Botanicula’s Humbly Bundled Already: Amanita Collection

By John Walker on April 19th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Didn't see that one coming.

Well this here is interesting. The latest Humble Bundle, the Humble Botanicula Debut, has just launched. It’s dedicated to Amanita Design, they responsible for Machinarium, Samorost, and Botanicula. All three of which are in the bundle. So yes, the brand new Botanicula, literally released this very minute, is in the bundle, meaning you don’t need to pay the $10 for it, but rather whatever you want. It’s a bold move, and it’ll be fascinating to see how it affects regular sales on Steam, GOG.com, etc. But it’s very good news for you, as it means you can get the wonderful back catalogue from Amanita, along with a copy of Czech film Kooky if you pay over the average, and the extremely lovely Windosill by Vectorpark.

Clearly that might be a little grimace-inducing for anyone who pre-ordered Botanicula from elsewhere at full price. But that’s the free market, and heck, your relatively small amount of money is going to the developer who makes these amazing games. So, you know, that’s easily gotten over.

The bundle contains Samorost 2 (Samorost 1 is free on the Amanita site), a gorgeous experimental adventure, where your exploration and interaction with the world helps one little man find his way. Then there’s the incredible Machinarium, the robotic adventure that won just about every heart in 2009. (Oh good grief, how can that be three years ago already?)

Give over the average and you’ll also get a copy of Kooky – the stunning-looking Czech film for which Amanita’s Jakub Dvorský created the puppets and props – and a copy of Windosill, the really lovely peculiarity from Vectorpark.

As ever all is available on Windows, Mac and Linux, and this time the charity choice is the World Land Trust, in recognition of Amanita’s emphasis on the natural world in their games. And pay over $5 for the lot and you’ll get Steam keys too.

Seriously, $5 for this collection of joyful games (and whatever inevitable surprise additions appear) is astonishing. You’d be insane to pass on this. Here’s the slightly disturbing video promoting it:

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Xocrates says:

Well, this is an experiment that I’ll certainly want to know the end result of.

That said, I don’t foresee this having a positive effect in Botanicula’s bottom line unless the goal is, and always was, to support charity with that title.

• imdwalrus says:

I don’t know about that. I wasn’t going to buy the game because I’m unemployed right now, but I may go with the $5 for Steam Keys for the bundle. Whatever they lose in sales from people buying at a lower price will be offset, at least in part, by sales they wouldn’t have made at $10 anyway.

• Xocrates says:

Which they could have gotten anyway by putting the game in a bundle 6 months from now.

• imdwalrus says:

“In the meantime they’ll lose money from people that would have paid full priced, but now opted to pay less.”

I don’t know how true that is. How many people would have paid full price on day one but hadn’t already preordered? The game’s been getting press attention for a while, and has been on the front pages of GOG and (I believe) Steam for the past few weeks.

This probably will hurt their sales, but I don’t think it’ll be as significant as everyone else here thinks.

• LintMan says:

Well, I’ve been very interested in the game since I first heard about it, but have not pre-ordered it. (I’m not big on pre-ordering, in general) So I had been planning to buy it at GoG when it was released. Now, I’ll buy it from Humble. So they could have potentially lost money from people like me.

But I’ll still pay the same $10 for it that GoG would have gotten. (I usually pay even more for the humble bundles, but I already previously bought Machinarium at full retail, and bought Samorost 2 as part of a previous bundle or two.)

• Xocrates says:

Those are the reasons I said I’m quite interested in knowing the end result.

Like I said, I expect them to lose money, I’m just curious how much (if any).

• HothMonster says:

“Those are the reasons I said I’m quite interested in knowing the end result.

Like I said, I expect them to lose money, I’m just curious how much (if any).”

Unfortunetly we will never really know unless we can compare the sales to an alternate reality in which there are no bundles.

Anecdotally my interest was perked by John’s review so I added it to my “buy during summer sale” list then saw this and threw them 15$ for the bundle. So they got ~10$ more than they would have from me.

