Revenge Of The Bundle: IndieFort

By Alec Meer on April 6th, 2012 at 5:42 pm.

I also have wanderlust. I also have laziness, which means it's highly unlikely I'm leaving this chair any time soon

Emergency! Emergency! The world is running out of words to put after ‘indie’ when coming up with new pay-what-you-want bundle titles. Gamersgate have opted for ‘fort’ as theirs, with that perhaps unintended sideeffect that when I think IndieFort I picture a castle wearing a checked shirt and some black-framed plastic spectacles. Oh well! The roster of included games is fairly impressive in this one, and has a bit of a roleplaying skew rather than the usual barrange of faux-vintage platformers and shmups. We get 2D space sim Black Market, hardy roguelike Cardinal Quest, free-roaming samurai roleplaying Kenshi, hovertank shooter Steel Storm: Burning Retribution, hardcore dungeon-crawler dungeon-crawling Devil Whiskey, and high-speed co-op RPG Wanderlust: Rebirth.

I’m quite keen to play all those, actually: while this pack may not have the heavy-hitters of its humbly royal rivals, I’d argue it’s a more substantial offering than the bundle norm.

IndieFort requires a minimum payment of $5.99/€4.99/£3.99, but should you elect to pay more apparently it will go straight to the devs rather than the hosts. Pay what thou will here.

Oh yeah, when certain revenue levels are reached, new stuff gets unlocked – so far, an arcadeything called Puckbang has been added. There’s six days left to run before this bundle gets shut down. If it’s successful, no doubt there’ll be another – or so the cheeky ’1′ at the end of the IndieFort URL implies…

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , .

1. briktal says:

Devil Whiskey was one of those games that had a terrible stupid purchasing/pricing system back when it was released, right? God I’m glad indie games moved past that early 2000s stuff.

2. Grapesy says:

Goldenaxe is a roguelike dungeon crawler? Note to gamersgate – hire people who have a freakin’ clue what they’re talking about.

• kalirion says:

Seriously, and even Gauntlet was a realtime game!

• nullpunktur says:

That’s not fair to say roguelikes can’t be real time, Spelunky is real-time but I would strongly consider it a roguelike.

• jrodman says:

I think realtime stretches the genre rather sharply, myself. Perhaps a game incorporating aspects of roguelikes. Or a game similar to rogulikes. Perhaps a roguelike-like.

• realityflaw says:

Spelunky really only appears to be real-time.
          If you don’t move nothing else does either.

• siegarettes says:

Aye, I came just to comment about this. He repeatedly compares the games to others that are not remotely similar, or even in the same genre.

It’s a disservice to both the games in the video, and the games he references.

• paulsoaresjr says:

Disservice? That seems a bit unfair (and melodramatic). The video sent thousands of my subscribers to the site and sold hundreds of units, putting money into the devs’ pockets. I consider that a successful random act of kindness, thank you very much. :)

• Carra says:

Yeah, it’s not very accurate. Golden Axe was a fun, kill-em-all-with-an-axe game.

• paulsoaresjr says:

Agreed, it’s not completely accurate but consider the audience the video was actually intended for: young teens that think “roguelike” is a DPS hybrid class in WoW.

• Jason Moyer says:

The guy also said Devil Whiskey was like Dungeon Master or Eye Of The Beholder, when it’s clearly a Bard’s Tale/Dragon Wars clone.

• RegisteredUser says:

More people need to speak of Dragon Wars.

And BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk’s Inception.

3. Saarlaender39 says:

Already purchased.
    As Alec mentioned: this bundle looks very promising – unlike some of the others, that recently hit the internet.

4. Duckee says:

I have extra copies of Cardinal Quest and Steelstorm for trade. Head on over to my trading post on the forum if you wish to trade. I want beta keys or other games.

5. shaydeeadi says:

Kenshi is/will be great. Eagerly looking forward to this pathfinding update he announced.

6. Crimsoneer says:

Kenshin has potential, but is far too early to be included in any sort of purchased bundle. It’s barely a tech demo.

Black Market is good, if a bit generic. What are the highlights people are finding?

7. Tom De Roeck says:

kenshi and black market are both worth it, I think. But I dont want the others.

8. googoogjoob says:

the bundle page repeatedly 404s for me, although i can load any other game page on gg and in fact the pages of the games which are in the bundle

help

9. Blaze says:

This bundle is worth it just for the fact that you can unlock RamBro’s which is like a metal slug/metroid game, it’s being developed by the same guy making Under The Ocean.

