The HERESY Of Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition

By Alec Meer on April 17th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Pre-order now to get this exclusive Armpit desk ornament

Quickly, someone carry me to an online petition site right away. I’d go there myself but I’m just so weak with shock. Do you know what’s happened? No, of course you don’t, you couldn’t even imagine such horror. Sit down. Hold onto something, like a pint of brandy. By God, this is even worse than when 5ive split up.

The pure, shining spirit of Baldur’s Gate is going to be tampered with by Beamdog for its Enhanced Edition. Steady, steady, it’s ok, I’ve got you.

In cold, cruel disregard for all that is right and good, they’re going to raise the level cap so that they can include a super-tough new zone. Yes, you heard me right! They’re actually going to carefully expand upon the game’s underlying roleplaying system and add brand new content.

They might even include new voice work from the original cast, even Minsc. Plus they’re replacing the old UI with a scratch-built new one that supports higher resolutions. Ew. To add insult to injury, they’re even going to improve mod support so other people can pervert BG’s innocent heart all the more.

It’s just sick. Sick! How dare they? Next you’ll be telling me they’re releasing it on Mac too.

What? No!

, , .

1. Alexander Norris says:

they’re even going to improve mod support

Oh, crap, I’d completely missed this. Now I’m going to have to buy it. Lack of WeiDU compatibility was the one thing that made me unsure about this.

2. Ross Mills says:

But they’re keeping THAC0

It’s what’s keeping me from buying this game

• Chandos says:

THAC0 is what will make me buy this game. I’ve had zero interest in D&D CRPGs since they moved on from the 2nd ed.

• Grey_Ghost says:

Ah THACØ, I remember it fondly. For some reason it’s the first thing that pops to mind whenever someone mentions the Eye of the Beholder series. It probably has to do with that eye catching bold italic font it was printed with in the manuals… THACØ

Way off topic: I wish EotB series would be remade with the visuals like a Legend of Grimrock, AD&D 2E 4LIFE!

• Mordsung says:

The difference between THAC0 vs the 3.0+ is really nothing.

Take a 3.0 and 2.0 fighter at 4th level.

One has +4 BAB, one has a THAC0 16.

Now let’s take an AC of 15 (3.0) vs 5 (the equivalent in 2.0).

Guy with THAC0 16 has to roll 11 to hit (16-5 = 11)

Guy with +4 BAB has to roll a 11(11+4=15)

Sure, the 3.0 way of doing things is better, but it’s not like THAC0 is difficult.

Edit: bunked my own math

• TheTingler says:

I’ve never found a nerdy discussion that I couldn’t at least get the gist of… before this post. Well done sir!

• TillEulenspiegel says:

but it’s not like THAC0 is difficult.

Edit: bunked my own math

lolz

But yeah, all you need to know about AC and THAC0 in a computer game is “lower is better”.

• jonfitt says:

The problem with THAC0 for me has always been about AC. Levels go up AC goes down. AC 3 is better than AC 5. All other RPG systems seem to relish in the “number goes up” mentality.
        Keeping all the numbers positive also helps things sound more impressive +21 BAB versus AC 31 sounds more impressive than THAC0 -1 vs AC -11

• Wizardry says:

Of course. In fact they are functionally the same. It’s just that it’s lower the better in 2E, which basically inverts the maths. I still don’t understand why people complain when the computer does the maths for you. One point “better” in 2E is roughly the same as one point “better” in 3E.

• Mordsung says:

Well, remember, many of us use these mechanics on the table top as well as in CRPGs.

• Wizardry says:

But this guy is saying he won’t play this video game as a result of THAC0. In other words, I understand it far less.

• jonfitt says:

Yeah, it would never stop me playing a game based upon 2nd Ed. But it is obtuse.
            I found the spell system hard to track as well. I could never tell how many spells I was going to be able to memorise at what level of spell given a level of character.
            Oh, and limiting casts of a particular spell is old school annoying. Cool downs are preferable imho.

• Ringwraith says:

However D&D isn’t balanced for cooldowns, hence the system they use.
            Magic is powerful enough already at high levels without needing to make that problem worse.

• Phantoon says:

Yeah, limited casting is the only thing that keeps spellcasters anywhere near the fighter-types. Can you imagine a sorcerer with fireball being limited to casting speed and time in between casts?

• SirDimos says:

I personally love the spell system from 2E. It allowed you to have a lot of spells that were incredibly powerful since a single point of damage would negate your casting, and you only had a limited number of spells available at a time.