• Xocrates says:

We can’t compare alternate universes, but we can extrapolate from our current one.

Amanita could use the numbers on their other games (or even from other games) to predict how well Botanicula was expected to do on launch.

• RobF says:

You can safely assume that a lot of developer’s PC game sales charts across different services will look like this:

Steam: LOTS
            Every other store ever: NOT AS LOTS.

With GOG being new to this “new games” stuff, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were a small part of NOT LOTS. I imagine this is something that GOG will want to change hence a lot of the chest thumping of recent times and good luck to them there. Seriously, not sarcastically because more good places to buy and sell games is good. I would also be happy to hear someone come along and say “no, it’s definitely lots” because that would also be good. I suspect not though.

So whether they’ve cut into Steam sales with a hundle is certainly something that might have happened. Whether they’ve cut into sales from elsewhere with the hundle launch is also certainly something that might have happened. The difference being, what you’d lose from the not-steams will probably be massively eclipsed by even the lowest of Hundles (and with a variable price up to MANY O’ POUNDS on offer, maybe, I don’t know, maybe that makes up for the Steam stuff too) and it makes vastly more sense to Hundle than it does to rely on those other channels to bring the cash in. No matter how much you like those other channels.

It’s a fortunate or unfortunate reality of things right now. (Level of fortunate may vary depending on your viewpoint as a customer or developer)

Also! Sometimes it’s easy to think that Hundle and Steam will be serving *all* the same customers. As it is, they do to a great degree but you’ll catch people using Steam who don’t Hundle and people who Hundle who don’t Steam.

Either way, I’d imagine the upshot is that Amanita won’t have come out of this down massively, and likely not down at all by a pretty fair margin.

• RobF says:

(also a quick check of the figures as they stand right now: $203,234.68 is a fair wad for about 8 hours on sale)

• Slinky MCPunchfist says:

I payed more than I needed to or would have on steam, some people will help offset it to an extent though I imagine the majority will be cheapskates…

• BarneyL says:

I suspect that ,most people who were likely to buy it full price around this time already had (either pre ordering or right at release). Also looking at the average cost I suspect with the default split they aren’t getting much less than they will once Steam\GoG etc have taken their cut.
      Any potential damage is likely to come later, who’s going to to pre-order their next game when you know that a better deal will be available at release time? They’ve also killed any chance of all those people liking Botanica and then buying their other games after that.

2. seamoss says:

I knew Botanicula was going to show up in a bundle eventually, but not this soon…

This is the same stunt that PuppyGames pulled with Revenge of the Titans and it pissed off a few fans.

Also, by now I own Samorost 2 at least twice and Machinarium at least four times from various bundles and sales (and also Windosill twice from Steam sales). So what’s a fair price for Botanicula alone?

…though I suppose there will be some sort of bonus later on (Samorost 1?)

• flowsnake says:

Samorost is free anyway, so probably not.

• field_studies says:

I was going to buy Botanicula based on RPS’s review anyhow, so put the $10 into this. My only disappointment was in finding that the three games are ‘bundled’ into one Steam code. I’d planned to give the other two games which, like you, I already own, to friends to try to hook them into the studio’s work. Too bad.

• pertusaria says:

Darn, that’s annoying. I was amusing myself trying to figure out how to split bundle(s) between self, boyfriend and mother, two of those already having at least one game, but not the same one.

Will probably still get one bundle for the sake of the film…

3. Funso Banjo says:

Well that is a kick in the teeth.

I don’t think I’ve ever been screwed over in the name of charity before. Well done Amanita Design.

• LTK says:

If you previously believed that Botanicula was worth $10, and you can subsequently buy the rest of the Bundle’s content for one cent, why do you think you’ve been screwed over?

• Aninhumer says:

For 1c you only get Machinarium and Samorost 2, which is a good deal, but both games have been in a previous bundle, so most people probably already own them.

