Spock Ops: Star Trek Trailer Discovers Slow-Mo

By Nathan Grayson on April 17th, 2012 at 11:54 pm.

Yes, the sun's a wonderful place from a location standpoint, but the rent is outrageous.

If you want to wring maximum pleasure from this post, I suggest imagining every word coated in the tendril-like glue that is the movie/TV slow-mo deep voice sound effect. It is, after all, only fitting, given that the grand majority of the new Star Trek trailer drives well under the warp speed limit. Running, seemingly suicidal cliff diving, and a bit of covering shooting are the orders of the day here, but with the grace and poise of the creature we humans so desperately envy: the sloth. Admittedly, the whole thing looks a bit Gears-of-Star-Trek-War-ish, but well, not every game can be FTL. As is, I’m anticipating some light, easily digestible shooting action with the occasional heartwarming Kirk-Spock co-op BFF moment.  Beam past the break to watch the full trailer.

Star Trek’s looking to launch shortly before the second reboot movie drops early next year. Apparently, Spock and Kirk will pool their brains and brawn to “stop a legendary enemy race bent on conquering the galaxy.” Hardly boldly going where no game has gone before, but I’d still spend a king’s ransom on this thing if it included an unlockable William Shatner skin. Even if it was pre-order bonus.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Moni says:

Phwoar, those skin tight suits are rather fetching.

2. rockman29 says:

It looks like Mass Effect. The combat looks as dry at least.

3. RakeShark says:

Damnit Jim what the hell’s the matter with you?

4. JToTheDog says:

So… No sexy female spock?

Edit: Me cannot html good

• Wisq says:

“This video contains content from Fremantle International, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.”

• mckertis says:

“sexy female spock?”

Is that an actual clip ? Are you saying i shouldnt have dropped the show on first episode just because it was all about gays, gays, and more gays, and not about IT at all ?

• pilouuuu says:

I remember one single episode that was about watching a musical called Gay and it was full of gays, but it’s not the same in all episodes. You should give it a chance. IMHO, IT Crowd is one of the funniest things ever.

5. catmorbid says:

The title for this piece of news is awesome, made me giggle a bit. The news itself is another thing though…

6. GamerOS says:

The problem with licensed games…

I don’t have to high hopes for this movie based video game.

• mckertis says:

Elite Force was rather good. The first one, that is. The second one was pretty much a standard shooter with barely anything Star Trek except weapons. And Tuvok.

• aukondk says:

Even the weapons were only vaguely Star Trek-ish in EF2, the “Assault Rifle” AKA Phaser Shotgun stuck out as being a case of “we can’t be bothered balancing all the weapons so we’ll stick to the generic shooter loadout”.

7. Ross Mills says:

Elite Force for the new generation!

8. marcusfell says:

You can actually see the linear scripting.

In a 60 second trailer.

That’s bad.

9. pilouuuu says:

The question is… Will the ending be colourful?

10. Bhazor says:

This just makes me want the Star Trek game I’ve waited years for.
    Not a shooter.
    Not a space sim.
    Not a dating sim (unless theres one for a Picard/Sulu slash fic, that would just be adorable)

But a game where like in the show you slowly and methodically travel through space investigating strange anomolies and bargaining with stubborn aliens all with ridulous foreheads. A kind of long campaign of investigations as you travel from mission to mission and the overarcing story slowly builds as different crew members begin to interact. It’s what I desperately hoped Mass Effect would become instead of a dull sci-fi tv movie.

I am currently have hopes that Notch’s new space thingy will finally scratch this itch.

• pilouuuu says:

Those games do exist. They’re called Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites.

• TonyB says:

Indeed, and you could probably add the first TNG game, A Final Unity, to that list. None of them belong in a list of the greatest adventures of all time, but they are interesting for pretty much fitting that description, and all of them have multiple ways to solve most situations (the original series games had a slightly odd scoring system for each “episode” based on how you solved each one, and the TNG game would happily let you miss important clues in away missions and force you to work out where you needed to be next by other means – which did normally exist, it wasn’t a case of your only options being to load an earlier save or use a walkthrough).

• Ernesto says:

Agreed. Why would anybody want to make a Star Trek shooter? Star Trek was always more about exploring and diplomacy and… did I mention exploring?

11. SoggySilicon says:

I see this and think to myself… when is CDP announcing their Sci-Fi I.P? Cause really… they seem to be the only ones left with the moxy to do it without pissing rainbow nonsense onto the audience.

12. ZIGS says:

Humm, Digital Extremes, huh? Well, I did enjoy The Darkness 2 quite a bit so I’m keeping a cautious eye on this one

13. John Connor says:

KIRK,

YOU CAN DESTROY THE BORG BUT YOU WILL ALSO DESTROY THE VULCANS

YOU CAN CONTROL THE BORG BUT YOU MIGHT DIE

OR, YOU CAN MERGE EVERYONE WITH THE BORG-

What do you mean that’s what the Borg want? Look, I’m a godlike space kid, I think I know more than you do. Stop questioning me and just pick.

14. Ett_1762 says:

I think it looks awesome. :P

15. Sisco says:

This is the most unexciting trailer I have seen in quite some time.

16. Was Neurotic says:

Abrams Trek, what a fucking waste of time. Can we have some proper Star Trek please, not that rancid shite.

17. Iskariot says:

I am not dismissing this game yet. Not enough information to judge it.

• MSJ says:

What kind of shithead comment is this idiot moron making? He actually thinks we, internet people, needs more info before making judgement! Such heresy! Well I bet you are a black Asian Muslim gay jew in a wheelchair, making such logical response reeking of sense.

18. DickSocrates says:

*Cries in a corner, lamenting the death of cerebral Star Trek*

That last movie wasn’t even a good action movie and didn’t make internal logic, let alone logic within the ST canon. I’m sad that what Paramount took away from Voyager and Enterprise was ‘Start Trek is crap, we need to change it.’ No, ST isn’t crap, *those* two series were crap.

19. Radiant says:

I want to see the outtakes where they take those leaps of faiths into the great expanse and then titanic off a bunch of stuff as they tumble to the ground.

20. BlitzThose says: