Oddworld Buzzes In With Hand of Odd

By Craig Pearson on April 13th, 2012 at 12:12 pm.

Mmm, honey
In a classic case of me not noticing what’s right in front of me, it took me at least three minutes to realise that there were bees all over the Oddworld Hand of Odd logo on the new teaser site, encasing whatever the hell that thing is in delicious honeycomb. I’ve no idea what the game will be, but it’s from Just Add Water, who ported Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath to the PC (and it ran like a flatulent donkey after a bowl of chili). The game did exist in a previous, albeit unreleased, form as an RTS on the PS2. We have footage of that below, via the documentarian device known as Youtube.

No bees there. And no odd, clockwork spiky ball either. I’m guessing it’s a bomb, but who would want a honey coated bomb? Bear hunters, maybe? I don’t want to hunt bears!

Via Digital Spy

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

AmateurScience says:

‘it ran like a flatulent donkey after a bowl of chili’

Metaphor of the day: WINNER

• MuscleHorse says:

I’m trying to work out if that’s a bad thing or not. A farting donkey would run faster through the backwind pushing it forward, shurely?

• sneetch says:

Yeah… I’m confused if that’s good or bad too, I’d imagine that the “emissions” from a flatulent donkey after a bowl of chilli would be the very definition of “smooth” and incredibly fast. Very stinky though.

• Kollega says:

Add me to the “confused” pile. I also can’t figure out if that’s supposed to be good or bad.

• Dominic White says:

Well, it WAS bad, but now it’s good. I’m not sure whether that makes the metaphor make more sense or less.

• sneetch says:

It was released in a terrible condition especially on AMD cards, I’m just glad that the metaphorical donkey seems to be getting better.

It was my favourite XBox game and I’m waiting for the HD patch before I play through it again.

• Antsy says:

My thoughts exactly. I should think things would be moving pretty fast!

• nzxnbv11 says:

http://linkee.com/4fPvix Plessiez, how do you do that form of quoting, with the big line and everything? I’ve been on a few HTML sites trying to learn how and can’t seem to find the right tags.

• John Forseti says:

*ahem* simile of the day

• Shouldbeworking says:

Obligatory (the reference is near the end, but watch the whole thing – you weren’t doing anything important anyway)

2. Flukie says:

lowprices says:

Dunno about the PC version, but the PS3 HD port was great, and allowed us the chance to see Stranger in all his Man-dog-thing beauty. Always ready for more Oddworld. Abe’s Oddysee was my favourite game, back in the day.

4. Turbobutts says:

Stranger’s Wrath was absolutely unplayable with mouse and keyboard though thanks to the Y-axis being inverted -or not so if you changed the options- in third person mode, and suddenly becoming not inverted -or inverted- when you went into that zoom mode thing. What the heck were they thinking?

• bill says:

they were thinking of the way dual analogue sticks work, i’d guess.

5. DestructibleEnvironments says:

So what if this? A new Oddworld game is coming out? More details, manperson!

Edit: I am sorry but this is very exciting!

RedViv says:

No reason to be sorry. It is exciting. Oddworld strategy, perhaps in some way close to Sacrifice? Would love that.

Rikard Peterson says:

So, is this a part of the main Oddworld series, or one of the spinoffs?

Jackablade says:

The last I heard of it, it was going to be a Facebook based strategy title. That seems likely to still be the case.

6. Kinth says:

Strangers wrath worked fine for me, used a 360 pad to play it though.

Also NEW ODDWORLD HOLY FUCK! i hope for the love of ODD (ya see what i did thar) that it isn’t an RTS just give me a 2d platformer like the original games.

Also i think that thing in the back is meant to be a beehive.

7. Pemptus says:

I wish they’d just make more of the 2D platformer-puzzle-slapping simulators like the first two Abe games. I replayed them recently and they still remain as one of the most joyous gaming experiences ever.

• tigershuffle says:

they also contained as much farting as a donkey after a bowl of chilli……which was a good thing and still amuses my 9yr old when he boots up my old orig xbox :)

• bill says:

Joyous and yet incredibly irritating and frustrating at the same time.

8. Khemm says:

Didn’t they FIX Stranger’s Wrath ages ago? I heard the “HD edition” is coming to PC too, as a free update.

RedViv says:

They did, and it is supposed to.

• Chizu says:

Still waiting on the HD update for pc. But at least its free to people already own Strangers Wrath on Steam.

• Khemm says:

I’m wondering if they’ll add the HD version to those who bought SW on GOG…

• Chizu says:

Its steam exclusive I am afraid.
          At least that is what they said in a post on the steam forums about the update.

• Prime says:

Am still waiting here too. I’ve put off playing the game to completion because I’d prefer to start over in the HD version. Still says 2-3 months after Dec 27th on the game page. Frustrating.

Hmm. I’ve just had a peep at Oddworld’s website and found this gem in the comments:

Vincent on Wednesday March, 14 at 10:16 am said:
        When is the PC HD stranger coming?

Alf on Thursday March, 15 at 10:41 am said:
        Q2 of this year.

9. Saarlaender39 says:

Well, to bee honeyst,
    to me, those look more like wasps, than bees.

• Mollusc Infestation says:

I was thinking the same thing… er i mean the same “sting”.

lowprices says:

You’re in the right place if you’re going to be a pedant. RPS is a veritable hive of them.

I think they can buzz off though.

10. Prime says:

“(and it ran like a flatulent donkey after a bowl of chili)”

Initially, it did, yes. It was a terrible launch all round. But let’s be fair to the developers who had the Oddbox problems patched back to buttery smoothness reasonably quickly. If you must bash, Craig, please at least do so fairly?

My guess for Hand of Odd is some type of management sim a la Theme Hospital or Dungeon Keeper. Or maybe more along the lines of Populous…

11. Jon Tetrino says:

If I remember correctly, one of the plans for the original Quintology was to release a kind of management/god-sim style game, where you could either live with the land as a Modukon tribe chief, or ruin it as a Glukkon corporate CEO.

Maybe this is that? Only a theory.

12. DukeOFprunes says:

The demo shows a hive of activity, can this game bee any good?

13. Plessiez says:

Can you tell me about Hand of Odd?

Hand of Odd was originally conceived and announced in the 1990s as a relatively typical RTS game, and a hugely detailed 4-inch-thick design document already exists. We will be reworking the existing designs to suit the emergent social gaming environment.

When we talk about taking inspiration from Zynga, we are talking about the ‘freemium’ business model, NOT their games. Hand of Odd will NOT be like FarmVille or CityVille. What we are saying is that it will be free to play, but there will be monetized elements. Beyond that, we can’t comment on gameplay, platforms or other details because they’re not set in stone. Hand of Odd will hopefully deliver in 2012.

I’m not sure but I think I’m a bit less excited than I was…

• JackShandy says:

Zynga’s whole thing is that their business model is inseparable from their game design – their game is carefully crafted from the ground up to make you give them money.

I’m interested in using social stuff in games, but jeeze, they’ve gotta know that you can’t say this shit.

• Prime says:

14. Sexy.KOT69 says:

Wow I never thought I’d see anything about this game again… o_o

15. Shiri says:

I don’t understand why people care if it’s in the main quintology or not. Did it make any difference? Was Stranger’s Wrath in it?

Jackablade says:

More to support the Zynga mechanics direction here from way back in April last year.

I wouldn’t despair just yet though. Apparently Lorne Lanning and Sherri McKenna are working on something pretty major called OddMobb, potentially involving games, books, board games, card games and other stuff. There was some hints about it involving a weird Second Life style MMO in a print magazine I read ages ago, but given none of that information seems to have made it online, whether there’s any truth in it is anyone’s guess.

17. TonyKebell says:

Erm, does no one else know about this? I heard tell of it about a year ago when they menton they were trying to re-release the platformers in HD. It’s still an RTS they said so, once at least, so here’s to command an army of Sligs and Slogs!

18. Shiri says:

There’s still “Hand of God.” Like…Populous or Black and White or something. That’s what it made me think of first, anyway.

19. Hairball says:

For those looking for the HD PC version.

We’re working on the PC patch right now, as a matter of fact! Not only will it feature the amazing new higher-quality characters, environments and audio, it will also solve a lot of the problems users with certain graphics cards are having. Nothing’s fallen through, and our PC-playing fans can still look forward to Stranger’s Wrath HD in the coming months.

Yours,