Mercenary Ops Trailer Has A Tentacle Monster

By Nathan Grayson on April 18th, 2012 at 10:30 am.

Sometimes I feel like I don't even know what I'm fighting for, Mr Mortar Gun. You know?

Granted, it has other things too – most of them somehow involving bullets, cover, explosions, or blood-spattered teddy bears sleeping in the rubble of a dystopian, corporation-run nation that’s forgotten how to hug. Mercenary Ops, of course, hails from the stop ‘n’ pop artists formerly known as Epic Games China (now Yingpei Games, but still affiliated), with the twist being that it’s PC-only and quite enamored with fancy physics. Also, it’s apparently more grounded in real-world tech than obvious wind beneath is veiny, rippling wings Gears of War, but – on the other hand – there’s a tentacle monster. So you be the judge. Check out the full trailer after the break.

The game’s prepping to launch this summer, which pretty much fits its Hollywood blockbuster motif. Honestly, it doesn’t look the least bit revolutionary, but the prospect of eight player co-op carries an ever-so-slight stench of intrigue. Fingers crossed, though, that Epic’s real PC-exclusive turns out to be a bit more interesting.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. BULArmy says:

Not bad, not bad. It look very generic, but I don’t think generic must be a bad word in every case. If the shooting is decent and it have nice gameplay mechanics, it can be a very good game.

2. Iskariot says:

I was interested at first, but the half naked mercenary broad (1:07) is too kitsch and immature for my taste.

3. Mr. Mister says:

Now that I think about it, it’s curious how the best in-game use of PhysX I’ve ever seen is still in one of the very first games to use it, UT3. Gotta give credit to the small free map pack released by nVidia itself (one map had fuckin persistent PhysX based hailstorm).
    The video preload screen made me remember this PhysX community map too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfOjLElqDSY

4. terry says:

I’m most interested to see what factor they trot out when this doesn’t sell.

5. DaftPunk says:

This could be allot of fun,despise generic look of some things in trailer lol. And its PC FOCUSED tps,we didn’t had those for long time^^

6. DevilSShadoW says:

I’ve never been smacked so hard by the generic in my life.

7. Tom Walker says:

Are these good graphics, would you say? Since playing Mass Effect 3 everything else feels like rubbing dirt in my eyes.

• wodin says:

Funny because I found ME 3 to look pretty poor to be homest, this looks no better, BF3 and Witcher 2 are some top draw graphics…not ME3.

• liquidsoap89 says:

I think artistically ME3 looks incredible. Some of the background environments (SOME!) look absolutely beautiful.

But TECHNICALLY (UE3) it looks just about as good as everything else like it.

8. Cryo says:

I always buy my anti-giant-faceless-corporation rhetoric from giant faceless corporations.

9. ZIGS says:

Wow, they couldn’t make a more generic-looking game even if they tried to

10. FuzzieBoy says:

To be honest, I think it looks really good so far, sure it’s a bit generic in the art, but that doesn’t mean the game won’t be fun!

11. zbeeblebrox says:

Whenever I hear a game’s premise involves “corporations have become more powerful than countries” it just makes me wish for a Snowcrash game.

I want to play as the Deliverator, damn it!

12. Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

I’m intrigued about why there’s a Danish bus going to the airport of Copenhagen in that very non-Danish city…

Comment on this story