• rustybroomhandle says:

I’m confused here too. Translation “I already paid $10 for it, and now I find out I could have gotten it for $5″? I see this as an opportunity for you to buy a second copy and support the developers even more than the pitiful $10 they asked for in the first place.

• baldrik says:

If you want to get Kooky you have to pay over the average which is close to the retail price of the game. Now this seems to be a lovely movie and is probably worth the nine bucks by itself, but I can’t help feel a little cheated that I payed nine dollars to pre-order the game yesterday and today this deal appears that offer me a lot more value for the same amount of money.

4. Dr I am a Doctor says:

It’s getting less humble every iteration.

5. seanblah12 says:

I like the idea of releasing it straight away as a bundle, but letting people pre-order it at full price, seems wrong to me

• Fierce says:

What is most likely, given the way of business and the real world and so forth, is that the selling company of Botanicula put forth plans to implement pre-orders for the game… and then months later got a phone call about adding it to the Humble Bundle, which they agreed to for various reasons.

Happens all the time with humanity lacking clairvoyance in their skillset and all.

The value for dollar is still off the charts whichever way people went though, so unless the people purchasing this game/bundle cannot afford gum or bus tickets, I anticipate a fair amount of shrugging followed by liberal use of moving on with life.

Short Version: *Shrug* WHEEEEEEEEEE, BOTANICULA, CHARITY, WHEEEEEEEEEE.

6. larsiusprime says:

Hey guys, if someone could help me understand –

What’s the cause of the negative reaction to Botanicula being on the HIB? I don’t have an opinion one way or the other, just wondering.

EDIT: ah, so there was a full-price pre-order? Daaaaang. Yeah, that makes sense.

7. micro_explosion says:

All things like this do is make me not want to buy their game until it’s part of a bundle. Putting this out the same day as release of the game is incredibly idiotic and insulting when there has been a pre-order up with no mention of this.

If they had done it with no pre-order on other sites then it would have been fine.

I’ve all but stopped buying indie games individually now because of the ridiculous number of bundles with games that are included so soon after release. That can’t be what they hoped for.

• Barnaby says:

What confuses me is that people even pre-order games. I remember around 2005/2006 I felt like I was burnt by jumping on the hype train of both Quake 4 and Prey, buying both of those games at full price (not even pre-order necessarily). I guess that’s when I got fed up with the idea of buying games on release at full price. In all fairness this is an indie dev, and it is more understandable. I would still rather wait for full release, and better yet, a price drop for most games (especially $50/60 ones).

Pre-ordering is not akin to Kickstarter (you aren’t necessarily funding development), it doesn’t really do much for the buyer, and the bonus incentives are usually ridiculous. So my question is, why do people bother pre-ordering games?

• Delusibeta says:

In my case, I pre-order when it is cheap. As in, I pre-ordered Saints Row The Third on PC for about £18. I can’t recall of a time it’s been cheaper than that since.

• Barnaby says:

Good point, those instances do make sense. These days it seems less and less often that it is a discount though. It bothers me even more when the bonus incentive is content that probably should have been in the base game anyway.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Yep, just before christmas, direct from THQ with DLC season pass, all for £13!

8. DrScuttles says:

Already had Machinarium, but given John’s praise of Botanicula this bundle was a given for me. And I prefer the charity element of this humble bundle compared to the last one I saw.

edit: while I’m musing upon the subject, wouldn’t people be even more tempted to buy these bundles if you could gift your spare games? But that’s more an issue with Valve and Steam in general, I suppose.

• LintMan says:

You can gift the entire bungle to someone for pennies. And if you don’t install it yourself, you can probably also send someone your downloaded DRM-free copy of the unwanted game. Isn’t that enough incentive?

• DrScuttles says:

Don’t get me wrong, Botanicula was incentive enough for me to buy this bundle; Steam keys and Kooky are a welcome cherry on top.
        I just thought that it could help push a few more sales with greater Steam trading functionality. Just thinking out load, or whatever the internet equivalent of that is.

