Nexuiz Beta Seems Popular, New Keys On Saturday

By John Walker on April 12th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Why can't we have an arena shooter in a park?

Already out on 360 (where it’s received bewilderingly mixed reviews), arena shooter Nexuiz is due to appear on PC on the 3rd May, but the beta is on already. Keys seem to be vanishing fast, but Alienware (they distributing the beta) say another pile will be added on Saturday. This is us giving you a heads up about that.

In a slightly strange attempt to woo PC players, that seemingly disses their own 360 version, Illfonic’s creative director, Kedhrin Gonzalez said,

“PC is the home of the Arena Shooter. We’ve been working hard to make the PC version of Nexuiz the best we can, and add the features and support that the discerning PC audience expects. This Beta will help us fine tune our online service, and we hope players will have a blast with it.”

Those improvements include dedicated servers, a DX11 version of the CryEngine 3 graphics, and a new HUD. It’s also been tweaked to accommodate the precision play of the PC. You can see 12 minutes of the game in action over here.

, , , .

1. Eclipse says:

looks nice but I’m too busy playing Tribes Ascend right now :) I played the original Nexuiz long ago, it was a decent Quake 3 clone

bear912 says:

They really haven’t done a good job explaining why I should play this instead of Warsow, to be honest…

• pierow says:

I was able to play it for a bit at pax east and there really isn’t. The game didn’t seem to have skilled movement other than a double jump modifier that temporarily happens. The modifiers also seem like a lot of them could be very annoying like one I saw that screwed up hit detection.

3. DevilSShadoW says:

so… unreal tournament?

4. Mr. Mister says:

From whatn Ive seen on the trailers, feels like UT3 with improved graphics and gameplay but no mod support.

Serously, I agree that UT3 was not a comercial success, and I’m not anyone to comment on the gameplay (even though I loved every single aspect of it), but UT3 ultimate use wasn’t that of a shooter: it was, for a long time and until UDK’s release, a modding sandbox. And what a sandbox it was! Hundreds and hundreds of artistic and original maps (which also served as a learning process to game design students), and a good lot of total conversion mods which have/are being/will end up as standalone games.

I proudly thank UT3 not only for what it is, but also for what it has done. Let’s make something unreal on the next contest too!

5. Shortwave says:

I can’t wait for this to release.
    Hopefully I can get into beta since work starts soon. : (

New Arena FPS with DX11 on Cryengine 3 = Sold
    Been waiting for this. Now all we need is a good Cryengine 3 war MP FPS.

Also, it seems to support LAN. >.<

6. Bungle says:

I looked up a gameplay video on YouTube and had to facepalm. It’s like gaming from the 90s but these guys are playing on gamepads and doing everything at one quarter speed. Not only has this all been done before – it was done much better the first time around.

• rareh says:

Better off playing ql, warsow, urban terror or any other quake mod.

7. max pain says:

“We’ve been working hard to make the PC version of Nexuiz the best we can”

Nexuiz was a PC game before they touched it. They consolified it (and released on consoles first) and now they’re backporting to PC..

8. duncanthrax says:

Arena Shooter. With Gamepads.

What’s next? Paddle controllers?

9. kael13 says:

Before today I didn’t know this existed. Now I need to play this game.

10. Grovy says:

I don’t understand how anyone with the inclination to play a q3-alike wouldn’t know about far better options than this but good luck to them I guess.

11. lucian says:

Perhaps it has bad reviws from people that are upset because its developers were assholes and hijacked the Nexuiz project for profit, without giving back to the community?

12. Tei says:

I preordered this thing, because wazat used to say “the world always need a good deathmach game”. And Nexuiz will be the pure form of that on 2012.

13. Strutter says:

I’m in this beta but I can’t seem to change my keybinds yet and can’t find a match either. Hope there will be a server browser instead of this “instant” matchmaking.

14. Mordsung says:

Putting this out so close to Tribes:Ascend is a bad, bad idea.

15. Phantoon says:

The hell? Alienware is publishing this?

Alienware is like the Apple of PC- overpriced, overrated, and because it’s also a poorly designed PC, overheating.