To The End? Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut Set for Summer

By Nathan Grayson on April 6th, 2012 at 12:00 am.

If only posing heroically improved Galactic Readiness.
Hey, remember those “content initiatives” aimed at providing “clarity” for Mass Effect 3′s ending? Well it looks like they will part of a spread of DLC arriving in a few months time. I was hoping they’d swap out the ending for a Bollywood dance number and something involving puppets, but oh well. I suppose DLC that’s “more personalized for each player” will do in a pinch. BioWare’s officially deemed it The Extended Cut, and it’s free! Pretty neat, huh? But today, we too are announcing our own extended cut. It’s attached to the lower half of this very post. And that’s free, too.

Right. Well, that was an anticlimactic. Anyway, here’s BioWare’s Ray Muzyka clarifying the clarification ending with clarification.

“We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team. Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Further, BioWare’s put together a handy FAQ that outlines what exactly we can expect from the Extended Cut. This bit, especially, seems pretty crucial.

“BioWare strongly believes in the team’s artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned… BioWare will expand on the ending to Mass Effect 3 by creating additional cinematics and epilogue scenes to the existing ending sequences.”

So then, this is the ending to end all endings, apparently. Also, it doesn’t sound like it’ll be too terribly different. Just, you know, extended. It remains to be seen whether or not this will quiet the guttural yells coming from ME3 detractors very angry corner of the galaxy, but here’s hoping. Mostly because I’d really, really like to talk about something else. How about bread? Who here likes bread?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. leeder krenon says:

I quite like bread, but most of it is pretty mediocre these days. You have to pay a lot of money for decent bread.

• Archangel says:

French bread seems to be the big fashion, but Italian bread is as good or better: all of the yummy, but without the scratchy crust! And ciabatta.. mmm, ciabatta. Either that or the fresh whole grain ones.

Let’s face it, fresh bread = good bread. If it’s in the store and still warm, snap it up and eat it immediately. That is your Rule for the Day.

Oh man — now I’m hungry.

• Mike says:

If you know what you’re doing though, ho boy. Marks and Spencer do this bread with cranberries and nuts in. It’s like someone is punching you in the tongue with the most delicious fist ever.

• kiwlosad says:

Y’know, and speaking of things that are rich and sweet, hopefully the extended Mass Effect 3 ending is rather awesome and fulfilling. I’d appreciate that. http://aox.me/ss44

• Rhygadon says:

I can’t tell if this account represents a new advance in adaptive spambotting, or if it’s just a human who’s getting a tiny amount of money per custom-crafted spam post. Either way, it’s a new salvo in the filtering wars …

• Ritashi says:

I looks like a bot which is designed to pick out short paragraphs from top-level comments, add a link, and then post as a reply in an earlier comment thread. It’s taking advantage of the layout of this comment system, in that we will see the bot post before seeing the post it stole from. It’s an intelligent system in certain respects, but it should be very easy to add something to an automated filter to catch it. All you’d need would be to check any incoming comments for being straight copy/pastes of a comment in a different thread, with only a link added. If it tries to get more creative a la stealing from multiple posts or adding a simple meaningless sentence or punctuation (or even some basic synonym replacement), then it would be a challenge.

• Sorth_31 says:

Sadly I have yet to truly experience real bread, It tends to dissapear into the nether (also known as my upper intestine) before I reach the counter. Thusly I tend to end up paying for an empty wrapper and have been told that experiencing my bread thusly somehow makes it less real, or at least less mine.

Sadly few shops have learnt their lesson and started baking actual, non-sliced, resistable loaves that aren’t delicious while still warm.

I refuse to admit this is a flaw on my part. It is obviously all the bread makers fault. They should make things at least mildly less delicious.

• PyroCat says:

I got this bread from sainsbury’s the other day and it has oats baked into it. It’s subtle, at first, but there’s something that’s just so moreish I can’t help but eat slice after slice of it, slathering butter into it until it’s all golden and soggy, despite being toasted.

Gosh I could really go for some bread right now.

