Water Works Well: SimCity

By Adam Smith on April 17th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

I wonder if they'll simulate the horrors of Gasland

SimCity wants to you show you its fluids, pumping around the place, most of them good for your thirst but some of them riddled with germs. Since my first trip to the beach as a nipper, fashioning a cathedral of sand and shell, I’ve always enjoyed building things, but now that I’m a withered husk of a man who is more likely to be found propping up a bar than lazing on a beach, it takes more than the promise of a construction set to grab my attention. I was surprised and delighted when I saw that today’s SimCity is a simulation driven from the ground up, tracking tiny people to their jobs, creating traffic jams and the spread of illness through the movement of simulated agents rather than some laws of certain averages. This video shows how that will impact on water distribution.

I don’t think I’ll need the ability to send natural disasters tearing through Adamopolis. With this style of simulation, it’s only matter of time before I strive for the beautiful perfection of a complex machine and then break everything.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Cytrom says:

This may actually end up fun… is maxis still in EA’s dominion?

2. Eich says:

Well it’s kind of sad that polluted water turns you city into a… well… not working economy instantly. It would be better if the sickness reduced the productivity or decreased the overall life expectancy. This way I will never be able to create an illness ridden dystopia -.-

3. LuNatic says:

This being RPS and all, I’d like to ask for a 40k version of this game. SimHiveCity anyone?

• Kollega says:

No. N-O.

I honestly do not get this inclination to stuff Warhammer 40k into every genre that some people have. To make a point, i’m a raving fan of Ratchet & Clank – but do you ever see me demanding an MMO about Lombaxes, a cover-based TPS covering the exploits of Cronk and Zephyr, or a DreadZone management simulator?

• BULArmy says:

And I totally agree with what you said. We just don’t need 40k in everything.

• Consumatopia says:

We don’t need 40k everything, but we DO need urban simulations of every fantasy/scifi universe ever conceived.

• MadTinkerer says:

Er, I believe the suggestion here is something akin to Necromunda, in which case there is precedent for it. No Marines or Inquisitors, but lots of Gangers as well as all the other non-ganger folks who would actually make the city work.

Imagine how many people live in the Hive, and how many of them just go about their daily 9 to 5 routines and maybe once ever witness a gang fight. Also, imagine what the gangs are like at their day jobs. Imagine Orlocks as miners (explicit in the lore), Goliaths as sanitation workers, Van Saar as repairmen, Cawdor as neighborhood evangelists…

• Wertymk says:

Ooh yes. A daemonic invasion as a disaster which would lead to an exterminatus if not handled properly.

• LuNatic says:

Stealer cults chasing citizenry through the streets, inquisitors burning down whole sections of the city to quell dissent, it’d be awesome!

• TheWhippetLord says:

If 40k in everything isn’t your thing, why not be more traditionalist – Warhammer Fantasy in everything! Use the pollutant system they’ve demonstrated to model warpstone contamination, which gradually mutates your populace. Find a way to model Skaven in the undercity and you’re laughing. You do like Skaven right? Course you do, everyone loves Skaven. :P

• RedViv says:

Don’t be ridiculous. People still go on about those stories of “rat people”? Skaven. Ha. As if!

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That would be delightful.

Hmm, widget flange production is down in Sector Gamma. I should construct additional hellish slave-barracks and increase their work day to 19 hours.
      *ding!* Your Piety is low. Your Ecclesiarch Advisor recommends constructing additional shrines to the Emperor.
      Okay, that’s one Temple of the Emperor’s Thighs, coming right up.
      *ding!* Your citizens are unclean. Your Inquisitor Advisor recommends purging the unclean.
      Right-click on Hab-sector 9, select “purge” from the drop-down… Is that tiny screams I can hear?
      *ding!* Your population is hungry. Your Munitorum Advisor recommends building more genetically modified meat hulk labs.
      I can’t afford meat hulks. Lets enable cannibalism, which should also reduce the overpopulation.
      *ding!* Your population’s morale is low. Your Arbites Advisor recommends random executions.
      *ding!* Your population is still unclean. Your Inquisitor Advisor recommends Exterminatus through virus bomb.

4. Gap Gen says:

Bah, I thought they were going to show dynamic fluids, like floods washing through the streets when the rivers burst their banks.

5. Yargh says:

Even though these are placeholder graphics in the videos, I really hope they keep allowing us to see the underlying mechanisms at work in the finished product.

I could probably spend a day or two just watching water globules run through my town.

• Malk_Content says:

A toggle-able option for that would be fantatic, not only does it look super awesome but it’d allow us to be better at the game by seeing the exact ramifications of even minor tweaks to our city.

• Booch says:

Very much agreed, that water table map piqued my interest

6. Jibb Smart says:

Looking fantastic! Very excited for this.

7. Smashbox says:

It seems my wildest fantasies are coming to life! Looking forward to this game very much!

8. Jimbo says:

I was going to pre-order this but it turned out it was cheaper to just build a real city.

9. pilouuuu says:

Always on-line = I don’t care about this game anymore

• RedViv says:

Only required to be online when I log in, and the game does not throw a tantrum when the connection dies? No problem for me!

10. psyk says:

“Online passes, consistently high amount of day-1 DLC across all its franchises, refusing to simply use Steam, a brilliant platform that every other company uses, just to get a share on the market”

Ah youtube

11. JToTheDog says:

Needs more 40K.

12. Fox89 says:

There is something SpaceChemically cathartic about watching all those agents go about their business. That on the scale of London would be mesmerising!

13. Simas says:

This video reminds me of Overgrowth A LOT. Am I the only one? Even the voice is the same!

14. JaminBob says:

… So can i play this version of my favourite series ever without Origin yet?

15. Dozer says:

I just finished re-reading “The Appeal” by John Grisham. I’m still traumatised by industrial water pollution.

Perhaps the simulation could be extended so that industry could illegally dump pollutants where they can leach into the water table, but the environmental inspection agency gets bribed to shut up by a state senator who’s in the pay of the industry? Then when the sims die of cancer and sue the industry, the guilty verdict is squashed on appeal by a supreme court judge who’s a stooge of the industry.

16. kdh says:

PEGI 12: Because no child should ever have to endure the trauma of seeing a water simulation system in action. Ban this sick filth!

17. SmittyBit says:

The comments on this post just made me cry another tear thinking of what the 14-20 age group is today. How has a single decade between us made such a difference? Where is my Way-Back machine, I want the 90′s again, at least fake punks didn’t say woot or pwned.. Those words suit you (and life kids, stop it..) like a dress fits Stallone.