Exactly What It Sounds Like: Minecraft DOTA

By Nathan Grayson on April 16th, 2012 at 9:20 pm.

Well now, this is quite the thing. In its never-ending march to assimilate all the games, Minecraft has turned its gaping, block-toothed maw on DOTA. The resulting map (no mods required, amazingly) has it all: towers to defend, a colorful assortment of creep(er)s, and the single most overblown trailer soundtrack you’ll ever hear. The mere act of its war drums caressing my ear drums transformed my arms into swords and my legs into chain flails. I really wish it would’ve been the other way around, as I’m now functionally immobile. Anyway, you’ll find the absurdly impressive trailer after the break. Fair warning: side effects may include feelings of general inadequacy and the inability to ever touch the things you love again.

Crazy, huh? You can download the full thing for yourself here. Admittedly, there are still a few kinks to work out, though. For instance, breaking even a single flower block – keeping in line with Smokey Bear’s ever-pervasive message – will end the world. Or at least potentially unbalance the game. The map’s developers are looking into a way to make blocks indestructible, which – now that I think about it – actually makes me kind of sad. I mean, what’s the point of building DOTA in Minecraft if you’re gonna pour cement into the cracks of what makes it unique? Given proper tweaking, I imagine DOTA plus underground tunneling and fortress creation could be really interesting. Even if typical matches would probably last upwards of 12 hours.

But then, I can’t stay too upset with something that bills “BUY WOLVES” as one of its central features for too long.

, , .

1. PacketOfCrisps says:

I foresee lag, lots and lots of lag.

2. westyfield says:

A friend told me of a Minecraft game-mode based on The Hunger Games. You get spawned at a random location within a circle with a diameter of one thousand-blocks (or so), and are given some basic equipment. Better weapons, armour, food etc. are scattered randomly around. Last one standing wins. Don’t eat the berries.

It’s kinda amazing what you can do within Minecraft, I should really look into this sort of thing more.

Carra says:

Even more sales for Notch!

• Maldomel says:

As if everybody hadn’t got a minecraft copy yet!

Bluerps says:

You could buy a second one, just in case.

• Carwash says:

I don’t have Minecraft, nor do I plan on getting it ¬_¬

• Pugiron says:

points at Carwash and laughs!

Thanks for warning us about what type of person you are, Carwash.

4. Walsh says:

Based upon the trailer, I don’t see how this is related to DOTA. It looks more like some kind Defend the Castle Team DM.

• Douchetoevsky says:

Lanes + creeps + towers = Dota. Of course it’s not exactly like Dota, because it’s Minecraft. It actually seems more similar to League of Legends, what with the jungle buffs. But oh well, it still looks cool.

5. Waltorious says:

This music was in another game trailer, but I can’t remember which one. Anyone else know?

6. Maldomel says:

That’s looks neat. I guess Minecraft can be used to recreate all games as you said, with a bit of tweaking and some imagination.

7. Jarenth says:

Wait, ‘the other way around’? You want the mere act of its war drums to transform your swords into arms and your chain flails into legs?

That sounds terribly inconvenient for warfare.

8. Arca says:

Making minecraft fun to play again.

9. Tei says:

The idea can be good, but… is the implementation good? I don’t see the need for rubystone (or whatever is called) wen you can program the server to do anything.

• AlexHeartnet says:

Programming the server would involve actual modding. But Redstone is flexible enough for pretty much any scripting map designers can come up with, and a lot of players have become really good with it, so that gets used instead.

10. Dingsey says:

Seriously it seems RPS post anything remotely minecraft/Notch related and its just a bit tedious now.

Ok I’m mainly grumbling because Notch/minecraft gets so much coverage yet Dwarf Fortress hardly gets any what so ever even with numerous updates throughout march, and its free…

JB says:

Phew! For a moment there I thought we were going to make it through without one of these posts.

• Dingsey says:

Hahaha fair play, I do hate to moan and I do think its good that an indie developer/game gets such a large amount of coverage, I’m just surprised that DF doesn’t really get any at all!

JB says:

Then fair play to you too, sir. Instead of bemoaning the presence of Minecraft/Notch-related articles, have you tried emailing the hivemind and telling them you’d like to see more on DF – “There’s this great new update that you might not know about” etc?

Disclaimer: I like DF. I also like playing/reading about Minecraft.

• Dingsey says:

Hmm I hadn’t thought of that, something I’ll bear in mind. I doff my hat to you good sir!

I hope you continue to enjoy playing DF and Minecraft!

• Jhoosier says:

I’d just like to say that this conversation made me happy.

JB says:

I’d just like to say Jhoosier, why don’t we see you on the uRPS Minecraft server any more? ;)

• Davie says:

Conflict resolution on the internet! That was beautiful, if highly unlikely.

• One Pigeon says:

Conflict resolution? Never!
            I disagree with you all and think your definition of an RPG is wrong.

11. Syra says:

I had a good lol at the spam one button combat of it all.

So basically, as bad as actual dota then.

12. marcusfell says:

Isn’t DotA (Defense of the Achients) just a shining example of the genre, which is MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena)?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

The only game that call itself MOBA is League of Legends (and that shitty one from Petroglyph). It’s a marketing thing.

The term Wikipedia uses is action-RTS, which is a bit strange because I was under the impression that RTS games already contained action.

• Hoaxfish says:

I wouldn’t exactly say it’s that straight up.

DotA started it (though actually, wasn’t it some starcraft mod which DotA took from), then others copied it. So initially it was “DotA”-like, but basically everyone just said DotA (rather than Defense of the Ancients -like).

Then people hummed and hawed about it, and decided that calling them all DotA was a bit confused when one of them was actually called “DotA” (at least in short)… much like the FPS genre isn’t called “Wolfenstein 3D”(-like) or whatever.

So they tried to come up with a more general acronym. Which brought us MOBA and “Action-RTS”.

All in all, it’s just that nobody really got stuck on a universally agreed name for this baby genre, much like usb sticks, are also know as memory sticks, thumb drives, thumb sticks, flash drives, etc…

• ffs_jay says:

Action-RTS is at least better than MOBA, in that it references a defining aspect of the genre. MOBA as a term could apply to pretty much any multiplayer game, or at least any that use a combative/competitive mechanic. It’s like they put no thought into its meaning other than ‘it should stand for something that sounds cool when you explain it’.

• jon_hill987 says:

Indeed. Quake III is a Munltiplayer Online Battle Arena, in fact it fits the Arena part of that better than DotA does.

13. Urthman says:

In its never-ending march to assimilate all the games

I was honestly expecting that sentence to refer to the juggernaut of DotA games. DotA alone has almost twice as many players as people who bought Minecraft.

14. Velvetmeds says:

Two games i hate put together. Wake me from ths nightmare