It definitely gave mages the “open a can of wup-ass” feeling that I believe they deserve. Burn bright and burn hot, even if it means you burn out fast :)

The offensive spells in 3rd edition were still quite powerful, but the protective & defensive spells not so much since taking damage did not inevitably result in a casting failure.

FhnuZoag says:

Lower is better contradicts every other skill check, saving throw, and so on in the entire system. Further, it generates ambiguity with items: If I pick up a ring with +1 to armour, does that improve my armour, or make it worse?

• Jason Moyer says:

Were there any RPG’s, cRPG’s or tabletop, that didn’t use a “lower AC is better” system until the past decade? Every old school cRPG that I remember playing in addition to D&D used that system for 20+ years.

• Craig Stern says:

Man; I wish this comments thread had been around for me to link to when I wrote that article explaining why D&D’s combat system is pointlessly overcomplicated.

• Wizardry says:

Yeah. The D&D designers should take some hints from your game.

• Chris D says:

Craig, you should really throw in a link to that article now, it’s a really interesting read.

• Mordsung says:

It’s why I switched to Pathfinder (aka D&D 3.75). It’s got all the depth of 3.5 but cleans up the rules to be even simpler and effectively idiot proof.

• NathanH says:

Was that the article where you struggled with 3rd edition rules, possibly the easiest system imaginable, before linking to a review of Throne of Bhaal that contained blatant lies?

• Wizardry says:

I think it was the one where he claimed Baldur’s Gate had a party of 4 or something.

• Chris D says:

Actually it was this one , which I shall take the liberty of linking to myself, in which he does none of those things.

• NathanH says:

Reason 2, paragraph 3 he does the first thing I say.

Reason 4, paragraph 7 he does the second thing I say (going further, by writing blatant lies about Baldur’s Gate himself)

• Wizardry says:

@Chris D

Compared to Pool of Radiance, combat in Baldur’s Gate is an unpredictable mess. The tactics you can use are highly limited due to 1) the small number of characters under your control; 2) the fact that they each have only a single attack (not counting spells); 3) the awkward non-grid-based movement system; 4) the fact that enemies close distance with you almost instantaneously; and 5) the fact that you do not have direct control over your characters.

But Baldur’s Gate has the same number of party members as Pool of Radiance. Six. Okay, you can get some AI controlled mercenaries to tag along, but that doesn’t really affect tactics.

I mean, the rest of the reasons are fine. In fact, I’m usually really vocal about those other reasons, especially stuff like the lack of turn-based combat and the lack of a grid. But I’m also fair to the Infinity Engine games.

• malkav11 says:

What? 3E is by no means the most obtuse or complicated RPG system out there (I can’t be sure what is, but it’s probably something like Palladium, FATAL, or Synnibarr), but it has a shitload of moving parts and mechanics, and a ton of minmaxy number crunching potential even before you get to the thousands of supplements. There are FAR simpler RPGs out there. Stuff like Risus, or FATE, or Tri-Stat, or…

• Apolloin says:

Malkav, the system you are looking for is Traveller. Traveller is by far the most obtuse system I’ve ever seen – it was an early attempt to do Eve Online without a computer to do the maths for you.

• Slashrunner says:

As a rather avid D&D fan, or at least a regular player, this discussion and your article alone has brought me out of lurking and finally convinced me to create an account. I’m really, really sorry if this is in the wrong place or if I’ve taken this too off topic, but after reading the article I felt that these points needed to be brought to attention.
          While I do certainly agree that the D&D combat system has its faults, in reading your article I found it was inaccurate and lacking in knowledge, at least in those claims pertaining to the 3.0/3.5e tabletop game (as I am not familiar with 2e and it’s been ages since I’ve played a D&D-based videogame). Let’s take this point-by-point.

1) You claim that D&D’s combat system is bloated due to an excess of rules and content. While this is true, to a degree, you can’t back those claims by citing page numbers. A large amount of content does not equal bloat. It’s like complaining that the latest MMO has too many raids.

2) The claim that D&D’s method of determining probable outcomes for actions is absurd. To assume that players are unable to calculate the chances of an attack hitting is to assume that the players are totally inept at the most basic mathematics. Furthermore, this claim becomes completely irrelevant when applied to a computer game, which can automatically calculate chances of hitting without a problem. Even if none of the various D&D-based games do this, this is a problem with the games themselves for not including this feature rather than with the battle system. Also, even if games do not do this, any player with a decent head for numbers should be able to quickly estimate their chances of hitting, and even those who don’t should eventually get a feel for it.

