Space Rangers 2 Remastered, Fresh Campaign

By Jim Rossignol on April 18th, 2012 at 5:30 pm.

1c send word of Space Rangers HD: A War Apart, which is apparently another “remastering” of the sequel to RPS’-favoured space games Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators and Space Rangers 2: Reboot. A War Apart will include a new campaign, “offering a pirate’s point of view.” The overhaul will redo graphics too, allowing for 1920×1200, which is nice because everyone likes fresh graphics.

No release date yet, but I’d expect it soon.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. frenz0rz says:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Edit: I am very pleased by this news.

2. Spider Jerusalem says:

hooooooooooollllllllyyy shit

3. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Does anyone have any advice as to how to get into Space Rangers 2? I bounced off it a couple of times.

• Eddy9000 says:

Perhaps you just don’t like it, can’t like every game. But I find it best suited to a laptop, good to tinkle with in front of the TV on a sunday afternoon or in bed on an evening, not sure if I’d sit at my desk and play it.

• pazmacats says:

To get into space rangers, start the game on “normal” difficulty. For the start just pretend that you are some kind of swashbuckling space pilot who tries to make a fortune by doing the most entertaining missions ever included in a computer game while making some extra cash from dealing with luxuries, machinery and weapons (mainly). At the start you need to simply run (fly) away from everyone. After you made some cash from selling stuff, collecting space junk and solving crazy text adventures (have a pen and a calculator ready!) you can get some decent engine (1st priority) + a gripper + a better hull (armor value!) and as a last priority you can buy some semi-useful weapons. The late game is you versus the dominators, eventually you will save the galaxy or die while trying, so take your time and enjoy the trip. Stay away from the RTS-battles. These aren’t the game’s strongest point. There’s a lot of exploration, lore and adventure to be had in this game. GL&HF!

• Jeremy says:

Yeah, I’ll reiterate that you should stay away from the RTS battles. Not much fun to be had there. Once I started getting involved in attacks against the Dominators, I was having a blast. There are military bases throughout the universe that will send out notices so you can join up with them too, which I would recommend before trying to go at it alone.

• Freud says:

Same here. It’s been sitting at 3 hours played in Steam for ages. Having to run from fights at the start and take courier missions made it a very tedious start so I abandoned it.

• frightlever says:

“Does anyone have any advice as to how to get into Space Rangers 2?”

Cheat. Use the hugemoney cheat early on to get a reasonable ship, or you’ll be collecting trash/trading for a long time before you can mix it up with anyone. Hey, worth a try if nothing else is getting you into the game, right?

I musta bought SR2 at least four times, including the recent 1c bundle. (edit – me and everybody else by the looks of it).

4. LintMan says:

Why do they keep reworking the same game? Why not make Space Rangers 3 instead?

5. caligarimd says:

1C PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY FOR SPACE RANGERS 2 AGAIN

6. pazmacats says:

why not build a monument instead …?

7. RedViv says:

That is a pleasant surprise.

8. qrter says:

Yeah, I bought this game twice already, I think I’m done.

9. Dare_Wreck says:

NOOOOO!!! I *just* bought Space Ranger 2 Reboot in the 1C sale this past weekend. I love the original Space Rangers 2 but never had the expansion. Then again, I’m so far behind in my games backlog that I’ll probably never get around to playing it anyway. Consider my $3 (minus the requisite GamersGate commission) an investment into making the new game 1C!

• Underwhelmed says:

Do you have the Russian made hi-res patch? Apply it and you can play Re-boot in much higher rez. This wont get you the new features, but it does give you arguably the best feature the add-on will bring. This is not a crack or a warez file so nobody hit me:

• killias2 says:

Does it work with SR2 Reboot?

• dE says:

I owe you a virtual beer.
        I’ve had issues with the resolution to the point where I just couldn’t play it. This actually enables me to play it and so I will. Thanks.

• Fiatil says:

That resolution mod has put me to the point where I can’t really play SR2 now. It looks really nice, but for some reason it causes my save games to get randomly corrupted and crash at a predetermined point. Turn it off and everything works fine, ah well. Probably just me, it’s worth a shot because it does make stuff look so much better.

10. killias2 says:

I bought it 3 times….

