The RPS Bargain Bucket: Trapped Within

By Lewie Procter on April 14th, 2012 at 12:12 pm.

Who wants to stay inside playing computer games this weekend? I sure know I do. If you want to treat yourself to a slice of digital fun for not very much money, compiled herein are this weekends finest download special offers for your appraisal. If you still want more, I continue to keep watch over the best deals in gaming across all platforms throughout the week over at SavyGamer.co.uk. Here’s your bargain bucket:

LA Noire – £3.15/€3.82/$4.99
This is ostensibly only available to citizens of the USA, but word on the street is that if you enter a USA billing address (even if it is not your own) Amazon will let you buy this from anywhere in the world. Some card issuers may charge a fee for the privilege. Here’s wot Alec thought this:

It’s not Rockstar’s strongest hour, but it is perhaps their most ambitious – and thus is one to check out, especially for the faces, dialogue and the rare chance to see a multi-million dollar budget spent on an adventure game, of all things.

LA Noire is a stylish and exceptionally clever game, but unfortunately most of that cleverness is trapped within its own head: a mad professor who becomes exasperated at his faithful assistant’s endless incorrect guesses, but who never thinks to explain how his crazy mind really works.

The Darkness II – £7.88/€9.55/$12.49
Similar to LA Noire, you’ll have to have a USA billing address on your Amazon account to buy this, although this one registers on Steam. I was rather fond of the original The Darkness, but I’ve not played this follow up yet. Luckily I know a man who has. Take it away John:

It’s a decent, if overly-busy shooter, a cacophony of gore and screaming. But it’s also a surprisingly smart take on familiar territory, with some really interesting twists. I really was only expecting brains to feature when splattered across my monitor.

More here.

The Baconing, Beat Hazard, Madballs in… Babo: Invasion, Plain Sight & Sol Survivor – £2.52/€3.06/$4
A collection of indie games bundled together for cheap. What will they think of next. This is a pay what you want deal, with a minimum of $4. These all activate on Steam, and when certain milestones are achieved, they add extra stuff to your bundle, and it looks like they’re on track to add a host of DLC for the included games soon.

Interplay Promo at GOG
Assorted games from Interplay’s back catalogue at £1.89/€2.29/$2.99 a pop. Available for cheap are the Descent games, the older Fallout games, Freespace 1 & 2, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Kingpin: Life of Crime, MDK 1+2 (although it’s not the HD version of MDK2), Messiah, Sacrifice and loads loads more. There’s probably something for everyone here, so take a good look at the list.

Deal of the week
1C Complete Pack – £17.04/€19.64/$20.92
More Russian PC gaming goodness than you can shake a stick at. Here you get all the Men of War games (except for new release Condemned Heroes), both Death to Spies games, all the King’s Bounty games, all the Alien Shooters, both NecroVision games, Pathologic, and loads loads more. All for the you might normally pay for just one game. 85 games in total, and whilst you might already own some of them, and no doubt some of them are a bit naff, it’s still incredi-value. Lots of them are individually discounted too, if you want to go à la carte.

Also of note:
Gothic Complete Pack – £9.99/€12.49/$12.49
Wargame: European Escalation – £17.99/€26.99/$23.99
Mount & Blade Collection – £6.24/€7.49/$7.49
Cargo: The Quest for Gravity – £1.89/€2.29/$2.99
Hearts of Iron III – £1.26/€1.53/$2
Serious Sam 3: BFE – £7.57/€9.18/$12. Registers on Steam.
Metro 2033 – £3.15/€3.82/$4.99. Registers on Steam.
Waves – £5.59/€6.39/$7.99. Optionally registers on Steam.
Need for Speed: Shift 2: Unleashed – £3.15/€3.82/$4.99. Optionally registers on Origin.

For a constantly updated record of all the discounted games, you can rely on SavyGamer.co.uk

1. trjp says:

Shift2 requires an EA account to work – and a word of warning, if you change your EA password(*) after you enter it into Shift2, Shift2 will fail to connect/refuse to let you play and the only solution is to wipe your savegame and start from scratch!!

There’s no way to tell it your new password – it’s mind-bogglingly stupid but that’s how it is!! Plenty of people rather upset by that so BE WARNED

(*) or they force you to – registering for KOTOR does this, for example.

