It’s (Bullet) Time For Another Max Payne 3 Trailer

By Nathan Grayson on April 12th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

No matter how he lands, it's gonna be painful. Mostly because he appears to be 20 feet in the air.
Oh to be a bullet. To exist in a momentary, frequently black-and-white world free of complications or petty concerns. Point A to point B. That’d be my entire lightning-quick existence, but I’d get to savor ever slow-mo second – probably while shouting “wheeeeeeeeeeeee!” Max Payne 3, at least, offers a glimpse into this hot leaden utopia, but at what cost? Pretty much none, as it turns out. The gore-spattered kill cam, especially, looks like a barrel of kitten giggles – which is to say, it’s a mix between Fallout 3′s VATS meets Arkham City’s end-of-brawl slobber-knockers, except you have full control over speed. Those are the things I think of when kittens giggle. Is that weird? Anyway, the excruciatingly painful wonderful trailer is after the break.

Max Payne 3′s shooting up PC on June 1 – two weeks after consoles – but making up for it by giving us 37.43 percent more graphics. Speaking personally, though, I’d prefer 200 percent less graphics. I miss Max’s old, awkwardly agonized face. It was like the Mona Lisa, but with 27 percent more art.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. PJMendes says:

Hey, stop making fun of Sam Lake’s face, it’s the only one he has!

Hopefully Max Payne 3 will fulfill my life long dream of non-lethally gunning entire mobs of enemies in the shoulder.

2. Echo Black says:

Get the drop on a bunch of bad guys, grab onto a crane and slowly swing towards them while shooting

Max seems to have stopped giving much of a fuck in his old age.

3. jaronimoe says:

that’s a lot of fancy talk for the basically the same old thing.
    but don’t get me wrong, I do like me some bullet time.

• woodsey says:

I have chuckled at a couple of the things they’ve ‘revolutionised’ which were already in Max Payne 2. A couple of videos ago they kept banging on about him being able to rotate 360 whilst on the floor.

• Dozer says:

I thought this stuff was all in the original Max Payne. I might be confusing the sniper-bullet camera with the final kill camera though.

4. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Totally peerless animation aside, I’m so sold on this I pre-ordered it retail… wait for it… Australian price. Surprisingly cheaper than on Steam.

• Average Ninja says:

Whoa, that is some commitment to the Max there.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

You have to be committed to gaming when you’re dealing with Australian prices.

• Average Ninja says:

You got to suck up the payne right?

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Vlad was right. There are no choices. Nothing but a tendered receipt. The illusion comes afterwards, when you ask ‘Why now?’ and ‘What if?’. When you look back and see the options, like importing, or steam key outfits. If you had done something differently, it wouldn’t be you. It would be someone else looking back, asking a different set of questions… not remembering postage and handling isn’t factored into the import price.

• Average Ninja says:

They were all ordered. The final mouse click was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the mouse. And then it was over. To make any kind of sense of it, I need to explain Aussie prices are ridiculous. Back to drawing board with this noir stuff.

• DarkFenix says:

Tyrone, you sir win the internet.

5. Quatlo says:

That guy’s voice. Wasn’t he in the Total Annihilation intro?

6. SirKicksalot says:

I’m slightly annoyed by the bullet trails. I like them transparent and fluid, like in The Matrix or the original FEAR, not boring white lines.

7. Gormongous says:

The bomb lives only as it is falling.

8. engion3 says:

Not “modern” or “realistic” enough.

• dsi1 says:

Bahahah what? The only unrealistic things are the health system (like every other game) and bullet time.

Reality is unrealistic I guess.

• Dervish says:

The bullets are unrealistically slow, but I suppose you can file that under “bullet time.”

• emorium says:

just as the bad guy presses the trigger, the bullet ready to exit the weapon max goes “STOP!….It’s Bullet Time!”…

at least that’s how i explain slow-moving bullets.

9. Khemm says:

I’m getting worried about proper mouse support. With the latest patch applied, Alan Wake’s mouse movement feels so precise and responsive.
    I don’t have much faith in R* delivering something equally good. In many third person games, mouse feels so “floaty”.

• Jad says:

I got to play the PC demo at PAX East and the mouse controls felt pretty good. I didn’t get to play for very long, but it really did feel close to what I remember from the original games, which is fine by me.

(Also can I just say how awesome it was that Rockstar actually had multiple platforms available for the demo at that convention? At PAX, as far as controls went, there basically were two scenarios:

1) mouse and keyboard for PC-exclusive games, or
      2) Xbox controllers

After mangling my way through both Borderlands 2 and Farcry 3 on a gamepad, it was an absolute joy to be able to quickly and accurately line up headshots with the correct input device for a shooter at the Max Payne 3 booth.)

