Pay Up: King’s Bounty Games Released On Mac

By Adam Smith on April 5th, 2012 at 2:30 pm.

Now arriving at Apple Airport, flight KB1999.

For non-Mac folk who care not about this news, the first footage from Warriors of the North, next in the King’s Bounty series, is below. As for me, I had no idea the Macficionados among our readership had been deprived of the strategic silliness that is the rebooted King’s Bounty series for so long. Back in 1990, when the original game graced the never-bettered DOS, it was also available on the Apple II, although the history of our hobby being so inexact at time, I can’t be sure that release was simultaneous. A bit of research might help but that’s not what I’m here for. My task at present is to inform you that King’s Bounty: The Legend and King’s Bounty: Armored Princess are now available on Mac.

It sure does look like another King’s Bounty game, although I’m hoping it’s more like Legend than Armored Princess, which was more traditional in setting and lost some of the odd appeal of its predecessor.

Some scholars believe that Alec is playing The Legend right now, so charmed was he by its surreal take on the often grim and serious land of pointy-eared woodland folk that is the fantasy genre. It’s a game about which he wrote this – “Purchased a tiny castle that I carry around in my pocket. On demand, I can shrink to doll-size and wander around it.” To be fair, Alec has a vivid enough imagination that he told me that’s what he did last weekend as well, but in King’s Bounty it’s actually something that happened.

The Legend and Armored Princess are both available through the app store and through Steam.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Drake Sigar says:

Was just thinking of going back to this. It’s absurdly addictive.

2. Reefpirate says:

Is Mac the snooty PC or the hippie PC?

• pkt-zer0 says:

The term Kieron used for Mac was haircut-PC. Linux was beardy-PC.

• Eddy9000 says:

Living in Dalston I can confirm that macs are the “snooty hippie” PC.

• westyfield says:

As a physics student, I have to say that a Mac is a humanities student PC.

• devlocke says:

Hey! As a humanities student (I double-majored in English and History, dammit!), I resent my proudly useless education being besmirched by association with those “This is what the future looked like in 1970″ computers. Also, I think people who use Macs should wear jumpsuits. And I’m very sleep deprived at the moment, so that connection probably doesn’t make as much sense as it seems like it does.

• DrGonzo says:

They are both the same thing now. Essentially ex-hippie. They once cared about the world, but now they make up the apathetic middle-classes who don’t care about anything that doesn’t directly effect them, or isn’t sold in Waitrose.

• jrodman says:

My mouse and keyboard are plugged into Linux. I network-remote them to a mac laptop that I write software on. I reboot it to windows to play games.

Can someone advise me as to how i should style my head-hairs?

3. Grayvern says:

”now what I’m here for” not what I’m here for, surely.

4. Unaco says:

Absolutely charming set of games. If I could remember which DD service I got the Platinum Edition from, I might shove them on my Netbook.

5. squareking says:

Is Warriors of the North the browser-based one? Or is that a hoax? I’ll go ahead and watch the video now.

edit: Doesn’t look like it — awesome. Looks a lot like KB, though.

6. lordcooper says:

I thought RPS only covered PC stuff? Does this mean you’re going to start covering consoles too? Journey might be a nice place to start :)

7. Berzee says:

If anyone wants to play The Legend without the demonesses in their awkward non-clothing and stuff like that, here’s a mod wot I made which will almost certainly not utterly break your game, and which makes a few units invisible from their neck to their knees =P Indeed you might want to download it merely because it’s hilarious

I got burned out on The Legend because it’s SO LONG, hence no mods for the sequels. Someday?

And now there will be another? King’s Bounty, why must you make games so long that you are able to release them faster than I can beat them?

8. Fastkarate says:

Soooooo… seeing as how I already own these games on PC, am I gonna be able to download them on Steam for Mac? Because as of now that doesn’t seem to be the case, and I’d really like to, as I spent a lot of hours bootcamped on my Mac laptop playing Armored Princess (which was about the most graphics-intensive game it could run). It would be nice to run it natively, especially since I have some traveling coming up.

• Shuck says:

I just noticed that despite having previously bought the King’s Bounty: Platinum edition (part of my long list of not-yet-installed Steam games), all that’s showing up right now in my games list (in Mac Steam) is Crossworlds. I’m wondering if it’s being weird because they’re changing the status of the games right now to include Mac versions?

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

There’s nothing in the steam feed that suggests this is coming to steam. It will probably join the very long list of Mac games that are exclusive to the Apple Mac Store. Ugh.

• DrGonzo says:

In my experience, if you can only just run it in Windows it won’t run at all on OSX. Trying to use Steam in OSX has been a nightmare, eventually removed it and gave up on it.

9. mr.ioes says:

The title screams for being changed to something that tells us to expect footage of the next king’s bounty game. I nearly missed that video. Would have been a shame…

10. Was Neurotic says:

Hoorah, a new KB, I had no idea. Thanks, Game Information Blog Staffed By My Favourite Burned-Out Future Publishing Writers, you really made my d-d-d-d-day!

11. Kleppy says:

This series had so much potential… I played a crazy amount of the first game, then the second game came out and it ruined things for me. Basically, the game became a never-ending series of looking for the few battles you could win (i.e that weren’t marked “invincible” or “lethal”) through a bunch of islands, spending something like 10 to 15 minutes on each battle, then having to stock up on troops after each and every goddamn one. God forbid if you had a favourite set of troops from different islands (like, Stone Golems from Bolo and Paladins from Verona), because most often you wouldn’t have enough cash to afford having some good troops in reserve.

Basically, it became a fucking slog, which is weird since the first game was pretty free of those problems. I mean you had to trek back in that game, which was at times even more annoying especially if you were using demons – have fun running through those mines and through the portal to Demonis – but at least you didn’t have to do it after EVERY SINGLE BATTLE. It totally soured me on the series, sadly.

• mckertis says:

“at least you didn’t have to do it after EVERY SINGLE BATTLE.”

Oh yes you did. Unless you were a mage. Then all those “invincible” and “lethal” tags dont mean anything useful anymore, and you can play without losing a single troop. But as a warrior – yes, you had to.

“have fun running through those mines and through the portal to Demonis”

I had great trouble evading stuff, so i just enabled dev-mode and Ctrl-Q’d on the map. Saves tons of brain cells. Especially considering how atrociously long loading times get the longer you are playing.

• cybrbeast says:

No you didn’t have to get new troops after each battle. There’s a little arrow above your troop bar, if you click it you see two spaces for reserve troops. You can fill these up with as many troops as you like. So fill them up with your tank troops and if you only lose troops of that type in battle you can replenish them without going back to troops sale points.

12. Tokamak says:

I thought these guys said the next King’s Bounty game was going to an MMO? Or am I confusing them with someone else?

13. ratbum says:

It’s nice to see news about games going onto Mac. I have Windows installed, but I much prefer gaming on Mac OS.

14. Gurraymold says:

Hm, doesn’t seem like they’ve done anything with the game engine.
    I’m not that much of a graphics whore, but maybe they could at least beef up the spell visuals, or something.
    I mean, if they just wanted to make an expansion they should have released it sooner!

Comment on this story