RPS should post an article on RamBro’s and it’s IndieGoGo page http://www.indiegogo.com/RamBros-Indie-Game

The developer is only asking for $8000 which is not too much, it has only raised $515 with 36 days left.

• kristian says:

The guy has 2 projects at the same time? ehh… i think it’s better if no-one donates to hes stuff then. most likely they wont get finished.

• Blaze says:

Did you even read the information on the IndieGoGo page here http://goo.gl/Y1umq I highly doubt you did.

He’s looking to go full time indie dev and work on RamBros, It would be his 8th finished indie game.

“I have a good track record finishing games, I have finished every game I ever started developing, if you want to see some of my previous games just jump over to my blog ”

His blog is here http://www.farmergnome.blogspot.com

Don’t be so ignorant my friend, read & do research before you say something and make yourself look like a jackass.

With that being said, have yourself a wonderful day.

10. ru_disa says:

Devil Whiskey intrigues me, but I found only 1 review of it on the whole wide web. Also, the official website has a lot of dead links and looks… weird…
    So, anybody played it?

• briktal says:

It’s basically like a Bard’s Tale game. I’ve played it a little before but it’s been nearly 10 years so I really can’t remember anything about it. I guess it doesn’t completely suck?

• jrodman says:

I was following it when it was in development, but somehow i forgot about it. I think it ran unacceptably poorly on my computer of FOREVER AGO and it dropped off my radar.

I just looked at their site to buy, but it’s 25 bucks and that’s just more than I care to spend for a game I can’t really tell if I’ll enjoy. But this bundle brings it into my try-before-buying price range. Bard’s tale certainly wasn’t deep, but I had a lot of fun exploring.

11. carn1x says:

Tried so many times to buy this, but either I get returned to GG with error code 000080 and a failed purchase from Paypal, or Moneybookers makes life even more difficult due to being a Hong Kong resident. I look forward to Gamersgate replying to my support request and hopefully adding what I find to be a much more reliable payment gateway in Amazon or Google Wallet.

• jrodman says:

Ah yes, the reason gamersgate is dead to me. Their billing options are all completely crap.

Weird money schemes that don’t exist in my continent? Check.
      Obnoxious vendor-specific coins? Check.
      A failure to just process credit cards without routing via the failure that is paypal? Check.

If you can’t just accept a credit card in the year 2012 as an internet seller of goods, you are clearly doing it wrong. This stuff hasn’t been that hard since 1998 or so.

• Gnoupi says:

To be fair though, I can’t really blame an online seller for refusing to even see my card number. I know there are systems to do it properly, I know there are issues with Paypal.. But in the end I feel safer if I have to share my card number only with one entity. Even if this entity is Paypal.

But YMMV.

• jrodman says:

With Paypal’s track record, I really cannot agree with you.

However, none of the modern billing systems require the vendor to traffic in your card information. And there’s strong reason for them to want to avoid it, because it introduces a lot of compliance headaches on them and liability. Stripe is a really good example, though RBS systems work well also. Really any modern sales tool is going to work fine.

But for the sake of argument, you’ve decided to go whole hog and trust the swindler, paypal, because you don’t want to be exposed to other swindlers as well. That they allow you to just pay using a paypal account information is good for you. However, given that I don’t want to give my payment info to paypal, nor go through 3 extra screens to buy something is not really good for me. In fact, there’s research that shows that lots of sales get lost on that ‘jump to paypal domain’ experience.

So, in short, gamersgate are doing it wrong for the majority, even if their choice is nice for the minority.

12. Wolvaroo says:

I picked up the 4 pack of Wanderlust last week when it was onsale from their website and I was pleasantly surprised. I’ve spend nearly all my free time over the last few days playing it.

The campaign itself is not that long, you could easily finish it in an evening, but then it unlocks hard mode and crawl, which are both VERY HARD and rewarding!

13. siegarettes says:

Wanderlust interests me, but only for multiplayer with my friends, which is unlikely given time constraints. I’ve also been hankering for a good space trading sim for some reason, but I might be better served by something like Smugglers IV.

Either way, I’m not too keen on having even MORE games I won’t play, so unless the extras are indescribably amazing I think I’ll wait and pick the few I want at full price at another time.

14. figvam says:

Hmm, price in pounds? Minimum price to pay? Requiring an account at Gamersgate to pay?

