The RPS Bargain Bucket: Get It

By Lewie Procter on April 21st, 2012 at 12:37 pm.

There’s nothing I like more waking up on a Saturday morning, consuming a bacon sandwich, arming myself with a massive mug of tea, scouring the internet for the best deals on digital entertainment software for computer boxes, and then sharing the results of my research with you, the good readers of RPS. Are you ready for a figurative bucketful of cheap games? I hope so, because that’s what you’re about to get. You can rely on SavyGamer.co.uk for more of this sort of thing throughout the week. Here’s this week’s bargain bucket:

Botanicula, Machinarium & Samorost 2 – Pay What You Want
The assorted beautiful point and clicky output of Amanita Design, and their wonderful soundtracks, all for whatever price you happen to see fit. Also available as part of this bundle if you beat the average price is Windowsill, which looks a bit lovely, and feature film Kooky, which I’ll lazily describe as the Czech Toy Story (with everything that entails). To get Steam keys you have to pay $5 or more, which is a new move from the folks at the humble bundle. I gather it’s because Botanicula is a brand new game. Find out wot John thought of Botanicula by reading his words here.

The Witcher – £3.09/€3.77/$4.99
Some bloke called Kieron did something called a review of this over at a website called Eurogamer. Here’s a extract of it:

It’s the only PC RPG of the last couple of years which has committed to a high level of production values (at its best, the game is genuinely beautiful) to a traditional design (heavy on the conversation) with enough twists to make it feel novel. The setting being so nasty is a prime one – after a mass of sanitised RPGs, playing one where characters happily call each other abusive names makes a welcome change.

The rest can be found here.

Just Cause 2 – £3.49/€4.99/$3.74
Registers on Steam.
That’s some pretty harsh regional pricing bollocks, huh? Even if it is far cheaper in the USA than anywhere else, it’s still an excellent price for an excellent game in other regions too. Joh n said this about it:

Get it because you can steal planes from airports and ditch them into the sea. Get it because you can fly a helicopter up to unimaginable heights and then freefall for minutes. Get it because you can tether an enemy to the back of your boat and then drag him behind you. Get it because you can watch the sun set behind the mountains, as you fire a rocket into a water tower and see it cascade over the town below.

I think he thinks you should get it.

Hitman: Blood Money – £1.49/€2.50/$2.49
Jim said:

Blood Money is, like all the great puzzle games, about bettering yourself. You’re not just completing the game, you’re doing so with style. Also, as if you needed another reason to go back and dig out Blood Money, there is no other game to which, while playing, you can respond to the question “what are you up to?” with the answer: “I’m waiting on the sidewalk until the clown comes out of the house. Then I’ll strangle him, put on his clothes, and put him in the boot of his own van.” At which point your girlfriend leaves your cup to tea and backs away rather too quietly. No sudden moves…

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Saints Row: The Third & Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – £20.55
Add this, this & this to your basket, and apply coupon “MCVWINNERS”.
This is likely only available to buy if you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, although since all three of these games register on Steam, there’s nothing stopping you foreign types from recruiting a Britisher to take care of your purchasing for you, and then passing the serials your way. Here you get three of the games that you might want to play from the last year or so. One where you get to shoot men in a city, one where you get to shoot orcs, and one where you get to shoot or talk to men. It’s a diverse selection, and at £6.85 per game, it’s great value too.

Also of note:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – £2.49/€3.74/$3.74. Registers on Steam.
Ballistic, Depths of Peril, Inferno+, Slydris, Tobe’s Vertical Adventure & Unstoppable Gorg – £2.95/€3.60/$4.76 at time of writing.
Tropico 3 – $4.41
Wargame: European Escalation – $26.79. Registers on Steam.
Alan Wake – $20.09. Registers on Steam.
Alan Wake [Collectors Edition] – $23.44. Registers on Steam.
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition & Monkey Island 2: Special Edition – £3.56/€5.09/$5.09

SavyGamer.co.uk is where all the other cheap games live.

__________________

« | »

1. GT3000 says:

Mount and Blade is on sale as a bundle for less than 10 bucks on Steam.

EDIT: Steam has run out of keys for their MB bundle but not to worry, they’re getting restocked by Paradox. Don’t be surprised if you can’t jump into it immediately.

• d32 says:

All you need is Warband, I would say.
      And love, of course, love.

• Baines says:

Warband is $4.99 on Steam, but the bundle of the original, Warband, and Fire & Sword is only $7.50.

• disperse says:

Warband is the best vanilla version of the game; however, there are a few amazing mods that are only available for the original Mount & Blade.

I have the original Mount & Blade installed so I can play the Last Days of the Third Age mod.

2. Heliocentric says:

Tropico 3 should register on Impulse, mine did anyway.

3. Unfair says:

If you’re on the fence about the Humble Botanicula bundle I have a short video review, as usual. (This one is even shorter than normal because of the nature of the games)

Personally, I prefer the Royale and Groupees indie bundles that are still running. (Groupees has unlocked a lot of bonuses, and if you pay over 10 you get Killing Floor too)

• InternetBatman says:

Thanks for doing all these bundle reviews. A lot of the games are smaller and don’t really have reviews, so I’ve used yours a couple times to decide whether or not to buy them.

• malkav11 says:

The Groupees bundle has some nice gaming there. I just can’t bring myself to buy into it because I own literally every single game in it including all of the DLC that I care even slightly about.