First, on GOG, I bought SR2.. which turned out not to be the latest release.
    Then, at Five Below, they had SR2 Reboot for a dollar, so I bought it.
    Then, I bought the 1C Complete Pack on GG.. which gave me a third copy (maybe fourth, as I think it -may- include SR2 and SR2R).

Still, the sum total of this is like 5-6 dollars. If they fix up the clunky RTS elements, the way-too-long text adventure elements, and the clunky interface, I could be convinced to jump again. If they also made the game feel a bit.. ‘thicker’ and added more quests/options/etc., then I’d almost certainly jump again.

11. Tuco says:

One of the greatest games of all times, and sadly criminally overlooked.

• Strand says:

I couldn’t agree more. When asked what my ‘desert island game’ would be, I’d have a difficult time choosing among Alpha Centauri, Depths of Peril or Space Rangers 2.

12. DeathRow says:

So this will be the fourth time I will buy this Masterpiece.

BTW, am I the only one who absolutely loved the fact that they included basic algebra in the puzzles?

13. doma says:

this is a fantastic game and I will pay for it yet again just to get it upgraded to HD.

Bring it on!

Oh and do SR3 after

14. CaspianRoach says:

One of the few games that makes me proud to be russian.

15. daphne says:

Most excellent, I was planning on buying this. Now I’ll wait for the remake.

16. Dominic White says:

Space Rangers 2 doesn’t need an HD version. It needs a retranslation, especially the Reboot expansion. Yes, the text adventures are pretty good, but some of the Reboot ones are almost impossible to comprehend as they’re in such mangled english you need to devote your puzzle-solving skills to just understanding it.

If they’re giving the whole thing a fresh translation on top of fancifying the graphics, then I’m all for it.

• Deano2099 says:

This is entirely true. That and brief re-balance of the RTS bits so that it can at least be a fun diversion and we’re sorted.

• Fiatil says:

Pretty much this. The translation makes for a lot of funny bits and interesting humor, but some of the text adventures are a little bit too garbled to make sense of sometimes.

17. Heliocentric says:

So its not a patch then? Bleh, this remake nonsense better have genuine improvements, not like on the consoles where it is literally the same game but at higher resolutions.

18. MythArcana says:

Now this is great news! Count me in. I’d also love to see their SR2 expansion Revolutions get an English translation, but one miracle at a time.

• Tuco says:

Wait, isn’t Reboot the only expansion for SR2?

• MythArcana says:

Reboot is the last retail version, but Katauri has a mini-expansion as a free download somewhere on their homepage. The only problem is the language is in Russian and only some feeble attempts have been made to translate some parts.

19. squareking says:

The closest thing to SR3 we’ll (soon) have, so hooray for that!

20. Smashbox says:

Cross your fingers for a tablet version!

Cross them.

• Bokai says:

Oh yea, this game would be sweet on a tablet.

As it is now it is the perfect laptop game!

21. SoggySilicon says:

Just assume have a new game, but SR2 is most excellent in and of itself, highly recommend.

22. Caiman says:

I’ve bought this game 3 times now. Once at retail, but not installed once I learned it had Starforce. Then once again on Gamersgate. Then a third time on Steam, because I completely forgot I already bought it at Gamersgate! I think four times is probably pushing it a bit too far though, and I certainly didn’t think the graphics were really lacking anyway.

23. Iliya Moroumetz says:

Judging by the comments, the opinion of this game seems to be pretty favorable enough to warrant a purchase.

And I never would have found it were it not for RPS. Thank you. :)

24. SlyTheSly says:

I have always wondered : can you complete the game (Space Rangers 2 Reboot) witout playing the RTS missions or shooter missions at all ? I really don’t like these parts of the game…
    And without playing the text mission (this is more interesting, though) ?
    Thanks.

• djim says:

The RTS and Shooter sections are entirely optional. Text missions too. I really hope they settle their problems and make a Space Rangers 3. This amazing game deserves another sequel.

25. FergyA says:

Hopefully this means the first RTS mission after installing the expansion is now actually winnable… I swear I have about 20 hours in that thing…

26. RegisteredUser says:

I spill my drink!

Also I hope the robobattle maps are a little bit less difficulty-random.
    Some you can do okay, some you can spend an afternoon retrying and not get ANYWHERE.

And the overall game has a slight tendency to get ultra tedious if you are really after an ultimate set of perfect ship components..even with the new search engine that Reboot presented the user, thank god.

Still one of the best games/genre mixes ever made.