• Shivoa says:

Sounds great.

Presumably you can get around this by disconnecting (or blocking with a firewall ban on the executable) and so the game doesn’t know if the password it has cached is right or wrong. Or is this a ‘must be online to start game’ DRM thing which is almost as bad as an always on DRM requirement?

• trjp says:

I just tested that idea and you can progress the single player game without a connection to Autolog – but if your password has changed, you’ll NEVER be able to reconnect to Autolog because Shift2 doesn’t have the ability to ask for a new password (astonishing cockup, really).

It strikes me that blocking online in a racing game is slightly odd tho – it seems a sizeable part of it’s raisin d’currant :) ?

It’s not just NFS which is a bit too-tied to online stuff – I picked-up a cheap copy of Flatout:UC in a Steam Sale and it’s tied into GFWL to the extent that when GFWL dropped-out last night (as it seems to do all too often) all my progress (3 wins, basically) was rinsed because I wasn’t online for it to save…

• trjp says:

and just to clarift that, if you connect to Autolog once and then change your EA password, you can’t connect again.

It doesn’t offer a password change option and it will not allow you to play your game UNLESS you disable the Internet somehow (when, instead of saying your account password is wrong, it simply fails to connect and DOES allow you to play).

It’s not brilliant…

• ascagnel says:

There is no online requirement to play the game. AutoLog is optional.

Be warned, though: the game is notoriously bad with a racing wheel. I gave up on it after trying way too many tweaks for my DFGT.

lurkalisk says:

Unfortunate, really. The game’s really quite good, if you’re the console sort, but if you prefer a wheel ,as any should, it doesn’t work all that well (or so I hear).

• trjp says:

It’s not just wheels – like it’s predecessor, controlling it with a pad requires a LOT of faffing around with the control settings (the defaults are borderline unusable – it’s like controlling a car with 2 rubber bands – it just yaws around wildly!!)

It also shares the stupidity of not being able to change the control settings in-game – you have to exit to the main menu, change stuff, reselect Career, select a race, wait for it to load, discover you’ve made things WORSE – rinse, repeat – I probably spend more time fixing the controls in the Shift games than I spent PLAYING the bloody things :)

lurkalisk says:

Well, due to my lack of a wheel at the time, I bought it for the PS3, and it works fine for me (albeit somewhat differently than others).

Also, you say you can’t change the control settings in game… Do you mean key mapping? If so, why in the world would you need to test those?

• trjp says:

I’m talking about settings like deadzone, steering/throttle/brake sensitivity etc. – all of which you have to wrestle with like mad to get something actually driveable (a difference of 1 notch on a scale of 0-100 can be meaningful).

OR you can just leave all the driving aids on and let the game drive for you – which is the setting that the 360/PS3 version adopts and thus why no-one really complains about that one.

The PC version offers greatly customisation and a more complex driving ‘simulation’ mode tho – it’s just a total twat to setup so that it’s actually playable (ideally you’d even want to change the settings for some cars specifically but that’s just not practical because it’s such a fart around).

• LionsPhil says:

That’s just special.

• Godwhacker says:

If only it were possible to buy games over the Internet without all this palaver…

2. SiHy_ says:

That’s one good old sale at GOG.

• DirtGunfrey says:

Sacrifice for 2.99. Nice.

Where’s the Sacrifice 2 Kickstarter, already?

• Guvornator says:

The original works fine in Vista, assuming you ignore the utterly horrible controls. That did it for pampered me, although I loved it back in the day. If they did Kickstart it, I’d slip ‘em a tenner…

To be honest, the games I went straight for were the terrific Conflict Freespace series and the utterly ignored Shogo: MAD which is full of win (apart from the rather misogynistic ending). Oh, and it’s got a little nod to FEAR in there as well.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Who owns the rights to Sacrifice now? Did Interplay shed them when they got rid of Fallout or is it still theirs?

Rates alongside Hostile Waters, Startopia and Giants:CK as one of those great games from that time which sold poorly and sealed gaming fate by making sure the decade that followed consisted entirely of brown shooters.

