Come To Rezzed, The PC Show We’re Helping Out With

By Alec Meer on April 17th, 2012 at 10:40 am.

Yes, I am pushing for the afterparty to be called 'Derezzed'

The problem with game shows and conferences is they’re so console-dominated – while PC games are there, they’re often lost behind all those Cliffy Molyneuxs and Medal of Duties. Hurrah then for Rezzed, which is taking place in the splendid seaside city (and my current home) of Brighton, UK this July. It’s a new PC and indie-only show arranged by the goodly folk at Eurogamer – with a big fat helping hand or six from the extra-goodly folk at Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

We’ll be doing stuff like co-curating an indie games showcase known as the Leftfeld Collection, arranging some talks, events and social thingers, hopefully a boardgame corner and making sure they don’t accidentally include any Zelda games. More to come on that side of things soon.

Also planned for Rezzed are tournaments for games old and new (Quake will NEVER DIE), talks from devs including The Creative Assembly and Indie Stone (with many more to be confirmed), assorted playable upcomers on the show floor (such as Aliens: Colonial Marines), pop-up shops for hardware, software and boardgames, and a great view of what’s increasingly Brighton’s most famous landmark – the epic, disintegrating husk of the burned-down West Pier.

Photographer: Les Chatfield

Far more fulsome details will emerge closer to the time, but the major facts are these: Friday 6th and Saturday 7th July 2012 at the Brighton Centre, and tickets are on sale now, priced £12 for one day or £20 for a two-day ticket. More details can be found on Rezzed’s book of faces page.

More soon!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. RockandGrohl says:

Spruce, if you’re reading this, you’re a comin’ with me boy. Should make up for wussing out of Gamescom.

It’s about time there was a more PC-focused convention! I’ve always wanted to be the head of an organization that hosted lots of PC-events. Get the word out!

2. mentor07825 says:

I’ll be done by college at that time. Hopefully I’ll be able to make the cash to go then!

3. CMaster says:

It sounds great, and Brighton is a lovely town.
    But it sure is a long way away, for an awful lot of the population (including me)

Also, it’s kind of funny to see Sega as a champion of PC, how times change. (Although to be fair, Sega were doing PC ports back when they had their own consoles even)

4. John Brindle says:

Brighton is the best. I’ll be there!

5. Meat Circus says:

Your payments confirmation pages is ALL BREAKY.

I think I am coming, but now I may never know. Anyone recommend a good guesthouse?

6. Maldomel says:

I’d love to come, and for once I could probably (if Brighton is where I think it is).

• Meat Circus says:

Brighton is never where you think it is. Its location is spatially chaotic and only temporally accessible the last 3.6 days of the lunar month.

• Mirqy says:

I keep trying to get there and ending up in Brigadoon instead.

7. Chris Evans says:

Time off work is already booked in, and it isn’t at that time! Damn =[ Would love to attend!

8. Baboonanza says:

Great idea having it in Brighton, I’ll be able to persuade the missus to come too!

9. Sarigs says:

This is awesome news, I’m a Hastings lad myself but work out of Brighton so wouldn’t miss it for the world!

• rivalin says:

Ha, locals! just moved from brighton to eastbourne myself. Funny to think there’s such a concentration of readers (and writers) in the area when this is the biggest pc gaming site on the whole internet.

• Sarigs says:

Ah not far a jaunt at all for ya then. If theirs many locals going we should arrange to meet up there or some such!

10. AmateurScience says:

Mein Got even the hostels are pricey. Anyone got a line on decent accommodation? What are the buses like? Is something a bit further out a viable alternative? QUESTIONS ABOUT BRIGHTON!

• Sue de Nimes says:

I live in Brighton and can give some advice on accommodation etc.

Brighton is very well served by public transport. The walk from the Brighton Centre to the train station is about 10-15mins. There are buses that run all through Brighton – you can get a day pass for the buses for about £3.50 from most newsagents. Buses are frequent and have electronic runner boards showing when the next bus will be arriving.