• alms says:

I don’t think it’s an issue with Steam. Every other bundle is handing out individual Steam keys, so it must be a decision within HIB.

I wound understand getting duplicates from buying in different bundles or sales, but they are actively recycling games.

9. Kaese says:

Warning! Please note that orders under $5.00 are not eligible to redeem Steam keys. If you are planning on adding your Humble Bundle games to your Steam library, please increase your order amount.

Those bundles are getting less and less “Pay what you want” and more and more “Pay atleast what we think you should.. er want”

inb4 “5$ is sooooo worth it you cheap sir” and “you can still get the non-Steam versions for less”

• Baboonanza says:

Could it not be that Steam charge for supplying the keys and so they need a minimum purchase amount?

• imdwalrus says:

The issue before, at least, was that people were buying one of the bundles (HIB4?) for dirt cheap because at least one of the titles was included in the holiday achievement promotion. At a penny, HIB actually LOSES money because, unless your payment exceeds thirty cents-ish, Paypal fees are greater than the payment.

They bumped the Steam keys up to a minimum dollar donation, and now it’s up to $5. I don’t really have a problem with that.

• JD Ogre says:

The minimum for Steam keys was added a couple of bundles ago because people were using sub-$1 Humble buys to add to many new accounts per scumbag in order to game the prize system during one of the big Steam sale events/contests…. It sucks, but only because humans are bastards.

• alms says:

As far as I understand it you ask Steam for keys and they just give them out. There’s nothing to pay.

Hopefully the 5$ minimum has been decided because it’s a brand new game that’s just been released.

• Creeping Death says:

The $5 limit started after people spammed the bundles with 1p purchases for extra entries into Steam’s xmas event.

• imdwalrus says:

Seriously, though: you can get the games for as little as you want. You just won’t get them on Steam. And remember, the first two bundles weren’t even ON Steam until after the fact.

You’re getting a LITERALLY brand new game and two fantastic others for whatever you feel like paying. I guess what I’m trying to say is QUIT WHINING.

• Kaese says:

I already own Machinarium, Samorost 2 and Windosill and couldn’t care less about that weird czech movie. So the only thing interesting me is getting Botanicula on my Steam shelf. No matter how much praise it is getting, it might be a goty, that is not for me to judge yet. If you want me to judge, “I would feel like paying” 2-3$ for an artsy flashgame on Steam. However, I am not allowed to pay what I want for this Game on Steam.

• codename_bloodfist says:

Yeah, I won’t be buying it. I’ve never cared about any of the games anyway, with the sole exception of Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy (for which I paid more), and given pretty much all of the money (- transaction fees) to the EFF. Guess I’ll be donating directly to them this month.

10. LTK says:

From a business perspective, this is a mindbogglingly stupid move. But otherwise, if the developers are using their status of newly-released game to funnel more money to charity, then it’s pretty classy.

I think I’ll put ten dollars in this bundle just for that.

• Ridnarhtim says:

Why? I wasn’t going to buy it, but now I am. Admittedly for less than the full price, but still, that’s more than the nothing I would have paid otherwise.

• Aninhumer says:

Yes, but you probably would still have bought this bundle in a month’s time after all the people willing to pay full price have done. This way they’re basically throwing away half of their launch revenue.

• Caiman says:

I think this bundle would have gone over a lot better with gamer entitlement if they’d have pushed it fully as a charity fund-raising initiative, donate to charity and get Botanicula and a few other goodies for free. Unfortunately they didn’t, and now we have to see the ugly side of human nature rear its head yet again.

11. ulix says:

Now if Steam was up in Germany…

You cannot access Steam from germany for close to a whole day now. And if you’ve tried to login once, you can’t even get into the offline mode. Very annoying.

12. Baboonanza says:

I agree that it’s a bit of a foolish move but is it really something to get upset about? Sure you could have got it cheaper but it still only cost $10 and the money went directly towards supporting the developer.

I paid $10 for the bundle, since I think that’s a fair price just for Botanica (I already own the others).

