Cutting Edge: New Prototype 2 Anti-Helicopter Propaganda

By Nathan Grayson on April 14th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

The natural progression for modern games: all enemies will simply be explosions.

If I’m reading Prototype 2 correctly, it’s actually an extremely subtle environmental message. I mean, just look at the evidence: main character James Heller goes out of his way time and time again to slice, dice, and skewer vehicles of all shapes and sizes. No car is safe from his bladed assault, and when helicopters try to lend their wheeled pollution-spewing compatriots a helping spritz of machine gun fire, Heller makes sky sushi out of them as well. He also sort of, you know, carves up a few people, but I’m sure it was a simple mistake. From the right angle, people do bear a striking resemblance to helicopters. Honestly, it can be kind of awkward. “Hey, Boeing AH-64 Apache,” people will call out to me on the street. “Oh, wait, I thought you were someone else. Never mind.” Now watch a very angry man slice a… wait, is that me?! No, no, just a helicopter. Phew. It’s after the break.

Prototype 2 is coming to PC on July 30 – three months after it hits consoles in, like, five seconds. It’s cool, though, because this is going to stop piracy. Forever. Turns out, a three-month delay is all it took. Gosh, thank goodness it’s such a simple and straightforward issue. I really hate shades of gray that are symptomatic of a tremendous shift in the way media is consumed and color society as we know it. So here’s a sigh of relief on that one.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. The Army of None says:

I was confused for a Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk today. It was pretty awkward all around.

2. Xan says:

The three month delay to fight piracy is a joke right? Did anyone tell the devs and publisher that will reduce their sales A LOT? Darksiders suffered from low sales because it was a year late, even though it was an awesome game.

• tmargul says:

No no no, the low sales were because of piracy, obviously they didn’t delay it enough.

• emorium says:

i honestly don’t mind a 3 month delay as long as i get it eventually. not doing like Rockstar with RDR. which hurts to this day.

3. Lande says:

Didn’t they say the reason for the delay would be announced “soon” back in February?

How hard is it to make up some bullshit line about “making it a better experience for PC players”?

4. Droopy The Dog says:

At the end of the trailer it strikes me that I’ve never before seen a game have splatters of blood fly off a recently used blade when flourished. It’s objectively gruesome but subjectively awesome!

5. Untitled says:

Look guys, the delay is important. The three months will be spent on making sure the game supports desk chairs as well as sofas.

6. Baresark says:

Haha, silly bastards. 3 month wait for less sales. I’m almost temped to wait till it releases and then buy it used for PS3, out of spite.

7. TsunamiWombat says:

3 month delay is perfect, when it comes out for 60 dollars on PC i’ll remember to get it on my console for 20 dollars or less as it will have inevitably tanked.

8. Xzi says:

The first Prototype was a huge disappointment to me. I mean, it wasn’t particularly “bad,” it was just very meh. Most fun you could have in it was just surfing on random peoples’ corpses or throwing cars at helicopters. But when it came to doing the actual missions and etc, it just felt repetitive and overly drawn-out for no particular reason.

Honestly, I haven’t seen anything to indicate that the second game is going to be any different, either. Same engine and same trailer design as the last game. But hey, you play a black guy in this one, so I guess that’s something to look forward to?

Thumbs down to you, Activision.

9. marlin says:

Rather than a 3 month wait, how about if they never release it? That should stop those pirates in their tracks……

Plus, that would remove that awkward moment for us when we have to decide wether to buy it or not PLUS it would free up RPS to review other, perhaps more worthy games.

Win/win?

10. egfsdfhfdgjh says:

==== http://www.flying4biz.com ====
    hello everyone
    if you like to order anything you like.
    More details,
    please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity;
    Service is our Lift.
    enjoy yourself.
    thank you!!
    ==== http://www.flying4biz.com ====

11. Klaus says:

A three month delay… but by then I will have read the plot and have choosen to get it later. Like Prototype, which I am playing now for the first time.

And to hell with helicopters. They’re so loud. Anyone who destroys them has my support.

12. max pain says:

Blowing up already trashed cars, how badass is that?

13. lijenstina says:

He needs to take on a SS-18 Satan. Apaches are for pus**es. :P

14. nope says:

So they spend tens of millions on an ad campaign that shows the game coming out on a certain day. Then they wait until months after everyone is done playing it to release on one platform with little-to-no fanfare. I’m no MBA, but that doesn’t seem to be a good way to make use of your advertising money.

How about a 7-day delay, so you can still strike while the ad campaign iron is hot?