• LionsPhil says:

I wonder how many people decided to say “thank you” for free Fallout 1 by buying Fallout 2 to go with it, and are now feeling a little bit slapped in the face that it’s gone on sale just days after.

• jalf says:

Er… Hopefully not many. That’s about the most contrived excuse for being angry in the long and sad history of contrived excuses for being angry.

• LionsPhil says:

Never underestimate the ability of the Internet to get mad.

Or the British to be slightly miffed.

oceanclub says:

I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHY I’M ANGRY ANYMORE.

• Phantoon says:

BECAUSE YOU DO NOT YET OWN DESCENT 1 AND 2.

• Jimbo says:

I DON’T KNOW WHAT WE’RE YELLING ABOUT!

DrScuttles says:

JUST KEEP SHOUTING UNTIL EITHER SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR WERNER HERZOG MAKES A FILM EXAMINING THE ANGER IN MEN’S HEARTS THAT CAUSES THEM TO SHOUT FOR DAYS ON END.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

SO… MUCH… UNDIRECTED… RAAAAAAGE!

• ChiefOfBeef says:

I just heard Bobby Kotick has been given eternal life after some priests of a vague far eastern religion proclaimed him to be a ‘chosen one’.

• JackShandy says:

You mean I could have gotten Fallout 2 for 3 dollars less? CURSE YOUR HIDE, GOG!

3. Freud says:

I bought Dungeon Siege III bundle on Impulse yesterday for $12.50. Should be decent value for 15-20 hours of somewhat flawed light RPGing.

• trjp says:

DSIII has already been released as a ‘budget’ title in the UK – it’s less than £4 ($6) on an actual disc!!

• MSJ says:

I might add that this deal is (probably) available worldwide. I can buy it here is South-East Asia. Perhaps because it is a Square Enix game.

I would also add that it requires Steam. Once you pay for the game, Impulse will e-mail the Steam codes to you.

• Blackcompany says:

We received DSIII free with my girl’s gaming rig. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the game. Granted the plot is very linear, but then, so is the Witcher 2. And no words need be spoken about what a fantastic game the latter turned out to be.

That said, DSIII has its flaws. Amongst them are a final boss fight that will make you absolutely want to tear out every scrap of your hair. (Said boss fight have a decidedly squeenix feel to it.) Overall however the game is worthwhile, and can fairly be called an RPG, I do believe, in every sense of the word.

• Jimbo says:

“Granted the plot is very linear, but then, so is the Witcher 2.”

Umm, no.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

can we agree on calling it linear in its multiple-threadedness? There’s many branches, but your keep kreeping along on them.

4. Radiant says:

The darkness II is a terrrrrrrible game.
    Holy shit.

• MSJ says:

Hahaha, I have been hearing the exact opposite, actually. Seems like it is is a beautiful and well-designed game, even if it is too short.

• Phantoon says:

It’s fine on consoles, I hear.

It’s a terrible PC game. The FOV issue is pretty glaring, not to get into the other major issues of it.

FunktionJCB says:

It is a visually beautiful game, and surprisingly well-designed, considering I wasn’t too found of Digital Extremes’ past efforts, to say the least.
        Also, story-wise, it’s one of the recent FPS I enjoyed the most. I rather liked the first game, and was expecting the worse for this sequel, considering the change of developer, graphic style and even the gameplay changes made, but I ended up really enjoying it, and like the first game I rather liked the character interaction between the main character and NPCs.

I keep hearing a few people complain the game is crap or unplayable because of its FOV, but I finished the game (twice) and never did the FOV strike me as distracting in any way. I only became aware of these complaints after finishing the game, and I sincerely don’t understand why the game was supposedly unplayable as it was before it was patched.
        But as Kill_The_Drive mentioned, a patch was released to add a few extra options, among them a FOV slider.

Regarding the short length of the game, while it is indeed true the story mode is a bit on the short side (took me 7 hours or so to finish it on the highest difficulty), the game packs up a decent amount of content that probably ends up being overlooked: there’s the Vendettas campaign (basically a 2 hour or so short side-story campaign that runs parallel to the main game, in which you control one of four different characters) that is quite fun, and there’s also a few Hitlist missions that aren’t part of either campaign, some with its own bosses. This “bonus” content is playable in co-op, which is also a plus.

