Head-To-Head With 30 Mins Of Showdown Effect Footage

By Craig Pearson on April 5th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Yay, bangy things!
Not enough things are inspired by 1980s action movies. And I write that knowing a quite a lot of things actually inspired by that apex of stupidity, and I should probably shut up, but I only have one day as a regular updater left on RPS and I’m demob happy. So I’m demanding more things that explode, more quips about death, and rocket launchers for everyone. Luckily I have a game directly inspired by all those things in my sights: The Showdown Effect. Magicka developers Arrowhead Games have taken everything I like in the world and dragged the camera out and to the side, so it’s viewed from a side on perspective. This revolutionary positioning of the camera makes everything easier to see. Proof of this can be found in the half-hour demonstration that Paradox hosted and have now uploaded to the internet. It’s probably too long to just sit and stare at, so the inclusion of the developer commentary and the Q&A make are welcome.

While it’s a bit lo-fi, I like Paradox’s new thing of showing games off over live streams. It’s refreshing to see a company willing to stand by its games enough to live demo alpha code to the wilds of the internet.

Q4 2012 says the release date sky writer.

, , , .

1. Phantoon says:

Arrowhead needs to update their website.

• Srekel says:

Without spoiling too much, I can tell you that they are very much thinking about it and that it is on its way.

Also, I would just like to hi-jack the top/first comment and let you know that the video isn’t alpha footage, it’s pre-alpha. (Meaning that it will look and play even better soon :) )

2. carn1x says:

Damn I just watched this, and your mentioned of 30 minutes contrasted heavily with my memory of this clips 28min-ish running time. Sadface.

3. Was Neurotic says:

Aye Craig, what’s with the one day left thing? Are you still writing for PCG too? I haven’t had a copy since 2009, so I don’t know. :(

4. Blackcompany says:

Why can nights only be dark in indie games? Is it so tripe A titles don’t inconvenience casual gamers too awfully much? I absolutely love the way lights make a difference in this preview. How, you know, the areas in between the lights are dark.

5. Turbobutts says:

Spiritual successor to Soldat minus the jetpack shoes? I am extremely okay with this, Arrowhead. Looking good so far. Some brighter levels might be nice so that you can actually play the game in daylight hours, too.

• PJMendes says:

Also reminds me of Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker for the Mega Drive, for some reason

6. LionsPhil says:

Wilhelm scream!

Aww. Side-scrolling platformer multiplayer-deathmatch-only. How disappointing after Magicka.

Wisq says:

Seriously hope they keep that scream for the final build.

It certainly fits the genre / inspiration.

Lim-Dul says:

Any one remember Hunter Hunted? Reminds me very much of this and had vs multiplayer too.

• PJMendes says:

8. Easy says:

It looks like it’ll be a lot of fun, and I actually like the setting and 80′s movie theme. Die Hard XI: Die Super Very Hard, OK.

9. DOLBYdigital says:

Wow really like the animation and art style. The gameplay reminds me of soldat and ragnark although I would love a players vs environment co-op mode with the game. I would also love to see a co-op wave survival game mode like killing floor. Keeping my eyes on this one

10. genius_starship says:

Imagine this game with a single player and coop campaign in which you dispatch countless AI enemies in style, sort of like a 2D, over-the-top Max Payne…

Multiplayer deathmatch is still cool, but was hoping for a little more.

• mondomau says:

Yeah, I was just getting excited until he said MP only, then I turned it off. Endless boxed in deathmatches are not for me, no matter how much I like the style.
      Oh well.

• RizziSmoov says:

Singleplayer may provide a one-man-army type of cinematic experience but I’m guessing they’re going for a equally-capable-but-who’s-the-most-skillful final battle type of cinematic experience.

11. judithwalton says:

I will definitely recommend this to all my friends. I haven’t come across a site that is better than it.

professional logo design