Diablo 3 Beta Appears To Be Opening Up?

UPDATE: Nah, looks like false alarm. Sorry!

A thread on the D3 forums seems to suggest that the Diablo 3 beta is appearing on a lot more Battlenet accounts. No official word from Blizzard yet, but there’s a lot of people confirming it now. (It was already on my Battlenet, so I can’t say!)

It doesn’t seem to available for everyone. Anyone else seeing this?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Luciphear says:

Nope, not seeing a thing on my account, except for the regular stuff.
    Edit: Reading the comments it does indeed seem so… Hm. Interesting.

2. Yemala says:

Everyone and anyone is/was able to download the beta client and log in, regardless of whether they had a beta invite or not. The servers have just (last 10-15 minutes) gone down, allegedly for maintenance, although someone on reddit claimed to still be able to log in to an account with beta access.

Speculation on teamliquid (link to teamliquid.net) is that this is intended as a publicly released ‘starter edition’ (which was planned anyway), which will be heavily limited, but available immediately. This is reinforced by people without beta access having ‘upgrade’ buttons, and greyed-out button tooltips referencing the starter edition.

Whether this is an intentional release or a mistake remains to be seen.

3. General Frags says:

Nothing for me, I’ve heard that its open to subscribers of WOW only though.

4. reggiep says:

I was in the closed beta. Once Blizzard made D3 available for purchase on battle.net, I was locked out of the beta and forums. I’m betting that people that have pre-purchased the product from battle.net will have access to the beta. I pre-purchased from Amazon because I want a box. I suppose that Blizzard realized there was very little incentive to purchase directly from Battle.net so they’ve opened up the beta.

5. Skeletor68 says:

Nothing on mine either. Not sure if I want to start playing it before I get my hands on the CE anyways as I’m guessing characters won’t transfer over?

6. gschmidl says:

7. ado says:

Nothing here either. And to think that I got excited there for a second. Bad RPS, BAD!!!

8. MrMud says:

They recently invited 275k people who had opted into the beta program on battle.net a little while ago. Might be those people.

9. Bantros says:

Didn’t have it yesterday, logged in this morning after seeing the news and there it is, ‘Diablo 3 beta’.

Fantastic. Downloaded game client but hit by ‘server down for maintenance’ message.

10. Was Neurotic says:

I didn’t even bother looking at my account, just copy/pasted the client dl link from the forum thread, and bingo. 44mb installer, 3.79 Gb client dl.

11. Nim says:

• frypiggy says:

“Nim says:

Whenever I look at that picture, instead of seeing a human being I see an enraged baboon.”

^ That may be true, but I bet his Mom still loves him.

12. Lobotomist says:

I am trying for some time now.
    Although on new created account, so maybe it only appears on older acounts..dont know

Anyway, no luck so far

13. MordeaniisChaos says:

It’s on my account right now. But, I have no fucking bandwidth to download it, so no idea if I it’s accessible right this second. Thanks a lot, Witcher 2 updating on Steam after I told it not to!

• Blackcompany says:

This is precisely why I bought the game DRM free from gog.com. No Steam. No auto-updating. I chose to download the enormous path myself, from gog.com, and it was still done in less than 30 minutes on a Cable Internet connection.

Very convenient, but then, CDProjekt specializes in convenience for their players.

• HothMonster says:

Right click – pause update ?

14. lhzr says:

apparently you don’t have to have it on your account. just dload the client from here: link to eu.battle.net

and play (might have to set your region to US)

15. wuwul says:

16. Daryl says:

Mine is installing right now. Hopefully it will be up and running by the time the install is done.

17. Ajh says:

I’ve been in the diablo 3 beta for awhile. Two of my WoW guildmates just got in there too last week. I figured they were opening up the beta to the WoW annual pass people. Hm…

18. Nevard says:

Nothing for me and I have annual pass
    I’m going to assume having open beta access for everyone is a bug until they make an official statement to the contrary and not bother downloading the beta client either, got a deadline I am going to struggle to hit tomorrow anyway so I can’t really afford to start battling demons ):

19. apocraphyn says:

I thought the rumour was that anyone with a Battle.Net account can access it now, not that the D3 beta has to show up on their account? As absurd as that sounds.

20. bglamb says:

None for me, though strangely though, I got a Dota 2 invite this morning.

I’ll settle for that!

• Vorphalack says:

I was in the middle of typing ”there is no middle finger big enough”.

Then I stopped to check my steam just in case.

I also has DOTA2 :D

Today is the best day.

21. pkt-zer0 says:

Well, the main menu looks cool, at least. Gives a Battle.net is down for maintenance error on login, though.

22. Syra says:

link to eurogamer.net

It’s an error and they closed the beta to respond.

23. Algirdyz says:

I was in the game without a beta on my account for like 10 minutes. Then servers went down.
    It was a starter edition. You could see an upgrade button with all the options and so on.

24. McTerry says:

Acutally never mind. It was a bug I guess.

25. TML says:

Indeed, some 8-9 hours ago I was able to download and install the client, and ultimately able to login and play the game… it was flagged as the Starter edition.

I did not, and still do not, have beta access i.e. a D3 beta account in my Battle.net account.

Blizzard updating the status of things at 3pm PDT… ( link to us.battle.net )

26. christianwins says:

Yes, a few days ago I received that beta key (same day as getting the ‘Tera’ beta key too). It was shortly after re-subscribing to wow.

27. Greggh says:

Thank goodness I only saw this after the update.