The demo released doesn’t do a good job in showing the “flow” of the game. After playing it I was thinking about canceling my pre-order, since I found the demo to be quite a mess. Thankfully I didn’t, since I ended up quite enjoying the game, played it a few times already (my Steam account info clocks my total gameplay time as 20 hours) and got all 50 Steam Achievements.

• malkav11 says:

I keep hearing that “FOV makes (x game) unplayable” and have never once had a problem with any of those games, so I can only assume it’s one of those weird individual quirks like people who invert their mouse/joystick controls. Certainly it hasn’t been an issue for me with Darkness II, and the only really discernable sign that it has console roots is the way the demon arm controls work, which so far has been imprecise but said imprecision has not meaningfully impacted my enjoyment of the game.

• LionsPhil says:

For the FOV to feel “correct”, it has to match the distance from which you sit from your screen (pedantically, the angle between your eyes and the edges of your screen, so the size of said screen contributes). This is usually different between a sofa-console-and-TV setup and a desktop-PC setup. It’s not really a personal preference thing like invert-Y, although how much it bugs people obviously varies.

• Vorphalack says:

People who suffer with motion sickness tend to struggle on games with low FoV. I’m one of those people. I can try any first person game with the FoV set to 60 and I can guarantee a splitting headache within 20 minutes. Same game, FoV set to 90, no problems what so ever.

Considering how easy it is to implement a FoV slider (it’s very easy), you can understand why people get angry at devs who just don’t bother. Even people who don’t get motion sick will benafit from having wider FoV on the PC, as it simpley lets you see more of the game world. The only reason consoles set it so low is becasue the hardware in the PS3 / 360 is years out of date, and they need a way to render less on screen to maintain graphical progression. So yeah, low FoV may not make the game unplayable for most people, but it’s never a good thing.

• dudesaidwot says:

@Vorphalack – Thanks for explaining that. I wondered why I felt nauseaus playing Alan Wake, apart from the so-so writing : P Anyway i adjusted the FOV slider to give a wider viewing angle and I felt a lot better.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Well, it’s a bit of both of what Lion’s Phil and Vorphalack said. The “optimal” FoV is usually determined using distance from the screen. Obviously, this varies massively between PC and TV. I don’t know many people who sit within 2 feet of their TV, but I sit about 20″-24″ from my old, heavy Viewsonic P810. There is also a large disconnect from resolutions on PC vs consoles. Most people I know play at 720 or lower for console. I run at 1600×1200.

Because of higher FoV, you see more of the world represented on the screen. It will also make objects smaller. Great for PC, but bad for consoles. You don’t want your models and objects being squished up just so the player can see more of the environment, especially with the console’s limited screen space. If I need to lean in to see something, I can do so to great effect on PC. Not so much on the couch. You also have to render less objects with a lower FoV, making a game, generally, less hardware intensive.

The problem mainly stems from porting. FoV wasn’t a problem way back when. The understood FoV for a PC game is 80-100. Most games default to 90. Quake, for example, is 90. Most console games are 55-65. There are rare instances where it dips lower, such as Metro 2033, which had an FoV of 45. The human eye has a typical FoV of 100, but since we see with binocular vision, we actually have an effective 120-140 of focal FoV (total w/ peripheral FoV is 180).

It’s not just people with motion sickness, either. I’m fine on boats, planes, whatever, but I can’t stand a game with low FoV. It feels like I have blinders on, like I’m eternally squinting, it gives me a headache and it makes me nauseous.

Check out this pic to see a pretty good example of FoV.

• meatshit says:

It’s a wonderful narrative-driven FPS. Probably my favorite since the last HL2 episode.

• bigstupidjellyfish says:

I’d say the mechanics were a lot of fun, and I definitely enjoyed the experience overall, but the writing is such absolute shit it’s a little embarrassing to play. Jackie is written like what a 12-year-old thinks is cool. In the original game I came up with a pet theory that Jackie was actually psychotic and all the gruesome violence he attributed to “the darkness” was just his childish vision of himself as a brooding, superpowered antihero. The Darkness II toyed with validating this theory, and then took a shit on it and said “haha nope it’s really all this dumb”

5. Navagon says:

Real Warfare 2 is something of a highlight of the 1C collection. Definitely pretty incredible value though, no matter what games you get it for. Watch out for the Starforce DRM though. You will need to go looking on certain sites for certain fixes for that problem.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Holy Backlog, Batman, that is a long list of great games for a massively low price.

