Where’d I Go Just Now: Vidiot Game

By Nathan Grayson on April 7th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

I… I don’t… Um. OK, let me start again. Vidiot Game is far-and-away the strangest thing I’ve ever played. It’s kind of like Nintendo’s madcap WarioWare series I guess, but things just happen and the floating face asks me all these questions and I fuse with bees to gain their powers and I killed a space-time void with a backflip. Also, a three question multiple choice prompt randomly asked me where I was from, and the one non-fictional option was my actual, incredibly¬†obscure¬†hometown. So I’m pretty sure Vidiot Game is also magic. It’s a giddy, nonsensical trip through utter silliness that probably counts as a hallucinogenic drug in whatever terrifying rainbow moon dimension it’s from, but I couldn’t stop. Also, it’s free! So try it and uh… I… words and stuff. Thanks, Free Indie Games. I think.

, , , , .

1. Kollega says:

I see it from the same guys who gave us the wonderful Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden, which in turn gave us the wonderful descriptor of “post-cyberpocalypse”. That sort of explains the strangeness.

EDIT: Yeah, i’ve played it and i have no idea what the hell was that about. I guess it’s just LOLrandom humor.

2. Bo Steed says:

It doesn’t… I can’t… they aren’t… I just… they don’t… why does… what is… I don’t….

3. Anguy says:

Playing for 5 minutes made me feel about 50% dumber and 100% confused

4. dethtoll says:

i

i can’t e

can’t even HAPVAOFPAFWEFPFWEFPWOFP.

5. joncfc says:

“spastic”

Hmmm, Isn’t that word now regarded as a derogatory term for the disabled nowadays?

You joey..

• Toberoth says:

But it ALSO means: “pertaining to, of the nature of, or characterized by spasm”. Which seems about right.

• MD says:

Yep, seems okay to me when it’s used literally, which I think it was in this piece.
        If it was used as a generic ‘bad/stupid thing’ word, that’d seem really inappropriate.
        I’m not really in a position to make this sort of judgment though, just sharing how it comes across to me.

• joncfc says:

Depends if you were at a UK school in the 80′s. Have a look at the wikipedia article about it.

• MD says:

Ah okay, yeah I guess it’s one of those words that needs to be left alone entirely for a generation or two.

• Alec Meer says:

Sorry about that, one of the perils of now having cross-continental posters. Edited!

kavika says:

I’m in the US, and it never meant much to me besides being goofy and hyperactive. But I suppose it really is a slur. I’ll take note, thanks.

• Shih Tzu says:

It’s not a slur in the US, just a word that means exactly what you described, goofy and hyperactive. Americans are generally completely unaware that in UK English it’s a derogatory term for some people with disabilities. (I only know because I remember the news reports from when both Ubisoft and Nintendo wound up having to do product recalls in the UK for games that were localized in the US. The NA versions were of course left as-is, but I’m sure there were some very testy email threads between the NA and EU offices.)

But since most of the readers (and writers!) for RPS are in the UK and UK English is the house style, it’d make sense to remove the word to avoid any misconceptions. Likewise, if any of you in the UK see someone using the word but obviously writing in American English, you can rest assured they’re only using the word in the fun way and not the mean way.

• slight says:

It was actually originally a non-derogatory term for someone with a form of cerebral palsy (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic ) but it got so over-used by kids in the 70s/80s as a generic term for someone with disabilities, and more generally as a generic form of abuse, that the original usage isn’t used much any more.

It sounds like the popular use in the US is actually the same derogatory use from here but people just don’t know it, as spastic is defined the same way in US and UK dictionaries:

So I’d think twice about using it in the US too, you might say it to someone who knows what it means :)

6. Metaphorazine says:

I was certain there’d be a point to the game, but there isn’t, it just keeps going… It keeps going forever… Maybe that’s the point?

7. Anguy says:

Can you even beat one of those “minigames” where you flee from the timewarp or whatever? the 3 games I played all got so fast or difficult at some point that I failed and lost but the game kept going on afterwards with more confusing stuff.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

Yes you can, the only minigame I have no idea how to beat is the one with the directional code…

kavika says:

The directional code one is like mastermind, except even easier:

Algorithm to solve:

Enter all up.
        Enter all right, except ones that were marked correct.
        Enter all left, except ones that were marked correct.
        Enter all down, except ones that were marked correct.

You’ll beat it in 4 or less turns guaranteed.

kavika says:

It was fun for a bit. About as mind-blowing as watching cartoon network adult swim, though.

Curse of the chocolate fountain was mucho more amazing:

But I applaud the guys’ efforts. I like the theme and the discoloration/intentional blit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_blit) errors/dirty cartridge effect when you just barely squeak by a challenge like the rabid dog.

…and that one 8bit-JRPG-alike where you play the headless horse, or something. It was also reviewed on here, but I don’t remember the name.

9. frenz0rz says:

What in the world did I just play?

10. SuperNashwanPower says:

I have a headache now

11. Droopy The Dog says:

Vidiot game, underwhelming…. Link that lead me to discover “indie action”, fantastic! So thank you indirectly for that Mr. Grayson

Seriously, it’s smash bro’s starring a bunch of indie characters and it’s pretty smooth, I demand you at least watch it in action.

[Edit] Name of the game in the clip is actually “Indie Action”, co-incidentally “indie brawl” is another freeware take on smash bros where you can play as Iji. Clearly I’m in heaven.

12. ScottHarrigan says:

This definitely does remind me of Wario Ware: Smooth Moves the way that you described it. It is sort of refreshing to have games to focus on pure game play and having fun with your friends rather than attempt and fail at a story. The art style and random mini games are very amusing and encourage you to laugh with friends no matter who is winning. Are the situations in the game as random and without context as they are in Smooth Moves?

13. faelnor says:

Love this, love the variation in content but dislike the lack of variation in gameplay.
    Also now I want to play Murder Dog IV again.

14. Geen says:

What
    I don’t even
    WAT
    I accidentally my brain

15. vonkrieger says:

It’s no Revenge of the Sunfish, though it tries hard to be.

16. JademusSreg says:

The zip turned up positive results from Virustotal file scanner, so I scanned each file individually. Only two files came up positive.
    XeAudiere.dll
    VidiotGame.exe

Dunno what to make of the results, though.

• GZStorm says:

Those are false positives. Some virus scanners mark Game Maker games as false positives because the runners are compressed. Any game you download directly from gzstorm.com won’t have any virus, adware, DRM, or anything remotely like that.

• JademusSreg says:

Ah. Yes, follow-up on each of the Results indicates they are generic, nondescript warnings.

17. Onaka says:

Well done, his site is now suspended. Seems the site couldn’t handle the load.

18. .backslash says:

That was interesting. Managed to catch some fairly obscure references, (DADA/ perfect cheeseburger) and it makes me wonder whether all the other seemingly random crap wasn’t.

Also, the ending I got (I assume there’s variations) was rather underwhelming. Unless that’s part of the joke.

19. Yor Fizzlebeef says:

I have gazed into the abyss – and as it gazed back into me I could not help but to wonder: Why?

20. fart says:

I guess no one else saw the term Vidiot and remembered a horrible movie from the early 80s called Joysticks (same kind of softcore boob comedy as Porky’s etc.)

21. Nixitur says:

I just checked their site and it’s made by the same people who brought us the incredibly surreal 78641.

22. DJ Saint--Hubert says:

Hi, I did some of the tracks for this game, I’m available to do soundtracks if anyone needs them, email Ragnar372002@gmail.com

http://tindeck.com/listen/kdae here’s a sample of an idea I’m working on for somebody else