3) Your commentary on damage, at least in the context of 3.5e, is plain silly if you understand the game. While it may be true for very low levels of play, when you are playing with higher-leveled characters the individual damage roll for the weapons becomes completely trivial. Yes, your greataxe deals anywhere from 1 to 12 damage, but this doesn’t really matter when you’re getting +60 bonuses to damage and your wizard is firing off 120-damage disintegrate spells. It’s so meaningless that when I DM with higher-leveled characters, I just take the average damage for weapons at a certain point and stop bothering with rolls. While, again, it has been ages since I’ve played a D&D-based game and I’m not sure if this is applicable in that situation, it still shouldn’t be cited as a problem with the basic system.

4) At the randomized-vs-deterministic juncture, I once again disagree. D&D doesn’t lean as heavily towards randomized as you claim it does, as characters also gain sizeable bonuses as they level up and abilities that have predictable outcomes. Overall, from my experience, gameplay leans towards randomized at earlier levels and deterministic at later levels. Which is completely in keeping with reality and the intended feel of playing at those levels. At earlier levels, you are a normal person, better than most but still susceptible to the whims of luck. At later levels, you are a mighty hero, not someone who dies from a lucky arrow to the chest.

The part about mitigating factors, I can’t comment on, as I’m not very versed in videogame adaptations of D&D. And that’s it. Again, sorry if I’ve taken this off-topic, if I have I’ll delete it or post it somewhere else. And sorry for the huge wall of text…

• JackShandy says:

“To assume that players are unable to calculate the chances of an attack hitting is to assume that the players are totally inept at the most basic mathematics. ”

The DM doesn’t normally tell the players what the enemies AC is, though, right? Making it impossible to tell what your dice-roll is doing.

• Ross Mills says:

If they’re the same, why not use the more intuitive version?

• Wizardry says:

Because Baldur’s Gate is a 2E CRPG.

• Vesperan says:

Because THAC0 is such an awesome acronym.

I grew up on THAC0 via the old Gold Box AD&D computer games, and I wont change for nothin! *shakes his old man stick*

• MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

Even worse than THAC0, the people on the other side of the pond drive on the OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD.

• killias2 says:

Whatever your feelings about 2nd vs. 3rd, the fact of the matter is that a shift in rules would be a HUGE shift for the base game. It would require extensive reworking and rebalancing. It would become more of a remake than an update, and I can’t imagine mods would be as compatible either.
      All of this.. for something that would, arguably, turn off as many old fans as turn on many new fans. There aren’t that many people who are thinking to themselves, “Well, yes, I love BG, but I’d rather see it on 3rd or 3.5 than 2 with the THAC0!” Much less “Hrmm, old-style RPG.. why isn’t it first person? Oh wait, it has 3rd edition instead of 2nd? Insta-buy!”

• JackShandy says:

Making the numbers go up instead of down is a very easy thing to do, and doesn’t need to affect any other part of the system. They could even make it an option you can tick in the menu.

• Vorphalack says:

I assume you are assuming that it is easy based on absultly no experiance of coding in the infinity engine?

It sounds like an absolute monster of a job to me. Making it sound easy does not make it so.

• NathanH says:

I’d imagine you could keep the engine the same, and just put a layer of calculation between the engine and the user interface which translates thac0 and AC to a more intuitive inverse.

I don’t really see why. The rule is easy. You subtract their AC from your thac0 and that’s your chance to hit. Positive bonuses reduce your thac0 and reduce your AC. Negative bonuses increase your thac0 and increase your AC. It doesn’t really matter that it is not intuitive when the rules are so easy.

The only confusing thing is the occasional effects that are interpreted as modifiers to the hit roll, rather than an AC increase, such as Improved Invisibility and the “hidden” armour modifiers vs weapon types.

• Soon says:

Well the calculations could stay the same, couldn’t they? It only needs a superficial change on screen to either show the player “THAC0: 16″ or show “BAB: +4″ (or both, or a power bar, or fancy graphic, or whatever). It doesn’t need to use different numbers in each case behind the scenes.

• JackShandy says:

What soon said. if AC= this number, show this other number. It really can’t be hard.

• Wizardry says:

Do you know how confusing that would be for people trying to explain the game? No thanks.

• JackShandy says:

How would it be confusing to explain?