Also malt loaf.

• apocraphyn says:

I love bread. Of all kinds! Though I see no love for tiger bread. Mmm. Tiger bread.

• Gap Gen says:

Living in France is so awesome. Shame tiny dogs poop literally everywhere. Literally.

• Gap Gen says:

Living in France is awesome. Especially if you like tiny dogs pooping everywhere. Which I do not, but what can you do.

• TechnicalBen says:

The last bread I ate was wonderful. Really good up until the last slice. That last slice contained 100 tiny shards of glass. But “Hey, who cares” I thought, “the other 99% of the bread is great!” so I ate it anyway.
      I totally don’t understand why people complain about getting shards of glass in their bread. I like em. I mean, you paid for it, right?!

/sarcasm

• fitzroy_doll says:

Dunn’s in Crouch End does fantastic bread. Would buy again.

• DrScuttles says:

I really should go there. I lived about 7 minutes up the road from Dunn’s for about 2 years and not once did I visit.
        Hmm. I am still on the 41 bus route. And I have money on my Oyster. I could go there. I could go there right now.

On a vaguely related note, when working at the bottom end of Muswell Hill and our pub kitchen had one of its frequent problems, I’d buy lunch from a little sandwich shop up the road. Doughnuts as big as your head. Insanity, but good insanity.

2. PleasingFungus says:

For me, it’s a tossup between sourdough and cheese bread.

It’s bread, but with cheese baked in!

The best of both worlds.

3. FunkyBadger3 says:

Hoping they just extend the lingering shots of crashed Normandy’s to 5 minutes long each.

4. Lacero says:

over 9000 different colours of explosions, which one you get depends on your individual choices.

5. E_FD says:

Maybe we’ll get a purple explosion this time! And a yellow one too!

6. Klaus says:

If I eat bread before I go to bed, my mouth is incredibly dry in the morning and I’ll have a headache.

7. BatmanBaggins says:

Bread’s dead, baby.

8. frenz0rz says:

I appreciate what they’re doing, really I do, but the damage is already done.

Also, its due out in summer? Fair enough I suppose, but I’m sure most of us will have moved on by then. It’d be like watching the end of the Lord of the Rings trilogy four months after having watched an original, shoddy incomplete version of it – you’d be intrigued, sure, but most of the emotional response you would have taken from your initial viewing would be lost.

• BatmanBaggins says:

I have to give them a little bit of credit for not charging for it.

I mean, I’m genuinely surprised that they aren’t.

So… good on them, I guess? It’s almost like they’re a decent company that cares about its fans!

• TheWhippetLord says:

Perhaps they’re hoping to sell more copies to those who were discouraged by the grumpiness of the internets. Or to keep the theme going, because they knead the dough.

• Haphaz77 says:

Probably not too hard a decision for them:

Producer 1: We have two options here – charge for this DLC or release it for free.

Producer 2: What happens if we charge?

Producer 1: Well, we make some money, but then the internet / most fans explode due to fan rage and then our company enters a death spiral.

Producer 2: So what’s option 2 again?…

• DaFishes says:

At least it’s free, I guess. I’m going to wait and watch YouTube videos of the whole fucking thing before I decide to download.

Their incompetent community manager has been spilling spoilers about its content on her personal Twitter account, if you care to look.

• engion3 says:

I agree. They should put all thier money and funding into inventing the time machine, go back in time, make it right, and offer everyone a complimentary lifetime free membership to their products. I’ll start the charity drive…

• stkaye says:

The lord of the rings comparison is interesting. I can’t help but wonder if what we originally got with ME3′s endings was something like the ending of Inception or the Sopranos, and now we’re in for something a lot more like the ending of Return of the King…

9. Man Raised by Puffins says:

I used to prefer white bread, but I find that these days I’m more partial to crusty granary loaves.

10. Hoaxfish says:

I find it a bit silly, all these people suggesting extra colours. Clearly they don’t understand the artistic vision, and what “extended” means…

Obviously the DLC will be an extra 5 minutes of the mass relays exploding (only the original colours), followed by a long waffling chunk of pseudo-philosophical nonsense where glowing things talk at each other.

