World War Weird: Call Of Cthulhu – The Wasted Land

By Adam Smith on April 20th, 2012 at 12:32 pm.

Time to tentacle = surprisingly substantial

Turn-based Lovecraft game set during World War I, with crumbling sanity for all concerned? Oh, be still my murmuring heart. Not entirely still, obviously, because that tends to make me go blue in the face and then die, but do slow down a little. Actually, no need to call the doctor at all because the game in question is a port of iOS title Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land and I’ve already poked my fingers into its trenches and tentacles. There’s been at least one major update since I tinkered with it, but despite my initial attraction I did find the interface quite offputting. Hopefully that will be addressed when the tactical madness comes to PC on May 5th.

It’s launching through the Intel AppUp service, which I should probably have known about before now but didn’t. Unless I knew and forgot, perhaps pushing it from my mind because some things are not meant to be known. I do have a habit of mentally flinching whenever I’m required to use another layer of interference between myself and the games I’m trying to play.

Reservations aside, here’s hoping that the game works well on PC because the theme is strong and I felt like I should have been having a much better time, as apparently plenty of other people were. The atmosphere is decent, the strategy has depth but a combination of clumsiness and a sense of brevity, preventing commitment to the characters, left me a little cold. Although thankfully not blue in the face.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Mirqy says:

On iphone this was wonderfully xcommy but ruined by that interface (big fingers small screen) – should be solvable for the PC. There were also a couple of bugs with irreverably wasting hard won cash on an upgrade that wasn’t the one you selected, which put me off finishing it.
    But basically good, nourishing, lovecraftian action.

2. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Quite a lot of iOS games being ported to PC these days.

I approve.

3. iucounu says:

Yes, really nice on iPad. The first release had awful controls but an update fixed that for the most part. It’s not amazingly polished (I remember they had Lovecraft’s name spelled wrong on the splash screen for a while) but lovely XCOMish gameplay.

You are right about the brevity, and the storytelling is not particularly great, but I can’t possibly complain about it, as it was cheap as chips, too.

4. Pedanticjase says:

This game is way too hard and has no difficulty options

• iucounu says:

It’s not THAT hard. You just have to be a bit cautious. It’s not easy being a Cthulhu investigator!

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

You kidding? If you can die, you have all the skills necessary to be a proper investigator!

• Andy_Panthro says:

Are those PC screens? They look more like ipad ones to me, with buttons in the corner to rotate the viewpoint and stuff.

5. wodin says:

Turn base, WW1 and Cthulhu, all my favs in one. Fingers crossed.

• Geen says:

WW1 + Cthulhu? I think the Great Old Ones finally answered my prayers.

6. Lars Westergren says:

Cthulhu Intel App’Up fhtagn!

7. Bluerps says:

Not a big fan of WW1, but a turn based Cthulu game sounds interesting!

Though I’m a little wary of this AppUp thing. Are you sure it’s not some kind of eldritch abomination, that will eat the sanity of everyone who perceives it?

8. wu wei says:

I’d really like this and Winter Voices to breed.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

That would actually be a Lovecraftian horror.

9. Khemm says:

Sounds stupid for a CoC game, but awesome for a turn based strategy game.
    Is it going to be AppUp exclusive?… I’d approve of a GOG or Gamersgate version.

• Adam Smith says:

Certainly seems to be launching as an AppUp exclusive. No evidence of that changing at any point yet.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

One has to wonder why. It doesn’t seem like this will get much exposure that way. There was an application I wanted to buy once that was AppUp exclusive. But register with another service that I may never use again?
        Needless to say I never bought it.

• Khemm says:

I don’t know a single person who has heard of AppUp before I told them… Exposure or lack thereof wil certainly be an issue, which is a shame.

10. DestructibleEnvironments says:

Not to be a whore here, but the graphics are quite gnarly. Is there any chance we will see some updates on that front?

11. Shooop says:

There are not nearly enough Cthulhu-themed games out there. Any and all are welcome.

12. MythArcana says:

I wish the author of Dicenomicon would port to PC, but he seems happy in iOS land for some reason.