Winter Is Running – Aliens: Colonial Marines

By Adam Smith on April 5th, 2012 at 11:30 am.

'I'm not talking to you until you apologise for ruining dinner with my parents.'

Gametrailers, who insist on putting trailers before their trailers, have some footage from Aliens: Colonial Marines, as seen at PAX 2012. Dubbed ‘First Contact’, it shows a series of moments in the life of Winter, a marine: he slips on blood, sneaks through a mossy chamber, barely manages to mind the celestial gap and sees a shadowy alien or two. I’ve got some theories about him, which follow the video below.

First off, he has a very limited attention span which I can’t imagine is going to hold him in good stead when there are vents to be blocked and collapsing interstellar vessels to flee from. Everytime he blinks he seems to lose a few minutes, perhaps because his training has so desensitised him to the stress of combat and actual existence that he somnambulates through life, including the firefights unless they are particularly intense and involve species he’s never encountered before. Kill the first few aliens and there’s the sound of a yawn and then the credit sequence, during which Winter plays cards with his surviving buddies, yawns again and is then seen in a nursing home for the elderly.

Second, I don’t think he fully understands how to use his gear. Someone at training camp has clearly given the man a helmet with some sort of tactical visor display on it. Poor Winter has pressed the zoom button and doesn’t know how to undo it, so his peripheral vision is somewhat compromised and his gun looks absolutely massive. Either that or he is constantly squinting, brow furrowed, because some joker at marine academy gave him a giant unwieldy gun and he’s under a lot of strain trying to carry the thing.

Last but not least, that’s some heroic upper body strength at the end there. That supports the giant gun theory actually. Winter has the mightiest arms in the universe, the attention span of a toasted baguette and a helmet that’s on the fritz. He’ll go far.

Here are some more marines fighting some aliens in multiplayer.

Is it just me or do the pulse rifles sound like they were recorded while a Formula One race was occurring in the background?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Caiman says:

Call of Duty: Aliens?

• Skydancer says:

Indeed… Teammates that go AHEAD of you. Bad! You should be the one savoring the sweet smell of aliens face first, not them.

And… I’ve never seen aliens so sleepy and slow, I mean continental drifting slow. This looks like a shooting gallery!

And… Multi million production and they recycle sound effects from common libraries? 1:20 that’s the same spark effect from Natural Selection and a million other games!

• Khemm says:

Pretty much every single arcade shooter these days follows the same design path
      - soldiers you don’t care about accompany you all the time and refuse to shut the hell up
      - “follow” soldier X 90% of the time or listen to some guy/gal on the radio telling you where to go every 5 seconds, as if that was necessary considering it’s impossible to get lost in levels which are nothing but straight hallways
      - explosiuns and “cinematic” moments around every corner
      - linear level design treating you like an absolute moron
      - fvcking ironsights which make it impossible to hit anything unless you hit a button and suddenly you can snipe everything from miles away, I mean, what’s the point? I can understand having ironsights in ArmA, but they’re pointless in games with the complexity of Doom and only slow the gameplay

• Prime says:

Transformers: War for Cybertron did most of this, sadly. “Press X to focus on THE AMAZING THING WE HAVE HAPPENING!”. It’s not good. :(

• Askeladd says:

Those “features” remove any reason to replay games. Only If they are really, really good. Its like such games try to hide the fact that they are shooter on rails.

2. Nick says:

They need to ditch the weird envelope effect on the pulse rifle sound =/

• Robslap says:

Nooooooo I absolutely love that sound! It’s perhaps one of the last unique things about the franchise.

• Syra says:

Yeah it’s annoying as hell. In the first video it sounds fine but in the multiplayer one it’s got some overlaying screechy quality.

• Moni says:

I wonder how they got the original sound. Is it just a sample or did they copy the foley technique?

If it’s the former, I imagine the sound doesn’t quite loop properly with continuous fire, so an envelope would mask it.

• slight says:

Sounds like an enveloped phaser but it should just be constant. Awful. A particular shame because as Robslap says, the /right/ sound is really key to the franchise. This is not the right sound :p

• subshell001 says:

Not really a phaser, but a comb filter. Both are related though as they are modulated delay lines and have a similar sound, but this is most definitely a comb filter on a white noise blast with a gun sound on top of it. Not very good sound design considering so many people are complaining about it, and it’s so easy to distinguish what it is made from. Also doesn’t match the original sound very well, which basically the whole goal for a sound design job like this. Most likely it isn’t done yet. Here’s hoping.