If you really want to save money on accomodation you might look a little bit further out and could even consider places like Lewes or Haywards Heath which have good train connections. Just make sure you are close to the station in those towns.

I would really recommend staying in Brighton itself – the money you will save won’t be that much.

• tinners says:

You could try uni accomodation. Sussex and Brighton Unis both have accomodation for hire over the summer, looks pretty cheap too http://www.sussex.ac.uk/conferences/accommodation

11. Alexander Norris says:

Bollocks to Brighton! If this’d been in London I’d've come.

Mind you, I wonder how much it would cost me to commute there and back for two days…

• John Brindle says:

Slightly less than £10/day if you book wisely, in advance, and online with Southern Railways.

• Alexander Norris says:

Yeah, it’s cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

Fortunately, I’ve gotten someone to drive there anyway, so I’ll be coming the Saturday. Which does mean I’ll be missing drinks on Friday, though. :(

• DrScuttles says:

Aye, if it was in London I’d be right there. But I guess Brighton isn’t all that far away (hour on the train? From memory it takes about 90 minutes from Paddington to Bath and Brighton’s closer)
      And I do recall setting off to Southend from Muswell Hill after finishing work at 11:30pm to have an impromptu, hour-long holiday, so going to Brighton for an actual reason seems rather sensible to me.

• Tams80 says:

*shakes fist*

Bloody Southerners complaining about such a short distance. It’s an hour due south and will cost you next to nothing. AN HOUR! You have no right to complain!

• phuzz says:

I was about to complain about how difficult it is to get the train from Bristol to Brighton (either take several local trains or go through London), but then I drove all the way to Glasgow just to see Orbital play the other week so I guess I could manage it.

12. phenom_x8 says:

All of you are goin’ crazy, guys!
    First of all you’ve been set up your own media, then your own game studio (Jim, that’s you!) and now your own game show?? Whats next? Maybe your own game store! Its just going too far!!

• drdss says:

Possibly they need to start a web comic, and a kid’s charity. And hold a convention in another part of the country for people that live in not-London.

13. simoroth says:

Seems like Mode 7 will be popping down for this. I’m going to end up spending the best part of a week in Brighton!

14. Valvarexart says:

I live in Sweden, and this would seem like quite a splendid idea. We shall see what airplane tickets are priced at!

• Meat Circus says:

You want to be flying to London Gatwick airport, as that’s very close to Brighton by train.

• Valvarexart says:

My thanks. I know some people who live in St Albans, so I will probably visit them before or after if I do decide to visit this event.

15. Gap Gen says:

Typo: Cretive.

16. MadTinkerer says:

“making sure they don’t accidentally include any Zelda games”

Yeah, take THAT, Zelda! Mario and Sonic are cool though, because there were a bunch of Mario DOS games and Sega re-ports all the Sonic games every time Microsoft bring out a new Windows.

Also: Atari, Taito, Capcom, and Square Enix are all welcome. But not Microsoft, because they never gave us Halo 3 PC or Halo Reach PC. And also because of GFWL.

17. Jams O'Donnell says:

Always in the bloody south grumble grumble.

18. Excelle says:

Gah, these cons keep getting further and further away from me. I can just about justify the 150 miles drive to London for Eurogamer (given I can get accomodation with a friend there), but all the way to Brighton and then accomodation on top of that? Probably not going to fly. I suppose at least I have Insomnia LAN to go to in a few weeks – I can walk to that one!

Looking forward to the new 2013 con based on a boat in the English Channel ;)

• Sarigs says:

You joke but if there was a actual Con on a ferry, I’d be all over it!

19. DeanLearner says:

Very tempted by this, but a little worried too. Will there be people there? Like real people?

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Don’t worry, it’ll be us gamers. No real people allowed.

20. BathroomCitizen says:

Yeah! PC shows!

21. Unaco says:

A Saturday night in Brighton? I remember reading an Article about that. Good luck.

22. fitzroy_doll says:

Cool. I might well make it for this.