Wargame: European Escalation Escalates For Free

By Jim Rossignol on April 13th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

We mentioned earlier in the week how impressed we are with Wargame: European Escalation, and it is about to get better – for free! This weekend’s DLC, which already has a Steam page here, adds new skirmish AI which allows up to seven players to take on an AI-driven opponent – meaning you can play out the kind of epic co-op that made the Men Of War games so special. Then there are seven fresh multiplayer maps, of which two are “asymmetric battlefields for Attack/Defense games”. Finally there are some new tools to enhance team coordination on the battle map. And that overhaul will cost you nothing. (The game is on sale, too.) Splendid.

, , .

1. Torgen says:

Oh, shoot. I promised those guys I’d buy RUSE when the UbiDRM was taken out, and still haven’t. Any note on what DRM this has? A quick glance at the Steam page is uninformative.

• PleasingFungus says:

Starforce, unfortunately. :(

• Torgen says:

Well, shit.

• Torgen says:

Hmm, seems its more an activation limit thing than actual Starforce. This from tech support on official forum:

Yes, please run acpc.exe in order to deactivate the game.
        You have 5 activations, you can activate the game on 5 different computers.
        You can deactivate the game in order to retreive an activation and activate it on another computer (you are just restricted to 5 computers simultaneously).
        But if you need to reinstall Windows for example, this is very important to deactivate the game first in order to retreive your activation.
        For any issue with the game activation, do not hesitate to contact our technical support.

• LionsPhil says:

Well, damn. There goes my interest in it.

I was hoping this news was a free weekend to give it a spin becuase it’s been intriguing me on Steam.

• Latterman says:

IIrc the only DRM for Wargame:EE is Steam, no Starforce.

Also, if you deactivate the game before reinstalling you won’t loose one of your activations.

drewww says:

I own this on steam and I didn’t notice anything particular on the installation process. Certainly no big starforce logos or special activation systems. I suspect they don’t really need it because you have to login to their special multiplayer system on startup. I haven’t tried it without a connection – it may not work well, since there are unlocks that they presumably don’t want you cheating on – but I’d be shocked if they had DRM on top of that.

• nzxnbv11 says:

I am so going to buy this and also a copy for my friend! http://linkee.com/4fPvix

• Ultra-Humanite says:

It’s definitely not Starforce.

• SirKicksalot says:

RUSE doesn’t require permanent Internet connection. It’s a Steamworks game. UPlay is there for the social features and rewards thing, which is actually pretty cool.

• Silvermarch says:

This game isn’t published by Ubisoft and as far as I can tell there are no DRM of any kind other than Steam.

• Dominic White says:

There’s activation required for multiplayer, but you can play the game entirely offline if you want, and even unlock stuff there. I have no idea where this Starforce rumor shit came from.

2. PleasingFungus says:

Looks like it’s right around time to finally pick this up.

Of course, I just got into work…

It’s going to be a long Friday.

3. Maldomel says:

Now this is what I call a good DLC! I mean, 7 maps! For free!
    Isn’t that how it should be for all games?

• caddyB says:

It is, for the most part. Usually only the biggest franchises can pull stuff like “here’s a map for 5$ or here’s 2 hours more of the game you just bought for 10$” or the games that’s been massively popular with a low pricetag to begin with.

Most of the time developers are cool people who really like their game and want to add stuff to it at no cost, but it’s not always easy giving stuff out for free when you need to feed your families and all. It’s a fine line between being overly generous and greedy, maybe.

• Maldomel says:

From what I see, most devs are indeed making people pay for map packs. And seriously, I think that sucks. I mean, paying a bit more for a couple of hours more can be fine, as long as it’s worth the cost, but paying for maps…I don’t like that.

Plus in this particular case, they are offering maps and basically a new game mode, along with some helpful tools for players. And frankly when you compare that to CoD (I know, it is an easy example) and paying map packs…it’s not even about money anymore, it’s about pleasing your customers (I think).

4. Sweedums says:

My two housemates and I were enticed by this deal yesterday, had some fun games last night against the A.I. We all kinda suck at the moment but it seems like it will be more fun when we get to grips with it all… though i’m not sure if it will take the crown for co-op from Assault squad…

5. Tiax says:

So, no Wot I Think ? ; )

6. purdz says:

Buy it! That’s all I can say, it’s great and the new DLC makes it even better.