The system is the exact same, as has already been mentioned. Numbers going up as you get better is just more intuitive.

• Vorphalack says:

@ Soon

You need to consider that they only have limited time and resources to finish the project, and they would need a good few weeks to go through the entire item / spell text database and remove all traces of the 2nd ed. THACO / AC system. Then they would need to re-code the UI to corretly respond to + BAB bonuses from all buffs instead of – THACO. And then test it if they are doing their job properly. It seems like a total waste of resources for what ammounts to nothing more than a superficial change.

• JackShandy says:

I hope you’re underestimating their resources. If changing numbers is above the scope of this project.I can’t imagine how they’re going to accomplish a new UI and improved mod support.

• Wizardry says:

Yes it would. Because calculations and tables relating to the 2E rules all use 2E AC and THAC0. You’d have to have dual explanations for things. And then you’ve got the case of all the material on the internet becoming out of date. It would be a nightmare.

“Oh wait, you’re talking about the enhanced version of the game with BAB instead of THAC0. Then read this formula instead!”

• killias2 says:

Somehow we’ve gone from “Second Edition sucks” to “Second Edition is very superficially different from its later versions”

Yet there is still the same call for a complete overhaul of the entire game to change the edition. Anyone else think that’s silly?

• JackShandy says:

Seeing as this is a reply to my post, I assume you’re talking to me.

I don’t want them to change the edition. I want the numbers to go up as I get better.

I don’t think I’m asking the world, here.

Edit: My bad, sorry, I realize you’re replying to the guy above me in the comment chain.

• Mordsung says:

The different between BAB and THAC0 are largely superficial, the rest of the differences between 2nd and 3rd are much larger.

For example, in 2nd there was facing, and therefore backstabs.

In 3rd, there is no facing and instead there’s a whole host of debuffs that will allow sneak attacks to be used.

Then there’s feats vs kits, the changes in the entire proficiency system etc.

BAB and THAC0 may be close, but 2nd and 3rd are miles apart.

Though it’s not as bad as 3rd and 4th.

1st to 2nd to 3rd was a pretty natural progression. 4th threw most rules out the window and started practically from scratch.

• pipman3000 says:

thaco was never a problem for me but that’s probably because i play a wizard so every time a fight comes up i just press one of my many win buttons and move on

• Arglebargle says:

DnD rules have always been haphazard and murky. They created a generation of game designers, because every player had to modify the poorly designed rules sets to get them to work or make any sense. I think 2nd Ed made some good changes and had decent skills rules. But all the editons were still burdened with a poorly designed base. The DnD creators were really not very good designers: It was just new territory, and they hit popularity first.

• Wizardry says:

Are you saying that D&D video games have murky rules? Because the very opposite is true. D&D video games are among the only CRPGs that actually tell you the rules at play in the game.

• Brun says:

All they tell you is that the game uses a certain D&D ruleset. They require a nontrivial amount of time to understand for someone who is unfamiliar with D&D rules. There’s no tutorial or explanation of the D&D rules in Baldur’s Gate. If you don’t know what THAC0 is you have to Google it or find a D&D rules guide to follow.

• Wizardry says:

Well, most of the tables are in the manual at least. The rest of the rules can be learnt from the D&D rulebooks. At least you know the sources for this information. Take any other random cRPG that isn’t based on a pen and paper game and try to figure out what a point in dexterity actually does to your character.

• NathanH says:

Wizardry is right. I’m going to dismiss all criticisms of D&D in video games as being too murky until I start seeing competitors who don’t hide all their rules and not tell you what on earth is going on

• Werthead says:

Or you look in the BALDUR’S GATE manual, which actually has a dedicated, “What does all this D&D stuff mean?” section which explains what THAC0 means.

It’s possible some of the later budget re-releases don’t have the original (rather large) manual included, or on the CD, but the original certainly did.

• Jason Moyer says:

Dragon Age has to be the absolute worst at that sort of thing. I’m all for the abstraction of tabletop rpg elements into real role playing and flowing, emergent gameplay, but when your rpg is entirely about whittling down a hit point bar I want to know what effect every attribute and spell actually has in terms of game mechanics.

One thing I do find annoying in the old D&D games is having to go online to look up beastiary information that should probably be in the game somewhere. If a creature requires a +4 weapon to hit or takes more damage from a silver weapon or whatever that should be available in the game somewhere.

• Triangulon says:

I agree. I hated Dragon Age until I was able to find a site that broke down the rules system. After that – fine.