• subshell001 says:

And actually it’s not about being constant or not. The problem is that it is *too* constant. It has the same phase offset and rate every time. To truly remake the original sound you need a random LFO affecting the rate (it wobbles a bit), and the start offset needs to be randomized every time. They aren’t doing this in the new game. Again, hopefully this is just placeholder sound design.

• Nick says:

It looped fine in the original AVP game so I don’t see why they couldn’t get it right here.

• Azhrarn says:

Simple, they’re probably not even trying to get it right. :)
        It only has to sound sort of ok, because the mindless hordes that’ll be playing this mostly for the multiplayer couldn’t care less if the sound of their weapon was the right one or not.

Also, is it just me, or was this clip playing in slow motion, the aliens were moving as if they were encased in molasses, Winter should have been dead the first time he fought one of those 1-on-1 with reaction times that sluggish.

• Droopy The Dog says:

The multiplayer clip was worse for slo-mo aliens. When the marine has to reload and multiple times just turns around and outruns the aliens whilst he does so.

• mrosenki says:

Didn’t they sound like that in the movie (albeit with more “punch”)? The only sample I could find so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz0UkvGU2qE

• subshell001 says:

No, see my reply up above. It’s close but there are some minor technical details that are missing. it’s the minor details that make good sound design good – the sounds in the game are missing all such nuances.

3. Shazbut says:

“In my dreams the next game based on the franchise is Alien, singular, the first. Co-op survival horror with a single enemy and almost zero chance of actual survival.”

Exactly.

• Syra says:

MAKE IT SO

• Hoaxfish says:

My first thought is a rogue-like where you have to travel to a set point (maybe a waiting evac-ship), and along the way you are repeatedly hunted by the same monster until you either get killed, escape it (blocking its passage, hiding from it), or reach the destination.

• Thirith says:

While it sounds interesting in theory (and Alien is my favourite film in the series), I honestly don’t see how it would lend itself to interesting gameplay. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

• billyphuz says:

They totally did make an Alien game — for the Commodore 64. I played it as a kid and never “won,” though I did get some less-than-horrible endings. http://paulemozplaysagameaday.blogspot.com/2009/04/alien-commodore-64.html

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

The trick would be to make the alien very fast, very strong, and very resilient. The obvious example from games is that bossfight from Resident Evil 4 against the locust-man-thing in the tunnels. You can pour bullets into it and it just keeps coming, slashing out from the vents and shit as you run around waiting for the elevator. Make the protagonist less beefy than Leon, with little-to-no ammunition (to say nothing of the acid blood and potential regenerative abilities the alien could have), and set it in a relatively sandboxy gameworld (maybe a failing spaceship you have to run around to repair, a la deadspace), make the alien follow unpredictable patterns (so it might be really aggressive or barely there from one game to the next), and you’re good to go.

• ucfalumknight says:

Sounds like someone needs to start a Kickstarter! I’d say a billion jillion dollars. Now to be successful someone needs to get a once great Video Game designer on board. Is John Romero available?

• ucfalumknight says:

Sounds like someone needs to start a Kickstarter campaign! Let’s raise $900,000 dollars. We just need to find some once notable game designer who hasn’t done anything in a while. Is John Romero available?

• Neurook says:

I always thought a reskin of Amnesia: The Dark Descent would do the trick. Have the monster be the xenomorph and have the player run around the ship solving puzzles (technical issues, clearing paths, setting the self-destruct/turning it off again), interspersed with periods where you have to run like fuck or hide.

4. Baboonanza says:

Well, that looks shit.

• JoeFX69 says:

I’d go as far to say it looks fucking dreadful

• torchedEARTH says:

A huge disappointment.

• Drayk says:

Seconded.

I remember Alien versus predator 2. That game gave me the creeps in the marine campaign but this ? Aliens seems squeeshy, not much sens of danger…

• torchedEARTH says:

That’s it! You have made me realise what it is now. *ALL* Aliens games should have the player firing full clips while running BACKWARDS all the time. That is an Alien game.