4. karthink says:

Which of the Mount & Blades is a good place to start?

• Maldomel says:

I’d say warband, since it’s essentially like the first one but with more stuff (I think).
      With fire and sword is a bit different, you get firearms and a story loosely based on a real historical period.
      Both are very good imo, depends on your favorite setting (medieval or a more modern approach).

• JB says:

Warband for sure.

• UncleLou says:

Definitely Warband. F&S is based on the original M&B, so although it was released later, it’s less advanced than WB. Still, nicely different setting if you tire of WB.

There’s also no reason to play the original M&B at all anymore except for the odd mod.

• Randomer says:

Everyone I’ve listened to has said that Warband has everything from the original, plus more. I own it, and I am extremely pleased.

Fire and Sword is apparently based on the original M&B engine, so it lacks a lot of things that Warband has. In exchange, it has guns. I don’t think I’ve heard a single review that expounds picking F&S over Warband.

• Mattressi says:

Definitely Warband. It has a huge selection of singleplayer and multiplayer mods and is generally the one with the most content.

The multiplayer experience is quite different to the SP experience though – so if you don’t like one, try the other. Be warned though, there’s a very steep learning curve if you want to melee in multiplayer (directional blocking and swinging, feinting, footwork, etc) and it can be frustrating learning. It’s worth it in the end, IMO, though.

5. MeestaNob says:

FYI, Alan Wake link is yanks only.

• NR says:

It does work this side of the pond as well. Just make sure to use a US billing address and you’ll be fine.

6. misterT0AST says:

I found this, Gothic 3 for 5 bucks. Is it worth it?
    If the answer is “it’s a big mess full of bugs, but it’s still huge” then I might just buy it.
    Gothic 2 is also on sale for even less:
    Although if it’s much better than the sequel the Gold Edition is pretty cheap aswell:

What do you suggest?
    Gothic 2,
    Gothic 2 Gold,
    Gothic 3,
    or none of them?

• InternetBatman says:

Both Gothic and Gothic 2 are some of my favorite games. It’s definitely worth getting the Gothic 2 gold edition, because that adds the expansion which is both fun and fairly large.

Gothic is generally buggier, smaller (but still fairly large), and shorter, but it has a much more unique atmosphere. It was made by an inexperienced team, so it has tons of little touches to match out the bugs.

Gothic 2 is much bigger and more polished, but I would recommend playing it after Gothic. I highly recommend both of them.

You can skip Gothic 3 until a rainy day. It’s huge, pretty, has awesome terrain. But the combat system is terrible.

• Mattressi says:

Though, if you like to play a ranged character and like to aim your bow at enemies, get Gothic 3. In the first two, there’s only the option for auto targeting. Same for spells, IIRC. Also, Gothic 3 looks crap until you modify the config/ini file (can’t remember which) and increase the view distance.

They have demos, so I’d recommend you check the demos out to see which style you prefer before you commit to one over the other.

• Urthman says:

Gothic 3 has bugs and other problems, but there’s a fan patch that fixes pretty much all of them (everything from bugs to balance issues).

• smeaa mario says:

although I have to agree with everyone out there about the messy fighting system, I definitely recommend you to get gothic 3. seriously, everything about this game is lovely other than the fighting system. I can understand the discontent of hardcore gothic fans but try as I might, I am unable to classify the third game as a failure. if you ever plan to go for gothic 4, however, that is a different story. stay away from that gigantic disappointment for your own sake.

7. Apocryfa says:

Bought Space Marine on ShopTo and it didn’t give me an install key, proceed with caution.

• Condemn says:

i just bought Deus Ex: HR, Saints Row the Third and Dead Space 2 from the download section of ShopTo (didn’t fancy space marine) I got the download link for Dead Space 2, but for the other 2 it’s saying not released yet. Looks like i’ll have to wait till Monday for help on it, which sucks.

8. Inglourious Badger says:

Warning to anyone planning to register Just Cause 2 on Steam (wwhich appears to be the only way to play it): The game won’t download, my sole Steam copy hasn’t let me reinstall for about 3 months. There’s a few forum threads about it if you don’t believe me, it never gets past the ‘preparing files for install’ stage.

It’s a great game, very fun and pretty, and one of the first games I wanted to reinstall on my new rig to see it in DX11 glory, but Steam says no :(

• jamesgecko says:

Have you tried deleting clientregistry.blob? Do you have any gcf files hanging around in your steamapps folder?

9. the-stax says:

Looks like the Monkey Island deal is currently off – the link goes to a page showing it at full price, and when checked through the Steam store it shows the bundle with a discount of 0% !

• AlexClockwork says:

It was a Daily Deal, so yes, it’s already gone. Sorry!

10. Dominic White says:

DotEmu have their big uber-bundle on sale again:

$10 for 40 old games. Most good, some great, and even the bad ones are unique and interesting, as it includes the Silmarils pack.

11. Devan says:

Heads-up for those outside the UK:
    I’m in Canada and was able to create an account at ShopTo.net and had not problem purchasing Deus Ex:HR and adding it to steam. So looks like it’s not restricted after all :)

12. Raxin says:

Thanks for this! I keep a little bargain blog that I update twice a week, but I don’t really add any reviews. I missed Just Cause 2, so I’ll grab the Complete Edition from above.

13. amisysally says:

Very informative and trustworthy. Please keep updating with great posts like this one.Wood Pellet mill