• Vorphalack says:

@ Jason Moyer

”If a creature requires a +4 weapon to hit or takes more damage from a silver weapon or whatever that should be available in the game somewhere.”

Or you could just experiment when you find a monster you can’t kill. Game saying ”My weapon has no effect!”, bring bigger weapon. Or a different type on weapon. Or in at least one case in BG2, a smaller weapon. There are not so many combinations that you cannot puzzle this sort of thing out for yourself. It’s part of what makes the grand RPGs fun.

jrodman says:

Why do I feel that I am the only person who thinks this comment is a joke?

• DrGonzo says:

They’re keeping the D&D which stops me from wanting this game. Re-do Planescape and I’ll pay attention. BG was shite back then and it’s shite now. I have pretty much the exact same criticisms of it and it’s bland story as I do new Bioware games, oh yay I’m another chosen one who will save the yadda yadda from the bla bla. But on top of that this has an extremely boring combat system plonked on top.

Nothing quite like watching a two sprites repeat the same attack animation over and over ‘missing’ each other from two feet away even though neither are dodging or even really moving. Oh yeah and they are both meant to be mighty warriors.

• Gvaz says:

What’s wrong with it?

3. engion3 says:

They might as well update it to a modern warfare setting. This change isn’t good for my stomach…

4. Unaco says:

Looking good so far. This is free, right… like the Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition? It’ll be a download to apply to my current copy of the game(s)? Bought it 3 times already, in various flavours.

• Casimir Effect says:

Only if satan is currently having a snowball fight, is my guess.

• onetrueping says:

Seeing as how the Ninth Circle of Hell is a frozen wasteland entombing the betrayers, and Satan stands right in the middle, it’s not that farfetched.

• alseT says:

Highly unlikely.

• DiTH says:

Surely you must be joking!Let the milking process begin.

• BobbyKotickIsTheAntichrist says:

Sure, that and a gift certificate for a blowjob at a brothel of your choosing.

5. Kdansky says:

Go for the eyes, Boo!

6. Brun says:

This really needed to happen. The only thing that worries me is the voice acting – they really should just remaster and use the original voice audio.

• KikiJiki says:

Indeed, it just won’t be the same if they change such immortal lines as:

YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

• OrangyTang says:

YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

YOU MUST GATHE *level loading screen*

• jonfitt says:

OMG that just brought back memories!

• Lemming says:

“SO I KICKED HIM THE HEAD ‘TILL HE WAS DEAD! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!”

• Eldiran says:

I have tears of laughter in my eyes from reading this comment.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who remembers this line…

• Lemming says:

I couldn’t decide whether to go for ‘lololol’ or ‘nyuck nyuck nyuck’, as both seemed equally obnoxious!

• apocraphyn says:

I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST

AmateurScience says:

Heya

Heya

Heya

Hey…

• porkchops says:

If I remember correctly they are using the old voice work for everything except new content and a new playable character. I just hope they get polish version out, I just can’t play the English version, too much nostalgia for brilliant polish translation made by CD Project, their finest work in my opinion.

• mouton says:

I disliked the Polish version – I guess it was competent, but really, translation is a lossy conversion by definition. But, well, a matter of opinion.

PoulWrist says:

The ui update is sweet music to my ears.

• Arglebargle says:

No kidding! I tried playing this a few years ago, based on its high regard. The interface was just awful, and I quit pretty quick. Horrible interface, DnD rules, inability to get it to look nice on my monitor. It was too much, regardless of how good the game and story might be.

• Eddy9000 says:

so you want to have a look at me diddies?

• Petrushka says:

Says the person using at least the Widescreen mod in the screenshot, and probably Tutu as well … hah!

7. Discopanda says:

Get your cupcakes ready, Baldur’s Gate fans!

8. Inzimus says:

what peaks my curiosity is that nowhere on the site does it say “Coming to PC”
    is this to be taken for granted, or….?

• quadnad says:

All I see on the site is that it’s coming to iPad and OS X – nothing about Windows. Is this a foregone conclusion, or is it really going to be an Apple exclusive?!

• TillEulenspiegel says:

I think they were being coy about platforms because they wanted to make a splash by announcing OS X and iPad versions separately.

But yes, they’re using the original source code, and there’s really no doubt that it will be on PC.

• killias2 says:

He has said numerous times that there is a PC version and that it is the main version.