• Drayk says:

Yeah, and being low on ammo all the time, and counting how many grenade you have left…

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s not Aliens if you’re not scared of the ceiling.

And the walls.

And the floors.

• Synesthesia says:

what, walking machines of death and regenerating life cant feel fear?

• bfandreas says:

It looks like a heavily scripted hall shooter with too many QTEs.
      Pass.

Why does everybody still pretend they make a movie? It’s like mid-nineties non-interactive FMVs again. Only rendered in 3D.

5. frenz0rz says:

If the multiplayer is anything like Left 4 Dead (except with welding doors and motion trackers), then I shall be very happy. Still, I was burned by AvP3, and so shall remain cautiously optimistic.

6. Archipelagos says:

A game based on Alien would be perfect but I don’t know of any studio that could pull it off without caving into the manshoot.

7. sunkillmoon says:

I saw a video of an interview with randy pitchford, he got me really excited! i for one can’t wait! Aliens!
    this is the first real alien game right? i didn’t miss something did i?

and

• Moni says:

I love the Randy Pitchforks, a genuinely enthusiastic person. He was excited about Duke Nukem Forever though, but also Borderlands.

8. Burky says:

wow, this actually looks worse then the last Alien game

9. Blackcompany says:

Do RPS writers have some sort of running contest for best Alt text, or picture captions?

Cause I’m pretty sure that if they did, this one would make the top 5. Of all time.

10. Pemptus says:

Bah, why are the aliens so slooow? Give me the ultra fast xenos from the first AvP!

• neolith says:

My thoughts exactly – you shouldn’t be able to run away from the aliens.

ALso the whole game looks… kinda stiff. Nowhere near the action in the AvP games. :(

• Volrath says:

Consoles duh.

• taione says:

It looks like the aliens are strolling up to shake your hand. They are no longer scary – they’re just targets for you to shoot at.

• Azhrarn says:

Was this clip playing in slow motion or something? Those aliens were moving as if they were encased in molasses, Winter should have been dead the first time he fought one of those 1-on-1 with reaction times that sluggish.

11. knofc says:

I wish they didn’t have team mates in it. One of the great things about the original was the intense feeling of being alone agains these ungodly creatures. Also, although the motion trackers here are more cannon, having the constrant background bip with the increasingly urgent Whoo-dink when something was getting near, made for great atmosphere.

• Prime says:

There looks to be a formidable amount of NPC scripting in it. Uncomfortably Call of Duty. I don’t want the game holding my hand throughout. That would suck, and ruin the experience.

12. Rob Lang says:

Single player would only be shit because the story has been told well enough already. As for multiplayer, I can’t see that Alien has much of a chance.

13. marcusfell says:

Darn it, neither video works for iPads.

Agreed with everyone else. Why can’t more games just leave me alone?

14. Khemm says:

Compare this game to AvP 1 and 2… It’s so sluggish, so slow, weapons lack that sense of punch. I really miss the times when shooters were fast, dynamic, frantic, not linear as hell and your character moved really, really fast, movement felt responsive.

This… looks simply awful.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

I’m aware this makes me seem like i’m shouting about the “good old days” but SOME things about those days were good and this is one of them, I’m not saying get rid of call of duty, although i’m really not a fan myself, but can’t we have both?

15. Prime says:

I squeed a little in my pants when I saw the Sulaco (The motherf*cking SULACO!!!!) but I have deep, diquieting reservations about this being another very pretty but dumb rollercoaster ride. I’d rather have something I could ‘play’ than ‘experience’. Having said that I do love Aliens so will probably end up getting this…at some point.

16. CMaster says:

It looks fine. Like really, fine. But nothing remarkably enough to be worth caring about. The sort of thing we’d have lapped up in 2006, but now most veteran gamers have had their fill of scripted FPSes that aren’t truly outstanding.

Also, a lot of people are taking about AvP games here. Obviously, there’s value in the comparison, but this game is not intended to be a sequel, prequel, or anything to do really with the AvP games.