• Navagon says:

I know! My backlog is already crazy, but who could say no to this?

aego says:

On Amazon there’s also Crusader Kings II for $17.99, which registers on Steam.

• pkdawson says:

Thanks! I’ve been eyeing Crusader Kings II hungrily and waiting for a sale, and that’s a significant one. Amazon gives you a key that activates on Steam, so you don’t even have to download anything from them.

• sinister agent says:

I too have been lurking suspiciously, waiting for a deal like this. I thank you, then scuttle off creepily into the night, like a toad crudely stapled onto the legs of a rat.

Edit: Appears to be US-only. Back I go.

aego says:

Actually you can simply use any US address, as long as your credit card works for international transactions ;)

• Mctittles says:

There is as well The Saboteur on sale on Amazon, which I have been wanting to get for awhile myself.

7. BarneyL says:

There’s a load of good deals over on Green Man Gamingat the moment:
    GTA4 Episodes for £3.74
    75% off everything Mount and Blade related (you can even trade some of these back in for credit when you’re done with them)
    Zeno CLash for £3.19
    Civ 5 for £4.99

They seem to be adding offers daily so it’s worth checking out unless you hold some unexplained grudge against the owners and hate bargains.

lurkalisk says:

I suppose it’s a good thing someone always posts GMG deals. But then again, I do trust lewie and that upon which he insists… Damnit, LP!

• rareh says:

I never had any problem with GMG,their client is stable and there was even a game that was more buggy then i expected and they immediately offered a refund.
        Possibly one of the better experiences in terms of DD services.

• BarneyL says:

If Lewie does have a genuine reason then he should share it with us because right now no one knows what his problem is (not even GMG do goingon posts they’ve made here). Even better get someone to investigate, I can suggest a decent PC gaming site that does a lot of good work reporting on the abuses within the field.
        Right now all we know of his views are from the childish rant he posted the week they launched and then subsequent silence. Perhaps it’s time for him to swallow his pride and accept that GMG isn’t so bad after all.

• Jimbo says:

I tried buying something from GMG the other day and it was just a pain in the ass. Tried paying with Paypal and that ‘failed to redirect’ back to the site or some such, then the same thing trying debit card payment. Gave up and got it from Gamersgate instead.

• Mattressi says:

Be glad that you didn’t buy it. I’ve tried multiple times to download the game I got from GMG and every single time, their installer has downloaded at a maximum of 100 kb/s, but usually around 10 – 50 kb/s. THEN, once it’s downloaded, every single time I’d try to install the game and it would say that the file is corrupt. In the end I gave up, torrented the game and input the CD key I got from GMG. That seemed to work, but it’s way too much hassle for me to ever consider buying from them again.

Plus I hate that you have to sign in every so often otherwise your games lock up and become unplayable. It’s like Steam’s offline mode, but it only works for a few days/weeks (I don’t remember how long because THEY DON’T TELL YOU UNTIL IT HAPPENS).

In short: I hate GMG.

8. Heliocentric says:

1C Complete Pack is cheaper from the “.com” site if you know how to buy from there.

9. Sirico says:

For anyone wanting to skip Gothic 4 save some money and get the Universe Edition

• codename_bloodfist says:

You can also safely skip Gothic 3. G1, G2, G2:NotR, Risen. Ignore the rest.

• InternetBatman says:

It’s ridiculous that the addition of by far the worst games in the bunch double the price of the package. Gothic 3 is amusing is flawed.

• Avish says:

I’m playing Gothic 4 at the moment and I have to say that it’s better than I thought.
      It’s not the sandbox bonanza of previous Gothic games, but quite a fun ARPG, with nice places to explore, amazing lighting effects and an OKish story ( a few bright moments here and there and plenty of silly plot doors).

I think it’s worth the extra bucks, if that’s what you’re looking for.