I’m sure it will all be much clearer just what kind of quality writing Bioware is capable of after this.

11. El_Spartin says:

Bread is good, but you have to add stuff to it to make it great otherwise it’s pretty bland.

12. TsunamiWombat says:

I like bread. Needs to be firm on the outside, but chewy. Like french style the best, though I do like the occasional potato roll.

13. Drake Sigar says:

You can afford real bread? Well la de da big spender. The real of us have to make do with the knockoff brand called braed.

14. Sigvatr says:

I really appreciate what they are doughing.

15. TsunamiWombat says:

I’m fond of bread wots firm or crusty on the outside, but chewy inside. French Baguette is my favorite, though I also like me some egg breads or potato rolls.

16. vodkarn says:

Do you still have to win a goddamn dozen multiplayer games to get ‘galactic readiness’ to 100%?

• malkav11 says:

That, or fiddle with iOS bullshit. But I will tell you right now that it doesn’t matter enough to be worth doing any of that if you weren’t independently motivated to do so.

• vodkarn says:

I’m just this, apparently bizarre type of player, who wants to complete all of a game; which apparently I can only do by running in circles while enemies teleport in, supported by my mute teammates.

Oh you killed that 40×40 foot box of Geth? Well NOW I’ll face the reapers, sure!

• Apples says:

Increasing that score does nothing except get you maybe a 1-second flash of cutscene, so it doesn’t really ‘complete’ anything. Don’t waste time making a completely meaningless number go up if you’re not enjoying it for the sake of an illusion of completion.

• Phantoon says:

Man people are gonna be so mad when they have to grind out the galactic readiness again because it slowly deteriorates over time.

• soulblur says:

Well hopefully this is something that they flesh out in this DLC. At least additional cutscenes showing the impact of your carefully arrayed forces (or lack thereof), so that the warscore and specific assets make a difference.

Also, explaining how the hell Liara got back on the Normandy and ito space. Because last time I looked, she was running right behind me.

But to be honest, I’m also a little over it now. I’d as much prefer new content that takes the story forward, sans Shephard. Play as Joker or another squadmate who survived on that weird planet they landed on. Explaining what that was.

Also, just getting on with making the next game. Because clearly, with a relatively unified ending like this (the endings aren’t that different, are they), it should be pretty easy to set a game in the time of the cutscene at the very end of ME3. Exploring the universe, seeing, after 1000 years, what the difference Shephard made was. I would still buy that.

• MSJ says:

Seeing people complain about ME3 multiplayer makes me feel like I am observing a culture alien to mine. Maybe because I come from online communities where the forum thread for ME3 multiplayer (seperated from the single-player thread) is as active as the Skyrim modding thread or the Steam discussion thread, with people still exchanging war stories, tips, strategies, character builds and loadout.

17. Ruffian says:

Sounds exactly fine to me. Kinda bitch that this is what they had planned all along, and it’s so far off that I’ll probably forget all about ME by then, but whatevs. At least I know bioware didn’t suddenly go retarded during those last couple months of development and forget what character driven story is. I guess the real reason was EA’s tarded deadlines, then. Here’s hoping it’s enough to slake the passions of the REALLY pissed fanboys. or not, I’m caring less and less daily.

18. coffeetable says:

Naan. A hot naan straight out the tandoor, with the remains of a chicken pathia waiting to be mopped up.

19. Haphaz77 says:

I’m tentatively happy about this. Its more the execution of the ending rather than its direction that bothered me. But they absolutely have to fill in those plot holes. If they don’t, I’m not sure Bioware (or the Internet…) would survive the fan-rage.

• RedViv says:

The holes are in the ending that exists, and they want to extend the ending that we have. Not sure how much of this will be spent on filling those holes, or if that is even possible.

• Haphaz77 says:

Fair point – maybe I should have said blatant inconsistencies instead. Just replacing the Normandy sequence with /anything/ else and adding in some story on how your war readiness actually made a difference would be a great start. If they don’t even do that, well, nice knowing you Bioware.

• Sorth_31 says:

Could the internet survive the fan rage? Easily, the amount of data it can carry can’t feasibly be overrun by a small group of people without some massive planning and/or specialist programmes.

Could Bioware be downed if this goes bad? Possible, but doubtful, no evidece has thus far been shown to prove the people wanting a new ending are in the majority. Sure they shout loudest and seem to be more prevalent on the internet, but then hard-disk formatting viruses are also quite prevalent, and nobody accused them of being a majority of anything. At worst I see Bioware surviving for another game. At best, surviving for another game, then promptly forgetting this furore along with most other people.

• Haphaz77 says:

Internet point – intentional exaggeration for writing effect

Bioware point – agree its not a certainty, but more likely than you think – it would be a lot of the company’s core fan base (what proportion we can only guess) which could be alienated. Big companies do rely a lot on core fans / media coverage of them to generate future hype / business. If a narrative takes hold that Bioware is on the decline / tarnished by this, it can be hard to recover – Key staff could leave, next game has lowered ambitions etc.

• MarcusCardiff says:

@Sorth_31
            “no evidece has thus far been shown to prove the people wanting a new ending are in the majority.”

Except this poll that shows 83% think the ending is unacceptable and only 4% think it’s fine as is.
            But I guess that’s not enough of a majority for you.

• Enso says:

Heard of vocal minority?

• Phantoon says:

The ending was bad. The fan rage made it so the next DLC they’d pop out was more endings, and for once, for free.

It was do or die, basically, even if this wasn’t going to kill them, so I guess this isn’t a great saying to use here.. Since a lot of Mass Effect’s players are mainstream, they may well have forgotten about the series by the time Bioware fixes it. And because these people are mainstream, they will forget what company did this and buy the next super-hyped game.

• kuddles says:

I can’t believe someone just tried to use an online poll as evidence of the majority. I almost cried myself laughing.

20. RedViv says:

I make my own bread, based on a secret family recipe. Or rather several of those, from all four nationalities. So it’s me. Just as bread. Does that make any sense? If it is pale and even freckled?

21. malkav11 says:

I…guess I’ll reserve judgment. It’s a pretty vague statement that could possibly lead to some of my issues with the ending being resolved. But it doesn’t sound like they’re acknowledging that the ending is intrinsically rubbish, just that it’s also truncated and confusing. And in fact it’s my belief that it is intrinsically rubbish and that the game would be equally improved by just ending right before the bit with the elevator.

22. rocketman71 says:

Whatever they do with the end, it certainly can’t be worse than what they put there already.

Also, from now on I don’t give much credence to any press releases from Bioware that do not start with “we’re sorry, we fucked up”. Even if they come signed by the old doctor.

23. tungstenHead says:

I’ve found that the lowest setting on certain toasters can do some pretty incredible things to bread — especially raisin bread. It’s like a miniature bread sandwich on toast. It doesn’t dry the bread out like the highest settings can, but it warms it up and gives it just a little bit of crispiness. I never really had the guts to try experimenting with my toast that radically until just one day, I said, “Hey, I wonder what happens at the lowest setting.” Turns out, good things happen. Use thick slices though, because thin slices will still just toast all the way through.

Speaking of thin slices, I ended up having to make a sandwich out of my mum’s thin health-nut bread once. I wound up just using slice, peanut butter, slice, peanut butter, banana, peanut butter, slice, peanut butter slice. It was a bit ridiculous, but I really only had the basic amount of bread. The amount of peanut butter actually was about right because I was frugal with it.

But speaking of peanut butter banana sandwiches, if you want to try something absolutely decadent for a sandwich, give this a shot: Bread of choice, peanut butter on each slice, Nutella (which is a chocolate hazelnut spread — use something a bit chocolatey) on one slice, jam of your choice (I like blueberry) on that and then take a banana, splice it down the middle and cut it in half and put that in there. Close it up and have a banana split sandwich. If you feel particularly insane, add pineapple, whipped cream and a second kind of jam. You can make that fucker the sweetest sandwich imaginable.

• Iliya Moroumetz says:

I likes the cut of your jib, friend. :)

People with that kind of command of the vernacular always make me happy.

24. rocketman71 says:

Also don’t understand why they call “artistic choices” to something that is barely choicely and not exactly artistic.

Really, I’m all against Ebert, games are art, but the end of this game is something you can think as “the anti-art”, a turd that Casey Hudson thought in some rare moment of epiphany and thought it was good. And everybody agreed with him. Which is why Bioware is completely dead.

If all they’re giving us are epilogues, the main complaint stands: Bioware promised us LOTS of endings based around our decisions, and we got a choice of RGB. And that’s not changing. Bastards, artistic integrity my ass.

EA should be named worst company of the fucking universe.

25. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

While I was eating the bread there was this whole thing about not messing with the genetics of the corn to make the bread taste nicer, and about how the Salarian corn farmers were so naughty for doing it, and yet at the end of my loaf I found myself doing it to all corn everywhere! I saved the corn universe in the most hypocritical way imaginable!

• TechnicalBen says:

I chose to combine all bread and toasters alike. It’s the only way they can get along. However, everyone I know and love dies as a result. But I though “Hey, I love toast! What’s to loose?!”

26. Surgeon says:

I like massive baps.

27. Dr I am a Doctor says:

I can’t eat normal people’s bread. :(

28. Symbul says:

As long as it starts with “Hey you remember that other shit? Yeah that didn’t happen. Here’s what really happens!” I’ll be happy.

I don’t think I’m going to be happy.

29. TLGAthena says:

Longer answer : No. The plot holes alone would require close to 15-20 mins of cutscenes, not counting fleshing out all the crap they missed like the magically teleporting team mates, the four fifths or so of the reaper discussion you didn’t get with the machine godchild.

Nerd Rage Against the Machine Godchild? Damn straight.

30. Etherealsteel says:

I don’t have enough Bread EA to keep paying for DLC, now I wish EA was Toast. EA at yeast you could do is kneed the DLC to be Free. The customer can have a slice, but you are charging for the pat of butter. When will DLC be like Flat bread?

31. chiroben says:

On a serious note: Breadmakers ftw!

I have recently been opened up to a whole new world of bread. All so fresh… and your house always smells amazing. They’re cheap… they’re easy. There’s really no downside to a breadmaker. And pizza dough! Oh, the home-made pizzas are to die for. So, go forth and bake! You will be so glad you did. Once having a breadmaker, all store-bought loaves taste stale (since they are).

32. Pugiron says:

I wonder how much of the crappy stub ending is because Bioware striomined their workers to get Old Republic done and running on time. Might be what happened to Dragon Age 2 as well.

33. seruko says:

I care a great deal for bed.
    Buuuuuut ME3 extended edition for artistic integrity? Can’t be bothered. DA2+ME3 means no more money from me bioware/ea. Thanks for those games other people wrote and you published.

34. ezekiel2517 says:

So they listened yet learned nothing. We will get an extended bad ending, so it will be 20 minutes of madness instead of 10.

I’d like the original ME writers to come out and defend their artistic integrity.

35. Avish says:

As a jewish, I am not supposed to discuss bread on paasover (Pesah), which happens to be this evening (Kneydalech HO!).
    So I’ll be thankful if you could postpone all the bread talk to next week.

Thank you.

36. Astalnar says:

It is like they are not listening at all. few more minutes why universe got fucked up will not help the matter.
    They should have realized by now that games, even RPG games are not the same thing as books. Readers are passive observers and killing main character in book is just an element of the story. Killing main character in a game because of the story is just stupid. It can go through if dieing is one of more choices. But not in any way of option a is dieing and option b is dieing as well.
    Gamers in general play to win. Not to experience the story. No matter what people say any game is basicly a competition for individual. Story might be good and fun. But they expect to come out as winners at the end. And it doesn’t help if after all the effort they invested you kill their character. Bioware can trumphet all around how Shepard is their creatin and their character. But when players play, this Shepard is their own character. And while Bioware is fine by “losing a game”, players are nowhere near that.
    Gamers are used to wining as individuals. They don’t give a fuck about universe. Whole universe can die and they will be fine with it no matter what as long their character manages to pull it through.
    And couple of more minutes after your so meaningfully chosen color of explosion will not help the matter.

