’m supporting – this isn’t true. I avoid things I don’t agree with, such as L.A Noire after the horror stories involving that developer’s work ethic. But needing an internet connection? I think I’ll live.)

• Mordsung says:

We, as gamers, gain nothing for defending business practices we don’t agree with. You also gain nothing, as a consumer, for defending those business practices when you agree with them.

Negative opinions expressed often lead to positive change.

Positive opinions lead to nothing.

You have everything to gain by supporting the expression of deeply negative comments about a game in pre-release.

What’s going to happen if you defend them? Nothing.

What’s going to happen if you don’t defend them and the negative comments become the only thing they see? They may remove the online only component, which is a positive thing for everyone. They may start having less shady business practices, which again is positive for everyone.

Never pat a company on the back, you gain nothing for doing so.

All the complaining about D3 will either A) accomplish nothing or B) improve the experience for everyone.

Our bashing of Blizzard is not going to suddenly make D3 worse.

• kud13 says:

I agree the ways games are developing and are being played are changing–and not always for the benefit of the consumers.

I don’t see “always on” as a positive change. It restricts my ability to control the product I pay money for (the fact that I hate the concept of “buying a license” is beyond the scope of present discussion).
      As a consumer, there is a finite ways of communicating my dissatisfaction to the developers. Commenting in places where the developers may be likely to see it is one of them.

23. coroner54 says:

Reading these comments make me realize that I’m not the only one that felt that SC2 was a major disappointment and pretty much was the proof that they don’t care about the players anymore. (bnet2.0, popularity etc..)

We should start referring to anything post wc3-wow as blizzard 2.0….

24. RegisteredUser says:

No, no and no!

You are supposed to be restricting any commentary and news on this one solely to the DRM issue until that is resolved, not pander to the marketing of the game.

• f1x says:

So you are saying anything about Diablo 3 should be censored because you dont like the always online thing (which is not the same as DRM let me tell you)
      What else should we censor? lets burn some books maybe?

25. Melf_Himself says: