Mass Effect 3 Resurgence DLC to Add Multiple Player Maps

By Nathan Grayson on April 7th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Yes, that’s right: multiple players. Not singular players or angular players – which are, of course, works of incredibly esoteric modern art. Mass Effect 3′s Resurgence DLC is arriving on April 10, and – somewhat amazingly – it’s totally free. For the price of nary a nickle, dime, or duplicitous Citadel store endorsement, you’ll nab two new maps, six new characters, and three new weapons. Among them are brand new races (Batarians and Geth) and a positively delightful-looking harpoon gun, which is so worth the time I spent sending complaints to the FTC attached to precision-targeted harpoons. Take the mass relay across the break for a trailer of every character, weapon, and map in action.

So right, free things. EA recently took home the crudely molded (and incredibly silly) gold for “Worst Company in America” because players got fed up with it doing the precise opposite of this, so it’s a bit uncharacteristic. Has the money-hungry hippo finally turned over a new leaf? That’s a dumb question. We have two pieces of evidence attached to one¬†game. It is kind of promising, though. There’s something to be said for goodwill, and – while I certainly don’t think everything needs to (or should) be free – it’d be nice to see big publishers view their fans as something other than plump ripe-for-the-picking money pinatas every once in a while. Just ask CD Projekt. A friendly relationship with fans is a damn powerful thing. Huge or not, publishers like EA would do well to remember that.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sivart13 says:

ME3′s multiplayer essentially follows a “freemium” business model, where the “free” is the $60 you paid for the game while the “-mium” is the $2 you pay to unlock a Spectre pack when you get tired of grinding for in-game currency.

(perhaps paymium is more appropriate)

Charging for Multiplayer DLC would fragment the playerbase which is an annoying technical challenge, so it’s worth it to them to give the new maps to everyone. I expect they’ll release tons of “free” DLC for this in the coming year.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

What kind of idiot would actually pay for the Spectre packs?

• gummibanane says:

Well, I doubt my source is correct, but i’ve read that it’s only available from 10.04. till 12.04. for free.

So, will they charge for it afterwards? Or will I not be able to download it after that date?

Can someone clarify this with a proper source?

Edit: Okay, so supposedly it will be free till 12.04.2014

Which will be around the time they release a new Mass Effect game that sadly nobody will care about anymore I guess…

• Aardvarkk says:

I’d noticed this also and I would agree that we’d better get the packs during those days. My guess is they’ll be charging for it after the 12th.

• HermitUK says:

Both this MP DLC and the ending DLC are only free for two years. Nice to see EA can’t even resist a spot of penny pinching on free content :p

That said, I’m enjoying ME3′s MP a lot, and providing some extra content for free is a nice touch. Hopefully this isn’t a one-off; the Bioware point microtransactions could work as an alternative to selling DLC map packs and splitting the playerbase.

2. Refael says:

One more reason for it being free,is the many players who actually paid for bioware points,With the dumb people who paid 200$ and came bitching about not getting wat they wanted in the forums.

Although i don’t believe anyone paid so much,theres a majority of players who “funded” this DLC,and i would like to thank them.

3. apocraphyn says:

Krogan Vanguards? Oh my. If I actually owned the game, I’d be rather interested right now.

4. Godwhacker says:

Trouble is, it does get a lot more fun once you get some decent guns and characters, which means grinding or paying, and then getting lucky. Of course, grinding would be less of an issue if there weren’t so many bloody connections problems…

5. The Godzilla Hunter says:

But. But. But.

Geth do NOT infiltrate.

6. jalf says:

Ugh, does *anyone* actually like the batarians?
    It’s the one race I felt Bioware really botched. Shame because they actually had a potentially interesting back story, but geez, a race of angry criminals who look like they were designed one night after the artists had gone home, by copy/pasting random textures together.

And now we get them in multiplayer too. Oh joy.

Ah well, having playable geth makes up for it.

7. Runs With Foxes says:

Interesting what can happen when a brand gets damaged.

8. RakeShark says:

If they don’t have any plans to put text chat in, you’d think they would put some kinda TF2/L4D shout commands to help players without a microphone, or the willingness to use that microphone with pubbies, tell their teammates basic stuff like “Abandon position!” or “Poot sentry here!” or “They’re gonna find yah all dead in the alley, with cats lickin’ at’cha!”

Then again, they might bind that to the space bar as well.

9. Althilor says:

Pretty sure a little coalesc editing will allow me to harpoon Kai Leng in the face as well, which is always a good thing.

10. terry says:

They could just chuck these maps in as SP N7 missions too, surely :(

11. El_MUERkO says:

A new enemy to fight would be nice. Also balancing the classes so soldiers don’t suck would help

• hbarsquared says:

A new enemy would liven things up. But a Turian soldier with Marksman and a Revenant assault rifle is not underpowered.

12. Jesse L says:

Excellent. I have been playing THE CRAP out of this and more maps would be nice. Although strangely I still like all the old maps just fine. And I still have six classes to unlock – I wish that process was a little less random, although, granted, the slot-machine randomness of it definitely keeps me hooked and playing.

• RakeShark says:

I’ve been taken to run around with the starter assault rifle and starter SMG on my engie now that they’re level 10. I must say for a recharge focused loadout they perform swimmingly well. The Avenger has a good “dakka dakka” feel to it as well as like a half second reload. Turns a meek engie into a death-dispensing engie.

13. soulblur says:

Honestly, complainers (terry, El_MUErkO). It’s free.You would think that they’re charging you in blood.

Free is good. Free is we’re sorry for messing you about earlier with the day 1 DLC, and thank you for buying our game. I’m willing to accept that apology.

14. iucounu says:

I really love the multiplayer, and I hate multiplayer.

Are these extra characters and weapons being unlocked for everyone, or are they just going into the various packs as new unlockables?

• Zyrusticae says:

They’re going in as unlockables, so you’ll probably have to buy Spectre packs for ‘em.

The timing’s pretty good, in my case – I’ve already maxed out all of my classes (yeah, I’ve been playing it a lot).

15. MSJ says:

God, I want to know what the firing rate of that Geth SMG. The Pulse Rifle is basically a super soaker already. Paired with cryo or distruptor ammo and given to a sentinel or infiltrator it could be insanely powerful.

16. Nevard says:

I would pay for new enemy types

17. TsunamiWombat says:

*sigh*

Alright. I’ll reinstall.

But i’m still angry about those endings.

18. Iskariot says:

I am still postponing buying ME3 until it becomes clear what kind of single player DLC Bioware is going to release. If they release game fragmenting and immersion destroying DLC like they did for ME2 I will wait until everything has landed in the bargain bin. And that coming from a guy who bought collectors editions of the first games, who bought the novels and gameguides etc. etc. I am a big fan of this franchise but I have no love for Bioware’s DLC antics.

19. diestormlie says:

Shut up and take my…

Dammit this isn’t going to work.

Comment on this story