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’ve not heard any other hands-on reports, but in one of the earlier videos they explained how they had ‘innovated’ with the controls giving you the full aiming capabiliy of FPS controls in a third-person game. (Which was exactly what MP and MP2 did, of course).

10. CaspianRoach says:

I’m in love with this animation engine.

11. Maldomel says:

And what if he drops in slo mo all the way down?

12. povu says:

The new Max face has this really strange similarity to Left4Dead 2′s Nick.

13. rockman29 says:

The only thing left is the release… can’t wait :-)

14. sephiroth says:

nice

that is all

15. Unaco says:

Looking forward to this. And that trailer is only adding to the enthusiasm.

16. DiamondDog says:

Call now and get this unbelievable offer for just $29.95!

17. Shooop says:

Finally the first game of the year that probably won’t be a let down.

18. quintesse says:

Couldn’t stand watching the video to the end. An FPS played with a controller… brrrrr :(

• Gnoupi says:

Yes,exactly. I mean, I understand that playing with a controller allows for more fluid camera movements, less “twitchy”, so it goes better for videos…

But if you’re showing Max Payne’s “elegant” killing, with bullet time, and impressive moves… it just looks a bit ridiculous to see the pointer moving that slowly towards the next target. Or worse, to see that most of the time they don’t actually point to the target, they wait for the moment in which the crosshair is on the enemy, with the jump momentum.

Don’t get me wrong, it looks great (well, mostly the animation, because the bullet time itself doesn’t feel particularly new). But seeing it played with a controller, it kinda sucks the awesomeness out of it.

• noom says:

I did laugh at the bit where it says the player has “near-complete control”.

Alternitavely, if using a mouse and keyboard, “complete control”.

19. hypercrisis says:

wow the same thing as in the other games! my mind is blown, then i realise there are people who never played them and i pity them

20. ScottHarrigan says:

The original Max Payne is one of my favorite games of all time. It has excellent game play, even despite its age it still holds up. The story telling was phenomenal without losing the Rockstar sense of humor. Even after all these years, the character and world have much more to offer. A revisit to Max Payne seems quite warranted as it looks like it kept all its style and substance. The amazing stunts, bullet time, graphics and animations don’t hurt either. Even today, the trailer for the first game still packs quite a punch, 2001 graphics and all.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

I don’t like that trailer very much. Where is the extremely civilized, monotenous voice narrating Max’s every move?

• DOLBYdigital says:

I have to agree that the original was truly amazing for me. I played it through many times and then played all the great mods millions of times. I especially like the matrix mod and another mod that added melee combat. Honestly bullet time and flying jump kicks and wall mounts are a concept that should be used more often.

However for some reason this new Max Payne video did nothing for me. Sure the animation looks sweet but something seemed lacking… Maybe its the lack of a crazy noir narrator or maybe I’m just not looking for what it offers… However if they have modding support and someone adds crazy kung-fu… I’m sold!!

21. Renfield says:

I have tried extremely hard to snub this one, due to Remedy not being involved. At this point, I just can’t.

22. Narretz says:

I hope you can turn off the final kill-cam thing. One, it takes me out of being Max, second, where is the suspense, if I know that I just killed the last dude? Maybe there is someone hiding (ok, unlikely).
    Forced bullet time is also meh, but if they don’t overdo it, it might be fine.

23. DarkFenix says:

I’d been really doubtful of this game, what with Max being replaced by Homeless Bruce Willis and all that, but seeing that trailer really makes me want the game. The animation is flawless and the wonderfully absurd gunfights are perfectly intact. I’m sold.

24. Iskariot says:

I really liked what I saw,.
    It might seem inconsequential to some, but I think the way the AI reacts to getting wounded will add a lot to the experience.
    I can only hope the levels are large, not too linear and offer some interesting choice to the player.
    And I can only hope the game lasts longer than 8 hours.
    I want at least a bare minimum of 12 hours single player gaming.
    If I get that I will buy it on the first day of release.

25. torchedEARTH says:

I can’t really comment on Max Payne 3 without gushing like a giddy school girl but when I get it I know the rest of my games will be spending a lot of time in the dark place.

26. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

I just accidentally duct-taped a hamster to my genitals.

27. YourMessageHere says:

Given how murderhappy cats are generally, I’d imagine most of what goes on in Max Payne games would be rather attractive to most cats, were they capable of dual wielding Berettas. Variable slow motion kills, however, would probably make most cats turn inside out with cutesy bloodlust/glee.

Comment on this story