Here are just some of the tweets referencing the PC version:

“Of course there is a PC version. Silly Rabbit.”
      “All platforms are the same code base, so any improvements in the code are for all platforms. PC is improving.”
      “A good amount of the underlying porting work we’ve done has made the BG code base much easier to work with, so the port effort helps PC”
      “We are supporting Windows.”
      “The zoom is controllable in game. On PC we use the mousewheel. #iPad is pinch. Works very well.”
      “Yes, it will be compatible multi-player cross-platform. We had a Mac, iPad and PC joined into a game together.”
      “We are Basically supporting two inputs, touch (iOS) and pointer Mac/PC All versions will play similar.”
      “Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced edition will work on iPad 1,2 and 3. Really looking forward to new UI on iPad3 and big PC displays ”
      “If you don’t have an iPad, you could still pick up #bgee on PC or some other unannounced platform.”
      “iOS is not the only platform for #bgee #baldursgate So far we’ve committed to PC and #iPad 1,2 and 3″
      “Of course #bgee will be on PC. We’re adding #iPad as a platform, we’re 100% supporting the PC”
      “We’ll be talking more on platform in later weeks. Right now we’re focusing on the PC”
      “#bgee is a Beamdog exclusive” (Beamdog being a PC digital download service)

They announced the PC version initially. Then they added the iOS and MacOS versions. However, the PC version is the main one, especially as they hope to push Beamdog with it.

• Lycan says:

Oooh, that’s a nice touch (and not necessarily a sure thing either, even in 2012!)

9. Kodeen says:

Here’s hoping they do a better job with this than they did with MDK2 HD.

• gritz says:

Can you elaborate on this? I hadn’t heard anything bad about the MDK2 HD remake.

• mckertis says:

“I hadn’t heard anything bad about the MDK2 HD remake.”

Except tons upon metric tons of whiners on how MDK was soooo much better than MDK2 (which it wasnt).

• Kodeen says:

It was basically just a cash-in. Here’s a few details:

1) Only the main characters and bosses got higher-poly models. The levels and regular enemies just got higher-res textures.
        2) The characters with new models did not get new animations, which have not aged well (stick up the butt walking), and then you have instances like when Schwang Schwing holds his hand to his heart, and his fingers clip through his chest.
        3) They changed some of the music around. Why would you have the most dramatic techno music playing during a tutorial? “Here is how you jump” (DUN DUN DUN DUN BWAAAM, DUN DUN).
        4) WORST THING: In some areas the music is flat out broken. In the doctor’s first level it will just go away sometimes. In Kurt’s second level, it completely glitches out (bleeps and bloops). They acknowledged this bug in the forums but never cared to fix it.
        5) Other little things that lack polish, like no rotating camera in the Esc menu. Not that this in particular concerned me, but it demonstrates that they just couldn’t be bothered to care about fixing it. That’s the overall feeling you get from the game, that it was a cash grab and their hearts just weren’t in it.

• Blackcompany says:

Funny how reviewers and fans notice clipping and other nonsense in an HD remake of an older game, and complain.

Yet for Bethesda it is perfectly acceptable to release a brand new game, on a pseudo-new engine, and have bows clipping with their own damned quivers on release in 2012….

• Ringwraith says:

Yes, but there’s an entirely new game attached to that.
            If you’re remastering something specifically to make the graphics better, you better get it right, otherwise what’s the point?

• Kodeen says:

I don’t remember having personally given Bethesda any passes on that.

• Ringwraith says:

Yeah, but you can more easily overlook such things if they’re not completely ruining your enjoyment of the rest of the game you have yet to experience.

• Lycan says:

Pray tell how you managed to notice that with everything else that’s typically happening on screen, and the scenery that there is to see in the typical scenario where your character has sheathed his/her bow and is running around in said Bethesda setting…

10. mckertis says:

“They might even”

They might. Or they might not. Who knows for sure. Big news.

11. timoteoandre says:

Anyone know if they plan on releasing this on gog.com?

I’ve been waiting to buy the baldur’s gate series forever now, but I just never have the money…
    If they release it there, I might just wait a little more.

• ucfalumknight says:

Interesting question, you may want to post on their forums. With GoG doing new releases and an indie friendly environment, who knows?

• killias2 says:

On the PC, it will be a Beamdog exclusive. Maybe if enough people tell Trent they should sell elsewhere.. they will.