• Prime says:

No-one is saying this is a continuation of anything. Some people are simply comparing the known and beloved gameplay of those games to what we’re seeing here and, in most cases, finding it somewhat lacking.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

AVP games were always aliens with a predator boss fight in it, so it’s a logical comparison, except maybe that the avp games done this game and 2 others.

17. sneetch says:

Looks nice to me.

18. McDan says:

One thing annoys me, you’re meant to be just another marine, one of hundreds. And yet it’s always you that gets sent out alone or survives something no one else does. I accept it in other games because y’know it’s games, but if this is the alien franchise they would always send more than one marine. Just silly.

• Runs With Foxes says:

This game would be better if you were just one marine. But you’re not. You’ve got your MACHO BROS right there with you man, cracking some jokes and stompin some heads, and scripted to die at just the right moment for MAXIMUM EMOTIONAL IMPACT.

• Askeladd says:

Well, there will be not much emotional impact because friendships don’t form while strolling throught the dark with people that aren’t known to the player, with no time to explain anything to you that would make them your ‘friends’.

Dead Space did it much better in that regard. They tried to bind the player emotionally to his character throught the relationship he had with his girlfriend.
        Dead Space’s setting and story is much deeper.

19. The Sombrero Kid says:

How many times I have had to watch the old trailer for a game i’ve seen in blur-o-vision before getting to watch the new trailer for the same game in HD!?

20. iZen says:

I see they want to stick to the lore, but some of this stuff is very unusable for a game.
    I think devs should take some sort of freedom to accomodate the universe to today’s sci-fi visions.
    Using a 25 year old setting has its flaws.
    -For example, the motion tracker could be side-mounted on the gun (we have similar devices today already).
    This would have the player have MT in sight all the time, while not having to use a HUD. When using a pistol you could still make it the handheld device while simultaneously being able to shoot.

-The smartgun is probably the most retarded weapon for a shooter. Auto-aim? Come on. At least reduce the radius of the auto aim to that of a shotgun spread or so, but not around almost the entire screen. Where’s the fun in that? It’s been and will remain unused by me since AVP1.

-Multiplayer coop against aliens is what I longed for since AVP1 wich was the only game that had it.
    But its retarded running around an arena-like map in circles to shoot ever-respawning enemies until you die. Have people defend a bunker or other sort of compound while having aliens charge at them from all directions. The attack has to become more intense over time, but winning should also be possible (if hard). Have different difficulties and some adjustments and a few good maps to this and you will sell.
    A remote supply spot wich you have to run for when out of ammo forcing you to leave your defensive spot would add some salt to the soup. Easy as that.

-Remove or rework the retarded pulse rifle sound. Its some 80′s random sci-fi idea with no conclusive reason for it whatsoever.

Devs fail to do these simple stuff everybody longs for in every single game (except for AvP1, to a degree) and thats one of a few reasons they stay average.

• Askeladd says:

AFAIK the smartgun doens’t auto-aim but instead shoots homing bullets but the aiming must be done by the human that has enhanced vision throught IR-Tracking. A small computer would process the trajectory
      and program it into the bullet while it has been fired.

TLDR: Smartgun done wrong.

• hypercrisis says:

or simply have the motion tracker make sound anyway, i dont remember it being powered by direct eye contact

21. Armante says:

His name is Winter? As in.. Frost?

Pretty sure Frost was the first one to get it in Aliens..

• DrScuttles says:

I thought Frost was ironically incinerated by the first dude to get grabbed? I could be wrong, but either way he kicked that bucket like it was going out of fashion.

22. dee says:

But will it feature Charlize Theron doing soggy naked pushups?

23. Turkey says:

Nice production values.

24. Dunkass says:

I had hopes for this game, disappointing to see this just appears to treat xenomorphs like any other brainless cannon-fodder. I thought aliens were meant to silently stalk their prey through the infrastructure of the ship, gradually positioning themselves for a surprise attack and not just blindly scuttling along the floor straight into a hail of gunfire. In short, there’s too many of them and they seem to be willing to die far too easily. Also being able to jog away from a pursuing alien? Gun-butt melee attacks actually being effective? Urgh.

It’s a shame seeing as the environments look great and there does seem to be a decent atmosphere until the aliens actually show up.

• Hug_dealer says:

if you notice in aliens, they were perfectly happy to throw themselves away wastefully.

