Defiance Trailer Shoots First, Leaves Us Asking Questions

By Nathan Grayson on April 10th, 2012 at 9:30 am.

HUG ME.
For those in need of a refresher: Defiance is a sci-fi shooter MMO from Trion Worlds that’s going to tie in with a Syfy television show on a weekly basis. And I think I may be one of the people in need of said refresher, because according to the trailer, Defiance is a gun game about guns and aliens and guns and that quick cut thing movie trailers use to make aliens scary – only that’s kind of hard here because the aliens are exploding into extremely dead goop. Dan’s preview from last year’s GamesCom made Trion’s latest dish sound a bit more appetizing, so I’m definitely interested in seeing big talk translate into something other than big explosions. For now, though, watch extraterrestrials catch their death of germs, water, and the odd bullet here or there or everywhere after the break.

So then, lingering questions: How – beyond throwaway mentions of our PvP accomplishments – will we be able to shape the show? Apparently we can’t go all Lord British on main characters, but can we at least, say, turn the tides of major battles or impact key plot points? Also, what happens if “LordRacismSpaceBrony12″ earns a mention on the show? Personally, there’s a part of me that’d kind of love to see Syfy embrace its sillier side (see also: Sharktopus) and make a horrific Frankenstein monster with a patchwork of Internet culture for flesh and threads of B-movie sci-fi to hold it all together. It’d almost assuredly be terrible, but honestly, I can’t imagine a more entertaining train wreck.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Muzman says:

Is it me or are half the games covered these days some sort of MMO?
    It’s taking valuable space away from indie platformers!

Seriously, this business seems in a sorry state sometimes I swear.

2. mckertis says:

This is the third game that is called simply “Defiance”. I thought USian copyright was for 70 years or something ?

• ShrikeMalakim says:

Unless I’m horribly mistaken, copyright doesn’t protect a one-word title that uses a dictionary word. Trademark might, but I think it’s rare for a trademark to be granted for a one-dictionary-word title.

3. Jac says:

Hopefully any cameos from player characters will be done in accurate fashion – I.e. Them running around on screen during conversations jumping up and down constantly and on peoples heads whilst the other characters continue to engage them as if it is perfectly normal behaviour.

4. Phantoon says:

Train wreck means ratings, Nathan.

In fact, I thought you were an American too. Don’t you know how popular Jersey Shore is (with idiots)?

5. Nevard says:

Why is that man on the quad bike driving AROUND the pedestrians rather than through them? Not very representative of how I’d play the game anyway.

6. TwwIX says:

The gameplay looks way too chaotic and disorganized.

7. Brise Bonbons says:

Oh splendid! Another upcoming game where we get to defend the futureworld against giant, generic SpaceBugs. How ever will I be able to contain my excitement? I fear it will burst forth in some sort of sticky green gloppy explosion of joy.

I only hope they will include skinny little flying bugs which need shooting; that will solidify its place among the best of all shooting games!

Comment on this story