Death Waits: Darksiders II Delayed

By Nathan Grayson on April 18th, 2012 at 8:43 pm.

LOVE ME.

I bet it’s lonely being Death incarnate. Like, people generally thank, say, firemen, police officers, and bloodthirsty mercenaries for their work. Cookie baskets, hugs, and free puppies are all pretty much par for the course. But Death? His only friend is the world’s smallest violin. Perhaps, though, Darksiders II will show people his more sensitive side. Maybe his cold, black heart beats to the rhythm of a soulful acoustic guitar ballad. Unfortunately, THQ’s announced that the absurdly muscular embodiment of our mortality will have to live with his crippling depression for a couple extra months.

In a post on the official Darksiders II website, THQ broke down the whys and wherefores of the delay, which will see the game release sometime in August, as opposed to June.

“This small delay is to allow additional time for polish and bug fixing. As we’ve stated in numerous articles and videos, Darksiders II is substantially larger game than its predecessor and the ambition of this project requires extra time to polish to the high standards that Vigil Games and THQ are committed to.

“As we approached the game’s completion date, the team asked for more time to polish the huge amount of content included in this ambitious project.  We are all committed to making Darksiders II the highest-quality game possible and the additional time will allow the team to do just that.  The game content remains unchanged, as do our future DLC plans.”

Concerns, of course, arose in the wake of recent layoffs at Vigil, which claimed a whopping 79 jobs – though the Darksiders II team remained mostly intact. Obviously, though, THQ’s on shaky (though slightly less dire, as of today) ground, and all eyes are on – somewhat ironically – Death to be the one that brings the beleaguered publisher back from the brink. Happily, Adam found the sequel to be a refreshingly in-character departure from the solid-if-unspectacular first game, so THQ might just be onto something.

Moreover, an August release date means Darksiders II will ride ever-so-precariously ahead of the holiday game avalanche, so hopefully it won’t be overshadowed by the CODBLOPS, MOHWs (Medal of Honor: Warfighter, whose acronym sounds amusingly like a cat meowing), and Assassin’s Creeds of the world. So godspeed, Death. You’ll get that free puppy one day. I believe in you.

, , .

dangermouse76 says:

Just watched Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol…… oh deary me.

• Blackcompany says:

I bet watching that movie physically hurt. My condolences.

dangermouse76 says:

Thank you for your thoughts, in this dark time.

• Syra says:

It was pretty good though as mindless popcorn flicks go.

• Antsy says:

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Most of it made no sense at all and I wasn’t surprised because I didn’t think I was watching Nil By Mouth.

• Xocrates says:

Wasn’t it considered to be the best MI movie? (I haven’t watched it, so no idea myself.)

• loud says:

I was cringing throughout the movie and I felt even worse for Brad Bird. I thought it would get horrible reviews but I was shocked to learn that it was rated very highly.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

The first one is still the best IMO, but Ghost Protocol is definitely the second best. On that special film ranking scale that only contains mission impossible films of course.

2. Baresark says:

Ahhh…. guess I’ll hold off on buying THQ stock. Don’t make us wait too long, I have lost interest in games for being pushed back too much. Don’t make me regret backing you guys after your somewhat iffy recent past.

The Sombrero Kid says:

0_o Now is the perfect time to buy THQ Stock, their share price will never be lower than it is now, Relic will announce a new dawn of war at e3 and this will come out soon after, whether or not you should sell your THQ shares just before release, or hold onto them until metro last light comes out is a different matter.

3. TillEulenspiegel says:

This small delay is to allow additional time for polish and bug fixing.

That’s the sort of thing I say when I’m hopelessly past deadline and still not finished. It sounds nice, but doesn’t really mean anything. I mean, what else are you going to write in a press release announcing a delay?

• Grygus says:

I wanted very much to respond with an example of a developer saying, “we chose not to work in crunch mode because that is stupid. As a result, we are now in crunch mode and it’ll be ready just two months late,” but the closest I could find was this announcement saying that a piece of DLC was delayed because people were recovering from crunch time: http://bf3blog.com/2012/03/a-more-personal-reason-for-the-battlefield-3-dlc-delay/

A shame, because I was really hoping to read that article I invented in my mind just to reply to you with.

4. Zanpa says:

I’d rather see the game delayed than released in an unfinished state. So this is fine with me.

5. Chizu says:

“OH BUGGER.” -Death

6. db1331 says:

Death waits for no one (except polishing and bug fixing).

7. Dowr says:

Even in financial woes, THQ are still willing to give the developers more time to polish the game so it can be as best as possible. How sweet of them.

• Syra says:

The numbers for saints row 3 were pretty good, and darksiders2 is their only other big inhouse ip right now. They need to get it right tbqh, it’s selfish.

8. aurens says:

either the game was in such poor shape thq didn’t think they could handle the fallout, or they have so much confidence in the title and studio that they really want to get it right. let’s hope it’s the latter. for me, darksiders 2 is right up there with bioshock infinite and max payne 3 in anticipation.

CelticPixel says:

Everyone gets in a big discussion and moans when games get released riddled with bugs. If people have been working hard to try and make DSII an awesome game (and they’ve certainly got my attention), they deserve one last delay so their hard work isn’t ruined at the last hurdle by one too many bugs. I think of all the little bugs in ME3 for example; nothing game breaking that totally ruined the experience, but they all added up to make it feel like a considerably cheaper, rougher round the edges experience than ME2. I say good on THQ for not just kicking it out the door.

10. Ridnarhtim says:

Sad about delay. But I’m okay with it, since this game deserves all the polish it can get.

11. caddyB says:

Hope all is well, this is one of the games I care about the most this year.

12. Icyicy9999 says:

I just hope THQ doesn’t go bust until Darksiders 2 and Metro: Last Light are out.

13. Phantoon says:

‘Oh,’ he said.
    YES, said Death.
    ‘Not even time to finish my cake?’
    NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

14. Lively says:

Gee what a surprise given that they just fired seventy-something people from Vigil not that long ago. Guess they should have kept them around a bit longer before kicking them to the curb.

15. Prime says:

Alternate image caption:

The only certainties: Death and Axes.

16. rapchee says:

they’re supposed to be pals with vlad …