Ghost Recon: Future Soldier’s “Stealth” Is Technological

By Jim Rossignol on April 11th, 2012 at 5:30 pm.

And frankly pretty impressive. The first trailer for the upcoming tactical shooter shows off a bunch of the gadgets that players will have access to as they sneak and infiltrate, the best of which is clearly the quadrocopter drone (I am so buying the toy one of those for myself soon…) which can be used for scouting out enemies ahead and allowing you to plan your route. It all looks incredibly fancy too, with a lovely balance between the washed-out real-world environments and the Tron-like tech overlays. Actually paying attention to this, now. Take a look.

The beta starts April 19th, and the game is out on PC 15th June.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Rob Maguire says:

Ugh, that weapon customization interface gives me horrible Tomb Raider flashbacks. There’s a reason the radial menu died out.

That said, the drone tagging and coordinated takedowns look amazing. Definitely marking this game as one to follow.

2. Khemm says:

If you forget (difficult, I know) about the original GR, this actually looks decent. The maps seem to allow you to take out enemies in a few different ways, stealth is apparently a viable option.. oh, and that “mark&execute” system borrowed from Splinter Cell Conviction seem to work nicely considering you’re a commander of a squad. My only concern is they made it all look rather easy.
    I’m actually looking forward to it now, it has potential.

3. Musey says:

“the best of which is clearly the quadrocopter drone which can be used for scouting out enemies ahead and allowing you to plan your route”

and to deliver affordable Mexican cuisine, of course!

4. Highstorm says:

I do love me some weapon modification, mm-mm!

5. pitak89 says:

Does anyone else think the camouflage effect looks awful? It looks like a graphics glitch and I really wouldn’t want to look at that for the majority of a mission.

This reminds me of the latest Splinter Cell’s “feature” that makes the game black and white whenever you are in the dark (which, again, is the majority of the game).

• giovanni says:

I don’t mind the glitchy effect. There are other disturbances in the overlays etc., seems more realistic and interesting. And yes, the b/w shift in the last Splinter Cell was awful.

• Khemm says:

I think they wanted to make it look somewhat, um, realistic for the lack of a better word. A slight blur as opposed to total invisibility or a liquid-like camouflage.

• LTK says:

I noticed it too, but I actually like it. Most games’ cloaking effect makes it look like light just passes through you, which I’m pretty sure is impossible, but this gives the appearance of an e-ink-like pigmentation overlay which really makes you blend into your surroundings rather than making you look like you’re made of water.

• MrUnimport says:

I know the idea is to make active camouflage not look like magic transparency, but at the same time it ought to be a little bit more sophisticated than turning the soldier into a giant floating blob of colour that doesn’t match up with their surroundings and is even more visible than their regular state. Maybe something like Metal Gear Solid’s Octocamo, with textures projected onto the outside of the chap in question.

It’d also make a bit more sense if the soldiers wore some kind of coverall instead of apparently having the camouflage coating layered over every knobbly piece of kit and gear attached to their uniform, even going so far as to coat the interior of their weapon’s scope.

6. ratache says:

This is Splinter Cell with more violence. Looks splendid.

• PodX140 says:

I agree, I’m very shocked at the quality of the gameplay.

To be honest, it reminds me more of rainbow six then ghost recon or splinter cell.

7. CaspianRoach says:

Looks great and tense. I just hope it isn’t too hard to play and is suited to M+KB controlling scheme well.

8. Moni says:

I’m liking the look of it. The real question is, what will it play like on that inevitable level where they take away all your gadgets?

9. aurens says:

i love tactics and i love stealth so this is pushing all the right buttons for me. hopefully they can avoid the feeling that each fight is really just a puzzle to solve before you move on to the next arena. that was one of my issues with splinter cell conviction. it was just too transparently designed, like i could see the map triggers and the ai patrol paths in my head.

10. Jim Dandy says:

Future soldier
    Optical camo-suit
    Future soldier
    Khaki-green bag of fruit

Edit: No one wants to Boosh with me. Sad now.

11. Radiant says:

Wait is this the multiplayer ghost recon? What’s going oooooon?

12. PodX140 says:

Wow, I’m very shocked at how GOOD this actually looks! Curse you ubi with your DRM schemes, I would be tempted to buy this otherwise.

13. Enterprise2448 says:

Please tell me the PC version will have the option of FPS perspective

14. Trent Hawkins says:

And still no game has the balls to make the Chinese an enemy?

15. cassus says:

The guy animating the probe in the intro there obviously has no idea how physics work. Very glad to see the probe during gameplay works more realistically. Other than that, seems like a decent enough game.

16. nootpingu86 says:

This game will be absurdly easy. Just being able to see through walls in a stealth game will break it. I’m sure all the contards will feel tacticool though.

17. maninahat says:

Can’t say I’m tempted. Though the gun recombining feature looks cool, most of those gismos look like they’ll unbalance the game. Your characters seem to cross that fine line between powerful and over-powered. It detracts from the tension and challenge.

18. Muzman says:

It’s funny that with that much detail, the lack of specific dialogue becomes quite noticeable. I wonder what it’d take for that sort of thing to come along.

Games like this should take future political concerns into consideration too. Plots dealing with securing America’s ability to effectively achieve full spectrum dominance should include threats not just to oil but to lithium ion batteries as well.

19. Shooop says:

I also have to wonder just how any of this will be balanced. Will you be required to act like a coordinated team like the video showed to achieve that quick success or will just using the gadgets let you sleepwalk through the game?

20. shopshop1 says:

http://goshoppingo.com so cool for business and earn money

21. Wisq says:

The whole stealth field thing seems pretty redundant given all the other tech and whatnot available to you. I guess maybe they’re using it just to explain why enemies halfway across the map don’t see you when they realistically ought to (if you weren’t stealthed). Certainly the video gives absolutely no clue as to how soldiers will react when you’re stealthed in their line of sight, and that’s the critical factor that separates “stealth as safety net” from “stealth as godmode”.

22. phylum sinter says:

No beta for PC? That’s silly…

Or is it hidden somewhere else? The Ghost Recon: Online beta was kinda tricky for me to find…

23. roryok says:

I love the effect of the digital camoflage, but the way it turns off when you kill someone seems like a forced game mechanic. I mean, it works when you run around the place, why not when you grab someone?

24. grundus says:

I hope, but doubt, that this is highly customisable in terms of gameplay to the extent that the guns are… I’m assuming it has regenerative health and just less of it as the difficulty level increases, and I’m assuming you HAVE to use all the gadgets and abilities to do things properly. I want non-regenerating health, a one- or two-shot kill (for players and AI) and the ability to play through the whole game without ever being invisible or using anything but that quadcopter thing, unless the game has some sort of GR-style permanent proximity sensor and deployable motion sensor.

In short, this game does look interesting but there are so many conditionals for me to consider purchasing that I’d be surprised if it ticks all the boxes. I have given up hoping for a new take on Ghost Recon so I’m not going to judge this against it, but it would be nice if it had the option to make it harder.

On a sort of related side note, I just played the Sniper Elite 2 demo on my PS3, and the first thing you see is the difficulty menu. It’s surprising, but they actually give you the option to have gravity and wind effects, which make it a fairly challenging console game… I haven’t seen one of those for some time.

25. ekuurh says:

it actually says on the video it’s available on may 25th (not june 15th)

26. SmittyBit says:

Today must be a negativity day, whatever. If all people want to do is play ‘realistic’ war games, join the friggin army. It’s getting old.

Comment on this story