Check out the W:EE forums too there are loads of live streams and info on the game to help you on your way.

Also join the unofficial Rock paper shotgun team. Rock Paper Stalin!
    more info here : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?3151-Wargame-European-Escalation-unofficial-RPS-group-RockPaperStalin&highlight=stalin

7. illway says:

I recognize this game was meant for multiplayer, but how is the singleplayer? I’m not one to play RTS games but this one looks very polished and too good to pass up. Will the single-player portion of the game allow me to figure out the mechanics well enough?

• Latterman says:

It’s pleasantly difficult and you get tons of unlock stars by playing Singleplayer. The difficulty curve can be weird at times (I found the last campaign to be the easiest, but maybe that was due to my growing experience with the game) but it’s never unfair.

Plus as the new DLC has added an up to 7-player comp stomp there’s skirmish fun to be had online. We have a small but fairly activate RPS player base.

• Arclight says:

Logged in to basically say that ^. SP is good fun, and you can put a good amount of hours into it. Stars earned can be used to unlock units, which are for both SP and MP games.

• oatbag says:

FYI – the skirmish vs AI now slowly give XP as well (before the update this was not the case). Since I’m more of an SP/Skirmish kinda guy myself, this fixed the biggest problem with the game for me. I found campaign to be too tough/narrow in what will win the mission. Only a few missions are super fun to replay, some are wicked hard.

• johnnyr says:

Can you play in a skirmish solo vs the AI? Is it fun? (Like 7 AI’s and you?)

• Bobtree says:

I loved the single player campaigns. They’re tough and smartly done.

There’s only ever one AI in a solo or co-op skirmish because additional players share income and map control on a team, so you can’t play with an AI partner or against more than one.

• Dominic White says:

This also means that it’s possible for one skilled player to take down 2-4 lesser players if people end up disconnecting mid-match. Losing a teammate who was bad can be a boon, rather than a liability.

8. DaftPunk says:

I am so going to buy this and also a copy for my friend!

9. Danny252 says:

Free DLC? Isn’t that what used to be tacked on the end of a patch as “new features”?

10. Dominic White says:

The post-release support on this game has been excellent so far. Bugs identified and addressed fairly quickly, and a lot of balance tweaks and changes made, including slowing down artillery re-targetting so that it serves it’s intended purpose, instead of being able to snipe fast-moving targets.

The free DLC is just icing on the cake. And yes, while the game is multiplayer-centric, there’s no shortage of singleplayer stuff. Quite a lengthy campaign (and replayable, as bonus objectives that you missed can be completed for more unlock points) and decent skirmish AI.

It also looks great and runs amazingly well, which is a nice perk.

11. MegaPigeon says:

I’ve put in about 45 hours so far and not even touched the single player.

The weekend deal is amazing value for money. It’s one of the most accessible, balanced and entertaining RTS game’s I’ve played, and the fact it manages to be a part-simulation game as well just makes it even better.

RPS might want to do the game a favour and review it. It deserves far more praise than it currently gets.

12. Brise Bonbons says:

Bloody hell, I’ve had my eye on this since it launched, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I might just do so to reward such great post-launch support.

I just wish there weren’t so many other fascinating projects that deserve my money right now: Xenonauts, the Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun kickstarters, Grimrock (EDIT: forgot Naval War, too)… Hell, I still need to pick up Crusader Kings 2!

It is a marvelous yet frustrating time to be a PC gamer!

13. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Not that I really should be buying this but can anyone tell me if my impression that this is in a similar vein to World in Conflict is in the right ballpark? I miss WiC so much.

• Dominic White says:

It’s not really much like anything. World In Conflict has the same setting, but this is far more realistic. WiC was almost an action-RTS, where you’re micromanaging a small handfull of units at all times. This is about carefully advancing a larger, slower force while maintaining supply lines and recon.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I suppose it was more that it seemed to be focused on controlling the units you picked and using them effectively on the map and not being about a crazy base race like WiC.

14. Bobtree says:

At $24 WEE is a complete steal.

Reposting from my comment on the other article: There’s a supply/repair bug with the new patch. They made repairs slower, but did not decrease the rate of supply consumption proportionally, so units taking a long time to repair will suck up a LOT more supplies than they ought to.

Should be fixed very soon. Monday is likely.

• Torgen says:

Damn, just as I was about to fire this up in a fit of procrastination. Guess I have to write these reports after all.