Orion: Dino Beatdown Has Classes, Beaten Dinosaurs

By Jim Rossignol on April 18th, 2012 at 4:30 pm.

I’d inadvertently left some Beefheart playing when I unmuted my speakers to have a listen this trailer, below. The effect was quite beautiful. Or perhaps I’ve not had enough sleep. Another thing, the name “Orion: Dino Beatdown” really doesn’t seem quite right to me. I mean, Orion looks like Tribes mated with a Jurassic Park movie licence anyway, but the name sort of doubles that: half serious sci-fi, half 1980s dinosaur platformer. Perhaps that’s appropriate. Hm.

The game is out April 20th.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. tsmike says:

“The game is out April 20th”

Actually, it got delayed until May.

Not that I’ll buy it because the creator is scum.

• CMaster says:

I was about to say, “countdown until posts attacking the developer” but they’re here already.

• TsunamiWombat says:

Shame about him being scum this looks interesting, though the player models are lol

• frenz0rz says:

Wow, what an arse.

• lurkalisk says:

Do we have anything more than anecdotal evidence of his scummery? I mean, the game looks underwhelming, so I can’t say I care all that much, but I tend not to make decisions based on “someone said so” arguments.

• Resonance says:

Well we know they’ve previously used stolen assets in promotional material [the armory from Natural Selection 2 was in a trailer for their game], though they claimed the model was there temporarily.

As soon as these reddit accusations arose they cut off all promotional material from other indie sites [such as Moddb]; and they’ve stolen concept art from the Primal Carnage development team in the past.

I believe the developer has gotten more intelligent when it comes to public presentation [as in they've stopped posting on external forums], and they’ve been working on this game instead of their initial concept [though both seem highly derivative], so don’t let this stop you buying the game if you want some dumb fun; all these accusations / events are years old after all.

2. Veritaas says:

I don’t understand the longevity of this game. You’re not actually hunting anything, it looks more like a survival/defense game.

Or is it like Killing Floor where you survive waves of enemies, buy weapon upgrades, and then face a boss at the end?

3. wodin says:

Safe as Milk

4. Ertard says:

Looks like absolute shit.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Er, yes. It really does.

• TsunamiWombat says:

I think it looks like dumb fun. Admittedly the character models are garbage but it’s an indie.

I’m more concerned about this nonsense wot I be reading on Reddit about the creator being scumbag steve

5. raptorak says:

LOL looks absolutely rubbish.

6. Brise Bonbons says:

Something is very wrong when you can’t get the release date announced in the voiceover to match the one shown on screen. Is it really that hard to get the guy to rerecord the part where he says “April 20″?

7. fupjack says:

Of all the Beefheart songs to link to, does it have to be one from the Tragic Band period? Cause ew.

Also, the Magic Band is still playing and is good.

8. Arvind says:

Are dinosaurs able to build turrets and stuff as well? If not, what benefit will an EMP grenade have for the human team?

9. DrGonzo says:

A kinda ‘what if Halo had a dinosaur survival mode’. Sounds pretty fun actually. Not sure why it’s getting such a bad response here. Looked quite solid to me. Though that developer does sound like an arse. But that is from Reddit…

10. fuggles says:

I keep getting this confused with Primal Carnage :

I wondered why the graphics had gone from being great in my head to terrible on screen.

11. caddyB says:

Why is the video removed by the user?

12. Blackcompany says:

Wow. The Wonderful World of Flying Accusations. And here I thought this sort of thing was reserved for the Elder Scrolls modding scene.

Guess not.

Still, I have seen enough of this to avoid reaching conclusions – or jumping to them – based on forum accusations. Keeping an eye on this game, as it does look like simple fun, and there is nothing wrong with that.

13. TwwIX says:

lol They still aren’t done with this? I remember when this was originally intended to be a mod for Half Life. It still looks like crap.

Comment on this story