Personally, I don’t see any reason to keep it from Steam, GoG, GG, etc. Sure, you don’t have as many people coming to Beamdog, but you have money. Money you can spend on further Overhaul games.. or on Beamdog. I mean, Jesus, 80% of Witcher 2′s digital sales were on Steam. Imagine if CDP made it a GoG exclusive? Maybe 1 out 8 of those would’ve gone GoG, but the rest would’ve just been left on the table.

• Werthead says:

This appears to have been solved.

In response to this Reddit comment:

“I love BG, its one of the first games I played and it made a big impact on me as a gamer. I am all for the re-release, and am excited to play it. It really worries me that they intend to release the game on their steam-alternative solely. I feel like this is a great opportunity for BG to appeal to a larger audience, and maybe even a new generation of gamers, but by limiting the release to their own platform they will make less money, and future Enhanced editions will be less likely.”

Oster replied via Twitter:

“We are looking at dumping our client for #bgee. We think it is cool, but the market is talking and we’re listening.”

So, yes, they are not only looking at Steam and GoG, but they might even dump the Beamdog thing altogether. Interesting.

I must admit I was convinced it was a rights thing. With Interplay releasing the ‘BG Complete’ package on Steam, and with Beamdog having to talk to Interplay to do the new version of BG, I was assuming that would keep the new version of the game off Steam and competing with Interplay’s package. Apparently not.

Bluerps says:

Disgusting.

13. Zenicetus says:

They had to go to higher resolution and a new UI for the iPad3, I guess. That might be a good way to play this game, if the touch control isn’t too fussy.

I’m not sure I’d have the patience to go through the whole saga again on a PC, but this could be fun on my iPad2 during those times when I don’t have anything else to do when traveling. I haven’t seen many games so far on the iPad that really float my boat, aside from Pirates! (arrrrr), which has a great iPad conversion.

14. Jayson82 says:

Err isn’t this what baulders gate tutu (http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/) has already done? Putting the original baulders gate and expansion on the baulders gate 2 engine?

• Unaco says:

• Vorphalack says:

Tutu was a good project, particularly if you wanted to play the BG2 kits through BG1, but it had some issues. Biggest problem was that it used the BG2 spawn generator to populate the world, and would default to populating EVERY spawn node on every map. This meant that what would have been a lone Wolf in BG1 turned into a pair of Wargs in BG Tutu. If you survived the early levels, the mod hurled so much experiance at you that the whole balance of the game was destroyed, not to mention the immersion breaker of semi-random monsters poping up all over the world.

15. pilouuuu says:

They should have made it an FPS… It’s not the last century anymore!

• ucfalumknight says:

Not to fear, once Atari and WotC see how successful this is, they will begin a “reboot” where Minsc is the main character who chases down dirty kobolds with his automatic Longbow. All FPS action, developed for the consoles first. Pressing the X button will make Minsc shoot out his rabid space hamster with associated power-ups. Also, the Left Trigger will allow Minsc to ramble on some crazy stuff. Multiplayer will include Co-op where other players can choose to be Khalid or Xan. Day one DLC will include extra player characters like Imoen, Jaheira and Dynaheir. Can’t Wait!!

• Apples says:

Hold on, that sounds great. After Deadly Premonition I think all games should have a “main character rambles on about some crazy stuff” button.

• killias2 says:

They’ll also add in a “Super Player” mode that will show you how to beat the tough parts of the game. After all, you wouldn’t want some sort of -challenge- getting through, right?

Also, most of the game you will follow another guy closely behind and respond exactly to his orders. People are too stupid to figure out what to do otherwise. Think Battlefield 3 or MW3 only more linear and less exploration.

16. JackShandy says:

I don’t understand.

If this is an RPG, where’s the cover system?

17. rivalin says:

If the “all new UI” is just a stupid ipad one dumped on pc users because this project is secretly ipad lead, I will hunt the developers down and make them eat their shiny apple crap slabs for breakfast.

18. WickedBaggins says:

Yeah, I don’t know. There’s nothing wrong with doing a remastered version, but we already have a remastered version in the form of various trilogy mods. Unless the new content was seriously spectacular, what’s the draw? Except for folk who are unaware of said mods or can’t get ‘em working.

But their new UI might be so spectacular as to dwarf the Infinity Engine and the new content might bring tears to all our respective eyes instead of being yet another army of kobolds. I will hold out some little interest!

