Ear is Ten Mins of Epic Mickey 2: The Power Of Two

By Craig Pearson on April 5th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

Copyright, or something
Time traveling dimension hoppers from a universe of electrical storms and VHS recorders have unearthed footage Warren Spector’s next game, Epic Mickey 2: The Power Of Two and brought it into our… sorry? It’s Wii footage? Oh, that explains it. I’m usually not snobbish, and I’m sure Youtube’s compression doesn’t do the Wii any favours, but jagged edges and about four colours really don’t show the multiplatform platformer off in the best light. With that warning in mind, try and look past it and into the really lovely art design in the platform sections, and the lovely flat art in the third-person sections. I did make an ‘aww’ when Mickey and whatever the hell the other thing is teamed-up with Mickey as a helicopter. I’m a sap for cute co-op.

There’s none of the singing that Spector’s promised is part of the game, but 7m and 19 seconds in Mickey travels to Fantasia. Even I’m not cynical enough to not enjoy seeing the mop carrying the buckets, but it’s probably the only classic Disney moment I can stand now.

Want it? It’s not Autumn yet, so you cannot have.

, , , .

1. db1331 says:

The 3DS version of the game actually looks really cool. It’s a 2D side scroller that sees Mickey basically going through some of the old SNES and Genesis Disney games. Looking at the screens kind of reminded me of Abobo’s Big Adventure.

2. zeekthegeek says:

Wasn’t this supposed to be a Musical? I wanted singing, damnit.

Also that narrator guy sounded pretty good – kind of Christopher Lee. Was it Christopher Lee? If it was, Day 1 purchase.

• Bhazor says:

For a musical that whole Fantasia bit was rubbish. I mean it’s Fantasia and nothing was moving in time with the music. How do you miss an oportunity like that?

• woodsey says:

As someone who found Fantasia traumatising as a child, I can firmly stand behind every and any decision to have the game be nothing like it.

It used to scare the crap out of me.

3. Bhazor says:

Mickey is sounding more and more like Zoidberg.

4. Nic Clapper says:

Not sure if you were joking with the 4 color thing or not cause Wii does indeed have jaggies — but its got 32 bit color depth so if there -is- an issue with colors it’ll more then likely be present on the PC version as the chosen palette would’ve been a design decision, not a hardware limitation.

5. mechabuddha says:

The high pitched grunts Mickey makes when he jumps are ear grating. Every single time.

• arccos says:

It does get pretty annoying. I think part of the problem is that there are two characters making them. And it’s an irritating sound.

6. C418 says:

I gotta be honest. This seems very very boring.

• Crius says:

Not only boring Sir, but even with crappy controls and really already-seen gameplay.

Oh, i forgot. I hate mickey

• Melf_Himself says:

Why are we reading about Wii games for children on RPS. Rock, Paper, Spam?

7. SwedishChef says:

Does anyone else think the main pic makes it look like Mickey has a ghostly penis?

8. JuJuCam says:

Not even Banjo Kazooie is this Banjo Kazooie-esque anymore…

Jackablade says:

Looks a bit early to be showing to the public – Frame rate issues. Camera problems. Unfinished looking lighting. Showing off their game this early in development is only going to turn off people from what is likely to be a fun and pretty little game.

The Sombrero Kid says:

sigh, I tried to love epic mickey but it was rubbish & this doesn’t look like they learned anything from it, i’ve still got my fingers crossed though.

11. hosndosn says:

I’m trying to keep an open mind but… this is supposed to sell us on Epic Mickey (2)?

I’m happy for Warren Spector fulfilling some lifelong dream of working with the Mickey Mouse franchise and this might be the best possible game to come out of that. But come on, this is the guy who invented Thief and Deus Ex!

Are they keeping him locked up at Disney, now? I can see how he wanted to do Epic Mickey 1 and fought hard for that game to see the light of day, but I find it a little harder to believe him being genuinely excited about working on Epic Mickey 2… and if that sells, Epic Mickey 3… and, and, and… Warren, blink twice if they’re holding you hostage!