Savage: Diablo III’s Barbarian Shouts and Breaks Things

By Nathan Grayson on April 11th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

I feel like I can trust him with all my secrets.

Diablo III’s Barbarian is quite the nuanced character. His culture is… well, and then there was this exploding mountain that… OK, he kills stuff with axes big enough to be chopped down by normal axes. Also, he leaps onto his squishy loot pinata enemies like Mario if he’d been the victim of an oh-so-trendy gritty reboot. Honestly, though, Diablo isn’t really the place to live out my fantasy of Reginald Spleenfury, the exceedingly well-read and business-like barbarian who struggles to push back against a society that refuses to understand his ways – and is also largely illiterate and has yet to invent business. So I’ll probably just roll his underachieving, overkilling slacker cousin Powthwack Kabiffzott and check my brain at the door.

Diablo III, as everyone on the planet knows, is closing in on a May 15 release date. Last week, we got to meet the Demon Hunter, but will next week bring another video to whet our click-click-clicking appetites? I’m gonna go with yes. Well, unless a meteor collides with the planet, instantly yet painfully obliterating us all. Ah man, I totally just jinxed it, didn’t I? Oh, this is so awkward.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MythArcana says:

Diablo III’s Barbarian Shouts and Breaks Things? Are you sure you aren’t talking about Bobby Kotlick?

• Yor Fizzlebeef says:

Thought they were one and the same : /

• Perjoss says:

if I’m honest I’ve never seen Bob Kotick and the Diablo 3 Barbarian in the same place at the same time.

felisc says:

good old trailer. decent chunks of gameplay footage + voice over. that’s nice.

3. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Still don’t know if I’m 100% sold on the enemies flashing white when hit thing.
    Hopefully there is an option to disable it.

• f1x says:

I hope so,
      thats the only thing so far that ive seen which is a bit annoying, specially because of the atmosphere is really well created but that flashing thing is a bit.. distracting,
      but yes hopefully it can be changed or maybe in the final game is not as obvious

• MrMud says:

It irks on you a bit at the start. But to be completely honest, when you are playing you quickly forget about it.

Martel says:

Agreed, I had completely forgotten it even happened anymore.

• d32 says:

Or there will be a mod for that!

Oh, right. That’s illegal.

• f1x says:

not ilegal, just not supported because of the online “feature”, lets not be too demagogic

but if you think about WoW, Addons could be easily supported for Diablo3, as it dosnt collide with the anti-hacking (yeah bye bye Jamella lol)

4. Amun says:

It’s startling just how different the tone of this is from the original game. D1 was horror through and through, D3 looks like a neon carnival shooting gallery. =/

• Azradesh says:

I lost my rose tinted glasses, can I have yours?

• Amun says:

Diablo was (and still is) genuinely creepy. Diablo 3 appears to be “epic.”

Argue with me, please.

• Ringwraith says:

Well, the first also didn’t have respawning in single-player.
          That always makes things more tense for a start.

• Azradesh says:

Oh please, Diablo isn’t creepy in the slightest. Amnesia is creepy. You might have been scared when it came out becuase you were much younger, but if you are still creeped out by those pixels then you have other issues.

I agree that Diablo 3 isn’t creepy, but nor was Diablo 2. As for you comment to Xzi about Diablo seeming like a tell of “horror and woe”, if you played Diablo 1 well, it too is a shooting gallery.

I think the different feel might be down to the music and sound as Yor Fizzlebeef said bellow.

• gritz says:

You’re just 100% off the mark on this one. Walking into the Butcher’s lair for the first time in Diablo was creepier than just about anything in the arpg genre.

• Azradesh says:

Sure, when you were young. Still creepy? Don’t be silly.

• Answermancer says:

I found Diablo 1 creepy, but then again I was a kid.

I never found Diablo 2 the least bit creepy, and in fact the lack of atmosphere in that game made me kind of hate it for a while (but it was fun in co-op so ultimately it grew on me).

Diablo 2 was the massively successful game, much moreso than Diablo, so why you’d expect Diablo 3 to be anything like the first game confuses me.

• MrMud says:

I see you don’t mention D2 anywhere in this text. This is a good thing, because if you did I would laugh at how D2 is much more carnival colours than D3 is.

The parts of D3 that I have played (beta) are very atmospheric and much, much closer to the artistic feel of D1 than D2.