Sorry, it doesn’t look like an indie bundle at all. While it’s fine not to follow other bundles example to the letter, I would expect more creativity in variation, not setting the minimum price which would cause most of the profits to miss the developers’ pockets*.

* the average purchase for Humble Bundles is only $5-7, so Gamersgate would get the majority from the price paid assuming the same average price.

• lordcooper says:

70% of profits go to developers, as well as anything above the stated amount.

• figvam says:

Is it some kind of an inside knowledge? There is nothing of the sort on the bundle page.

• MikoSquiz says:

Yeah, I already had £9.99 dialed in and then it told me I had to register an account. Nevermind.

15. Gabe McGrath says:

Dear Indiefort people….

NINE MINUTES AND FIFTYNINE SECONDS for your introductory video??

Please, please trust me…
    2 minutes *tops* for your next video.

Anymore than that, and people won’t bother.

And at a mindboggling 9m59s, you’d better be showing an epic battle of water buffalo versus lions versus crocodiles* – or else you’re seriously overestimating the free time of the customer and the level of enthusiasm for more indie bundles.

*actually, Battle at Kruger is only 8m24s.

16. Navagon says:

I can certainly appreciate the fact that they haven’t simply gone for all the usual bundle candidates, and have put together something decidedly more unique. I’m not 100% sure that this is the bundle for me though. Most of the titles are at least intriguing, but none really grab me and make me think “Hell yeah! Sold!”.

17. trjp says:

1 – fire the idiot in the video, he sounds like someone’s Dad who’s been told to explain games to idiots
    2 – why not call it “BundleGate” – a total failure of a pun

NEXT!

• paulsoaresjr says:

The idiot that made the video is indeed a dad but did not get paid and thus cannot be fired. :) The video was created explicitly to share the bundle on his personal Youtube channel for his subscriber base made up mostly of young teen Minecraft players.

• trjp says:

Whoever his followers are, what he’s created it like something from a low-rent shopping channel – without the charm and pizazz of Magic Bullet or PaintPad Pro

Yes, it’s worse than that – cringing, in fact.

The only upside is that unlike almost every other podcast or video I’ve endured recently, he didn’t say “errrrr” a lot (seriously – why do people record their own rambling and expect others to listen to it??)

• paulsoaresjr says:

That’s your opinion and your entitled to it. The FACT is, however, the video was directly responsible for several hundred sales and that puts money in the devs’ pockets which means food on the table and a roof over their heads. And, errrrrr, that was the goal. :)

• trjp says:

I’ve no idea how you can be so sure it was a sales success – and I know for an absolute undeniable fact that you don’t know how many people watched it and said “WTF” and moved along instead of buying the bundle.

I’m not normally the sort of people who knocks people’s efforts but a company who sell games using a video where the commentator clearly knows next-to-nothing about games is not promoting itself properly.

There’s no lack of knowledgeable people who could have made a better effort surely (or at least proofed his script)? The guy sounds like he read a book about video games once – briefly – at best…

My other half even commented on it and the only games she’s ever played are Zelda:OOT, Pokemon and Bejewelled… :)

• pandincus says:

Hear, hear! Good for you, Paul, don’t listen to these haters. Sure, some of the game comparisons may have been a little off, but honestly, you can see the game video right there in front of you as he’s talking. I’ve played both Gauntlet and Goldenaxe and when I watched the video it was clear to me which elements of those games seemed similar and which didn’t. People need to chill out.

• jrodman says:

I think Paul has a point though. What I would take home is this:

– Make a promotional video for your bundle(s), at least the next time around
            – Make it shorter than that video and more focused on the games, hitting their positive points
            – Thank that guy for making his video and give him props if he wants to do it next time too, but do not make your your primary introductory video. A link from the bundle page to other reviews seems a great way to do this.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Is it “Rage like assholes at random people week” or something?

Mature, guys, really mature.

18. Maniacal says:

Besides Kenshi (which is still in a very rough Alpha state) and Black Market (which is neat and has a very lengthy demo on its website but I can’t see myself playing it for all that long) nothing in this bundle even looks like they are worth any money at all. A couple of the games just look absolutely awful :/

19. phanatic62 says:

Only thing that interested me was Cardinal Quest, so I went to the dev’s website and bought it from there. Figure it’s better to give them all the money then spend it on a bundle where I’ll only play 1 or 2 games.

20. Unfair says:

Here’s a quick review of each game in the IndieFort bundle, if anyone is unsure about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iULdP0ncYDw

Should give you a better feel for them than the glossy intro video.