They eventually figured out an alternative method, but if you have watched any of the videos, the aliens use vents and things to their advantage.

• Werthead says:

This was always slightly illogical in ALIENS. There were only 150 aliens (they were limited by the number of hosts, and the population of the colony was less than 160, of course not counting Newt and anyone who was killed in the initial attack rather than cocoooned) and they hurled themselves against pulse rifles, sentry guns and grenade launchers with wild abandon. ALIEN suggested that they had an overriding urge to preserve the species (hence the whole emergency ‘turn hosts into eggs’ backup ability even ordinary warriors had). Those aliens protecting the Queen throwing themselves away to protect her makes sense, but the other aliens’ self-sacrifice seemed a bit odd.

25. aukondk says:

The sluggishness seems to be due to the obvious use of a console controller in this footage. The aliens need to be slow because there is no way you would hit them without a mouse if they were properly fast.

26. werix says:

I’m not seeing where all the “aliens are slow” comments are coming from. Compared perhaps to the AvP games, yeah a tad bit slow. But when working from the actual lore, the xenos haven’t always been methed-out speed demons. Actually, some of the most frightening instances from the whole film franchise came from the Alien/s being all slow and methodical. The vent surprise attack in Aliens, Ripley’s very close contact in Alien3, and the list goes on. They seemed rather fast enough.

What I’m concerned about is the initial selling point for me like 4 years ago when first announced was that the entire campaign was supposed to be co-op, and I haven’t seen that at play yet. The horde mode shown in the multiplayer is not quite what I’m looking for; I’ve got enough Horde mode games (Killing Floor and ME3).

It looks good graphically, and there is NO WAY it could be worse than AvP3.

• Turkey says:

I see what you’re saying with the slow tense moments in the movies, but I don’t see how that translates to this. From the footage the AI looks about as dumb as a bag of rocks, so I don’t think you’ll see them do anything remotely cunning unless it’s in a scripted sequence.

To be honest, though, I don’t really care if they move faster or start solving equations or whatever. The universe is so exploited and overdone. Especially in this format. There’s just nothing left to surprise or scare you.

The more I see of this, the more pissed off I get that they dropped the Obsidian tactical RPG. At least that would have brought something new to it.

27. Davee says:

Eh. I’d like to see more survival-horror, less shoot-em-up action. Especially in co-op. Dudebros slaughtering endless amounts of sluggish xenos just dosn’t seem very much like “Alien” to me.

28. ahmedaak88 says:

i have one question what is the explanation behind the fact that no metal is melting after the alien die , i mean when they cut one alien in the first movie the ship almost melted from there blood

29. televizor says:

Hangover Aliens: Colonial Marines got them drunk the night before.
    Seriously, why the hell do the aliens move in slo-mo?
    I understand that the console people (myself included) can’t keep hold their cursor onto a moving target but this is just…

• Askeladd says:

Well my bet is that they invest most in Borderlands 2 right know, which will be especially aimend at PC people.
      This game however will also be pushed to the console people to maximize their moneyz, because its kind of mediocre.
      I’ll just pretend it doesn’t exist if all my concerns become true.

30. Hug_dealer says:

considering we saw about nothing from the bits we were just given. I still see this being a decent game.

People who think that an aliens game is going to be children of men in video game form really need to get their heads checked.

People complaining about the aliens not moving fast enough, well thats up to debate. The aliens in 1 and 2 were not fast, The alien in 3 was. The movie written by joss “I ruin everything i touch” whedon isnt really an alien film, so nothing in that counts. Seriously, the only reason people seem to think aliens are extremely fast is the terrible not lore correct AvP games.

The game seems to be going for the movie aliens, which honestly is the only real way you can go for an action game. between this video and what was shown a while ago. This is shaping up to be exactly what i thought it would be. Aliens, only i get to kill them instead of just watch the movie. And I’m happy with that. Any expecting anything more is simply setting themselves up to be disappointed.

• Turkey says:

I’ll never understand the logic that it’s never okay to prejudge a game unless it’s in a positive light.

