Spec Ops: The Line Is A Grisly Business

By Jim Rossignol on April 6th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Eep.
Having read Adam’s hands on with Spec Ops: The Line, I’ve found myself intrigued by a game I suspect I might have otherwise ignored or dismissed as another military shooter. While it’s very much about men shooting each other, the themes of the collapsing Dubai being eaten by the desert, not to mention the underlying occult weirdness, looks like something I’d like to explore. The latest trailer (via Blue), below, is intensifying that feeling, too.

The game is out 29th June.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. BenLeng says:

Well, looks likes somebody has been reading Heart of Darkness.

2. Kollega says:

The man who i assume is supposed to be the primary antagonist sounds like General Sarrano.

We. Are. Fucked.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Once, just once, I want a villain with a completely camp voice. Maybe like the floridly bent chinese guy out of The Hangover. Gravelly Mc Asphaltvoice can have a breakfrom voice acting for one game to make way for “Its funny, because he’s fat”
      **cuts down obese corpse which crushes player in first person view**

• MordeaniisChaos says:

Actually I don’t think he’s the primary antagonist. I could be wrong, but I don’t think he’s the main baddy.

3. John Connor says:

IM LOOKING FOR SARAH CONRAD.

4. Iskariot says:

I had forgotten about this. I am very intrigued.
    Is the single player campaign worth the money? If it is 10 hours or even less I will wait for the bargain bin. I really want to know the gameplay time before I buy.
    What about the game world? Is it open, semi-open, large levels?
    I read there was a 2 weapon limit. Personally I find that a bit too extreme, but it is not a deal breaker of course.

5. Ett_1762 says:

Is he yelling “Shoot it, shoot it” or “shoot him, shoot him” at the end? The first possibility could hint at a fantastical “it” the player would meet at some time in the game. Some sort of monster-creature, another nod to uncharted?

• Shooop says:

Definitely “it”.

• woodsey says:

Presumably they’re just talking about a helicopter (one does pop up a moment later).

• Ett_1762 says:

Hm, I thought about that too, but i feel like it wouldn’t really fit to the paniced voice. Sounds to me like the speaker is afraid of something more horrible.

Well, maybe i’m just imagining things because i want an occult element in this game. i’m a sucker for games which stay “realistic” until, at some point, they suddenly introduce more fantastic elements into the story (did i say that i really like the uncharted series?).

• MordeaniisChaos says:

It, and pretty obviously a helicopter. I doubt this game is going to be terribly into the occult or anything like that.

6. woodsey says:

I’m quietly interested in this, although the antagonist’s voice actor is a little more theatrical than I would have hoped.

Hopefully it lives up to what they want it to be.

7. Reefpirate says:

I thought I heard John Sheridan from Babylon 5 in there somewhere…

• scorcher24 says:

Thank your UK Retailers for it that blackmail digital services not to offer it in the UK..

• Gardiad says:

I made an account just to reply to this, that was disproved a long time ago… and we only have one brick & mortar store who almost got shut down last week, they aren’t in a position to blackmail ANYONE right now. There probably is digital distribution just not put on there yet for whatever reason.

EDIT : Also noticed there isn’t any digital ones on the US pre-order either

8. Chaz says:

This ones going to be a bit of a wait and see for me. The Spec Ops series is a bit too much of an unknown quantity right now. I had the orginal Spec Ops Rangers Lead the Way on PC way back when, but that was years ago. Since then the series has changed hands and formats quite a few times.

9. matrices says:

That artwork is very stark. Abu Ghraib style detainees sitting in front of two decrepit American flags? Quite the statement. Wonder how much it reflects the sophistication of the game proper.

10. Tetragrammaton says:

This actually looks refreshingly weird/intriguing . Sort of reminds me of this(which is awesome):

11. Chiller says:

This has set off a lot of my alarm signals:

What little actual gameplay footage can be seen doesn’t look good (I’m not talking about the graphics).
    They are trying very hard to make the story seem dramatic/interesting/creepy but it actually appears be made up of overused tropes.
    It looks a LOT like an exciting trailer for a very crappy movie. Every movie has enough interesting scenes that you can make a decent trailer out of them, and so does every game.

But, hey, I might be wrong.

• Chaz says:

Yes they do seem to be playing up the whole horrors and depravity of war thing over any kind of gameplay exposition in their trailers. My feeling is that it will end up being a rather average shooter with various grisly scenes shoe horned in to try and lend it an air of gravitas and intellectual merit.

• TwwIX says:

Well, if it’s still anything like the multiplayer 360 beta from 2010, it will be a very forgettable and lackluster experience.

12. Angel Dust says:

Still waiting for the ‘Wot I Think’ on this one but I am far more interested than I thought I would be.

13. MrUnimport says:

As much as I want this to be good, I don’t want to get my hopes up. All that background stuff about the inhumanity of man to man and the ruined-paradise look of Dubai, all that sounds great, but I have certain doubts about their ability to pull off something properly thoughtful and atmospheric in the context of what appears to be from all evidence to be a fairly ordinary third-person shooter.

Comment on this story