• pipman3000 says:

“what’s the draw”

to be blunt it’s because those mods are shitty and bad. so the draw is getting some new content that isn’t made by a person who makes stephenie meyer look like mark twain

anyway it’s not going to be very hard for the new content in this remake to be better then stuff like the Imoen incest/rape romance mod and that mod that added the mary-sue teenager paladin elf* i saw in some bg2 lp who was like the bella swan to your edward cullen

• WickedBaggins says:

Goodness, that does sound awful. But I’m only speaking about the basic “play BG1 in the rather prettier BG2 UI” mods, not the “romance Imoen” mods. And certainly if BeamDog makes quality new content, that’d be great. But new content still has to be good content, whether it’s by developers or no.

Big Murray says:

There is no “Imoen rape” mod; that never happens in the mod you’re referring to. Seeing as how games are constantly misrepresented by sensationalist mainstream media, and how we’re always complaining about that, I find it baffling why some people are perfectly happy to do the exact same thing to a smaller subsection of games.

• pipman3000 says:

yeah damn prudes sensationalizing about things that actually happen in the mod

what’s so bad about daurger rape or having the slayer rip it’s way out of imoen’s vagina chest burster style (it’s okay though it’s just a dream).

19. Blackcompany says:

Next step: They will need Kickstarter to finish the update….

• Lycan says:

That thought occurred to me too, sadly. I wish I wasn’t that pessimistic :(

20. MikoSquiz says:

New UI? Well I’m sold.

21. Jahkaivah says:

EVEN MINSC?!?!?!

22. Beelzebud says:

Jump on my sword while you can, evil… I won’t be as gentle!

23. Gojiro0 says:

Great thread! Eh, I’m sure I’ll play it. Cooldowns no way! One of my favorite things in BG2 was the Mage duels–wouldn’t be at all the same with cooldowns..,

• Lemming says:

Why would it need cooldowns when it has rounds inherently built into the game system?

24. Vinraith says:

This would be so exciting, if only it weren’t tied to yet another client-based digital distributor.

Big Murray says:

The mod community for BG has really disappointed me since the announcement of the Enhanced Edition. Much of the reaction has been quite hostile and of the opinion that “they’re going to be charging for stuff that we’ve been doing for years”, and that they’ve done improvements which are much better. Bit of an ego problem, especially as seeing that a fresh modded install of BG2 took a few hours to complete last time I did it.

• ffs_jay says:

That’s mod communities all over though, especially the really entrenched ones still modding games that most people left behind long ago.

Actually, that’s not fair, it’s more communities for older work in general. Eventually most folks get bored or drift away until you’re left with forums full of the fandoms’ crazy cat lady equivalents. There’ll be a few decent sorts too of course, but they’ll be largely drowned out by cantankerous old fuckers. See: pretty much anything related to old school adventure/rpg/shmups/retrogaming etc. Which is a real shame as I love pretty much all of that stuff.

26. Belsameth says:

More then that, there doesn’t seem to be an Android release. if you have to release it on pads, at least don’t release it on that piece of (*@$(*@^$

27. The Tupper says:

Gawd. A thread like this makes me worry that, despite the vast majority of my gaming life with the platform, I’m not a PC gamer, nor do I want to be one.

28. daruna says:

Oh lordy lord when I read this article I came with the force of a thousand tornados and destroyed everything in a 2 mile radius.

How can people possible bitch and whine about this game!? GTFO my computer screen and never come back. Im going to re-live some nostalgia with this bad boy of a game and the expanded content. HELL YEAH. TAKE MY MONEY WOO!

29. Joe The Wizard says:

I think I still have my OS X discs of Baldur’s Gate II buried somewhere. Pretty good news.

30. nootpingu86 says:

Gamers might get upset about changes to a classic game! What a scoop! Let’s be outraged at their outrage in a smug blog post about something unrelated. We’re so much better than those entitled paying customers and devoted fans. Heh, what idiots.

31. Gnoupi says:

Heresy?

You don’t know the half of it.

iPad: http://www.destructoid.com/first-look-at-baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition-for-ipad-224430.phtml
    Wii U was considered, but will not happen due to the experience of the developer with Nintendo’s online delivery services: http://www.destructoid.com/baldur-s-gate-ee-developer-the-wii-is-a-toy–226012.phtml

32. AgamemnonV2 says:

Of course they’re going to add some bells and whistles to it–It’s the only way they’d get away for charging $60 for a 14-year-old game.

33. SmittyBit says:

Haha, You actually got me with this one, I read bout two-thirds of it before I thought ‘Hey, wait a minute..’

34. Khron0s says:

Those BASTARDS! Ohhhh they better not have that monstrosity available for pre-order!