Starbreeze Smash And Grab PayDay Devs

By Adam Smith on April 19th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

A: We'll be your publisher from here on in. B: Yes. Quite.

I think it’s more of a polite corporate takeover (IF SUCH A THING EXISTS) than a masked, gun-toting robbery, but the fact remains that Syndicate Riddick developer Starbreeze is awaiting shareholder approval as it bids to buy Overkill Software, they of PayDay: The Heist. If it all goes ahead, Overkill shall continue enhancements of the first game while also working on a sequel, which must feature supernatural elements and go by the name HeistGeist. Starbreeze have plenty in development already, with three internal teams working on three separate games, including “free-to-playish” Cold Mercury, the self-funded P13 and one other mystery title.

Cold Mercury aims to channel what the company learned while creating Syndicate’s co-op mode, suggesting teamwork with the inevitable shooting. The use of “free-to-playish” to describe the game sets me up perfectly to say “all free-to-play is actually free-to-playish”, while some things are simply “free”.

P13 is being developed with the assistance of Swedish filmmaker Josef Fares, whose work I have hastily researched on Wikipedia. I expected a strong visual style, a predilection for adaptations of genre fiction or the Swedish equivalent of John Woo. Instead, I find that Josef is a young fellow who mostly makes comedies. Take Jalla! Jalla!:

Roro and Måns who are best friends, work at the park management and get to do all the shit jobs – clean up duck ponds and pick up dog poop.

Ho ho! Let’s hope the game is based on a similar concept, eh?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Blackcompany says:

Sounds like they’re, um, banking on the sequel making money….

• diebroken says:

Might have to cheque* this one out…

(* warning may not apply for US readers)

• barelyhomosapien says:

Lets hope that EA were the ones at vault for Syndicate and not these guys otherwise you could say I’ll be interest free.

• ColOfNature says:

Yeah, Starbreeze used to be a safe pair of hands – the Riddick games were generally to their credit. I would definitely coffer something like PayDay with less of the shooty and more of the sneaky.

2. ZIGS says:

Seems to me they’re focusing more and more on MP games. Which is a shame because the world NEEDS more games like Riddick. I know I do

3. Hoaxfish says:

Didn’t they sack a bunch of people just after Syndicate got released?

4. SirKicksalot says:

The Riddick team formed Machine Games and works on an id Tech 5 game for Zenimax. This Starbreeze is the Syndicate team, unfortunately.

5. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I really have no idea what Fares is supposed to bring to game development. He’s made appearances in a radio show about video games that I sometimes listened to, and while he’s obviously very passionate about the medium as a consumer, he often striked me as not very intellectual about it. His films are well known in Sweden though, and he definitely has a bit of talent. We shall see if that extends to games.

6. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Hello swedes,

Would you kindly make another Riddick game? It would please me tremendously.

Hugs and kisses from Denmark.

7. Tenerim says:

Well, for my point of view this might be extremely cheesy and epic, while Fares mostly makes comedies some of them contain ridiculous action sequences like something picked from Saints Row 3.
    Edit: If that and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSOMAraWx0 is possible in my game, then I am a happy person indeed.

8. scut says:

HeistGeist! HeistGeist HEISTGEIIIIIIIST!

9. Vraptor117 says:

I love Payday, still playing it, but damn do they need to add a few more maps to the game before they get to work on a sequel. They don’t even have to have super-unique premises like each of the originals, just some new environments.

10. Raiyne says:

Payday was such a disappointment, I really regret buying it. Uninspired braindead gameplay, ridiculous mountains of clips that have to be emptied in every game. Compensating for terrible police A.I. with sheer numbers of zombie cops being thrown at you, and every enemy being a bulletsponge, and the terrible gunplay in general. I know you’re supposed to ‘progress’, in the game, but I don’t want to have to play for 10+ hours before my gun starts behaving like a real gun.

11. morris80 says:

The actual Riddick crew created Equipment Video games as well as conditions the identity Technological Your five video game for Zenimax. This specific Starbreeze could be the Syndicate team, however.
    top 100 games sites

12. morris80 says:

Tera online private servers here: tera online private servers

13. GameDreamer says:

This game is leagues ahead of the first game. The definitely deserve the attention they are getting.

Free CD Key