• Resonance says:

If I had pre-ordered on GoG I wouldn’t want to support the developers…they’re screwing over paying customers [and GoG who they didn't inform] – it’s a great ‘fuck you’ to those who pre-ordered.

‘It only cost $10′ – given the number of bundles across the internet $10 is a high price, especially when HIB is half the price with more content.

13. JD Ogre says:

Such a shame. I already have Samorost 2 & Machinarium – but for some reason, their saves never seem to be able to properly whitelist in BetterPrivacy, so I always loose them. :( Makes it not worthwhile to get this, no matter how awesome Botinacula looks. :(

14. Lambchops says:

Y’know, thing is I might actually get this one. I’ve got the other games already but I might pay over the odds to get Kooky, which looks pretty neat.

15. lhzr says:

People, get Kooky. It’s amazing.

16. Creeping Death says:

One quick question. The site says it includes the soundtrack for Botanicula. Will that be in the Steam directory when it’s done downloading or is it a seperate download?

• imdwalrus says:

If it’s like the other games on Steam that I have that came with soundtracks – like Binding of Isaac – it should download automatically with the title, and the soundtrack will be buried somewhere deep within your Steam directory.

• Creeping Death says:

Ah thanks for the confirmation. Time to dig out my map and venture into the Steam directory dungeons!

… I’ve played far too much Grimrock today :/

• imdwalrus says:

Just to warn you, there’s a CHANCE it may not be there. My copy of Binding of Isaac was HIB and came with the soundtrack, but there are a few others on Steam – like Super Meat Boy – that also had soundtracks but didn’t include the Steam version.

So, I may have accidentally lied. :-/

If you can’t find it on Steam, HIB will have a direct download (and Bittorrent) links for the soundtrack.

17. Man Raised by Puffins says:

along with a copy of Czech film Kooky if you pay over the average

Oh, you basts. Just when my wallet was least expecting it.

18. liquidsoap89 says:

I wish they would have told us this about an hour ago when I PREORDERED THE FRIGGIN GAME FROM GAMERSGATE!

On a kind of side note… Does Botanicula include a steam key as well? I can’t find it by itself on steam.

Oh, and the game totally doesn’t like me trying to run it with my eyefinity setup… Time to troubleshoot!

19. Lemming says:

How long are these running for? I only ask cos I wont be able to purchase it until Monday! Planning to drop £20 on it.

EDIT: NVM, just saw the 14 day counter. Awesome!

20. Ultra-Humanite says:

According to 2 posts from the GOG team I’ve seen on their site, they had no idea it was going to be part of the Humble Bundle. I’m guessing they are a little upset at the moment.

• imdwalrus says:

Jesus christ, those forums are a mess. People demanding to pull the game off GOG’s front page, accusing them of “fucking with GOG”…

I wasn’t aware the site had dedicated fanboys, but it definitely appears that’s the case.

• RichardFairbrass says:

Too right, the level of butt-hurt fanboyness on those forums is out of this world. I find it hard to believe people can get so worked up about having to pay $10 for a game when they could have paid less, as though it is some exorbitant amount. I’m not sure if it’s unique to the gaming community, but there does seem to be a profusion of angry, entitled cheapskates willing to get worked up over the most minor (except in their own heads) issues.

• ThetaReactor says:

They can’t be that upset. @GOGcom is the top contributor at $300.00 atm…

• Ultra-Humanite says:

Which is a nice gesture, and it’s nice to see that the situation was addressed by Amanita, but somehow I get the impression that keeping GOG completely in the dark, resulting in them having to do damage control with unhappy customers did not rub them completely the right way. In my opinion, that’s a pretty poor move on Amanita’s part. Just the not communicating fully aspect.

• Plivesey says:

The GoG guys said they’re gonna give something to people who pre-ordered Botanicula, to lessen the blow of it being in a bundle. Yay GoG!

21. Yosharian says:

The STEAM keys for the bundle are a little crappy. One key for all three games, so the ones you already own can’t be gifted to buddies (i.e. Machinarium). Sucks. (Still a great deal, just sayin’.)

