Diablo 3 Beta Appears To Be Opening Up?

By Jim Rossignol on April 18th, 2012 at 1:29 pm.

UPDATE: Nah, looks like false alarm. Sorry!

A thread on the D3 forums seems to suggest that the Diablo 3 beta is appearing on a lot more Battlenet accounts. No official word from Blizzard yet, but there’s a lot of people confirming it now. (It was already on my Battlenet, so I can’t say!)

It doesn’t seem to available for everyone. Anyone else seeing this?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Luciphear says:

Nope, not seeing a thing on my account, except for the regular stuff.
    Edit: Reading the comments it does indeed seem so… Hm. Interesting.

2. Yemala says:

Everyone and anyone is/was able to download the beta client and log in, regardless of whether they had a beta invite or not. The servers have just (last 10-15 minutes) gone down, allegedly for maintenance, although someone on reddit claimed to still be able to log in to an account with beta access.

Speculation on teamliquid (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=330262) is that this is intended as a publicly released ‘starter edition’ (which was planned anyway), which will be heavily limited, but available immediately. This is reinforced by people without beta access having ‘upgrade’ buttons, and greyed-out button tooltips referencing the starter edition.

Whether this is an intentional release or a mistake remains to be seen.

3. General Frags says:

Nothing for me, I’ve heard that its open to subscribers of WOW only though.

4. reggiep says:

I was in the closed beta. Once Blizzard made D3 available for purchase on battle.net, I was locked out of the beta and forums. I’m betting that people that have pre-purchased the product from battle.net will have access to the beta. I pre-purchased from Amazon because I want a box. I suppose that Blizzard realized there was very little incentive to purchase directly from Battle.net so they’ve opened up the beta.

Skeletor68 says:

Nothing on mine either. Not sure if I want to start playing it before I get my hands on the CE anyways as I’m guessing characters won’t transfer over?

6. gschmidl says:

Nope.

7. ado says:

Nothing here either. And to think that I got excited there for a second. Bad RPS, BAD!!!

8. MrMud says:

They recently invited 275k people who had opted into the beta program on battle.net a little while ago. Might be those people.

9. Bantros says:

Didn’t have it yesterday, logged in this morning after seeing the news and there it is, ‘Diablo 3 beta’.

Fantastic. Downloaded game client but hit by ‘server down for maintenance’ message.

10. Was Neurotic says:

I didn’t even bother looking at my account, just copy/pasted the client dl link from the forum thread, and bingo. 44mb installer, 3.79 Gb client dl.

11. Nim says:

• frypiggy says:

“Nim says:

Whenever I look at that picture, instead of seeing a human being I see an enraged baboon.”

^ That may be true, but I bet his Mom still loves him.

12. Lobotomist says:

I am trying for some time now.
    Although on new created account, so maybe it only appears on older acounts..dont know

Anyway, no luck so far

13. MordeaniisChaos says:

It’s on my account right now. But, I have no fucking bandwidth to download it, so no idea if I it’s accessible right this second. Thanks a lot, Witcher 2 updating on Steam after I told it not to!

• Blackcompany says:

This is precisely why I bought the game DRM free from gog.com. No Steam. No auto-updating. I chose to download the enormous path myself, from gog.com, and it was still done in less than 30 minutes on a Cable Internet connection.

Very convenient, but then, CDProjekt specializes in convenience for their players.

• HothMonster says:

Right click – pause update ?

lhzr says:

apparently you don’t have to have it on your account. just dload the client from here: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3724212521?page=3

and play (might have to set your region to US)

15. wuwul says:

16. Daryl says:

Mine is installing right now. Hopefully it will be up and running by the time the install is done.

17. Ajh says:

I’ve been in the diablo 3 beta for awhile. Two of my WoW guildmates just got in there too last week. I figured they were opening up the beta to the WoW annual pass people. Hm…

18. Nevard says:

Nothing for me and I have annual pass
    I’m going to assume having open beta access for everyone is a bug until they make an official statement to the contrary and not bother downloading the beta client either, got a deadline I am going to struggle to hit tomorrow anyway so I can’t really afford to start battling demons ):

19. apocraphyn says:

I thought the rumour was that anyone with a Battle.Net account can access it now, not that the D3 beta has to show up on their account? As absurd as that sounds.

bglamb says:

None for me, though strangely though, I got a Dota 2 invite this morning.

I’ll settle for that!

• Vorphalack says:

I was in the middle of typing ”there is no middle finger big enough”.

Then I stopped to check my steam just in case.

I also has DOTA2 :D

Today is the best day.

21. pkt-zer0 says:

Well, the main menu looks cool, at least. Gives a Battle.net is down for maintenance error on login, though.

22. Syra says:

It’s an error and they closed the beta to respond.

23. Algirdyz says:

I was in the game without a beta on my account for like 10 minutes. Then servers went down.
    It was a starter edition. You could see an upgrade button with all the options and so on.

24. McTerry says:

Acutally never mind. It was a bug I guess.

25. TML says:

Indeed, some 8-9 hours ago I was able to download and install the client, and ultimately able to login and play the game… it was flagged as the Starter edition.

I did not, and still do not, have beta access i.e. a D3 beta account in my Battle.net account.

Blizzard updating the status of things at 3pm PDT… ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4489049301?page=1 )

26. christianwins says:

Yes, a few days ago I received that beta key (same day as getting the ‘Tera’ beta key too). It was shortly after re-subscribing to wow.

27. Greggh says:

Thank goodness I only saw this after the update.