10. malkav11 says:

The 1C bundle really is the deal of all deals this week. At US pricing it works out to something like 25 cents per game, and there’s enough variety and quality in there that there should be something to please everyone unless they simply can’t stand Russian gaming.

• Unfair says:

Does it all download with one installer? That was what held me back – I didn’t want to pay $20 to find out I’d have to download 80+ individual installers.

• sacred_flame101 says:

They are all separate downloads like most gamersgate packs I have bought

• arccos says:

They are all separate installers, and I don’t think GG has any sort of downloading tool, unfortunately.

If it’s important to you, you should also know that many of the installers are not that portable/archivable, either. The installer you download in turn downloads the game to a temp folder, which it installs from. I’m not sure why they do that.

• Necroscope says:

I found this to be somewhat bemusing. Only the DRM free games seem to be suitable for archiving. However a potential saving grace involves the filesizes of items of this bundle in that they’re all relatively small. Men of War for instance is 3.2gb, Men of War: Assault Squad 1.19 so that makes re-downloading not such a big hassle.

• iLag says:

the good thing about separate installers on Gamersgate is that you can also gift each of the 80+ games away if you so desire. you can do that as long as you don’t download the game or press the “show serial” button.

• Necroscope says:

There are a few inconsistencies such as Adrenalin and A-race extreme show being the same game. I’ve had trouble installing a few older games perhaps due to lack of optimisation for windows 7. Extremely minor problem in light of the fact that there some real beauties in this pack. Most of the games I’ve installed have been perfectly ok.

• Yuri says:

While I’m aching for some King’s Bounty goodness, the “copy protection” used in 1C games is an extreme turn-off for me. Securom being a minor nuisance compared to some others used in the pack. :(

11. TNG says:

Just a small note that the L.A. Noire version for sale is the more recent normal edition (sans DLC), unlike previously when the only available edition for PC was the Complete Edition. If you want the added stuff, it is an additional $11.99.

12. Unfair says:

Once again, if you want a video reviews of all the games in the Be Mine 2 indie bundle – I provide them over here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ7q66FpPgY

This one is definitely worth a look if you don’t have Killing Floor, and like co-op survival FPS

• Unfair says:

Just realized I should clarify. The bundle listed as “The Baconing, Beat Hazard, Madballs in… Babo: Invasion, Plain Sight & Sol Survivor” also includes Killing Floor if you pay $10 or more. For some reason that isn’t mentioned in the article.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I think I might be starting to catch bundle fatigue. Even with the good cause and the fair price it’s hard to get excited with I’ve already got the best of the games from other bundles.

13. alundra says:

Finally!!! Mention of Amazon’s deals!

Thanks RPS and Procter!!

14. Drinking with Skeletons says:

L.A. Noire is often written off as just a point-and-click adventure game, but people tend to overlook that it avoids a lot of the tedium that is usually associated with the genre.

It’s got tons of flaws, but it’s worth pointing out.

• MSJ says:

It also features Brandon Keener, the voice of Garrus from the Mass Effect games, in another law enforcement role.

• Caleb367 says:

Brandon Keener voiced also Tobias, the badass pot-head helicopter pilot-plus-homie from Saints Row 2.

• trjp says:

If you take LA Noire as a story you’re sort-of part of, it’s a fine piece of gaming.

If you pay attention to the detective aspect of it tho, it falls apart pretty quickly. The interview system is bloody stupid (it’s basically guesswork – backed-up with a system for giving you more guesses) and it’s quite possible to have people talk to you about stuff you’ve not done/places you’ve never been to the extent your head may explode.

Lovely idea but the core mechanics are laughably shit – almost entertainingly so!!

• stupid_mcgee says:

I dunno. I found the interview system to be pretty easy. If they’re most likely telling the truth, then it’s “truth.” If they’re lying, but you don’t have evidence, then it’s “doubt.” If you have evidence, it’s “lie” and then pick the evidence to show they’re lying.

LA Noire isn’t perfect, but it is a damn fun game and rather entertaining. It really does play out like a cheesy TV series and the face capturing provides for some pretty awesome visuals. Yeah, there’s some issues with the “flow” of some of the cases, but the whole of the game is pretty impressive, IMO. I don’t regret paying near full price at all.