• TechnicalBen says:

I would not argue against story, but…
      … It’s hard to defend plot twists and loosing characters when for 99% of the game you have an infinite reserve of replacement “lives”. :P

• -Norbert- says:

I have to partially disagree there, Astalnar.
      Letting the main character die in the final cutscene can work out well, if it’s done well.
      A good example would be Final Fantasy 10. While the game wasn’t exactly the greatest memeber of the series, the ending is still one of my favourites. It was a great scene even though, or more likely because the main character…. “ceased to exists” would probably be more fitting than “dyed”.
      But in FFX it was well executed and emotional. It was sad and tragic and somehow still romantic, the way he and Yuna said goodby to each other (even more so in the Japanese original).

But in ME3? The only emotion I felt during the ending cutscenes was annoyance. No pride in Shepards heroic sacrifice, no sadness about his/her passing….
      Because I really cared about his/her self doubt and battle fatigue that were shown earlier in the game that total lack of emotion in the end was even more glaring.

That’s why I have little hope in this DLC. I very much doubt that adding a bit of stuff will be enough to change the emotional impact of the scene(s).

37. Eich says:

That’s so great! It’s like an extended prison sentence. Everybody is happy! …. Wait whaaaaat?

38. Gap Gen says:

What I like to do when I finish a good book is to go online and find extra chapters from the middle of the book and read those. Closure and catharsis are so 20th century.

39. -Norbert- says:

So why do they need to call it a DLC, when it really is a patch?
    The players didn’t like the ending, so it’s fixed… sound like a patch to me.

Does this mean we will soon get bugfix DLCs instead of patches too?

On another node, I hope they’ll allow us to save and skip dialogue during the stupid hobbling through the citadel, or alternatively place the “choice triggers” closer to the little ghost boy.
    I mean WHY the hell do I have to hobble for two to three minutes just to activate the final cutscenes? And all that crap after roughly 20 minutes of unskippable, fixed (as in being pretty much the same, no matter what you choose to answer) talk that wasn’t interresting the first time I heard it.
    Yeah, a real motivator to play the thing again.

40. ahmedaak88 says:

Some one should make a parody of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5OlolbLXvw but in an Bioware’s style

41. kuddles says:

I hope this works as actual DLC and not a patch. I’m one of those people who wasn’t crazy enough to demand more “closure”, deluded enough to believe there was a grand conspiracy all along, nor am I stupid enough to continuously use the term “plot hole” when I don’t actually know what the word means.

42. Bluerps says:

I’m not sure I like that. Extending the endings is nice and all, but I don’t think they can make the post-elevator part better by adding more explanations. Oh well. Maybe they surprise me.

Anyway. I think I’ll have some toast now. At least I’m sure that I’ll like that.

43. MuscleHorse says:

At the risk of seeing a spoiler here, I’ve just acquired my copy of ME3 while nearing a replay of ME2. Should I wait for these DLCs? From what I gather, quite a few people think the ending is appropriate and accuse those complaining of wanting a Michael Bay save the girl/kill the baddie ending.