• imdwalrus says:

That’s ALWAYS the way HIB has done Steam keys, probably to prevent exactly what you’re describing. The only time they’ve had “separate” keys is for games that were added mid-bundle.

• LintMan says:

Why not just buy a few more bundles to gift to each of your friends for a bit of spare change each? It won’t have Steam keys at that price, but they’ll get the (even better) DRM-free copies. Don’t tell me that they’d turn down some excellent games given to them for free because they’re not on Steam?

• Yosharian says:

That’s not how Indie Royale does their bundles so I fail to see why it’s a problem to have separate steam keys for each game.

• Jupiah says:

I agree that this is annoying. I purchased the bundle for 10 bucks assuming I’d be able to email the codes for the games I already have to my friend. Now I feel a little bit ripped off since I just payed for 3 games I already own and can’t give away.

22. JonBiz says:

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY IT IS TODAY!

23. thedavehooker says:

This is amazing but also a bit bizarre because I had just bought ‘Kooky’ on DVD/pre-ordered Botanicula last week. Never hurts having a backup copy I suppose.

24. Strange_guy says:

I had decided I wasn’t going to spend any more on games, but this seems like a really great deal. I went in for $10, to be clearly above the average, which is odd as I wasn’t planning on buying botanicula itself even though it was at that price.

• LintMan says:

“I had decided I wasn’t going to spend any more on games”

Methinks you’re on the wrong website if you don’t want to spend any more money on games. :D

25. Defiant Badger says:

Oh my gosh yes. All my money! All of it!

26. Khemm says:

Already pre-ordered Botanicula on GOG, downloading now and don’t regret it at all, but I think I’ll get this bundle too for the full Botanicula soundtrack and Kooky.

• marach says:

don’t bother

“I almost forgot. everybody who pre-ordered Botanicula on GOG.com will get the full soundtrack, the art-book (not released yet) and Machinarium for free tomorrow. and of course you all have our eternal gratitude for supporting us:)”

27. gschmidl says:

EDIT: GOG didn’t know about this, apparently:

• RobF says:

I’m pretty sure it’s rather shitty of GoG to let Amanita take a load of abuse on their forums over this regardless of whether they knew about it or not.

• jlivius says:

What would you have GOG do?

• RobF says:

They could really start by pointing out that they’re *not* some sort of abused party here? That’d be nice, right? If people want to kick off about it being launched in a hundle, fair do’s, good luck to them but let’s face facts, GOG aren’t some poor child that have been hurt and beaten by the nasty developers here. And they should stand up for those whose catalogue they want on their service in some way.

Or do we anticipate that GOG’s reaction to something like this is to throw developers to the wolves and come out looking like white knights whenever anything, not necessarily Hundle-y, comes around that doesn’t fit with their program?

They might be innocent in this, I don’t know. I don’t think there is so much innocence and guilty in a series of business decisions. But if your sales partner won’t support you, what then?

GOG aren’t fluffy bunnies. They’re a business. And they have a choice how they run that business. Being “for the player” will only get them so far if that also involves not being “for the developer”. And unlike Robo-Steam, they have a public face with words people hang off. They can use them. And they can be both. And lo, it will be better for everyone if they are.

• Resonance says:

So you’re saying GoG, who will have lost sales from the antics of the developer, should act in the best interests of said developer.
            A business partner that didn’t tell them of the bundle they planned to put out [or so is the public line] and thus allowed GoG to heavily promote a game they believed they’d have little competition selling [given the game isn't out on Steam at the moment] only to lose a large amount of sales to HIB.

It would be a foolish business practice to defend the developer given those circumstances.

• RobF says:

What if it wasn’t like that? What if it wasn’t quite so black and white? It usually never is with these things, so I’m going to go out on a limb and figure it wasn’t here either.