I would say, at the least, it’s worth a glance. It does provide a pretty unique experience. If you like adventure games and detective series, you’ll probably find another layer of charm.

• JackShandy says:

Doesn’t LA noire involve a lot of picking up and rotating random, irrelevant objects?

• arccos says:

All part of its charm. He’s so damn serious about twisting those bottles and cigarette butts, it stays pretty amusing.

It plays like some half-garbage television series that has a cult following. It’s brilliant if you approach it with the right mindset.

• trjp says:

That – it’s a cult TV series which you just happen to have a bit of control over.

If you accept that your character is a psychotic idiot and that you’re surrounded with people trying to drive you insane, you’ll have a whale of a time.

If you take it seriously. you won’t get past the first 2 hours before you just uninstall it and bang your head on the desk.

• Xocrates says:

Treating L.A. Noire like a TV series, and play each case on different days/weeks is the only way the game is even remotely tolerable for long stretches. Of course, you’ll still have to deal with the Homicide desk which is the second of four and is utterly rubbish.

It’s really not a game I would recommend as anything other than a curiosity.

• trjp says:

I don’t think it’s quite that bad – if you play along and don’t expect much in the ‘detecting’ stuff it’s entertaining enough – and some of the face capture stuff is really great (and other bits are awful).

It’s ironic that they decided to make a detective game and so spent a fortune on face capture and hiring proper actors you’d recognise but then made the actual interview/detection system out of tape and rubberbands thos isn’t it?

It’s like deciding to make a racing game and spending all your money on pit girls…

• woodsey says:

Tedium was about all I experienced during my play time. It[‘sugly (I mean, hideously ugly), with bad writing, an awful interrogation system, and it’s barely describable as noir (although I only could only tolerate getting most of the way through the first desk).

Anything and everything that could be done to make the experience unpleasant (whilst still playable) is pretty much done.

Interesting concept, horrendous execution.

15. woodsey says:

The Darkness 2 is incredibly short (single-player lasted me just over 5 hours), but at that price it is very much worth it.

Oh, and it’s got FOV options now – people will probably want to max it but I found it comfortable (and I have a fairly low tolerance of small FOVs).

16. _PixelNinja says:

Let us not forget the weekend deal over at Gamersgate on Alan Wake:

- The standard edition is €18.73 / $20.07 / £15.38.
    - The Collectors Edition is €21.43 / $23.44 / £18.08.

17. Avish says:

Regarding Amazon:
    It’s seems that you can buy the game with a US address but you can’t download it from outside the US.
    That’s the official reply I got from Amazon tech support, after failing to download LA Noire (even got a refund).

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I can’t say 100% since I’m in the US but I know it’s been mentioned in bargain buckets past that those outside the US can buy steam activated games off amazon though since you just need the code but don’t quote me on that.

18. chuckles73 says:

Gothic Complete Pack is $50 through that link.

JoeyJungle says:

It was the daily deal on steam yesterday, so the price changed since the original post

19. kud13 says:

wait, Interplay made M.A.X?

M.A.X. HAD A SEQUEL???????????

*open floodgates for repressed memories*
    oh my god, M.A.X, the only RTS i’ve ever played, where I couldn’t even beat the first campaign mission. The game was brutal, inhumanly so. the difficulty was unforgiving, and the complexity dumbfounding.

it takes a special kind of sick twisted masochistic soul to play this….. now where is that “buy” button?

20. trjp says:

Just spotted this deal at GetGames for Oil Rush

I’ve been sort-of-interested in this but it was a BIT too much to drop the cash on without a demo or other motivation – anyone care to speak-up for it now it’s <£6?? :)

21. ScottHarrigan says:

The number of good DLC games has been increasing at a steady pace. Many of these games are only around ten dollars and offer enjoyment worth every penny. Outland was an incredible game that was a cheap DLC title and it impressed on all levels. Gorgeous design, fluid controls, great story telling and interesting puzzles make this game a budget winner.

• InternetBatman says:

Spambot. Advertising a game that’s not even on PC at that.

22. egfsdfhfdgjh says:

==== http://www.flying4biz.com ====
    hello everyone
    if you like to order anything you like.
    More details,