• -Norbert- says:

I’ll try to keep it as spoiler-free as I can

The problem with the ending (for me) wasn’t due to what happened, but how it was presented.
      Throughout all the games you have choices and your decisions matter, even beyond the scope of the game they are in.
      Many of the choices you made in ME1 and 2 will have an impact in ME3, but only for getting toward the ending. Once the final part of the game starts (which involved a lot of hobbling at excruciatingly slow speed through long corridors and uninterresting, unskippable conversation), all those choices and consequences are thrown out of the window and have no impact what-so-ever on the actual ending.
      You get a choice between three triggers.
      Choice 1 (green) is completely independent of any influence.
      In Choice 2 (blue) the galactic military rating is used for determining wether the soldiers in the cutscene cheer or not. Other than that no impact.
      In Choice 3 (red) we again get some difference depending on the military rating (and only that rating). It can be bad (a lot of people die), not so bad (soldier don’t cheer, Shep dies), good (soldier cheer, shep dies) and very good (soldier cheer and you get an additional two second cutscene showing that shep survived – as far as I knwo this ending can only be achieved by playing multiplayer too, no matter how crazy completionist you are, in spite of Biowares promises of the multiplayer being completey optional in achieving the best ending).

On top of that this annoying last half hour of hobbling and talking has the abilities to skip conversation lines and saving games disabled. If you want to just reload the last save to check out the other two choices, you’ll have to suffer through the entire citadel again (cheers for Deus Ex HR for allowing to save right before the final button push!).

But the worst thing for me is, that the ending of this very emotional game had no emotional impact on me what-so-ever, except of annoying me, but I think I already mentioned being annoyed.

To make it short, the ending lacks all the things that made ME1, and 2 and even the most part of ME3 itself fun.
      It’s not so much like the endings are bad, but they stand out very much, because they can’t compare to the rest of the game (incidentially it felt a lot like the ending Knights of the Old Republic 2, though ME3 at least doesn’t feel quite as rushed and unfinished about it).

44. Turkey says:

It better cut to bioware dudes in motion tracking suits acting out the DLC scenes.

45. tetracycloide says:

You can be addicted to a certain kind of saddness
    Like resignation to the end
    Always the end
    So when we found that we could not make sense
    Well ea said that we could still be friends
    But I’ll admit that I was glad that ME was over..

46. Lemming says:

Ha! So they really are sticking to the endings that make no sense and just ‘expanding’ on them? Oh dear. I guess everyone will be happy if you get to play Joker and EDI skipping around an alien world for ten minutes, right? Right?

47. Zedek says:

I quite like Indoctrination.

48. fitzroy_doll says:

Ending talk aside (what can be said that hasn’t?) one of the things I like about Mass Effect is that the above screenshot is meaningless in my game (that’s not Shep, and Kaidan is dead).

49. Xzi says:

Based on the wording they use to describe the ‘Extended Cut,’ I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that this is going to be one of the biggest fails in video game history, building upon their already massive fail with the original ending. It’s going to go a little something like this:

Godchild is still in place, and you still select one of Deus Ex’s three endings from him. After jumping into magic space beam/grabbing quantum capacitors/blowing shit up, you’re transported to a magical space realm with an almost entirely black or white background scene. Shepard asks something stupid to himself like, “am I dreaming? What is this?” And then you have one last opportunity to talk to all the squadmates that are still alive from your playthrough. You end this sequence by talking again to godchild, and then it goes through the same ending cutscene it would have previously, with a few extra scenes of the Quarians/Krogan/Turians escaping back to their home planets or some BS. The end.

Quite frankly, I didn’t care enough about the original ending to actually take any significant action against Bioware/EA, but something like this would probably piss me off enough to change that. The ending doesn’t need ‘clarification,’ it just needs to be changed entirely. The godchild is, hands down, the dumbest piece of writing ever to come out of Bioware. And he’s there to explain to you and resolve a conflict which was never the focal point of the series.

I don’t even care all that much about getting a new ending, really. The ending was terrible, and I’m fine with that. Terrible writing happens. My only hope would have been that Bioware could admit that they fucked up. They’ve become much more of a political institution than a game developer, however, and despite the fact that their actions in creating an ‘Extended Cut’ show that they fucked up, they spout the exact opposite ad nauseum through their words. Which means that they’ve learned absolutely nothing through this whole ordeal, and we can expect much of the same low-quality work from them in the future.

EA is, of course, partially to blame as well for setting arbitrary deadlines which Bioware would have never set for themselves previous.

Comment on this story