• Hug_dealer says:

Prejudge all you want. But prejudge based on evidence. Not just based off how you think they should be making the game.

also based on facts, people have missed other videos of colonial marines that shows the opposite of most complaints. As in aliens coming out of vents, and coming from behind, and crawling on ceilings leaping from object to object.

The entire point of the game is to play out like a movie, to provide entertainment. People complaining about how side characters and NPCs die in scripted ways, well guess what, it happens in movies also. Guess what movies and games also have in common, plots that dont always hold up to real life. Yes you always seem to survive, thats kinda what happens to heros in most movies, because its not a enjoyable movie or game if your character or the hero dies 3 minutes in. Thats not enough time to develop relationships or develop the plot.

Like i said, you dont go into a game like this expecting children of men. You go into it expecting Aliens. You know the 2nd alien film. WHich is exactly what the devs have been saying they are trying to recreate. No they arent trying to recreate the horror and scariness of the first or 3rd. They are going to the action one in the 2nd, the one with a couple jumpy moments, but overall filled with memorable characters and a good plot and lots of awesome action.

Also for the people even mentioning any of the AVP for any reason. You automatically roll a 1. Fail. AVP is not lore, aliens dont move that fast. Never have, even the alien in 3 didnt move that fast, it was hella fast, but not that fast, the aliens are 1 and 2 are definately not fast, sure they have decent lunging and short range burst skills, but that is it.

AVP has nothing to do with anything here.

• knofc says:

When people are referencing AvP, they are reffering to the first game that came out many years ago. It too was an action shooter, but at the same time managed to get the atmosphere, the tense running gun fights, the fear all spot on.

Most people here are simply saying this game falls way short of the kind of thing that has already been done in computer games with this IP, and are dissapointed in this.

31. sexyresults says:

I hate the new FPS trend of: hit trigger, event starts, controls are taken away. Some of these designers just need to move into the movie industry, forcing us (ie rails not good level/game design) to look where the want, how they want, when they want, they are in the wrong bloody industry.

• Hug_dealer says:

They have been doing it for years, called cutscenes.

• Stense says:

That irritates me as well. Unnecessery head bobbing and jerking around is a horrible trend (like your view being thrown all over the place when stuff ‘splodes near-by or head jerking as you reload are pet hates of mine). If you want the game to be in first person perspective, let the actual player decide what to look at.

32. hypercrisis says:

im reminded here that the Alien design is still awesome to this day, and that it really stands to show how unimaginative videogames are when they approach alien concepts

and this game was supposed to be squad based, no? or has squad based shifted to now mean ‘npcs wot help u.’ l wish we’d get another squad based horror shooter.

33. buzzmong says:

Oooof. I was utterly excited for this game, but every trailer I’ve seen has left me colder and colder.

The last trailer has some utterly fucking terrible section with a “bull” tank like alien, where you run down scripted routes until you get to safety. Utter cliche in game world events. It also made me wonder about too slow aliens, not enough brutality from the Marine weapons and it obviously being heavily scripted.

This trailer is even worse, lots of scripting. Sound design is horrible. Worse though was the little hit markers that sprung up when the player shot aliens. I hope that’s only a debug setting and won’t be in the real game as it’s a horrible visual aid which isn’t needed. Smart gun looked terrible as well.

Also, I’m pretty sure I could both look at the motion tracker AND point a pistol forward ready to shoot.

• Askeladd says:

Response; MotionTracker + Pistol: Which AFAIK was supposed to be like that. I could swear I read it in a Dev Blog or something, where they explained that a team of 4 people playing coop one would best be geared up with the MT and a pistol to warn his teammates.

34. GameOverMan says:

Those hitmarkers in the first video ruin the atmosphere… processors, so after playing for a couple of hours, this game should be a cloud of vapor the size of Nebraska.

35. Geen says:

Yes. I want that. Very bad. And for multiplayer, I want something like Space Station 13′s Alien mode, with players being crew members, and a single player being the Alien, crawling through vents and killing them one by one.
    EDIT: Damn, reply fail.

36. b0bl00i says:

My gwd.. What’s up with that horrible musle flash on the smart rifle. And why this silly heads up display. All games these days gotta be flawed in at least one or two ways.. Aliens look silly. Haven’t the developers played avp 1? It’s a shame. Was looking forward to this.

Comment on this story