Men Of War: Condemned Heroes Breaks Free April 12th

By Adam Smith on April 10th, 2012 at 11:30 am.

Looks a little like the Zone

Court-martialed officers are given the chance to redeem themselves by signing up to fight alongside their fellow condemned in the bloodiest battles of a bloody great war. It sounds like it could be a science fiction concept, with electrified manacles, guns that are also handcuffs and remote controlled explosive dogtags that bark out orders in the abrasive tones of an angry prison warden played by Malcolm McDowell. No such thing. Men Of War: Condemned Heroes tells the story of a soviet penal battalion during World War II. To the Eastern Front then and a slightly more unusual story of that many-storied war to discover. Trailer below, game due on April 12th.

When the music first kicks in, it sounds like the war may be fought with an indie pop extravaganza as its soundtrack. In fact, I’ve been wracking my brains to try and work out exactly which song it reminds me of. My mind, now fully wracked, whimpered that it might have been a Gorillaz track, but I’ve just flicked through my extensive collection of vinyl (Spotify) and couldn’t place it. Any ideas?

Back to the game and the horrors that our condemned heroes will be involved in.

Fight from desperate battles in 1942 in the area of Volyn in the Ukraine, to the massive operation “Bagration” in the Brest area, Magnush bridgehead and Warsaw area in Poland and finally to attacks on the German Altdam and Stettin near the end of the war.

More Men of War sounds good to me, although admittedly I didn’t attempt Vietnam, which scuppered Jim so aggressively. I hope that fighting against overwhelming odds, being sent into the worst parts of war, doesn’t mean too much perfection is required. I’m up for a severe tactical challenge but when a mission becomes more of a puzzle, with a correct solution rather than the occasional confusion and divergence of simulation, I tend to become frustrated. I’ll take a look sometime next week.

Men of War: Condemned Heroes is available through Steam on April 12th for £24.99. Preorders receive a copy of Men of War: Vietnam to bang their head against.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Jim Rossignol says:

Not had a chance to play with this yet, but should get to it later today.

2. Average Ninja says:

I really enjoy Assault Squad, but all the other MOW games seem to be nothing like it. Am I wrong?

• leeder krenon says:

Depends what you are looking for. The original Men of War has the better single player campaign missions than Assault Squad, and less good (but still great fun) multiplayer. Red Tide is good single player, as is Faces of War. Neither of those offer multi as far as I recall. Vietnam is a different kettle of fish, I hated it at first but have come round to it. It’s more like that old chestnut Commandos in some ways. Plus you get more RAMBO style missions (just a few guys against an entire company it seems) which is not exactly realistic.

• Baboonanza says:

You’re not wrong. I enjoy both styles but the ‘normal’ MoW games are generally more focused on small unit tactics and trying to keep your limited forces alive and tend to be much less forgiving than the massive Skirmish style battles of MoW:AA.

Personally I think it’s a big mistake not expanding upon MoW:AA as with some additional improvements and variety a sequal could be great success.

• Average Ninja says:

Cheers. thinking about it I think I would enjoy the small scale tactics. I like the begining of the MOW:AA maps. Perhaps some retroactive purchases are in order.

• Sassenach says:

The problem with the small scale battles is that you have to be much more careful with your valauble units, there is very little redundancy. Also what is this MoW:AA you speak of? I feel like it may have been a mistaken abbreviation of assualt squad but also that I may just be being foolish and not correctly remembered one of the iterations.

3. Phantoon says:

Bang your head against it? I thought MoW: Vietnam was really short, wasn’t it?

• leeder krenon says:

There’s not many missions in Vietnam, but they are pretty long. I have spent 4 hours with the game this weekend and only finished 2 Vietcong missions (on easy) and 1 US mission (on medium).

4. Kollega says:

Well fuck me, that sounds like something that could actually be worthwhile (if not at all pretty). This kind of humorous approach is why i read RPS. “Guns that are also handcuffs”… genius.

As for the trailer itself, i can only say that i don’t like this blood-splattered font. For some reason, it just looks stupid.

5. Baka says:

According to forum posts, it seems like they once again blocked multiplayer-mode in this overpriced missionpack.

Yes, I am being bitter about it.

6. marlin says:

0:45 seconds in – what the hell were the Germans making their half-tracks out of? Alternatively, what was in that hand-grenade????

7. tigershuffle says:

are both sides playable?!? ie a German Penal Battalion ala Sven Hassel ?

still far too much for this northern tightwad …whilst their are a plethora of decent mods for AS :)

8. Yosharian says:

They’re already releasing another one? Didn’t they just release MoW:V? Maybe they need to stop releasing endless rehashes and make a proper sequel that addresses some of the problems in the existing games…

9. Walsh says:

Knowing the difficulty of these games, the first level objective is to keep your men alive while clearing mines with their bodies. The second is frontal assault a machine gun with your barehands and maybe some sticks made to look like rifles, then micromanage recovering weapons on the field.

10. frikki says:

Rather than Gorillaz I’d say the track you’re thinking of is probably this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf4CPwBnjhE

11. Godwhacker says:

No Dirty Dozen comparison then?

Comment on this story