Maybe I’m wrong and I’m being a twat, we’ll probably never know but my point stands. If you throw some developers to the wolves over one thing that you’re not happy with, that sends a loud and clear message to others. That you will do it again. And maybe they can justify it this time but maybe next time, they can’t but they do it anyway.

28. TomxJ says:

Kooky! Today has been incredible! This morning i get 3 games by Radian and this afternoon Amanita do this! yus!

29. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Holy crap. Getting this.

30. Plivesey says:

“Hey everyone; we just found out about the Humble Amanita Bundle. We’re not sure exactly what yet, but we’re going to come up with something for everyone who preordered Botanicula on GOG.com. Stay tuned and we’ll try to come up with something tomorrow.” – from GoG’s facebook page. Woo!

31. rei says:

This thing that just happened made me happy.

32. Shadrach says:

Well heck, I’ll just buy it again then. Played all of them and pre-ordered Botanicula, seen Kooky. I’m just such a Amanita fanboy :)

33. Kaira- says:

Apparently GOG is thinking of something for those of you who had Botanicula preordered from GOG. Here’s the Facebook-post from GOG.

34. Juxtapox says:

Well, I really opened up my wallet and payed 15$. Call me a hero if you want.
    Already had Samorost 2 and Machinarium though but was planning on buying Botanicula over at gog.com.

I think I got inspired over the thing that they did this at release.

35. rockman29 says:

I want it. RPS said I have to get it. My decision is made.

36. equatorian says:

Middle of work, but GRAB.

I’ve always wanted Windowsill but figured it was too expensive for what it was asking. Already have Machinarium, but as I don’t have Samorost 2 this is an excellent deal.

37. Darkchef says:

Definitely gonna grab this, although is Kooky actually a decent movie?

EDIT: Damn you bundles, you’ve taken money from me yet again!

38. TechnicalBen says:

Can you gift spare copies? Or shall I get someone else to buy it for me and gift me the ones I don’t have. :P

39. Kismet says:

Definitely poor form by Amanita Design.

Giving less to those who pre-ordered for more is quite silly.

40. Unfair says:

I wasn’t particularly impressed by this bundle, but I guess hardcore point-and-click fans might be. Here’s my way-shorter-than-normal review of all the games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3K8FZNfJs0

41. Tams80 says:

A charity I’m happy to donate to this time. =)

42. mwoody says:

Wow, what a tremendous “screw you” to the people who preordered. I didn’t think about it before I bought the bundle, or I might have paid considerably less.

A warning, too, for those who buy: Machinarium, Samarost 2, and Botanicula are all attached to one key. I had intended to use Machinarium to give to a non-gamer friend (sort of a gateway drug) but I can’t. I’m not whining about that part, mind you, just noting it for others.

Edit: I guess I could give the DRM-free version, come to think of it.

43. choie says:

Geeze, people who paid a grand total of $10 for a charming game are really upset? Obviously they judged the game worth $10 when they ordered the thing, so why the fuss now? Honestly, sometimes people drive me nuts. Actually I’m fascinated by the average price people are paying for this. Since I’m one of the few who didn’t own Machinarium or Samarost, I kicked in $20. But the average is (as of now) $8 and change, so clearly the vast majority of customers are paying… what, negative dollars? Not sure how that works but okay.

• Resonance says:

How difficult is it to understand people will feel short changed when they’re essentially $5 out of pocket with no benefit?

Indeed, given you can buy the HIB bundle at $5 and get a Steam key for all 3 games + DRM free versions, as opposed to a single DRM free game there’s more value in buying from HIB than GoG at the moment.

People are going to naturally regret their pre-order, but it’s the fact buyers are getting screwed over by supporting the developer that has people angry.

• jlivius says:

I don’t feel ripped off, but this is the sort of thing that should be discouraged. If this were EA or Activision withholding extras from preorder customers, people would be up in arms, with RPS leading the charge.

44. noodlecake says:

I bought it largely because I want to see Kooky! I don’t think I would have ought any of them separately even thought they are all beautiful and deserve money. Too poor right now.

Comment on this story