PoulWrist says:

I played Diablo 1 recently, it’s got a way different mood. And it reminds me of when I first played it after getting it for my birthday :’)

• Kdansky says:

Are we talking about the same D1/D2 with the palette-swapped enemies that frequently showed up bright pink, garish yellow or neon blue?

• Xzi says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Even as a kid I remember being high on sugar and wondering if these games were going to give me a seizure.

Diablo 1: http://imageshack.us/f/525/diablo1.jpg/

Diablo 2: http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/attachments/113396d1245390796-diablo-3-blizzard-gibt-neue-screenshots-mit-monstern-frei-shot3.jpg

Yep, no color to be found there…

Seems to me that they’ve actually made a decided effort towards creating a darker atmosphere in Diablo 3. Probably because of the fan outcry driven by nostalgia and misinformation.

• Amun says:

Sorry if I was confusing, I was talking about the atmosphere or feeling of the original vs the sequels. It appears that Diablo 3 is more focused on providing the player with infinite streams of stuff to blow up rather than a labyrinth of obscene monsters ready to kill you. Hence, D3 looks like a shooting gallery at a carnival more than a tale of horror and woe.

• Enso says:

I don’t think it’s fair or accurate to compare the atmosphere of a game you have played to one you haven’t.

• d32 says:

That’s childish, choosing the most extreme screenshots from both games. Also, Amun was talking about D1, not D2.

• f1x says:

Thats what happens when you remember old games, if you happen to play them again… you realize how they actually look aged now

I mean I’m 29 now, when I played diablo1 I was like 14 (I didnt play it straight away when it came out, perhaps 1 year after), of course it was scary, dark, etc

• Yor Fizzlebeef says:

I don’t know… I did not play the original Diablo when it came out, but actually several years after I had played Diablo 2 and I agree on the different mood that the first one sets. However, I think that has mostly to do with the music and sound design rather than graphics design. The music in the first one is just so deliciously… satanic?

Hanban says:

I remember playing the demo where you got to fight the Butcher. His room was not tidy. All these naked people put on spikes. Eugh.

I also remember trying to make the pitch to my parents why I should definitely be given some extra money to buy Diablo. Since my dad’s from South America both of my parents knew it basically meant devil.

“But moooom, you KILL the demons. It’s basically a christian game!”

• Enso says:

5. TheWhippetLord says:

A barbarian hero in platemail? Heresy! A proper barbarian’s armour progression should consist entirely of gradually sturdier posing pouches.

MonkeyMonster says:

and slightly more intricate tattoos

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

A posing pouch WITH AXE BLADES ON THE OUTSIDE
      And on the inside too because he doesn’t afraid of anything.

6. UncleLou says:

I was actually surprised just how much the beta feels like Diablo, and nothing else.

Anyway, I am glad I loved the beta as much as I did. It would kill me if I was in the disappointed camp in this case.

Skeletor68 says:

Can’t wait! CE pre-ordered. Looking forward to it!

8. cpy says:

Metzeeeeen! Not him again :(

9. kikito says:

Is there an option to deactivate the “shiny particle effects”?

stahlwerk says:

The VA sounds a bit like the Pirate from Stacking. YARR!

Skeletor68 says:

Would love if we get resurrected Rakanishu and Bishibosh and other guys from D2. Loved some of the humour in it.

What part of Wirt will we find this time?

• MrMud says:

There is the corpse of Rakanishu in Den of the fallen (an early underground part in the beta).

12. stretchpuppy says:

Reginald Spleenfury, lol

13. kyrieee says:

The script for the VO is just so overwrought.
    I never imagined that I wouldn’t be excited for D3. What a strange world.

14. Weretoad says:

Judging from the comments on this article, too many people are babbies when it comes to how picky they are about this game. Good sign for Blizzard I’d say, at least people are passionate about their product.

15. Hoaxfish says:

Both these class trailers make me laugh, there’s something about the narration that makes it sound like he’s reading out of a toys catalogue.

I think its the way he details the specific mechanics (“maximum fury”) at the same time as trying to keep it “flavoured”.

16. RavenGlenn says:

Is it just me…or does the Barbarian go Super Saiyan whenever he gets angry enough? >.>

17. Greggh says:

This article made me smile :D

Thank you Mr. Grayson!